PDA

View Full Version : Request for advice: 30 too late to become a vet?

Drue
January 13th 04, 11:32 PM
Hi.

I'm 30 and am thinking seriously about starting a second career as a
veterinarian. For the past ten years, I have enjoyed a fairly
lucrative career as a software engineer, but now I am very serious
about changing my line of work as I don't want to be in the computer
business my entire life. I'm told that pursuing a second career
relatively late in life is an uphill battle, but I'm ready to go for
it anyway.

Why veterinary medicine? I have had a life long interest in scientific
learning as well as a love for and understanding of animals. Even as a
kid I loved animal care taking and exhibited a relatively good ability
to recognize and evaluate animal health conditions.

While software engineering may have paid better than vet med, I'd like
to pursue a career where I can exercise my scientific skills while
performing some measure of stewardship towards nature. And, needless
to say, I really crave the satisfaction that comes from making a sick
patient well.

So, what do you think? In general, is 30 generally too late in life
to begin studying to be a vet? I think I'll need to go back to school
and earn another bachelor's degree that will cover my pre-veterinary
work before I can even consider med school. I have a long way to go.
Is there enough time at my age?

Thanks so much for reading this and for your advice,
Drue

Cat Protector
January 14th 04, 12:11 AM
I usually say go for it but just be prepared to go to medical school for at
least 4-6 years. I wouldn't become a vet if the scientific is all you want
out of it. I think a good vet has to truly care about the animal which is
not science. I think the one question to ask yourself is if you would want
you to care for a sick or injured animal? If someone came to you and wanted
to have their cat declawed, would you talk them out of it or say "no
problem." I know I would not want a vet who was pro-dcelaw.

I myself prefer to be in the computer business because I enjoy it and when
you work for yourself like I do, you really meet some nice customers and at
the same time are allowed to pursue other goals. You also discover how much
that what you do makes a difference.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Drue" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi.
>
> I'm 30 and am thinking seriously about starting a second career as a
> veterinarian. For the past ten years, I have enjoyed a fairly
> lucrative career as a software engineer, but now I am very serious
> about changing my line of work as I don't want to be in the computer
> business my entire life. I'm told that pursuing a second career
> relatively late in life is an uphill battle, but I'm ready to go for
> it anyway.
>
> Why veterinary medicine? I have had a life long interest in scientific
> learning as well as a love for and understanding of animals. Even as a
> kid I loved animal care taking and exhibited a relatively good ability
> to recognize and evaluate animal health conditions.
>
> While software engineering may have paid better than vet med, I'd like
> to pursue a career where I can exercise my scientific skills while
> performing some measure of stewardship towards nature. And, needless
> to say, I really crave the satisfaction that comes from making a sick
> patient well.
>
> So, what do you think? In general, is 30 generally too late in life
> to begin studying to be a vet? I think I'll need to go back to school
> and earn another bachelor's degree that will cover my pre-veterinary
> work before I can even consider med school. I have a long way to go.
> Is there enough time at my age?
>
> Thanks so much for reading this and for your advice,
> Drue

Cat Protector
January 14th 04, 12:11 AM
I usually say go for it but just be prepared to go to medical school for at
least 4-6 years. I wouldn't become a vet if the scientific is all you want
out of it. I think a good vet has to truly care about the animal which is
not science. I think the one question to ask yourself is if you would want
you to care for a sick or injured animal? If someone came to you and wanted
to have their cat declawed, would you talk them out of it or say "no
problem." I know I would not want a vet who was pro-dcelaw.

I myself prefer to be in the computer business because I enjoy it and when
you work for yourself like I do, you really meet some nice customers and at
the same time are allowed to pursue other goals. You also discover how much
that what you do makes a difference.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Drue" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi.
>
> I'm 30 and am thinking seriously about starting a second career as a
> veterinarian. For the past ten years, I have enjoyed a fairly
> lucrative career as a software engineer, but now I am very serious
> about changing my line of work as I don't want to be in the computer
> business my entire life. I'm told that pursuing a second career
> relatively late in life is an uphill battle, but I'm ready to go for
> it anyway.
>
> Why veterinary medicine? I have had a life long interest in scientific
> learning as well as a love for and understanding of animals. Even as a
> kid I loved animal care taking and exhibited a relatively good ability
> to recognize and evaluate animal health conditions.
>
> While software engineering may have paid better than vet med, I'd like
> to pursue a career where I can exercise my scientific skills while
> performing some measure of stewardship towards nature. And, needless
> to say, I really crave the satisfaction that comes from making a sick
> patient well.
>
> So, what do you think? In general, is 30 generally too late in life
> to begin studying to be a vet? I think I'll need to go back to school
> and earn another bachelor's degree that will cover my pre-veterinary
> work before I can even consider med school. I have a long way to go.
> Is there enough time at my age?
>
> Thanks so much for reading this and for your advice,
> Drue

Ted Davis
January 14th 04, 12:44 AM
On 13 Jan 2004 15:32:23 -0800, (Drue) wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I'm 30 and am thinking seriously about starting a second career as a
>veterinarian. For the past ten years, I have enjoyed a fairly
>lucrative career as a software engineer, but now I am very serious
>about changing my line of work as I don't want to be in the computer
>business my entire life. I'm told that pursuing a second career
>relatively late in life is an uphill battle, but I'm ready to go for
>it anyway.

Thirty is young. I work for a technology university and deal with
students who are older then you - most are graduate students, but some
are working on their first BS. The woman I'm giving Sebastian (back)
to Friday came back for a second BS, and is now working on her Masters
- she's about seven years older than you. The education part is more
a matter of financing than age. I can't comment on other aspects.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)

Ted Davis
January 14th 04, 12:44 AM
On 13 Jan 2004 15:32:23 -0800, (Drue) wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I'm 30 and am thinking seriously about starting a second career as a
>veterinarian. For the past ten years, I have enjoyed a fairly
>lucrative career as a software engineer, but now I am very serious
>about changing my line of work as I don't want to be in the computer
>business my entire life. I'm told that pursuing a second career
>relatively late in life is an uphill battle, but I'm ready to go for
>it anyway.

Thirty is young. I work for a technology university and deal with
students who are older then you - most are graduate students, but some
are working on their first BS. The woman I'm giving Sebastian (back)
to Friday came back for a second BS, and is now working on her Masters
- she's about seven years older than you. The education part is more
a matter of financing than age. I can't comment on other aspects.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)

m. L. Briggs
January 14th 04, 12:59 AM
On 13 Jan 2004 15:32:23 -0800, (Drue) wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I'm 30 and am thinking seriously about starting a second career as a
>veterinarian. For the past ten years, I have enjoyed a fairly
>lucrative career as a software engineer, but now I am very serious
>about changing my line of work as I don't want to be in the computer
>business my entire life. I'm told that pursuing a second career
>relatively late in life is an uphill battle, but I'm ready to go for
>it anyway.
>
>Why veterinary medicine? I have had a life long interest in scientific
>learning as well as a love for and understanding of animals. Even as a
>kid I loved animal care taking and exhibited a relatively good ability
>to recognize and evaluate animal health conditions.
>
>While software engineering may have paid better than vet med, I'd like
>to pursue a career where I can exercise my scientific skills while
>performing some measure of stewardship towards nature. And, needless
>to say, I really crave the satisfaction that comes from making a sick
>patient well.
>
>So, what do you think? In general, is 30 generally too late in life
>to begin studying to be a vet? I think I'll need to go back to school
>and earn another bachelor's degree that will cover my pre-veterinary
>work before I can even consider med school. I have a long way to go.
>Is there enough time at my age?
>
>Thanks so much for reading this and for your advice,
>Drue
Quote: "Where's there is a will, there is a way".

m. L. Briggs
January 14th 04, 12:59 AM
On 13 Jan 2004 15:32:23 -0800, (Drue) wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I'm 30 and am thinking seriously about starting a second career as a
>veterinarian. For the past ten years, I have enjoyed a fairly
>lucrative career as a software engineer, but now I am very serious
>about changing my line of work as I don't want to be in the computer
>business my entire life. I'm told that pursuing a second career
>relatively late in life is an uphill battle, but I'm ready to go for
>it anyway.
>
>Why veterinary medicine? I have had a life long interest in scientific
>learning as well as a love for and understanding of animals. Even as a
>kid I loved animal care taking and exhibited a relatively good ability
>to recognize and evaluate animal health conditions.
>
>While software engineering may have paid better than vet med, I'd like
>to pursue a career where I can exercise my scientific skills while
>performing some measure of stewardship towards nature. And, needless
>to say, I really crave the satisfaction that comes from making a sick
>patient well.
>
>So, what do you think? In general, is 30 generally too late in life
>to begin studying to be a vet? I think I'll need to go back to school
>and earn another bachelor's degree that will cover my pre-veterinary
>work before I can even consider med school. I have a long way to go.
>Is there enough time at my age?
>
>Thanks so much for reading this and for your advice,
>Drue
Quote: "Where's there is a will, there is a way".

Luvskats00
January 14th 04, 04:28 AM
(Drue)
writes

>I'm 30 and am thinking seriously about starting a second career as a
>veterinarian....I'm told that pursuing >a second career
>relatively late in life is an uphill battle, but I'm ready to go for
>it anyway.

"late in life" is a relative term....but 30 is far from late in life. Many
people switch careers at various ages...from being downsized from their company
and needing another occupation to being unhappy with their chosen profession
and wanting to try something new. Becoming a veterinarian requires a large
committment with finances, studies, and time. If you're relatively sure that
you'd like to diagnose, treat, operate - and even euthenize (when needed) then
go for it. Have you checked into vet schools to see how much is required?
People have gone to med school...law school..vet school at 50-60 (and more)
years of age!

>work before I can even consider med school. I have a long way to go.
>Is there enough time at my age?
>
>Thanks so much for reading this and for your advice,
>Drue

Luvskats00
January 14th 04, 04:28 AM
(Drue)
writes

>I'm 30 and am thinking seriously about starting a second career as a
>veterinarian....I'm told that pursuing >a second career
>relatively late in life is an uphill battle, but I'm ready to go for
>it anyway.

"late in life" is a relative term....but 30 is far from late in life. Many
people switch careers at various ages...from being downsized from their company
and needing another occupation to being unhappy with their chosen profession
and wanting to try something new. Becoming a veterinarian requires a large
committment with finances, studies, and time. If you're relatively sure that
you'd like to diagnose, treat, operate - and even euthenize (when needed) then
go for it. Have you checked into vet schools to see how much is required?
People have gone to med school...law school..vet school at 50-60 (and more)
years of age!

>work before I can even consider med school. I have a long way to go.
>Is there enough time at my age?
>
>Thanks so much for reading this and for your advice,
>Drue

MaryL
January 14th 04, 04:53 AM
"Drue" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi.
>
> I'm 30 and am thinking seriously about starting a second career as a
> veterinarian. For the past ten years, I have enjoyed a fairly
> lucrative career as a software engineer, but now I am very serious
> about changing my line of work as I don't want to be in the computer
> business my entire life. I'm told that pursuing a second career
> relatively late in life is an uphill battle, but I'm ready to go for
> it anyway.
>
> Why veterinary medicine? I have had a life long interest in scientific
> learning as well as a love for and understanding of animals. Even as a
> kid I loved animal care taking and exhibited a relatively good ability
> to recognize and evaluate animal health conditions.
>
> While software engineering may have paid better than vet med, I'd like
> to pursue a career where I can exercise my scientific skills while
> performing some measure of stewardship towards nature. And, needless
> to say, I really crave the satisfaction that comes from making a sick
> patient well.
>
> So, what do you think? In general, is 30 generally too late in life
> to begin studying to be a vet? I think I'll need to go back to school
> and earn another bachelor's degree that will cover my pre-veterinary
> work before I can even consider med school. I have a long way to go.
> Is there enough time at my age?
>
> Thanks so much for reading this and for your advice,
> Drue

My cousin worked as a pharmacist for 15 years, then entered medical school
at approximately age 40. He interned at the Mayo Clinic. So there is no
reason to view 30 as "too late" to enter veterinary school. However, you
may find that age will be seen as a negative factor in the admissions
process, and that is something you will need to overcome. I would suggest
that you have a serious discussion with administrators at a couple of
veterinary colleges. Incidentally, you probably already know this -- but
admission to vet school is even more difficult/selective than admission to
medical school.

MaryL

MaryL
January 14th 04, 04:53 AM
"Drue" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi.
>
> I'm 30 and am thinking seriously about starting a second career as a
> veterinarian. For the past ten years, I have enjoyed a fairly
> lucrative career as a software engineer, but now I am very serious
> about changing my line of work as I don't want to be in the computer
> business my entire life. I'm told that pursuing a second career
> relatively late in life is an uphill battle, but I'm ready to go for
> it anyway.
>
> Why veterinary medicine? I have had a life long interest in scientific
> learning as well as a love for and understanding of animals. Even as a
> kid I loved animal care taking and exhibited a relatively good ability
> to recognize and evaluate animal health conditions.
>
> While software engineering may have paid better than vet med, I'd like
> to pursue a career where I can exercise my scientific skills while
> performing some measure of stewardship towards nature. And, needless
> to say, I really crave the satisfaction that comes from making a sick
> patient well.
>
> So, what do you think? In general, is 30 generally too late in life
> to begin studying to be a vet? I think I'll need to go back to school
> and earn another bachelor's degree that will cover my pre-veterinary
> work before I can even consider med school. I have a long way to go.
> Is there enough time at my age?
>
> Thanks so much for reading this and for your advice,
> Drue

My cousin worked as a pharmacist for 15 years, then entered medical school
at approximately age 40. He interned at the Mayo Clinic. So there is no
reason to view 30 as "too late" to enter veterinary school. However, you
may find that age will be seen as a negative factor in the admissions
process, and that is something you will need to overcome. I would suggest
that you have a serious discussion with administrators at a couple of
veterinary colleges. Incidentally, you probably already know this -- but
admission to vet school is even more difficult/selective than admission to
medical school.

MaryL

Sylvia M.
January 14th 04, 06:35 AM
"Drue" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi.
>
> I'm 30 and am thinking seriously about starting a second career as a
> veterinarian. For the past ten years, I have enjoyed a fairly
> lucrative career as a software engineer, but now I am very serious
> about changing my line of work as I don't want to be in the computer
> business my entire life. I'm told that pursuing a second career
> relatively late in life is an uphill battle, but I'm ready to go for
> it anyway.
>
> Why veterinary medicine? I have had a life long interest in scientific
> learning as well as a love for and understanding of animals. Even as a
> kid I loved animal care taking and exhibited a relatively good ability
> to recognize and evaluate animal health conditions.
>
> While software engineering may have paid better than vet med, I'd like
> to pursue a career where I can exercise my scientific skills while
> performing some measure of stewardship towards nature. And, needless
> to say, I really crave the satisfaction that comes from making a sick
> patient well.
>
> So, what do you think? In general, is 30 generally too late in life
> to begin studying to be a vet? I think I'll need to go back to school
> and earn another bachelor's degree that will cover my pre-veterinary
> work before I can even consider med school. I have a long way to go.
> Is there enough time at my age?
>
> Thanks so much for reading this and for your advice,
> Drue

I went back in my adult years to get a teaching degree.
Did much better, study and gradewise than I did fresh out of High School.
Talk to a few vets as part of your re-thinking careers.

Sylvia

Sylvia M.
January 14th 04, 06:35 AM
"Drue" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi.
>
> I'm 30 and am thinking seriously about starting a second career as a
> veterinarian. For the past ten years, I have enjoyed a fairly
> lucrative career as a software engineer, but now I am very serious
> about changing my line of work as I don't want to be in the computer
> business my entire life. I'm told that pursuing a second career
> relatively late in life is an uphill battle, but I'm ready to go for
> it anyway.
>
> Why veterinary medicine? I have had a life long interest in scientific
> learning as well as a love for and understanding of animals. Even as a
> kid I loved animal care taking and exhibited a relatively good ability
> to recognize and evaluate animal health conditions.
>
> While software engineering may have paid better than vet med, I'd like
> to pursue a career where I can exercise my scientific skills while
> performing some measure of stewardship towards nature. And, needless
> to say, I really crave the satisfaction that comes from making a sick
> patient well.
>
> So, what do you think? In general, is 30 generally too late in life
> to begin studying to be a vet? I think I'll need to go back to school
> and earn another bachelor's degree that will cover my pre-veterinary
> work before I can even consider med school. I have a long way to go.
> Is there enough time at my age?
>
> Thanks so much for reading this and for your advice,
> Drue

I went back in my adult years to get a teaching degree.
Did much better, study and gradewise than I did fresh out of High School.
Talk to a few vets as part of your re-thinking careers.

Sylvia

Chester
January 14th 04, 08:35 AM
"Drue" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi.
>
> I'm 30 and am thinking seriously about starting a second career as a
> veterinarian. For the past ten years, I have enjoyed a fairly
> lucrative career as a software engineer, but now I am very serious
> about changing my line of work as I don't want to be in the computer
> business my entire life. I'm told that pursuing a second career
> relatively late in life is an uphill battle, but I'm ready to go for
> it anyway.
>
> Why veterinary medicine? I have had a life long interest in scientific
> learning as well as a love for and understanding of animals. Even as a
> kid I loved animal care taking and exhibited a relatively good ability
> to recognize and evaluate animal health conditions.
>
> While software engineering may have paid better than vet med, I'd like
> to pursue a career where I can exercise my scientific skills while
> performing some measure of stewardship towards nature. And, needless
> to say, I really crave the satisfaction that comes from making a sick
> patient well.
>
> So, what do you think? In general, is 30 generally too late in life
> to begin studying to be a vet? I think I'll need to go back to school
> and earn another bachelor's degree that will cover my pre-veterinary
> work before I can even consider med school. I have a long way to go.
> Is there enough time at my age?
>
> Thanks so much for reading this and for your advice,
> Drue

You're going to be 36 eventually. Why not be a 36 year old veterinarian?
I'm 35 and taking university courses toward a degree. Hopefully I'll have a
military pension and a degree so I can start my next career at 40.

--
Chester
http://chester_vaughn.tripod.com/

My psychiatrist said. . .
"Positive results within a year, or your mania back."

Chester
January 14th 04, 08:35 AM
om...