PDA

View Full Version : Need help in NYC trapping a mom and her three kittens

Patricia
February 5th 04, 03:54 AM
Dear cats lovers,

I am trying to help stray cats around my building in Harlem.

I discovered a young cat mom 10 days ago. She gave birth under the
stairs of the garbage area of our building. It is a covered area, but
the ceiling leaks and it is quite cold.

The next morning, one little kitten was dead. It was in a freezing
night.
I'm trying to construct a shelter with boxes the best I can. I also
bought insulation/warming pad. But my means are limited.- I have to
deal with my 3 cats, 2 of them having health issues (cancer and
allergies).

I rescue cats from time to time, when they are friendly.
She is feral. So I would like to have her spayed and released. But the
kitten could be placed for adoption.
They are probably too young to be separated from the mom. I estimate
them 5 to 6 weeks old. They are already eating the food I put out.
So the best would be to have them in a foster place with the mom
first.

I am emotionnaly under pressure with my cats health problems and
thinking of these little being ouside in the cold stresses me a lot.
That's why I am trying to find some help to rescue them.

We would need a trap and people who know what would be the best way to
do this.

I really hope someone will be able to help me, her and the little
ones!

Thanks!

Patricia

Chris
February 5th 04, 04:47 AM
There are many, many rescue groups in NYC--one nearby might be
building on Audubon Terrace (155 St. and Broadway) and the George Washington
Bridge.

Strays from the Heights
New York, NY 10032
Email:

this is link to their home page--if they can't help they should be able to
refer you to someone who can...

http://www1.cuny.edu/~marta/index.html

I've been contacting many local rescue groups in an attempt to place a FELV+
cat (Big Boy in earlier posts) & if this group can't help, let me know &
I'll see if I can find other ones... dont't give up...
Chris

"Patricia" > wrote in message
om...
> Dear cats lovers,
>
> I am trying to help stray cats around my building in Harlem.
>
> I discovered a young cat mom 10 days ago. She gave birth under the
> stairs of the garbage area of our building. It is a covered area, but
> the ceiling leaks and it is quite cold.
>
> The next morning, one little kitten was dead. It was in a freezing
> night.
> I'm trying to construct a shelter with boxes the best I can. I also
> bought insulation/warming pad. But my means are limited.- I have to
> deal with my 3 cats, 2 of them having health issues (cancer and
> allergies).
>
> I rescue cats from time to time, when they are friendly.
> She is feral. So I would like to have her spayed and released. But the
> kitten could be placed for adoption.
> They are probably too young to be separated from the mom. I estimate
> them 5 to 6 weeks old. They are already eating the food I put out.
> So the best would be to have them in a foster place with the mom
> first.
>
> I am emotionnaly under pressure with my cats health problems and
> thinking of these little being ouside in the cold stresses me a lot.
> That's why I am trying to find some help to rescue them.
>
> We would need a trap and people who know what would be the best way to
> do this.
>
> I really hope someone will be able to help me, her and the little
> ones!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Patricia

Chris
February 5th 04, 04:47 AM
There are many, many rescue groups in NYC--one nearby might be
building on Audubon Terrace (155 St. and Broadway) and the George Washington
Bridge.

Strays from the Heights
New York, NY 10032
Email:

this is link to their home page--if they can't help they should be able to
refer you to someone who can...

http://www1.cuny.edu/~marta/index.html

I've been contacting many local rescue groups in an attempt to place a FELV+
cat (Big Boy in earlier posts) & if this group can't help, let me know &
I'll see if I can find other ones... dont't give up...
Chris

"Patricia" > wrote in message
om...
> Dear cats lovers,
>
> I am trying to help stray cats around my building in Harlem.
>
> I discovered a young cat mom 10 days ago. She gave birth under the
> stairs of the garbage area of our building. It is a covered area, but
> the ceiling leaks and it is quite cold.
>
> The next morning, one little kitten was dead. It was in a freezing
> night.
> I'm trying to construct a shelter with boxes the best I can. I also
> bought insulation/warming pad. But my means are limited.- I have to
> deal with my 3 cats, 2 of them having health issues (cancer and
> allergies).
>
> I rescue cats from time to time, when they are friendly.
> She is feral. So I would like to have her spayed and released. But the
> kitten could be placed for adoption.
> They are probably too young to be separated from the mom. I estimate
> them 5 to 6 weeks old. They are already eating the food I put out.
> So the best would be to have them in a foster place with the mom
> first.
>
> I am emotionnaly under pressure with my cats health problems and
> thinking of these little being ouside in the cold stresses me a lot.
> That's why I am trying to find some help to rescue them.
>
> We would need a trap and people who know what would be the best way to
> do this.
>
> I really hope someone will be able to help me, her and the little
> ones!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Patricia

Wendy
February 5th 04, 02:58 PM
They are not too young to be separated from Mom. In fact the sooner the
better at this point from a socializing standpoint. They are probably weaned
or mostly so by now so I'd go for it.

"Patricia" > wrote in message
[...]

February 8th 04, 05:54 AM
Did you have any luck in getting help to trap them?

"Patricia" > wrote in message
om...
> Dear cats lovers,
>
> I am trying to help stray cats around my building in Harlem.
>
> I discovered a young cat mom 10 days ago. She gave birth under the
> stairs of the garbage area of our building. It is a covered area, but
> the ceiling leaks and it is quite cold.
>
> The next morning, one little kitten was dead. It was in a freezing
> night.
> I'm trying to construct a shelter with boxes the best I can. I also
> bought insulation/warming pad. But my means are limited.- I have to
> deal with my 3 cats, 2 of them having health issues (cancer and
> allergies).
>
> I rescue cats from time to time, when they are friendly.
> She is feral. So I would like to have her spayed and released. But the
> kitten could be placed for adoption.
> They are probably too young to be separated from the mom. I estimate
> them 5 to 6 weeks old. They are already eating the food I put out.
> So the best would be to have them in a foster place with the mom
> first.
>
> I am emotionnaly under pressure with my cats health problems and
> thinking of these little being ouside in the cold stresses me a lot.
> That's why I am trying to find some help to rescue them.
>
> We would need a trap and people who know what would be the best way to
> do this.
>
> I really hope someone will be able to help me, her and the little
> ones!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Patricia

Chris
February 8th 04, 05:54 AM
Did you have any luck in getting help to trap them?

"Patricia" > wrote in message
om...
> Dear cats lovers,
>
> I am trying to help stray cats around my building in Harlem.
>
> I discovered a young cat mom 10 days ago. She gave birth under the
> stairs of the garbage area of our building. It is a covered area, but
> the ceiling leaks and it is quite cold.
>
> The next morning, one little kitten was dead. It was in a freezing
> night.
> I'm trying to construct a shelter with boxes the best I can. I also
> bought insulation/warming pad. But my means are limited.- I have to
> deal with my 3 cats, 2 of them having health issues (cancer and
> allergies).
>
> I rescue cats from time to time, when they are friendly.
> She is feral. So I would like to have her spayed and released. But the
> kitten could be placed for adoption.
> They are probably too young to be separated from the mom. I estimate
> them 5 to 6 weeks old. They are already eating the food I put out.
> So the best would be to have them in a foster place with the mom
> first.
>
> I am emotionnaly under pressure with my cats health problems and
> thinking of these little being ouside in the cold stresses me a lot.
> That's why I am trying to find some help to rescue them.
>
> We would need a trap and people who know what would be the best way to
> do this.
>
> I really hope someone will be able to help me, her and the little
> ones!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Patricia

Patricia
February 9th 04, 02:13 AM
Dear friends,

I am very relieved to announce that with the help of a local rescue
group -StrayFromTheHeights- we were able to get the three kittens and
later to trap successfully the mom.

They are now recovering from these very hard last weeks in a warm and
loving foster
home.

And apparently, the mother seems 'quite' friendly an trusting enough
to let Cathy, the co-rescuer and foster mom taking care of her little
ones.

I would like to thank here from all my hart every one who supported me
with this rescue.
I have been extremly stressed and all your supporting words and
assistance have made the difference and allowed this action to be
successful!

Patricia

(Patricia) wrote in message >...
> Dear cats lovers,
>
> I am trying to help stray cats around my building in Harlem.
>
> I discovered a young cat mom 10 days ago. She gave birth under the
> stairs of the garbage area of our building. It is a covered area, but
> the ceiling leaks and it is quite cold.
>
> The next morning, one little kitten was dead. It was in a freezing
> night.
> I'm trying to construct a shelter with boxes the best I can. I also
> bought insulation/warming pad. But my means are limited.- I have to
> deal with my 3 cats, 2 of them having health issues (cancer and
> allergies).
>
> I rescue cats from time to time, when they are friendly.
> She is feral. So I would like to have her spayed and released. But the
> kitten could be placed for adoption.
> They are probably too young to be separated from the mom. I estimate
> them 5 to 6 weeks old. They are already eating the food I put out.
> So the best would be to have them in a foster place with the mom
> first.
>
> I am emotionnaly under pressure with my cats health problems and
> thinking of these little being ouside in the cold stresses me a lot.
> That's why I am trying to find some help to rescue them.
>
> We would need a trap and people who know what would be the best way to
> do this.
>
> I really hope someone will be able to help me, her and the little
> ones!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Patricia

Chris
February 9th 04, 06:08 AM
Great news.... It was super that you persevered....

"Patricia" > wrote in message
om...
> Dear friends,
>
> I am very relieved to announce that with the help of a local rescue
> group -StrayFromTheHeights- we were able to get the three kittens and
> later to trap successfully the mom.
>
> They are now recovering from these very hard last weeks in a warm and
> loving foster
> home.
>
> And apparently, the mother seems 'quite' friendly an trusting enough
> to let Cathy, the co-rescuer and foster mom taking care of her little
> ones.
>
> I would like to thank here from all my hart every one who supported me
> with this rescue.
> I have been extremly stressed and all your supporting words and
> assistance have made the difference and allowed this action to be
> successful!
>
> Patricia
>

> (Patricia) wrote in message
> > Dear cats lovers,
> >
> > I am trying to help stray cats around my building in Harlem.
> >
> > I discovered a young cat mom 10 days ago. She gave birth under the
> > stairs of the garbage area of our building. It is a covered area, but
> > the ceiling leaks and it is quite cold.
> >
> > The next morning, one little kitten was dead. It was in a freezing
> > night.
> > I'm trying to construct a shelter with boxes the best I can. I also
> > bought insulation/warming pad. But my means are limited.- I have to
> > deal with my 3 cats, 2 of them having health issues (cancer and
> > allergies).
> >
> > I rescue cats from time to time, when they are friendly.
> > She is feral. So I would like to have her spayed and released. But the
> > kitten could be placed for adoption.
> > They are probably too young to be separated from the mom. I estimate
> > them 5 to 6 weeks old. They are already eating the food I put out.
> > So the best would be to have them in a foster place with the mom
> > first.
> >
> > I am emotionnaly under pressure with my cats health problems and
> > thinking of these little being ouside in the cold stresses me a lot.
> > That's why I am trying to find some help to rescue them.
> >
> > We would need a trap and people who know what would be the best way to
> > do this.
> >
> > I really hope someone will be able to help me, her and the little
> > ones!
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Patricia

Chris
February 9th 04, 06:08 AM
Great news.... It was super that you persevered....

om...