PDA

View Full Version : Stray kitten - feed or ignore?

Ivanna
June 11th 04, 11:15 PM
Well I must first admit I've already been feeding it all week. It appeared
very bony when I first started, but looks more like a normal kitten now.

My concern is that this may be a female and that she will be bringing me
loads more kittens to feed if she is not fixed. (I am way allergic to cats
and couldn't have even one in the house) She runs away on approach, but
stays within sight if she expects I will put a bit of food out for her.
Suggestions?

MaryL
June 12th 04, 12:18 AM
"Ivanna" > wrote in message
om...
> Well I must first admit I've already been feeding it all week. It
appeared
> very bony when I first started, but looks more like a normal kitten now.
>
> My concern is that this may be a female and that she will be bringing me
> loads more kittens to feed if she is not fixed. (I am way allergic to
cats
> and couldn't have even one in the house) She runs away on approach, but
> stays within sight if she expects I will put a bit of food out for her.
> Suggestions?

Please trap the kitten and take her to a vet to be spayed and treated (as
needed) for worms, ear mites, etc. Continue to feed the poor little thing.
If at all possible, find someone who will adopt her and give her a good
(indoor) home.

Thank you for accepting this little kitten into your life.

MaryL

MaryL
June 12th 04, 12:18 AM
"Ivanna" > wrote in message
om...
> Well I must first admit I've already been feeding it all week. It
appeared
> very bony when I first started, but looks more like a normal kitten now.
>
> My concern is that this may be a female and that she will be bringing me
> loads more kittens to feed if she is not fixed. (I am way allergic to
cats
> and couldn't have even one in the house) She runs away on approach, but
> stays within sight if she expects I will put a bit of food out for her.
> Suggestions?

Please trap the kitten and take her to a vet to be spayed and treated (as
needed) for worms, ear mites, etc. Continue to feed the poor little thing.
If at all possible, find someone who will adopt her and give her a good
(indoor) home.

Thank you for accepting this little kitten into your life.

MaryL

JoJo
June 12th 04, 02:21 AM
Call your local shelter - they may have a Have a Heart trap you can borrow,
or tell you where you can borrow one. Even local vet's office may have one.

If you have a no-kill shelter near you, I would suggest contacting them
about taking in kitten and finding it a home. Explain what you told us.
More than likely they will take it in (although there may be a waiting list,
they'll let you know). They will then give kitten physical, worm it, treat
it, fix it and find it a home.

That is unless you wish to keep him, but I've got a thing about keeping cats
outdoors, which I believe they are safer there - my opinion only. I
understand not an option for you since you are allergic.

Good luck.
"Ivanna" > wrote in message
om...
> Well I must first admit I've already been feeding it all week. It
appeared
> very bony when I first started, but looks more like a normal kitten now.
>
> My concern is that this may be a female and that she will be bringing me
> loads more kittens to feed if she is not fixed. (I am way allergic to
cats
> and couldn't have even one in the house) She runs away on approach, but
> stays within sight if she expects I will put a bit of food out for her.
> Suggestions?

JoJo
June 12th 04, 02:21 AM
Call your local shelter - they may have a Have a Heart trap you can borrow,
or tell you where you can borrow one. Even local vet's office may have one.

If you have a no-kill shelter near you, I would suggest contacting them
about taking in kitten and finding it a home. Explain what you told us.
More than likely they will take it in (although there may be a waiting list,
they'll let you know). They will then give kitten physical, worm it, treat
it, fix it and find it a home.

That is unless you wish to keep him, but I've got a thing about keeping cats
outdoors, which I believe they are safer there - my opinion only. I
understand not an option for you since you are allergic.

Good luck.
"Ivanna" > wrote in message
om...
> Well I must first admit I've already been feeding it all week. It
appeared
> very bony when I first started, but looks more like a normal kitten now.
>
> My concern is that this may be a female and that she will be bringing me
> loads more kittens to feed if she is not fixed. (I am way allergic to
cats
> and couldn't have even one in the house) She runs away on approach, but
> stays within sight if she expects I will put a bit of food out for her.
> Suggestions?

Mary
June 12th 04, 03:31 AM
>Suggestions?

I would trap her using a hav-a-hart trap. You can rent one from a hardware,
feed store or animal shelter for $3-5. If she's a small kitten, you can just
use a squirrel trap. Use stinky wet cat food for bait. This is what the trap
looks like http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/cats/stray_cat_rescue_kit.htm You
don't need the kit. Some vets spay feral cats for free. I would vaccinate her
also. I would then contact some rescue groups to see if you can find her a
home. If everyone is full you can at least give her a little cat igloo outside
to sleep in and leave some food for her. Thanks so much for caring for her. You
will be saving yourself a lot of headaches with tons of kittens showing up at
your door.

Mary
June 12th 04, 03:31 AM
>Suggestions?

I would trap her using a hav-a-hart trap. You can rent one from a hardware,
feed store or animal shelter for $3-5. If she's a small kitten, you can just
use a squirrel trap. Use stinky wet cat food for bait. This is what the trap
looks like http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/cats/stray_cat_rescue_kit.htm You
don't need the kit. Some vets spay feral cats for free. I would vaccinate her
also. I would then contact some rescue groups to see if you can find her a
home. If everyone is full you can at least give her a little cat igloo outside
to sleep in and leave some food for her. Thanks so much for caring for her. You
will be saving yourself a lot of headaches with tons of kittens showing up at
your door.

Rhonda
June 12th 04, 06:49 AM
Finding another home would be great, but if you can't -- there are many
spay and release programs. You might contact a few animal groups and see
what you can find out for your area. The Humane Society also may be able
to give you some numbers.

I would keep feeding her, at any rate. I just can't stand to see a cat
starve, and it sounds like you can't either!

Rhonda

Ivanna wrote:

> Well I must first admit I've already been feeding it all week. It appeared
> very bony when I first started, but looks more like a normal kitten now.
>
> My concern is that this may be a female and that she will be bringing me
> loads more kittens to feed if she is not fixed. (I am way allergic to cats
> and couldn't have even one in the house) She runs away on approach, but
> stays within sight if she expects I will put a bit of food out for her.
> Suggestions?

Ivanna
June 12th 04, 07:15 AM
"Mary"...
> >Suggestions?
>
> I would trap her using a hav-a-hart trap. You can rent one from a
hardware,
> feed store or animal shelter for $3-5. If she's a small kitten, you can
just
> use a squirrel trap. Use stinky wet cat food for bait. This is what the
trap
> looks like http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/cats/stray_cat_rescue_kit.htm
You
> don't need the kit. Some vets spay feral cats for free. I would vaccinate
her
> also. I would then contact some rescue groups to see if you can find her a
> home. If everyone is full you can at least give her a little cat igloo
outside
> to sleep in and leave some food for her. Thanks so much for caring for
her. You
> will be saving yourself a lot of headaches with tons of kittens showing up
at
> your door.

Ok, I will have to locate a trap, as all of you have suggested. I'm not
sure if the kitten was dumped or if the mom was a stray. The kitten doesn't
seem to trust people and runs into the woods at the back of our yard if
anyone approaches. I just hope to catch the kitten and not the squirrels,
chipmunks, and bunnies that are frolicking around the yard. TONS of
kittens!?!

The nearby city has a humane society, but I believe that they kill animals
that are not claimed. It would have no chance if they believe it is feral.
If I catch it, I will find a no kill shelter or take it to the vet myself.
I can't handle feeding it and then taking it in to put to sleep/death at the
shelter. At least if it gets fixed, it won't produce more animals that are
just out there starving, getting sick, and getting run over by cars.
Thanks for the link to the "havahart" trap.

Ivanna
June 12th 04, 07:15 AM
"Mary"...
> >Suggestions?
>
> I would trap her using a hav-a-hart trap. You can rent one from a
hardware,
> feed store or animal shelter for $3-5. If she's a small kitten, you can
just
> use a squirrel trap. Use stinky wet cat food for bait. This is what the
trap
> looks like http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/cats/stray_cat_rescue_kit.htm
You
> don't need the kit. Some vets spay feral cats for free. I would vaccinate
her
> also. I would then contact some rescue groups to see if you can find her a
> home. If everyone is full you can at least give her a little cat igloo
outside
> to sleep in and leave some food for her. Thanks so much for caring for
her. You
> will be saving yourself a lot of headaches with tons of kittens showing up
at
> your door.

Ok, I will have to locate a trap, as all of you have suggested. I'm not
sure if the kitten was dumped or if the mom was a stray. The kitten doesn't
seem to trust people and runs into the woods at the back of our yard if
anyone approaches. I just hope to catch the kitten and not the squirrels,
chipmunks, and bunnies that are frolicking around the yard. TONS of
kittens!?!

The nearby city has a humane society, but I believe that they kill animals
that are not claimed. It would have no chance if they believe it is feral.
If I catch it, I will find a no kill shelter or take it to the vet myself.
I can't handle feeding it and then taking it in to put to sleep/death at the
shelter. At least if it gets fixed, it won't produce more animals that are
just out there starving, getting sick, and getting run over by cars.
Thanks for the link to the "havahart" trap.

Ivanna
June 12th 04, 07:16 AM
"JoJo"
> That is unless you wish to keep him, but I've got a thing about keeping
cats
> outdoors, which I believe they are safer there - my opinion only. I
> understand not an option for you since you are allergic.

I would love to have any pets, but unfortunately my allergies to kitties are
pretty severe. I envy the people who can have any cat or dog they would
like in their home.
Thanks for the response JoJo.

Ivanna
June 12th 04, 07:16 AM
"JoJo"
> That is unless you wish to keep him, but I've got a thing about keeping
cats
> outdoors, which I believe they are safer there - my opinion only. I
> understand not an option for you since you are allergic.

I would love to have any pets, but unfortunately my allergies to kitties are
pretty severe. I envy the people who can have any cat or dog they would
like in their home.
Thanks for the response JoJo.

Ivanna
June 12th 04, 07:17 AM
"MaryL"
> Please trap the kitten and take her to a vet to be spayed and treated (as
> needed) for worms, ear mites, etc. Continue to feed the poor little
thing.
> If at all possible, find someone who will adopt her and give her a good
> (indoor) home.

I will do what I can. Thanks for the reply.

Ivanna
June 12th 04, 07:17 AM
"MaryL"
> Please trap the kitten and take her to a vet to be spayed and treated (as
> needed) for worms, ear mites, etc. Continue to feed the poor little
thing.
> If at all possible, find someone who will adopt her and give her a good
> (indoor) home.

I will do what I can. Thanks for the reply.

Ivanna
June 12th 04, 07:21 AM
"Rhonda"

> Finding another home would be great, but if you can't -- there are many
> spay and release programs.

So she would be spayed and then released back out to the wild or to me? I
have never heard of that.

> I would keep feeding her, at any rate. I just can't stand to see a cat
> starve, and it sounds like you can't either!

Lol, I carried a caterpillery thing out of the house this morning rather
than flush it! If she keeps visiting, she will be eating.

Ivanna
June 12th 04, 07:21 AM
"Rhonda"

> Finding another home would be great, but if you can't -- there are many
> spay and release programs.

So she would be spayed and then released back out to the wild or to me? I
have never heard of that.

> I would keep feeding her, at any rate. I just can't stand to see a cat
> starve, and it sounds like you can't either!

Lol, I carried a caterpillery thing out of the house this morning rather
than flush it! If she keeps visiting, she will be eating.

Rhonda
June 12th 04, 07:28 AM
Hello Ivanna,

The spay and release programs are for the homeless outdoor kitties.
Usually the programs want to make sure someone is at least feeding the
cat or cats, then they will trap them, spay them, then release them back
outside in the same area.

They work with feral colonies, but some work with individuals like you
with soft hearts. We're in the Seattle area, and there are a couple of
groups that do it here.

Rhonda

PS -- I carry spiders outside in a glass!

Ivanna wrote:

> "Rhonda"
>

>>Finding another home would be great, but if you can't -- there are many
>>spay and release programs.
>>

> So she would be spayed and then released back out to the wild or to me? I
> have never heard of that.
>

>>I would keep feeding her, at any rate. I just can't stand to see a cat
>>starve, and it sounds like you can't either!
>>

> Lol, I carried a caterpillery thing out of the house this morning rather
> than flush it! If she keeps visiting, she will be eating.

JoJo
June 13th 04, 03:38 AM
Ivanna,

Don't know why I did not think of this earlier - go to www.spayusa.org - I
believe they will give you links to shelters in your area that offer reduced
fee spaying programs. They have something on main page, half way down called
Pets911, type in your zip and it will tell you where you can get low cost
spay/neuter.

Best of like and you're not alone - I would be feeding too! Although you
got me on the bug - sorry no happy endings for bugs here - yuck! Creepy
crawlies don't need to be seen :)
"Ivanna" > wrote in message
om...
> Well I must first admit I've already been feeding it all week. It
appeared
> very bony when I first started, but looks more like a normal kitten now.
>
> My concern is that this may be a female and that she will be bringing me
> loads more kittens to feed if she is not fixed. (I am way allergic to
cats
> and couldn't have even one in the house) She runs away on approach, but
> stays within sight if she expects I will put a bit of food out for her.
> Suggestions?

JoJo
June 13th 04, 03:38 AM
Ivanna,

Don't know why I did not think of this earlier - go to www.spayusa.org - I
believe they will give you links to shelters in your area that offer reduced
fee spaying programs. They have something on main page, half way down called
Pets911, type in your zip and it will tell you where you can get low cost
spay/neuter.

Best of like and you're not alone - I would be feeding too! Although you
got me on the bug - sorry no happy endings for bugs here - yuck! Creepy
crawlies don't need to be seen :)
"Ivanna" > wrote in message
om...
> Well I must first admit I've already been feeding it all week. It
appeared
> very bony when I first started, but looks more like a normal kitten now.
>
> My concern is that this may be a female and that she will be bringing me
> loads more kittens to feed if she is not fixed. (I am way allergic to
cats
> and couldn't have even one in the house) She runs away on approach, but
> stays within sight if she expects I will put a bit of food out for her.
> Suggestions?

Hi Im WEEniE with MyFav4ite Midi
June 14th 04, 11:36 AM
Re: Stray kitten - feed or ignore?

Group: rec.pets.cats.rescue Date: Sat, Jun 12, 2004, 6:21am (EDT+4)
From: (Ivanna)
"Rhonda"
Finding another home would be great, but if you can't -- there are many
spay and release programs.
So she would be spayed and then released back out to the wild or to me?
I have never heard of that.
I would keep feeding her, at any rate. I just can't stand to see a cat
starve, and it sounds like you can't either!
Lol, I carried a caterpillery thing out of the house this morning rather
than flush it! If she keeps visiting, she will be eating.

I live in West Springfield,Mass.There is this woman in the Spfld area
who does just that. She does it legally by getting property owners
permission to set some kind of houses up in their yard plus those safe
traps.She has food put out or them too & what she does is get the cat
fixed,wormed & shots & the cat end up with a tattoo marking on it's ear.
Male cats would be brought back the next day but the female cats she
will keep for a couple more days then do the same thing. But she only
does ferrals.Of course it won't stop someone who can't afford to put
their own cat inne of those traps to get a freebee done.Now would it?

From: (Ivanna)
"Rhonda"
[...]

Wendy
June 14th 04, 12:00 PM
"Hi Im WEEniE with MyFav4ite Midi"
> wrote in message
>
> Re: Stray kitten - feed or ignore?
>
> Group: rec.pets.cats.rescue Date: Sat, Jun 12, 2004, 6:21am (EDT+4)
> From: (Ivanna)
> "Rhonda"

.. But she only
> does ferrals.Of course it won't stop someone who can't afford to put
> their own cat inne of those traps to get a freebee done.Now would it?

Around here a cat owner would do that at their peril. If a trapped kitty
seems to be friendly they trap, neuter and re-home.

Wendy
June 14th 04, 12:00 PM
"Hi Im WEEniE with MyFav4ite Midi"
> wrote in message
>
> Re: Stray kitten - feed or ignore?
>
> Group: rec.pets.cats.rescue Date: Sat, Jun 12, 2004, 6:21am (EDT+4)
> From: (Ivanna)
> "Rhonda"

.. But she only
> does ferrals.Of course it won't stop someone who can't afford to put
> their own cat inne of those traps to get a freebee done.Now would it?

Around here a cat owner would do that at their peril. If a trapped kitty
seems to be friendly they trap, neuter and re-home.

Hi Im WEEniE with MyFav4ite Midi
June 14th 04, 04:17 PM
Re: Stray kitten - feed or ignore?

Group: rec.pets.cats.rescue Date: Mon, Jun 14, 2004, 7:00am From:
(Wendy)
From: (Ivanna)
"Rhonda"
But she only
does ferrals.Of course it won't stop someone who can't afford to put
their own cat in one of those traps to get a freebee done.Now would it?
Around here a cat owner would do that at their peril. If a trapped kitty
seems to be friendly they trap, neuter and re-home.

I understand what you're saying. I have 5 cats ranging from 1 year old
to a little over 10 years old.All indoors all fixed. I myself would even
think of putting a house cat in with a ferral. But I know people would
do it. People who live in my building have about 4 cats 3 males & 1
female plus 2 kittens male & female about 12 weeks old. All from the
same family. They roam around & know the other cats so I know if the
owner of those cats especially the male cats had the chance to put a
couple of her males in one of those traps & then call this woman.She
probably would do it. Now she has a pitbull that is fixed. This dog is
so friendly even with cats & other dogs

From: (Ivanna)
"Rhonda"
[...]

June 28th 04, 09:58 PM
Best advice would be to contact the local cat or animal welfare centre.
They are fully trained to take in strays and rehome them properly.

"Ivanna" > wrote in message
om...
> Well I must first admit I've already been feeding it all week. It
appeared
> very bony when I first started, but looks more like a normal kitten now.
>
> My concern is that this may be a female and that she will be bringing me
> loads more kittens to feed if she is not fixed. (I am way allergic to
cats
> and couldn't have even one in the house) She runs away on approach, but
> stays within sight if she expects I will put a bit of food out for her.
> Suggestions?

June 28th 04, 09:58 PM
Best advice would be to contact the local cat or animal welfare centre.
They are fully trained to take in strays and rehome them properly.

"Ivanna" > wrote in message
om...
> Well I must first admit I've already been feeding it all week. It
appeared
> very bony when I first started, but looks more like a normal kitten now.
>
> My concern is that this may be a female and that she will be bringing me
> loads more kittens to feed if she is not fixed. (I am way allergic to
cats
> and couldn't have even one in the house) She runs away on approach, but
> stays within sight if she expects I will put a bit of food out for her.
> Suggestions?

Sharon Talbert
June 29th 04, 09:46 PM
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 wrote:

> Best advice would be to contact the local cat or animal welfare centre.
> They are fully trained to take in strays and rehome them properly.

Shy or feral "strays" rarely see the adoption room. Institutional
shelters may keep the animal for a few days (depending on local laws) and
then euthanize. "No-Kill" shelters simply won't take them.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus (feral) Cats

Sharon Talbert
June 29th 04, 09:46 PM
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 wrote:

> Best advice would be to contact the local cat or animal welfare centre.
> They are fully trained to take in strays and rehome them properly.

Shy or feral "strays" rarely see the adoption room. Institutional
shelters may keep the animal for a few days (depending on local laws) and
then euthanize. "No-Kill" shelters simply won't take them.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus (feral) Cats

Tracy
June 30th 04, 05:03 AM
Sharon Talbert > wrote in message gton.edu>...

> Shy or feral "strays" rarely see the adoption room. Institutional
> shelters may keep the animal for a few days (depending on local laws) and
> then euthanize. "No-Kill" shelters simply won't take them.
>
> Sharon Talbert
> Friends of Campus (feral) Cats

It depends on the no-kill shelter. If it's a kitten, as this one is,
some no-kill shelters will take them. Some won't, of course :<

Tracy
June 30th 04, 05:03 AM
Sharon Talbert > wrote in message gton.edu>...

> Shy or feral "strays" rarely see the adoption room. Institutional
> shelters may keep the animal for a few days (depending on local laws) and
> then euthanize. "No-Kill" shelters simply won't take them.
>
> Sharon Talbert
> Friends of Campus (feral) Cats

It depends on the no-kill shelter. If it's a kitten, as this one is,
some no-kill shelters will take them. Some won't, of course :<

Sharon Talbert
June 30th 04, 10:06 PM

> It depends on the no-kill shelter. If it's a kitten, as this one is,
> some no-kill shelters will take them. Some won't, of course :<

It is true that some nonprofit shelters (I really don't like the term
non-kill, which is undefined at best and misleading at worst) will take
underage kittens or unsocialized small kittens into foster care if they
have such a program. Some conventional (city and county) shelters will
take such kittens into foster care for that matter, City of Seattle among
them. I seem to recall the kitten in question was at least a juvenile,
though. The nonprofits won't take an older kitten because they have a
choice, and the conventional shelters take them because they must and then
euthanize.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Sharon Talbert
June 30th 04, 10:06 PM

> It depends on the no-kill shelter. If it's a kitten, as this one is,
> some no-kill shelters will take them. Some won't, of course :<

It is true that some nonprofit shelters (I really don't like the term
non-kill, which is undefined at best and misleading at worst) will take
underage kittens or unsocialized small kittens into foster care if they
have such a program. Some conventional (city and county) shelters will
take such kittens into foster care for that matter, City of Seattle among
them. I seem to recall the kitten in question was at least a juvenile,
though. The nonprofits won't take an older kitten because they have a
choice, and the conventional shelters take them because they must and then
euthanize.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Ron Herfurth
July 1st 04, 02:38 PM
"Sharon Talbert" > wrote in message
ashington.edu...

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 wrote:
>
> > Best advice would be to contact the local cat or animal welfare centre.
> > They are fully trained to take in strays and rehome them properly.
> >

> Shy or feral "strays" rarely see the adoption room. Institutional
> shelters may keep the animal for a few days (depending on local laws) and
> then euthanize. "No-Kill" shelters simply won't take them.
>
> Sharon Talbert
> Friends of Campus (feral) Cats

But some rescuers will take them home to be indoor ferals. It's quit the one
way street where the rescuer provides shelter, food, medical care, and a
long comfortable life free from want and harm, in exchange for hissing,
growling, aloofness, and a total lack of anything even vaugely resembling
gratitude.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.
Ron

Ron Herfurth
July 1st 04, 02:38 PM
"Sharon Talbert" > wrote in message
ashington.edu...

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 wrote:
>
> > Best advice would be to contact the local cat or animal welfare centre.
> > They are fully trained to take in strays and rehome them properly.
> >

> Shy or feral "strays" rarely see the adoption room. Institutional
> shelters may keep the animal for a few days (depending on local laws) and
> then euthanize. "No-Kill" shelters simply won't take them.
>
> Sharon Talbert
> Friends of Campus (feral) Cats

But some rescuers will take them home to be indoor ferals. It's quit the one
way street where the rescuer provides shelter, food, medical care, and a
long comfortable life free from want and harm, in exchange for hissing,
growling, aloofness, and a total lack of anything even vaugely resembling
gratitude.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.
Ron

Sharon Talbert
July 2nd 04, 08:20 PM

> But some rescuers will take them home to be indoor ferals. It's quit the one
> way street where the rescuer provides shelter, food, medical care, and a
> long comfortable life free from want and harm, in exchange for hissing,
> growling, aloofness, and a total lack of anything even vaugely resembling
> gratitude.
>
> Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Ron, if you are suggesting that I take home feral kittens, I've not only
tried it, I've modeled my life around it!

In my message, I was responding to a suggestion that a feral kitten be
taken to a shelter. The point of my message was that an unsocialized cat
or kitten is not a likely candidate for a shelter. The city/county
shelters accept them and euthanize, while the nonprofits (so-called
"no-kills") simply won't take them.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus (feral) Cats
Seattle