PDA

View Full Version : How affectionate is your cat?

Ablang
February 28th 04, 03:41 AM
How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.

Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.

Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
once there? Or what was your experience with that?

--
Hilary Duff turns 18 in this amount of time:
http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?day=28&month=09&year

"We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of those
we don't like?" -- Jean Cocteau

idseer
February 28th 04, 04:43 AM
try putting catnip up your nose!

seriously, you can't MAKE a cat be affectionate. they will usually pick
their moments to show their feelings and you just have to recognize when
those moments are.
i have one who rarely shows affection, other than wanting to always be
around when we're there but not wanting to be touched. but every once in a
while (maybe once a month) he will jump on my lap and purr his little brains
out and push his head into my hand. those moments are worth the wait, to be
honest.
then there's the other one who i have to literally push away at times.
he'll walk up my chest and start licking my nose. i mean to the point of
great pain! then he'll come back sit on the back of my chair and start
grooming me. same at night as i try to go to sleep. he HAS to lick my nose
before i fall asleep. i'm not complaining you understand. it's just
interesting how half brothers can be so different.

"Ablang" > wrote in message
> How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.
>
> Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
> little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
> me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
> she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.
>
> Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
> once there? Or what was your experience with that?
>
> --
> Hilary Duff turns 18 in this amount of time:

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?day=28&month=09&year
> =2005&hour=00&m
>
> "We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of
those
> we don't like?" -- Jean Cocteau

Tim May
February 28th 04, 05:11 AM
In article >, Ablang
> wrote:

> How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.
>
> Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
> little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
> me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
> she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.
>
> Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
> once there? Or what was your experience with that?

I've been with 3 cats since 1980. My cat in 1980-82 (had to give him
away when I was transferred) was a tiger stripe. He slept on my bed at
night, when he wasn't out catting around (I didn't have him neutered).
Very affectionate, when he was around.

In 1987 I got a blue-point Siamese, named Nietzsche. I had him neutered
at about 10-11 months of age. He was very bright, was with me nearly
every minute of every day (I retired when I when I was 34), and was
extremely close to me. He slept on my bed every night, often tucked
under a cover.

In 1991 I got a Havana Brown, a cousin to Siamese, named Mousse
(chocolate brown). He was also neutered, at whatever time the vet was
recommending in those days. He was a bit more cat-like than my Siamese,
but was very attached to his "big brother." They slept together, which
meant they slept on my bed. And they were often in my lap, together, as
I wrote articles like this on the Net, from 1991 to 2002.

Nietzsche, my best cat buddy of all time, died in early 2002.

Mousse is nearly as affectionate, but in a more "ADHD" way, i.e., he
won't stay still when being held, for more than about 20 seconds. He
will stay on my lap for hours if he is the one choosing the posture. He
often sleeps in my bed, but he also likes to walk on the headboard
above my bed, or jumps down, and he has a "nest" in another room he
likes to sleep in...I often find him in this "nest" on cold mornings.

(When his "brother" Nietzsche was still alive, Mousse slept on top of
Nietzsche, wherever Nietzsche picked as his sleeping place, which was
99% of the time on my bed.)

--Tim May

Tim May
February 28th 04, 05:11 AM
In article >, Ablang
> wrote:

> How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.
>
> Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
> little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
> me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
> she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.
>
> Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
> once there? Or what was your experience with that?

I've been with 3 cats since 1980. My cat in 1980-82 (had to give him
away when I was transferred) was a tiger stripe. He slept on my bed at
night, when he wasn't out catting around (I didn't have him neutered).
Very affectionate, when he was around.

In 1987 I got a blue-point Siamese, named Nietzsche. I had him neutered
at about 10-11 months of age. He was very bright, was with me nearly
every minute of every day (I retired when I when I was 34), and was
extremely close to me. He slept on my bed every night, often tucked
under a cover.

In 1991 I got a Havana Brown, a cousin to Siamese, named Mousse
(chocolate brown). He was also neutered, at whatever time the vet was
recommending in those days. He was a bit more cat-like than my Siamese,
but was very attached to his "big brother." They slept together, which
meant they slept on my bed. And they were often in my lap, together, as
I wrote articles like this on the Net, from 1991 to 2002.

Nietzsche, my best cat buddy of all time, died in early 2002.

Mousse is nearly as affectionate, but in a more "ADHD" way, i.e., he
won't stay still when being held, for more than about 20 seconds. He
will stay on my lap for hours if he is the one choosing the posture. He
often sleeps in my bed, but he also likes to walk on the headboard
above my bed, or jumps down, and he has a "nest" in another room he
likes to sleep in...I often find him in this "nest" on cold mornings.

(When his "brother" Nietzsche was still alive, Mousse slept on top of
Nietzsche, wherever Nietzsche picked as his sleeping place, which was
99% of the time on my bed.)

--Tim May

Mogie
February 28th 04, 06:16 AM
It varies from cat to cat. My youngest are extremely affectionate but on
their terms. That means when they choose to be loving. Seems to be that way
with all my cats. They must read the Bible. A time to play and a time to
love.

Tim May > wrote in message
> In article >, Ablang
> > wrote:
>
> > How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.
> >
> > Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be
> > little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep
with
> > me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now
since
> > she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.
> >
> > Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that
was
> > once there? Or what was your experience with that?
>
> I've been with 3 cats since 1980. My cat in 1980-82 (had to give him
> away when I was transferred) was a tiger stripe. He slept on my bed at
> night, when he wasn't out catting around (I didn't have him neutered).
> Very affectionate, when he was around.
>
> In 1987 I got a blue-point Siamese, named Nietzsche. I had him neutered
> at about 10-11 months of age. He was very bright, was with me nearly
> every minute of every day (I retired when I when I was 34), and was
> extremely close to me. He slept on my bed every night, often tucked
> under a cover.
>
> In 1991 I got a Havana Brown, a cousin to Siamese, named Mousse
> (chocolate brown). He was also neutered, at whatever time the vet was
> recommending in those days. He was a bit more cat-like than my Siamese,
> but was very attached to his "big brother." They slept together, which
> meant they slept on my bed. And they were often in my lap, together, as
> I wrote articles like this on the Net, from 1991 to 2002.
>
> Nietzsche, my best cat buddy of all time, died in early 2002.
>
> Mousse is nearly as affectionate, but in a more "ADHD" way, i.e., he
> won't stay still when being held, for more than about 20 seconds. He
> will stay on my lap for hours if he is the one choosing the posture. He
> often sleeps in my bed, but he also likes to walk on the headboard
> above my bed, or jumps down, and he has a "nest" in another room he
> likes to sleep in...I often find him in this "nest" on cold mornings.
>
> (When his "brother" Nietzsche was still alive, Mousse slept on top of
> Nietzsche, wherever Nietzsche picked as his sleeping place, which was
> 99% of the time on my bed.)
>
> --Tim May

Cat Protector
February 28th 04, 06:38 AM
First off, cats are not dogs so they show affection only on their time not
yours. My two cats are very affectionate. Both will stay close to me when I
am not feeling well. They also will sometimes jump in my lap when I am at
the computer and Jade will brush up against me as if to say "I am here so
give me a pat or something." They are also there when I come through the
door as well.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"Ablang" > wrote in message
> How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.
>
> Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
> little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
> me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
> she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.
>
> Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
> once there? Or what was your experience with that?
>
> --
> Hilary Duff turns 18 in this amount of time:

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?day=28&month=09&year
> =2005&hour=00&m
>
> "We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of
those
> we don't like?" -- Jean Cocteau

Jacqueline
February 28th 04, 11:45 AM
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 03:41:13 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
> wrote:

>How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.
>
>Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
>little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
>me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
>she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.
>
>Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
>once there? Or what was your experience with that?

You can't make a cat be affectionate, they do as they please. That's
what I love about them!! I don't have my cats on a symbiotic pretext
- I feed you and love you and you love me back. I feed them and love
them unconditionally and if they want to sit beside me, fine, if they
want to ignore me and stick their arse in my face, also fine ;o)

Jacqueline
February 28th 04, 11:45 AM
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 03:41:13 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
> wrote:

>How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.
>
>Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
>little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
>me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
>she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.
>
>Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
>once there? Or what was your experience with that?

You can't make a cat be affectionate, they do as they please. That's
what I love about them!! I don't have my cats on a symbiotic pretext
- I feed you and love you and you love me back. I feed them and love
them unconditionally and if they want to sit beside me, fine, if they
want to ignore me and stick their arse in my face, also fine ;o)

~*Connie*~
February 28th 04, 12:12 PM
"Jacqueline" > wrote in message
> You can't make a cat be affectionate, they do as they please. That's
> what I love about them!! I don't have my cats on a symbiotic pretext
> - I feed you and love you and you love me back. I feed them and love
> them unconditionally and if they want to sit beside me, fine, if they
> want to ignore me and stick their arse in my face, also fine ;o)

Don't you know that when they stick their arse in your face that's the
highest complement you can get?? cat's think that is their best side :)

You can't make them be more affectionate, but you can make yourself more
attractive to your pets.. buy some treats that they like, get them out so
they can see them, offer one, pat, then offer another.. work until you can
pat before giving treats.. yes.. bribes.. but they do work.

~*Connie*~
February 28th 04, 12:12 PM
"Jacqueline" > wrote in message
> You can't make a cat be affectionate, they do as they please. That's
> what I love about them!! I don't have my cats on a symbiotic pretext
> - I feed you and love you and you love me back. I feed them and love
> them unconditionally and if they want to sit beside me, fine, if they
> want to ignore me and stick their arse in my face, also fine ;o)

Don't you know that when they stick their arse in your face that's the
highest complement you can get?? cat's think that is their best side :)

You can't make them be more affectionate, but you can make yourself more
attractive to your pets.. buy some treats that they like, get them out so
they can see them, offer one, pat, then offer another.. work until you can
pat before giving treats.. yes.. bribes.. but they do work.

Wendy
February 28th 04, 01:18 PM
"Ablang" > wrote in message
How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.

Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.

Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
once there? Or what was your experience with that?

My Tigger is a lap cat to the point of being a PIA sometimes. It is seasonal
with her though. During the spring she is in my lap less and during the
summer not much at all.

I don't think you can (or should) force the issue. That might just make
kitty stay away more.

Wendy
February 28th 04, 01:18 PM
"Ablang" > wrote in message
How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.

Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.

Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
once there? Or what was your experience with that?

My Tigger is a lap cat to the point of being a PIA sometimes. It is seasonal
with her though. During the spring she is in my lap less and during the
summer not much at all.

I don't think you can (or should) force the issue. That might just make
kitty stay away more.

Mogie
February 28th 04, 06:37 PM
We got a cat from the shelter. He is a flame point Manx (about a year old
and very beautiful). The reason he had been there for over 3 months is that
he plays very rough. This can be mistaken for aggression. I just had to
learn that his form of affection sometimes includes teeth and claws (yes
it's affection because he is purring away loudly). Inbetween the bites I get
a kiss or two.

Someone encouraged that type of behavior when he was young. He doesn't get
punished for this. I simply let my hand go limp and stop all forms of
attention. So far that has worked very well.

Cat Protector > wrote in message
> [...]

> "Ablang" > wrote in message
> > How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.
> >
> > Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be
> > little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep
with
> > me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now
since
> > she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.
> >
> > Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that
was
> > once there? Or what was your experience with that?
> >
> > --
> > Hilary Duff turns 18 in this amount of time:

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?day=28&month=09&year
> > =2005&hour=00&m
> >
> > "We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of

Hope Munro Smith
February 28th 04, 09:14 PM
In article >,
Ablang > wrote:

> How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.
>
> Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
> little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
> me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
> she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.
>
> Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
> once there? Or what was your experience with that?

Your cat will get more cuddly as she gets older. That has been my
experience with all my cats. Also, they want to be on you when it's
cold out and off you when it's warm.

Hope Munro Smith
February 28th 04, 09:14 PM
In article >,
Ablang > wrote:

> How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.
>
> Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
> little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
> me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
> she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.
>
> Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
> once there? Or what was your experience with that?

Your cat will get more cuddly as she gets older. That has been my
experience with all my cats. Also, they want to be on you when it's
cold out and off you when it's warm.

kilikini
February 29th 04, 09:15 AM
"Hope Munro Smith" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Ablang > wrote:
>
> > How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.
> >
> > Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be
> > little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep
with
> > me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now
since
> > she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.
> >
> > Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that
was
> > once there? Or what was your experience with that?
>
> Your cat will get more cuddly as she gets older. That has been my
> experience with all my cats. Also, they want to be on you when it's
> cold out and off you when it's warm.

Hope, I'm so glad that you said this! My cats have gotten much, much more
affectionate as they've gotten older as well. I wanted to say that, but I
didn't know if it was a *true* scenario (as in all cats get more loving as
they age). I've just noticed it in my case. I think for both of mine, and
they're a year apart, it started happening at about age 5 or so. They are
still extremely independent, but when they want on my lap, they WANT ON MY
LAP! God forbid it if I have to get up and pee or something!

kilikini

kilikini
February 29th 04, 09:15 AM
"Hope Munro Smith" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Ablang > wrote:
>
> > How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.
> >
> > Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be
> > little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep
with
> > me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now
since
> > she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.
> >
> > Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that
was
> > once there? Or what was your experience with that?
>
> Your cat will get more cuddly as she gets older. That has been my
> experience with all my cats. Also, they want to be on you when it's
> cold out and off you when it's warm.

Hope, I'm so glad that you said this! My cats have gotten much, much more
affectionate as they've gotten older as well. I wanted to say that, but I
didn't know if it was a *true* scenario (as in all cats get more loving as
they age). I've just noticed it in my case. I think for both of mine, and
they're a year apart, it started happening at about age 5 or so. They are
still extremely independent, but when they want on my lap, they WANT ON MY
LAP! God forbid it if I have to get up and pee or something!

kilikini

M.C. Mullen
February 29th 04, 01:08 PM
| > Your cat will get more cuddly as she gets older. That has been my
| > experience with all my cats. Also, they want to be on you when it's
| > cold out and off you when it's warm.
|
| Hope, I'm so glad that you said this! My cats have gotten much, much more
| affectionate as they've gotten older as well. I wanted to say that, but I
| didn't know if it was a *true* scenario (as in all cats get more loving as
| they age). I've just noticed it in my case. I think for both of mine,
and
| they're a year apart, it started happening at about age 5 or so. They are
| still extremely independent, but when they want on my lap, they WANT ON MY
| LAP! God forbid it if I have to get up and pee or something!

Oh, that's pleasant news! My cats are only around one and *very*
affectionate already.

The cat I had in my childhood was very tame, came when called but never
loved cuddles much. She lived more than twenty years. But there was this day
when this overdone lady came for coffee in a bright yellow dress. She made
it clear that she didn't like cats. What does pussy do? All black and
shedding badly at the time ... sit on lady's lap!! Lady's manners forbid to
complain, but I guess she had to get the dress dry cleaned - and - I don't
remember that she ever came for a visit again. Just a childhood memory and
some belated praise for my cat 'Nera' which I loved very much and was my
companion for many years.

Carola

M.C. Mullen
February 29th 04, 01:08 PM
| > Your cat will get more cuddly as she gets older. That has been my
| > experience with all my cats. Also, they want to be on you when it's
| > cold out and off you when it's warm.
|
| Hope, I'm so glad that you said this! My cats have gotten much, much more
| affectionate as they've gotten older as well. I wanted to say that, but I
| didn't know if it was a *true* scenario (as in all cats get more loving as
| they age). I've just noticed it in my case. I think for both of mine,
and
| they're a year apart, it started happening at about age 5 or so. They are
| still extremely independent, but when they want on my lap, they WANT ON MY
| LAP! God forbid it if I have to get up and pee or something!

Oh, that's pleasant news! My cats are only around one and *very*
affectionate already.

The cat I had in my childhood was very tame, came when called but never
loved cuddles much. She lived more than twenty years. But there was this day
when this overdone lady came for coffee in a bright yellow dress. She made
it clear that she didn't like cats. What does pussy do? All black and
shedding badly at the time ... sit on lady's lap!! Lady's manners forbid to
complain, but I guess she had to get the dress dry cleaned - and - I don't
remember that she ever came for a visit again. Just a childhood memory and
some belated praise for my cat 'Nera' which I loved very much and was my
companion for many years.

Carola

Ernie Sams
February 29th 04, 09:32 PM
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 03:41:13 +0000, Ablang wrote:

> How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.
>
> Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
> little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
> me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
> she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.
>
> Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was

I've had my current cat for three years now, and she goes in rather broad
cycles. There will be weeks when I don't even *see* her (except for
feeding time) as she keeps to herself, and then she will will to be with
me every minute of the day. The cycle seems to be a monthly one.

Ernie Sams
February 29th 04, 09:32 PM
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 03:41:13 +0000, Ablang wrote:

> How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.
>
> Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
> little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
> me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
> she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.
>
> Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was

I've had my current cat for three years now, and she goes in rather broad
cycles. There will be weeks when I don't even *see* her (except for
feeding time) as she keeps to herself, and then she will will to be with
me every minute of the day. The cycle seems to be a monthly one.

Karen M.
March 1st 04, 02:28 AM
Kilikini wrote:
> Hope, I'm so glad that you said this! My cats have gotten much, much more
> affectionate as they've gotten older as well. I wanted to say that, but I
> didn't know if it was a *true* scenario (as in all cats get more loving as
> they age). I've just noticed it in my case. I think for both of mine, and
> they're a year apart, it started happening at about age 5 or so. They are
> still extremely independent, but when they want on my lap, they WANT ON MY
> LAP! God forbid it if I have to get up and pee or something!

Teach them what "let's go" means. If you need to get up, jiggle
your legs (other body part they're on) and say "let's go." You may
have to provide a gravity assist so they get the idea.
My older kitty (11yo) will be across the room. I'll say the magic
words and she'll get up and get ready to follow me.
HTH
--Karen M.

Karen M.
March 1st 04, 02:28 AM
Kilikini wrote:
> Hope, I'm so glad that you said this! My cats have gotten much, much more
> affectionate as they've gotten older as well. I wanted to say that, but I
> didn't know if it was a *true* scenario (as in all cats get more loving as
> they age). I've just noticed it in my case. I think for both of mine, and
> they're a year apart, it started happening at about age 5 or so. They are
> still extremely independent, but when they want on my lap, they WANT ON MY
> LAP! God forbid it if I have to get up and pee or something!

Teach them what "let's go" means. If you need to get up, jiggle
your legs (other body part they're on) and say "let's go." You may
have to provide a gravity assist so they get the idea.
My older kitty (11yo) will be across the room. I'll say the magic
words and she'll get up and get ready to follow me.
HTH
--Karen M.

rpl
March 1st 04, 09:27 AM
Ablang wrote:

> How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.
>
> Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
> little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
> me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
> she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.
>
> Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
> once there? Or what was your experience with that?

Well, you could douse yourself in catnip. Please post results

rpl
March 1st 04, 09:27 AM
Ablang wrote:

> How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.
>
> Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
> little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
> me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
> she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.
>
> Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
> once there? Or what was your experience with that?

Well, you could douse yourself in catnip. Please post results

Jacqueline
March 1st 04, 12:00 PM
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:27:32 GMT, rpl >
wrote:

>Ablang wrote:
>
>> How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.
>>
>> Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
>> little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
>> me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
>> she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.
>>
>> Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
>> once there? Or what was your experience with that?
>>

>Well, you could douse yourself in catnip. Please post results

That would work! ;o) I've got some catnip spray that I use to top-up
toys and some of it inevitably gets on my hand. Cat does not see hand
- cat sees large soft squidgy toy to grab, lick, nuzzle :o)

wrote:

>Ablang wrote:
>
>> How affectionate is your cat? Please give examples.
>>
>> Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
>> little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
>> me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
>> she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.
>>
>> Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
>> once there? Or what was your experience with that?
>>

>Well, you could douse yourself in catnip. Please post results

That would work! ;o) I've got some catnip spray that I use to top-up
toys and some of it inevitably gets on my hand. Cat does not see hand
- cat sees large soft squidgy toy to grab, lick, nuzzle :o)

Talkin Horse
March 3rd 04, 10:19 AM
"Ablang" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
> once there? Or what was your experience with that?

It is a common problem that domestic bliss with a domestic feline slides
into the rut of mundane domesticity. You can put the kit back in your cat
with a surprise romantic evening. Take her to dinner at the local sushi
restaurant. Then get her lightly buzzed on catnip wine, and let her sit in
your lap and watch a "kit flick" (I'd recommend "Winged Migration" or maybe
"Microcosmos"). Before the night is over, you'll have her eating out of your
hand.

Talkin Horse
March 3rd 04, 10:19 AM
"Ablang" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
> once there? Or what was your experience with that?

It is a common problem that domestic bliss with a domestic feline slides
into the rut of mundane domesticity. You can put the kit back in your cat
with a surprise romantic evening. Take her to dinner at the local sushi
restaurant. Then get her lightly buzzed on catnip wine, and let her sit in
your lap and watch a "kit flick" (I'd recommend "Winged Migration" or maybe
"Microcosmos"). Before the night is over, you'll have her eating out of your
hand.

Kit
March 23rd 04, 06:44 AM
Ours is 8 month's old now and he tends to take a little nip at my hands when
I pick him up.I hope he stop's this any ideas ?
Kit

Kit
March 23rd 04, 06:44 AM
Ours is 8 month's old now and he tends to take a little nip at my hands when
I pick him up.I hope he stop's this any ideas ?
Kit

Kristine Kochanski
March 23rd 04, 11:14 AM
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 01:44:25 -0500, "Kit" > wrote:

>Ours is 8 month's old now and he tends to take a little nip at my hands when
>I pick him up.I hope he stop's this any ideas ?
>Kit

Um... don't pick him up? Cats generally don't like being picked up -
he could be telling you he'd unhappy. No matter how much we love to
pick up and cuddle our kitties, they prefer having their little paws
on the floor, so let him come to you on his terms.

If he's nipping you during play he may not realise he's hurting you,
so if he does this, immediately stop the play and don't give him
attention - he'll soon get the message! I had a cat who used to do
this when we played with her - she'd be happily pouncing away at your
hand - then thinking she'd 'caught' her prey she'd grip it, sink her
front and back claws into it and bite!! I let out an 'ow!!' and walked
away from her - she soon realised that bit of play was not on.

Kristine Kochanski
March 23rd 04, 11:14 AM
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 01:44:25 -0500, "Kit" > wrote:

>Ours is 8 month's old now and he tends to take a little nip at my hands when
>I pick him up.I hope he stop's this any ideas ?
>Kit

Um... don't pick him up? Cats generally don't like being picked up -
he could be telling you he'd unhappy. No matter how much we love to
pick up and cuddle our kitties, they prefer having their little paws
on the floor, so let him come to you on his terms.

If he's nipping you during play he may not realise he's hurting you,
so if he does this, immediately stop the play and don't give him
attention - he'll soon get the message! I had a cat who used to do
this when we played with her - she'd be happily pouncing away at your
hand - then thinking she'd 'caught' her prey she'd grip it, sink her
front and back claws into it and bite!! I let out an 'ow!!' and walked
away from her - she soon realised that bit of play was not on.

Matt
March 24th 04, 02:08 AM
"i have one who rarely shows affection, other than wanting to always
be
around when we're there but not wanting to be touched. but every once
in a
while (maybe once a month) he will jump on my lap and purr his little
brains
out and push his head into my hand. those moments are worth the wait,
to be
honest."

Mine does that each and every night. I know he loves me but why the
heck does he have to always show it when I am sleeping -> He wakes me
up at least once and sometimes up to 5 times a night. I usually wake
up, he sits on my chest and purrs like a diesel engine. If I don't
wake up from that he'll headbutt me until I do. In my cats case a
little less affection or alternatively daytime affection would be
appreciated.

Matt
March 24th 04, 02:08 AM
[...]

March 24th 04, 05:06 AM
In article >, Matt
> wrote:

> "i have one who rarely shows affection, other than wanting to always
> be
> around when we're there but not wanting to be touched. but every once
> in a
> while (maybe once a month) he will jump on my lap and purr his little
> brains
> out and push his head into my hand. those moments are worth the wait,
> to be
> honest."
>
> Mine does that each and every night. I know he loves me but why the
> heck does he have to always show it when I am sleeping -> He wakes me
> up at least once and sometimes up to 5 times a night. I usually wake
> up, he sits on my chest and purrs like a diesel engine. If I don't
> wake up from that he'll headbutt me until I do. In my cats case a
> little less affection or alternatively daytime affection would be
> appreciated.

My current cat is 13, and he somehow knows when I am asleep. If I am
awake, if my eyes are open, he will approach my head area and purr. But
if I'm asleep, he somehow knows this and will not. (I know this because
he _used_ to, and thus wake me up. I don't think this observation is
because I'm just unaware of it, as I've been a light sleeper for all
the years I can remember).

--Tim May

Tim May
March 24th 04, 05:06 AM
In article >, Matt
> wrote:

> "i have one who rarely shows affection, other than wanting to always
> be
> around when we're there but not wanting to be touched. but every once
> in a
> while (maybe once a month) he will jump on my lap and purr his little
> brains
> out and push his head into my hand. those moments are worth the wait,
> to be
> honest."
>
> Mine does that each and every night. I know he loves me but why the
> heck does he have to always show it when I am sleeping -> He wakes me
> up at least once and sometimes up to 5 times a night. I usually wake
> up, he sits on my chest and purrs like a diesel engine. If I don't
> wake up from that he'll headbutt me until I do. In my cats case a
> little less affection or alternatively daytime affection would be
> appreciated.

My current cat is 13, and he somehow knows when I am asleep. If I am
awake, if my eyes are open, he will approach my head area and purr. But
if I'm asleep, he somehow knows this and will not. (I know this because
he _used_ to, and thus wake me up. I don't think this observation is
because I'm just unaware of it, as I've been a light sleeper for all
the years I can remember).

--Tim May

Sandy
March 24th 04, 05:17 AM
Light nips or bites from a cat can be a sign of affection. I had a little
female cat named Jennifer who gave the lightest little nips of affection
when she was being petted. I so enjoyed experiencing that aspect of cat
behavior, and she was so gentle about it, that I chose not to train her out
of it -- I just made sure to mention it to visitors. I don't necessarily
recommend that to others, but it worked for us. I got to enjoy getting
those little nips from her for almost 17 years. I'll have to scan a picture
of her to post sometime -- she was a beautiful cat.

Sandy
--
Do the math to reply.

"Kit" > wrote in message
. ..
> Ours is 8 month's old now and he tends to take a little nip at my hands
when
> I pick him up.I hope he stop's this any ideas ?
> Kit

Sandy
March 24th 04, 05:17 AM
Light nips or bites from a cat can be a sign of affection. I had a little
female cat named Jennifer who gave the lightest little nips of affection
when she was being petted. I so enjoyed experiencing that aspect of cat
behavior, and she was so gentle about it, that I chose not to train her out
of it -- I just made sure to mention it to visitors. I don't necessarily
recommend that to others, but it worked for us. I got to enjoy getting
those little nips from her for almost 17 years. I'll have to scan a picture
of her to post sometime -- she was a beautiful cat.

Sandy
--
Do the math to reply.

"Kit" > wrote in message
. ..
> Ours is 8 month's old now and he tends to take a little nip at my hands
when
> I pick him up.I hope he stop's this any ideas ?
> Kit

kaeli
March 24th 04, 02:09 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> Light nips or bites from a cat can be a sign of affection. I had a little
> female cat named Jennifer who gave the lightest little nips of affection
> when she was being petted. I so enjoyed experiencing that aspect of cat
> behavior, and she was so gentle about it, that I chose not to train her out
> of it -- I just made sure to mention it to visitors. I don't necessarily
> recommend that to others, but it worked for us. I got to enjoy getting
> those little nips from her for almost 17 years. I'll have to scan a picture
> of her to post sometime -- she was a beautiful cat.

My Isis does this. I did have to teach her to be gentle about it, but
she still loves to give me "love nips".
It's actually really funny because she's SO gentle with it now, it
tickles. She kinda just pushes her teeth against my skin, almost like
she's trying to give a kiss like people do, but can't figure out how to
pucker up. *LOL*

~kaeli~
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli
March 24th 04, 02:09 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> Light nips or bites from a cat can be a sign of affection. I had a little
> female cat named Jennifer who gave the lightest little nips of affection
> when she was being petted. I so enjoyed experiencing that aspect of cat
> behavior, and she was so gentle about it, that I chose not to train her out
> of it -- I just made sure to mention it to visitors. I don't necessarily
> recommend that to others, but it worked for us. I got to enjoy getting
> those little nips from her for almost 17 years. I'll have to scan a picture
> of her to post sometime -- she was a beautiful cat.

My Isis does this. I did have to teach her to be gentle about it, but
she still loves to give me "love nips".
It's actually really funny because she's SO gentle with it now, it
tickles. She kinda just pushes her teeth against my skin, almost like
she's trying to give a kiss like people do, but can't figure out how to
pucker up. *LOL*

~kaeli~
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Gray asphalt
April 9th 04, 03:27 AM
:
: Mine will be 2 next month (have had her since August). Mine used to be a
: little bit. She used to wanna sit on my lap during TV time and sleep with
: me (both during winter time of Dec-Jan). It's been a few weeks now since
: she's done either very often. I now get that about once every 2 weeks.
:
: Does anyone know any tips or tricks for restoring that affection that was
: once there? Or what was your experience with that?
:
: --
: Hilary Duff turns 18 in this amount of time:
:
http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?day=28&month=09&year
: =2005&hour=00&m
:
: "We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of
those
: we don't like?" -- Jean Cocteau

Don't push it. Be receptive when the opportunity arises.
Find out what you cat likes. Some like to be patted, others
rubbed. I've had good luck with one cat who wouldn't have
anything to do with me by petting him by moving the skin
on his back rather than petting the fur. This works well on
long hairs. For some reason they get static electricity or
something when you pet them gently. At least that is my
experience. Reach out with you finger to let them touch
your finger with their nose. It's hard to resist. Lie down
next to them when they are asleep. Talk baby talk. Bribe
them. Get a stick with a string attached.

Gray asphalt
April 9th 04, 03:27 AM
"Ablang" > wrote in message
[...]

Eugene Kent
April 9th 04, 11:38 PM
Don't worry they have their cycles They will be back.