PDA

View Full Version : In need of grooming strategy...............

Arwen
January 18th 04, 03:25 AM
I acquired, rescued, a Himalayan cat. At the time he was almost dead from lack of food (It's obvious now that he was a show cat and didn't have a clue how to hunt). He had absesses and ticks and foxtails (I live in the mountains)and very little fur. (God knows how a show cat got lost up here! Anyway, time has past and now that he has been pampered for a year, his gorgeous genetics are quite apparent....Oh my does he have a ton of fur! My problem, he will not let me brush him. Major attack of both the comb, brush, and me.....I know these cats are supposed to be groomed regularly to avoid ingesting too much hair....but what to do. I have a farm with many animals and necessity requires I do all my own maintenance....groomers are a luxury not in my budget....so anyone with tips would be much appreciated. I have thought of trying sports tape on his feet, but then how do I get it off? Thanks

Suzie-Q
January 18th 04, 03:33 AM
Arwen wrote:

> I acquired, rescued, a Himalayan cat. At the time he was almost dead from lack of food (It's obvious now that he
> was a show cat and didn't have a clue how to hunt). He had absesses and ticks and foxtails (I live in the
> mountains)and very little fur. (God knows how a show cat got lost up here! Anyway, time has past and now that he has
> been pampered for a year, his gorgeous genetics are quite apparent....Oh my does he have a ton of fur! My problem,
> he will not let me brush him. Major attack of both the comb, brush, and me.....I know these cats are supposed to be
> groomed regularly to avoid ingesting too much hair....but what to do. I have a farm with many animals and necessity
> requires I do all my own maintenance....groomers are a luxury not in my budget....so anyone with tips would be much
> appreciated. I have thought of trying sports tape on his feet, but then how do I get it off? Thanks

I would see if I could find some sort of approved cat sedative. You
might get something cheap from your vet (you'd only need one dose at
a time), or maybe the folks in this group or others could give you
the names of some OTC sedatives. Try news:alt.med.veterinary and/or
news:rec.pets.cats.health+behav .

8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/