PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned kitten caring...

Graham
July 16th 03, 03:15 AM
I have a cat who has a very young kitten. Unfortunately, the mother cat got
let out approx 9pm tonight and has not returned and the kitten is getting
quite distressed.

Does anyone know how I should go about caring for this lil one. I have a
replacement milk formula but am not sure as how to feed it to the kitten as
I have no bottle or anything.

Does anyone know how long the kitten can go without attention and feeding
from the mother? Will I need to step in tonight?

Please, any help is greatly received!

Graham

Karen Chuplis
July 16th 03, 03:55 AM
in article , Graham at
wrote on 7/15/03 9:15 PM:

> I have a cat who has a very young kitten. Unfortunately, the mother cat got
> let out approx 9pm tonight and has not returned and the kitten is getting
> quite distressed.
>
> Does anyone know how I should go about caring for this lil one. I have a
> replacement milk formula but am not sure as how to feed it to the kitten as
> I have no bottle or anything.
>
> Does anyone know how long the kitten can go without attention and feeding
> from the mother? Will I need to step in tonight?
>
> Please, any help is greatly received!
>
> Graham

I sure hope she comes home. Here is some help if not or if not soon enough:

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/2211/kittenformula.html

Keep us posted!

Karen

Graham
July 16th 03, 04:06 AM
"Karen Chuplis" > wrote in message
> in article , Graham at
> wrote on 7/15/03 9:15 PM:
>
> > I have a cat who has a very young kitten. Unfortunately, the mother cat
got
> > let out approx 9pm tonight and has not returned and the kitten is
getting
> > quite distressed.
> >
> > Does anyone know how I should go about caring for this lil one. I have a
> > replacement milk formula but am not sure as how to feed it to the kitten
as
> > I have no bottle or anything.
> >
> > Does anyone know how long the kitten can go without attention and
feeding
> > from the mother? Will I need to step in tonight?
> >
> > Please, any help is greatly received!
> >
> > Graham
> >

> I sure hope she comes home. Here is some help if not or if not soon
enough:

> http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/2211/kittenformula.html
>
> Keep us posted!
>
> Karen

Karen,

Thanks so much for the quick response, fortunately however, I did not
require the information (I have still printed it!!).

The kitten was getting quite hysterical so I used my dictaphone, recorded 5
seconds of it, and walked about the streets with it on a loop, when I heard
miaowing coming from a neighbours garage!

I wish people would be more careful!

<Hugh sigh of relief!>

Graham

Cheryl
July 16th 03, 04:08 AM
"Graham" > wrote in message

> The kitten was getting quite hysterical so I used my dictaphone,
recorded 5
> seconds of it, and walked about the streets with it on a loop, when
I heard
> miaowing coming from a neighbours garage!

How resourceful! :) Glad you found her, and in time!

Graham
July 16th 03, 04:11 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message

> Glad you found her, and in time!

Oh you wouldn't believe how much of a relief it is! I seriously was lost and
at a dead end as to what I could do for this little kitten!

4:10am : I think I've earned my sleep tonight.

Just wait until I get my hands on the person that let her out!

Graham

Karen Chuplis
July 16th 03, 04:29 AM
in article , Graham at
wrote on 7/15/03 10:06 PM:

> "Karen Chuplis" > wrote in message
>> in article , Graham at
>> wrote on 7/15/03 9:15 PM:
>>
>>> I have a cat who has a very young kitten. Unfortunately, the mother cat
> got
>>> let out approx 9pm tonight and has not returned and the kitten is
> getting
>>> quite distressed.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how I should go about caring for this lil one. I have a
>>> replacement milk formula but am not sure as how to feed it to the kitten
> as
>>> I have no bottle or anything.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how long the kitten can go without attention and
> feeding
>>> from the mother? Will I need to step in tonight?
>>>
>>> Please, any help is greatly received!
>>>
>>> Graham
>>>

>> I sure hope she comes home. Here is some help if not or if not soon
> enough:
>>

>> http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/2211/kittenformula.html
>>
>> Keep us posted!
>>
>> Karen
>>

> Karen,
>
> Thanks so much for the quick response, fortunately however, I did not
> require the information (I have still printed it!!).
>
> The kitten was getting quite hysterical so I used my dictaphone, recorded 5
> seconds of it, and walked about the streets with it on a loop, when I heard
> miaowing coming from a neighbours garage!
>
> I wish people would be more careful!
>
> <Hugh sigh of relief!>
>
> Graham

That was a great idea! I'm glad you found her. How old is the kitten?

Karen

m l briggs
July 16th 03, 06:26 AM
Good news! After reading about your problem I think anyone with an intact female cat should keep an
emergency kit. In an emergency an eyedropper could be used. Or if no eyedropper, perhaps a
drinking straw - cover one end then the milk can be drawn up into the straw. (I hope this makes
sense) It was clever the way you found her. MLB

Graham wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>

>>Glad you found her, and in time!
>

> Oh you wouldn't believe how much of a relief it is! I seriously was lost and
> at a dead end as to what I could do for this little kitten!
>
> 4:10am : I think I've earned my sleep tonight.
>
> Just wait until I get my hands on the person that let her out!
>
> Graham

Graham
July 16th 03, 02:29 PM
"Karen Chuplis" > wrote in message
> in article , Graham at
> wrote on 7/15/03 10:06 PM:
>

> > "Karen Chuplis" > wrote in message
> >> in article , Graham at

> > got
> > getting

> > as

> > feeding

> >> I sure hope she comes home. Here is some help if not or if not soon
> > enough:
> >>

> >> http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/2211/kittenformula.html
> >>
> >> Keep us posted!
> >>
> >> Karen
> >>

> > Karen,
> >
> > Thanks so much for the quick response, fortunately however, I did not
> > require the information (I have still printed it!!).
> >
> > The kitten was getting quite hysterical so I used my dictaphone,
recorded 5
> > seconds of it, and walked about the streets with it on a loop, when I
heard
> > miaowing coming from a neighbours garage!
> >
> > I wish people would be more careful!
> >
> > <Hugh sigh of relief!>
> >
> > Graham
> >

> That was a great idea! I'm glad you found her. How old is the kitten?
>
> Karen

6 days old :)

Graham

Karen Chuplis
July 16th 03, 03:23 PM
"Graham" > wrote in message

> "Karen Chuplis" > wrote in message
> > in article , Graham at
> > wrote on 7/15/03 10:06 PM:

at

> cat
> > > got
> > > getting

> kitten
> > > as

> > > feeding

> > > enough:

> > > Karen,
> > >
> > > Thanks so much for the quick response, fortunately however, I did not
> > > require the information (I have still printed it!!).
> > >
> > > The kitten was getting quite hysterical so I used my dictaphone,
> recorded 5
> > > seconds of it, and walked about the streets with it on a loop, when I
> heard
> > > miaowing coming from a neighbours garage!
> > >
> > > I wish people would be more careful!
> > >
> > > <Hugh sigh of relief!>
> > >
> > > Graham
> > >

> > That was a great idea! I'm glad you found her. How old is the kitten?
> >
> > Karen
> >

> 6 days old :)
>
> Graham

Oh baby baby! Do you have pics posted anywhere on the net?

Karen

Dee
July 16th 03, 09:11 PM
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Graham wrote:

> The kitten was getting quite hysterical so I used my dictaphone, recorded 5
> seconds of it, and walked about the streets with it on a loop, when I heard
> miaowing coming from a neighbours garage!

Wow what a good idea! I never would have thought of it! So glad
everything worked out well for all.

Dee

Karen Chuplis
July 17th 03, 02:13 AM
in article , Graham at
wrote on 7/16/03 9:35 AM:

> www.theking.myby.co.uk/catties

Very handsome cats!

Karen

Karen Chuplis
July 17th 03, 07:53 PM
in article , Graham at
wrote on 7/17/03 9:39 AM:

> "blcker" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Oh Graham! What wonderful pictures!! Can I ask what happened to the rest
>> of the litter? Cats very rarely have just one kitten. Are you going to
>> keep the kitten? Are you going to have mom spayed after she weans the
>> kitten?

>> recorded 5
>> heard
>>>
>>> Wow what a good idea! I never would have thought of it! So glad
>>> everything worked out well for all.
>>>

>>> Dee
>>>

> That's it I'm afraid, it was only the one kitten! We currently have 3 cats
> and we want to keep the kitten but caring for them is pretty full time and I
> don't think we'll manage four cats with full time jobs etc.
>
> We will be getting the mother spayed yes.
>
> Graham

aw. What's one more? Just get the kit fixed too when it's time.

Karen