PDA

View Full Version : How far do you go to find possible owners?

Ginger-lyn Summer
February 13th 04, 07:56 PM
I'm just curious what others here think. I have rescued quite a few
stray cats over the years, and although I think I do enough to locate
any possible owners, I'd like to know how far you would go.

Originally, I used to knock on all neighbors' doors, call the Humane
Society, check the local paper, and watch for signs. Occasionally, I
did find a neighbor whose cat had just escaped, but usually, I could
not find an owner, even with all those methods. These days, I am
putting more of the onus on the owner, figuring that if they lost a
cat and *really* want it back, they will knock on *my* door, put up
signs, put it in the paper, put it online on Pet FBI, etc. I still
check for signs, and the paper and Pet FBI online, but no longer knock
on doors or call the Humane Society (they force you to record a
message, rather than being able to ask a person if anyone has reported
a missing cat fitting the description, and there *are* unscrupulous
people out there who might say "Yeah, that's my cat" when it isn't.).

So am I going far enough to find any potential owner before I take
these strays into a no-kill shelter?

Thanks for any opinions.

Ginger-lyn

Shaggin
February 13th 04, 10:19 PM
When I find strays I put up found animal signs around while looking for the
owners lost animal signs. I also call the humane society. Havent had to go
any further then this with getting the animals back to there owners but I'm
from a small town so I dont know if that makes the difference or not. I
would think it would.