PDA

View Full Version : Kidney stones question?

Chris
February 8th 04, 02:04 AM
My Mainecoon cat has been diagnosed with kidney stones. I was hoping
to get some feedback from other cat owners who have expierienced this.
What treatment did you seek? Was surgery involved? A change in diet?
My vet says he is a time bomb waiting to explode. He said there is
really nothing he can do. Also maybe some links to websites to do some
research.
Thanks in advance
Chris

Bob Brenchley.
February 8th 04, 10:12 AM
On 7 Feb 2004 17:04:03 -0800, (Chris) wrote:

>My Mainecoon cat has been diagnosed with kidney stones. I was hoping
>to get some feedback from other cat owners who have expierienced this.
>What treatment did you seek? Was surgery involved? A change in diet?
>My vet says he is a time bomb waiting to explode. He said there is
>really nothing he can do. Also maybe some links to websites to do some
>research.
>Thanks in advance
>Chris

Like crystals in the bladder, diet plays a very important role in
preventing kidney stones, but in this case has little effect in
removing them - that requires surgery.

It is not a complex operation, though of course few operations are
cheap.

In humans there is a method of breaking up stones using very low
frequency sound. The human in place in a bath of water that allowed
the sound to pass through to hit the stoned just like a sonic hammer,
without damaging tissue in the way. I don't know whether cats have
ever been given this sort of treatment.

If your vet reckons there is little he can do then please, find
another vet for a second opinion.

--
Bob.

distinction is yours to draw...

Bob Brenchley.
February 8th 04, 10:12 AM
On 7 Feb 2004 17:04:03 -0800, (Chris) wrote:

>My Mainecoon cat has been diagnosed with kidney stones. I was hoping
>to get some feedback from other cat owners who have expierienced this.
>What treatment did you seek? Was surgery involved? A change in diet?
>My vet says he is a time bomb waiting to explode. He said there is
>really nothing he can do. Also maybe some links to websites to do some
>research.
>Thanks in advance
>Chris

Like crystals in the bladder, diet plays a very important role in
preventing kidney stones, but in this case has little effect in
removing them - that requires surgery.

It is not a complex operation, though of course few operations are
cheap.

In humans there is a method of breaking up stones using very low
frequency sound. The human in place in a bath of water that allowed
the sound to pass through to hit the stoned just like a sonic hammer,
without damaging tissue in the way. I don't know whether cats have
ever been given this sort of treatment.

If your vet reckons there is little he can do then please, find
another vet for a second opinion.

--
Bob.

distinction is yours to draw...

terry & bobby kerr
February 18th 04, 01:01 PM
hi chris,
i would suggest you get the opinion of another vet !
my own cat {connor} had surgery,, he actually had a blocked
penis with stones,, it was brilliant how he recovered .
i cant remember the proper spelling for the procedure,, A URITHSECTOMY ????
IF I FIND MY CAT MEDICAL BOOKS I WILL LET YOU KNOW . REGARDS TERRY KERR
DERBYSHIRE UK
"Chris" > wrote in message
om...
> My Mainecoon cat has been diagnosed with kidney stones. I was hoping
> to get some feedback from other cat owners who have expierienced this.
> What treatment did you seek? Was surgery involved? A change in diet?
> My vet says he is a time bomb waiting to explode. He said there is
> really nothing he can do. Also maybe some links to websites to do some
> research.
> Thanks in advance
> Chris

terry & bobby kerr
February 18th 04, 01:01 PM
hi chris,
i would suggest you get the opinion of another vet !
my own cat {connor} had surgery,, he actually had a blocked
penis with stones,, it was brilliant how he recovered .
i cant remember the proper spelling for the procedure,, A URITHSECTOMY ????
IF I FIND MY CAT MEDICAL BOOKS I WILL LET YOU KNOW . REGARDS TERRY KERR
DERBYSHIRE UK
om...