PDA

View Full Version : kittens

Wendy
July 2nd 04, 01:00 AM
How does one go about domesticating ferile kittens?

The dh brought home 6 of them. They are approx. 8 - 12 wks. old. and want no
parts of being picked up - hissing, biting and scratching ensues when you
try. They had been living under a friend's porch but were upsetting the
resident 22 yr.old (not in good health) cat so they had to be moved
somewhere else.

Are these guys too old to tame? How does one go about doing so if possible?

Cheryl
July 2nd 04, 02:41 AM
In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.rescue", "Wendy"
> artfully composed this message within
> on 01 Jul 2004:

> Are these guys too old to tame? How does one go about doing so
> if possible?

I tamed one that was 4-5 months, possibly even 6 months old. She
was very wild, and it took socializing her in a cage to tame her.
That's my Bonnie. I kept the cage mostly covered for a while, cage
in another room and sat with her and talked to her. Pet her with
welders gloves on until she was used to being touched. Fed her on a
long spoon for a while in addition to food in a bowl to get her to
associate me with food. Moved the cage out to the living room so my
cats could get used to her without anyone getting too stressed (she
really bonded with resident cat Shamrock while in the cage). It
took a while, but from what I understand, not as long as some cats.
I'm not sure how to go about that with multiple cats, but I hope
some will have suggestions. I definitely don't think they are too
old to be tamed, not at all! Good luck!

Link to Bonnie's photo album during her taming period:
http://community.webshots.com/album/75552731ngVsAM

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
July 2nd 04, 02:41 AM
In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.rescue", "Wendy"
> artfully composed this message within
> on 01 Jul 2004:

> Are these guys too old to tame? How does one go about doing so
> if possible?

I tamed one that was 4-5 months, possibly even 6 months old. She
was very wild, and it took socializing her in a cage to tame her.
That's my Bonnie. I kept the cage mostly covered for a while, cage
in another room and sat with her and talked to her. Pet her with
welders gloves on until she was used to being touched. Fed her on a
long spoon for a while in addition to food in a bowl to get her to
associate me with food. Moved the cage out to the living room so my
cats could get used to her without anyone getting too stressed (she
really bonded with resident cat Shamrock while in the cage). It
took a while, but from what I understand, not as long as some cats.
I'm not sure how to go about that with multiple cats, but I hope
some will have suggestions. I definitely don't think they are too
old to be tamed, not at all! Good luck!

Link to Bonnie's photo album during her taming period:
http://community.webshots.com/album/75552731ngVsAM

--
Cheryl

Cat Protector
July 2nd 04, 02:48 AM
I have heard that feral kittens are much easier to be amongst humans that
the adults. You probably got them at a good time but I would ask a rescue
group that deals with ferals for some tips. You said you moved them but was
the mother cat around?

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"Wendy" > wrote in message
> How does one go about domesticating ferile kittens?
>
> The dh brought home 6 of them. They are approx. 8 - 12 wks. old. and want
no
> parts of being picked up - hissing, biting and scratching ensues when you
> try. They had been living under a friend's porch but were upsetting the
> resident 22 yr.old (not in good health) cat so they had to be moved
> somewhere else.
>
> Are these guys too old to tame? How does one go about doing so if
possible?

Wendy
July 2nd 04, 03:17 AM
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> I have heard that feral kittens are much easier to be amongst humans that
> the adults. You probably got them at a good time but I would ask a rescue
> group that deals with ferals for some tips. You said you moved them but
was
> the mother cat around?
>
> --
No mom wasn't there when the dh snagged the kittens. I think they're going
to try to trap mom and get her spayed so she doesn't do this again.

I've got a call into the rescue group but haven't heard back from them yet.

Wendy
July 2nd 04, 03:17 AM
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> I have heard that feral kittens are much easier to be amongst humans that
> the adults. You probably got them at a good time but I would ask a rescue
> group that deals with ferals for some tips. You said you moved them but
was
> the mother cat around?
>
> --
No mom wasn't there when the dh snagged the kittens. I think they're going
to try to trap mom and get her spayed so she doesn't do this again.

I've got a call into the rescue group but haven't heard back from them yet.

Wendy
July 2nd 04, 03:29 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.rescue", "Wendy"
> > artfully composed this message within
> > on 01 Jul 2004:
>
> > Are these guys too old to tame? How does one go about doing so
> > if possible?
>
> I tamed one that was 4-5 months, possibly even 6 months old. She
> was very wild, and it took socializing her in a cage to tame her.
> That's my Bonnie. I kept the cage mostly covered for a while, cage
> in another room and sat with her and talked to her. Pet her with
> welders gloves on until she was used to being touched. Fed her on a
> long spoon for a while in addition to food in a bowl to get her to
> associate me with food. Moved the cage out to the living room so my
> cats could get used to her without anyone getting too stressed (she
> really bonded with resident cat Shamrock while in the cage). It
> took a while, but from what I understand, not as long as some cats.
> I'm not sure how to go about that with multiple cats, but I hope
> some will have suggestions. I definitely don't think they are too
> old to be tamed, not at all! Good luck!
>
> Link to Bonnie's photo album during her taming period:
> http://community.webshots.com/album/75552731ngVsAM
>
> --
> Cheryl

I've got them in the cat playpen at the moment. They'll be staying there
until I can get them up to the vet to be FIV FeLV tested. I imagine the vet
would appreciate it if I waited until they will tolerate being handled.

I was able to reach in and pet all but one of them this evening after
sitting and talking to them for a while so that's encouraging. They are
pretty guys. Two tabbies with Bengal type markings, one long haired dilute
calico, two black and white and a gray and white.

My bottle fed litter left last weekend. Oh well I'm back to litter being my
life again lol

Wendy
July 2nd 04, 03:29 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.rescue", "Wendy"
> > artfully composed this message within
> > on 01 Jul 2004:
>
> > Are these guys too old to tame? How does one go about doing so
> > if possible?
>
> I tamed one that was 4-5 months, possibly even 6 months old. She
> was very wild, and it took socializing her in a cage to tame her.
> That's my Bonnie. I kept the cage mostly covered for a while, cage
> in another room and sat with her and talked to her. Pet her with
> welders gloves on until she was used to being touched. Fed her on a
> long spoon for a while in addition to food in a bowl to get her to
> associate me with food. Moved the cage out to the living room so my
> cats could get used to her without anyone getting too stressed (she
> really bonded with resident cat Shamrock while in the cage). It
> took a while, but from what I understand, not as long as some cats.
> I'm not sure how to go about that with multiple cats, but I hope
> some will have suggestions. I definitely don't think they are too
> old to be tamed, not at all! Good luck!
>
> Link to Bonnie's photo album during her taming period:
> http://community.webshots.com/album/75552731ngVsAM
>
> --
> Cheryl

I've got them in the cat playpen at the moment. They'll be staying there
until I can get them up to the vet to be FIV FeLV tested. I imagine the vet
would appreciate it if I waited until they will tolerate being handled.

I was able to reach in and pet all but one of them this evening after
sitting and talking to them for a while so that's encouraging. They are
pretty guys. Two tabbies with Bengal type markings, one long haired dilute
calico, two black and white and a gray and white.

My bottle fed litter left last weekend. Oh well I'm back to litter being my
life again lol

Cat Protector
July 2nd 04, 05:14 AM
Where are you located? As for the mother cat, hopefully it will be TNR. That
is the best thing you can do for ferals.

"Wendy" > wrote in message

> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> > I have heard that feral kittens are much easier to be amongst humans
that
> > the adults. You probably got them at a good time but I would ask a
rescue
> > group that deals with ferals for some tips. You said you moved them but
> was
> > the mother cat around?
> >
> > --
> No mom wasn't there when the dh snagged the kittens. I think they're going
> to try to trap mom and get her spayed so she doesn't do this again.
>
> I've got a call into the rescue group but haven't heard back from them
yet.

Rhonda
July 2nd 04, 06:54 AM
Wow, six of them!

A couple of years ago, my sig. trapped three at his job. Mom-cat was
later captured and spayed by a rescue group.

The kitties were judged to be about 10 weeks old. They hissed at us and
hid immediately. We kept all three in our bathroom for several weeks.

We let them hide in a box or the drawers without bothering them for the
first day. After that, we spent lots and lots of time with them, just
sitting and gently talking to them, getting them used to humans.

After a few days, I could lay my hand close to them and even touch one
of them without a hiss. The vet gave us good advice -- move slowly.
Don't use jerky motions or try to grab a fleeing cat. Any sudden
movement by us sent them flying.

I also started playing with them with a toy on a long string. They were
so tempted by that, they finally would thrust a paw out of the box while
I was there. Eventually, they all started playing, they couldn't help
themselves. Finally, I could pet them, and after a week or more, I could
pick one or two up (very slowly again.) By the second week, they were
starting to understand, and like, getting some affection.

We found a happy home for one kitten. He is still skittish to new people
and new sounds, but very loving to his human. We kept two. One of ours
is almost normal, lounging on the couch, a fairly relaxed cat. The other
one is skittish, but very affectionate. She will always be a flighty
cat, but is bright, alert, and happy.

Good luck with your guys!

Rhonda

Wendy wrote:

> How does one go about domesticating ferile kittens?
>
> The dh brought home 6 of them. They are approx. 8 - 12 wks. old. and want no
> parts of being picked up - hissing, biting and scratching ensues when you
> try. They had been living under a friend's porch but were upsetting the
> resident 22 yr.old (not in good health) cat so they had to be moved
> somewhere else.
>
> Are these guys too old to tame? How does one go about doing so if possible?

William Hamblen
July 2nd 04, 07:11 AM
On 2004-07-02, Wendy > wrote:

>How does one go about doing so if possible?

They quickly learn to love the one who feeds them. A stray kitten moved
into our garden shed last year and was as wild as could be at first.
It took about a month for her to settle down. Now she is a little
lap fungus.

I would be more concerned about litter training.

William Hamblen
July 2nd 04, 07:11 AM
On 2004-07-02, Wendy > wrote:

>How does one go about doing so if possible?

They quickly learn to love the one who feeds them. A stray kitten moved
into our garden shed last year and was as wild as could be at first.
It took about a month for her to settle down. Now she is a little
lap fungus.

I would be more concerned about litter training.

Wendy
July 2nd 04, 10:45 AM
"William Hamblen" > wrote in message
> On 2004-07-02, Wendy > wrote:
>
> >How does one go about doing so if possible?
>
> They quickly learn to love the one who feeds them. A stray kitten moved
> into our garden shed last year and was as wild as could be at first.
> It took about a month for her to settle down. Now she is a little
> lap fungus.
>
> I would be more concerned about litter training.

They used the box overnight. :o)

Wendy
July 2nd 04, 10:45 AM
"William Hamblen" > wrote in message
> On 2004-07-02, Wendy > wrote:
>
> >How does one go about doing so if possible?
>
> They quickly learn to love the one who feeds them. A stray kitten moved
> into our garden shed last year and was as wild as could be at first.
> It took about a month for her to settle down. Now she is a little
> lap fungus.
>
> I would be more concerned about litter training.

They used the box overnight. :o)

Wendy
July 2nd 04, 11:01 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Wow, six of them!
>
> A couple of years ago, my sig. trapped three at his job. Mom-cat was
> later captured and spayed by a rescue group.
>
> The kitties were judged to be about 10 weeks old. They hissed at us and
> hid immediately. We kept all three in our bathroom for several weeks.
>
> We let them hide in a box or the drawers without bothering them for the
> first day. After that, we spent lots and lots of time with them, just
> sitting and gently talking to them, getting them used to humans.
>
> After a few days, I could lay my hand close to them and even touch one
> of them without a hiss. The vet gave us good advice -- move slowly.
> Don't use jerky motions or try to grab a fleeing cat. Any sudden
> movement by us sent them flying.
>
> I also started playing with them with a toy on a long string. They were
> so tempted by that, they finally would thrust a paw out of the box while
> I was there. Eventually, they all started playing, they couldn't help
> themselves. Finally, I could pet them, and after a week or more, I could
> pick one or two up (very slowly again.) By the second week, they were
> starting to understand, and like, getting some affection.
>
> We found a happy home for one kitten. He is still skittish to new people
> and new sounds, but very loving to his human. We kept two. One of ours
> is almost normal, lounging on the couch, a fairly relaxed cat. The other
> one is skittish, but very affectionate. She will always be a flighty
> cat, but is bright, alert, and happy.
>
> Good luck with your guys!
>
> Rhonda

This morning I've been able to gently stoke all their heads. Even the most
suspicious one, the gray and white, decided that getting his head stroked
wasn't necessarily a bad thing. The one little black and white let me tickle
him under the chin and started leaning into it until he realized what he was
doing. He's even got a little purring action going there. He's the most laid
back of the bunch.

Wendy
July 2nd 04, 11:01 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Wow, six of them!
>
> A couple of years ago, my sig. trapped three at his job. Mom-cat was
> later captured and spayed by a rescue group.
>
> The kitties were judged to be about 10 weeks old. They hissed at us and
> hid immediately. We kept all three in our bathroom for several weeks.
>
> We let them hide in a box or the drawers without bothering them for the
> first day. After that, we spent lots and lots of time with them, just
> sitting and gently talking to them, getting them used to humans.
>
> After a few days, I could lay my hand close to them and even touch one
> of them without a hiss. The vet gave us good advice -- move slowly.
> Don't use jerky motions or try to grab a fleeing cat. Any sudden
> movement by us sent them flying.
>
> I also started playing with them with a toy on a long string. They were
> so tempted by that, they finally would thrust a paw out of the box while
> I was there. Eventually, they all started playing, they couldn't help
> themselves. Finally, I could pet them, and after a week or more, I could
> pick one or two up (very slowly again.) By the second week, they were
> starting to understand, and like, getting some affection.
>
> We found a happy home for one kitten. He is still skittish to new people
> and new sounds, but very loving to his human. We kept two. One of ours
> is almost normal, lounging on the couch, a fairly relaxed cat. The other
> one is skittish, but very affectionate. She will always be a flighty
> cat, but is bright, alert, and happy.
>
> Good luck with your guys!
>
> Rhonda

This morning I've been able to gently stoke all their heads. Even the most
suspicious one, the gray and white, decided that getting his head stroked
wasn't necessarily a bad thing. The one little black and white let me tickle
him under the chin and started leaning into it until he realized what he was
doing. He's even got a little purring action going there. He's the most laid
back of the bunch.

Linda Terrell
July 2nd 04, 04:12 PM
On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 09:45:37 UTC, "Wendy" > wrote:

> "William Hamblen" > wrote in message
> > On 2004-07-02, Wendy > wrote:
> >
> > >How does one go about doing so if possible?
> >
> > They quickly learn to love the one who feeds them. A stray kitten moved
> > into our garden shed last year and was as wild as could be at first.
> > It took about a month for her to settle down. Now she is a little
> > lap fungus.
> >
> > I would be more concerned about litter training.
>
> They used the box overnight. :o)

A trick we use to help settle feral kittens, is to wrap them in a
towel
when we pick them up. That way they get used to the feeling of
being handled through the towel -- massage them a lot -- but your
hands are
protected. They rather quickly come to like it.

LT

Linda Terrell
July 2nd 04, 04:12 PM
On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 09:45:37 UTC, "Wendy" > wrote:

> "William Hamblen" > wrote in message
> > On 2004-07-02, Wendy > wrote:
> >
> > >How does one go about doing so if possible?
> >
> > They quickly learn to love the one who feeds them. A stray kitten moved
> > into our garden shed last year and was as wild as could be at first.
> > It took about a month for her to settle down. Now she is a little
> > lap fungus.
> >
> > I would be more concerned about litter training.
>
> They used the box overnight. :o)

A trick we use to help settle feral kittens, is to wrap them in a
towel
when we pick them up. That way they get used to the feeling of
being handled through the towel -- massage them a lot -- but your
hands are
protected. They rather quickly come to like it.

LT

Sharon Talbert
July 2nd 04, 08:40 PM
Wendy, the Campus Cats website has a blurb on socializing that might help
you. You've taken on a real project, though, with so many kittens! Are
they all from the same litter?

Step one, is get the kittens to a vet who is comfortable in dealing with
fraidycats. They should be vaccinated and wormed at least, tested for
FeLV if possible. If they are of sound health and weigh at least 2
pounds, they are old enough to be sterilized as well.

Step two, is catch the momcat and get her spayed. If she is also feral, I
hope she can be returned to the backyard as a mouser. Food and shelter is
the only compensation she would require.

A vet visit for the kittens will also determine their age. A kitten as
old as 12 weeks generally takes much more time to socialize (though we've
had good luck with kittens as old as 4 months). An 8-week kitten is more
likely to quickly turn around.

Right now, Campus Cats has a 7-week kitten in foster care who put up a
great front, hissing and spitting and trying to escape. She came in on
Sunday and today she is snuggling in my arms, purring her brains out.
She is going to her foster mother tonight, to continue her studies as a
housecat, and I expect her to be ready for her new home in 1-2 weeks.
Each animal is different, though, and must be evaluated as such.

Read the article, Taming the Tiger, posted to the Campus Cats website. It
may help. You can also contact me at home:

Good luck!

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
www.campuscats.org

[...]

Priscilla H Ballou
July 2nd 04, 08:42 PM
Wendy > quoth:

>I've got them in the cat playpen at the moment. They'll be staying there
>until I can get them up to the vet to be FIV FeLV tested. I imagine the v=
et
>would appreciate it if I waited until they will tolerate being handled.

>I was able to reach in and pet all but one of them this evening after
>sitting and talking to them for a while so that's encouraging.=20

That is *very* encouraging! When I socialized Sebastian (who was about 3=20
months when I got him from his rescuer), it took 16 days before he'd let=20
me pet him.

Keep going!

Priscilla
--=20
"The question is whether the Bible is primarily a book of laws=20
to you and you need divine permission for all and everything you=20
do, or a charter of God's love with love as the summary of God's=20
will, and freedom to find out what that means in a changing world,=20
and forgiveness for those who honestly try to find out but err."
- Andreas H=F6feld in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

Priscilla H Ballou
July 2nd 04, 08:42 PM
Wendy > quoth:

>I've got them in the cat playpen at the moment. They'll be staying there
>until I can get them up to the vet to be FIV FeLV tested. I imagine the v=
et
>would appreciate it if I waited until they will tolerate being handled.

>I was able to reach in and pet all but one of them this evening after
>sitting and talking to them for a while so that's encouraging.=20

That is *very* encouraging! When I socialized Sebastian (who was about 3=20
months when I got him from his rescuer), it took 16 days before he'd let=20
me pet him.

Keep going!

Priscilla
--=20
"The question is whether the Bible is primarily a book of laws=20
to you and you need divine permission for all and everything you=20
do, or a charter of God's love with love as the summary of God's=20
will, and freedom to find out what that means in a changing world,=20
and forgiveness for those who honestly try to find out but err."
- Andreas H=F6feld in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

Priscilla H Ballou
July 2nd 04, 08:45 PM
Wendy > quoth:
>"William Hamblen" > wrote in message
>> On 2004-07-02, Wendy > wrote:
>>
>> >How does one go about doing so if possible?
>>
>> They quickly learn to love the one who feeds them. A stray kitten move=
>> into our garden shed last year and was as wild as could be at first.
>> It took about a month for her to settle down. Now she is a little
>> lap fungus.
>>
>> I would be more concerned about litter training.

>They used the box overnight. :o)

Yeah, I would have expected that. My former feral kitten took to his box=20
right away.=20=20

Priscilla
--=20
"The question is whether the Bible is primarily a book of laws=20
to you and you need divine permission for all and everything you=20
do, or a charter of God's love with love as the summary of God's=20
will, and freedom to find out what that means in a changing world,=20
and forgiveness for those who honestly try to find out but err."
- Andreas H=F6feld in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

Priscilla H Ballou
July 2nd 04, 08:45 PM
Wendy > quoth:
>"William Hamblen" > wrote in message
>> On 2004-07-02, Wendy > wrote:
>>
>> >How does one go about doing so if possible?
>>
>> They quickly learn to love the one who feeds them. A stray kitten move=
>> into our garden shed last year and was as wild as could be at first.
>> It took about a month for her to settle down. Now she is a little
>> lap fungus.
>>
>> I would be more concerned about litter training.

>They used the box overnight. :o)

Yeah, I would have expected that. My former feral kitten took to his box=20
right away.=20=20

Priscilla
--=20
"The question is whether the Bible is primarily a book of laws=20
to you and you need divine permission for all and everything you=20
do, or a charter of God's love with love as the summary of God's=20
will, and freedom to find out what that means in a changing world,=20
and forgiveness for those who honestly try to find out but err."
- Andreas H=F6feld in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

Priscilla H Ballou
July 2nd 04, 08:48 PM
To the original poster: listen to Sharon. She's an expert.

Sharon Talbert > quoth:

>Right now, Campus Cats has a 7-week kitten in foster care who put up a
>great front, hissing and spitting and trying to escape. She came in on
>Sunday and today she is snuggling in my arms, purring her brains out.

My Sebbie put up a great front, too, but when it came down to it, he was=20
unwilling to actually hurt me. The worst he ever did was punch me with a=20
velvet paw, claws pulled in. Such a sweetie, all hiss and no bite. :-)

However, one cannot *count* on that!

Priscilla
--=20
"The question is whether the Bible is primarily a book of laws=20
to you and you need divine permission for all and everything you=20
do, or a charter of God's love with love as the summary of God's=20
will, and freedom to find out what that means in a changing world,=20
and forgiveness for those who honestly try to find out but err."
- Andreas H=F6feld in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

Priscilla H Ballou
July 2nd 04, 08:48 PM
To the original poster: listen to Sharon. She's an expert.

Sharon Talbert > quoth:

>Right now, Campus Cats has a 7-week kitten in foster care who put up a
>great front, hissing and spitting and trying to escape. She came in on
>Sunday and today she is snuggling in my arms, purring her brains out.

My Sebbie put up a great front, too, but when it came down to it, he was=20
unwilling to actually hurt me. The worst he ever did was punch me with a=20
velvet paw, claws pulled in. Such a sweetie, all hiss and no bite. :-)

However, one cannot *count* on that!

Priscilla
--=20
"The question is whether the Bible is primarily a book of laws=20
to you and you need divine permission for all and everything you=20
do, or a charter of God's love with love as the summary of God's=20
will, and freedom to find out what that means in a changing world,=20
and forgiveness for those who honestly try to find out but err."
- Andreas H=F6feld in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

Sharon Talbert
July 2nd 04, 10:13 PM

> My Sebbie put up a great front, too, but when it came down to it, he was
> unwilling to actually hurt me. The worst he ever did was punch me with a
> velvet paw, claws pulled in. Such a sweetie, all hiss and no bite. :-)
>
> However, one cannot *count* on that!

Oh, I've learned that lesson! Part of my standard equipment is a pair of
welder's gloves, along with the plastic spoon full of babyfood. At least
until the kitten and I are better acquainted.

Mostly the hisses are nerves. I call them "pink hisses."

Sharon
Campus Cats

Sharon Talbert
July 2nd 04, 10:13 PM

> My Sebbie put up a great front, too, but when it came down to it, he was
> unwilling to actually hurt me. The worst he ever did was punch me with a
> velvet paw, claws pulled in. Such a sweetie, all hiss and no bite. :-)
>
> However, one cannot *count* on that!

Oh, I've learned that lesson! Part of my standard equipment is a pair of
welder's gloves, along with the plastic spoon full of babyfood. At least
until the kitten and I are better acquainted.

Mostly the hisses are nerves. I call them "pink hisses."

Sharon
Campus Cats

Linda Terrell
July 3rd 04, 03:59 PM
On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 19:42:24 UTC, Priscilla H Ballou
> wrote:

> Wendy > quoth:
>
> >I've got them in the cat playpen at the moment. They'll be staying there
> >until I can get them up to the vet to be FIV FeLV tested. I imagine the vet
> >would appreciate it if I waited until they will tolerate being handled.
>
> >I was able to reach in and pet all but one of them this evening after
> >sitting and talking to them for a while so that's encouraging.
>
> That is *very* encouraging! When I socialized Sebastian (who was about 3
> months when I got him from his rescuer), it took 16 days before he'd let
> me pet him.
>
> Keep going!
>
> Priscilla

--I once found 5 kittens in our back yard. Tame abandoned Mom was
keeping
them in our garden hose terra cotta bowl. They were stumbling out one
day while
I was out there and I saw the movement. Thought it was a mouse. Then
I went over and
found 5 adorable kittens, about 4-5 weeks old. silly me, I gathered
them up in my
arms and brought them into show to my husband. Thought to take them
in but they
still needed mom and she came by, yowling pitifully. She'd evidently
had them out there
and stayed there.

She ran off, but kept coming back so I out the kittens back in the
bowl. Thing is, the kittens
never spat or got nervous -- they just though I was the most marvelous
ride. Mom moved
them of course, to a spce between our chain-link fence and the
neighbor's privacy fence.
There they stayed. She took them away once, and I couldn't find them.
Then they showded up
between the fences again. I put food out and they scarffed it down
like they'd always been
eating canned food.

We finally did take them in a week later because we worrked about the
coyotes that were around,
and that they'd just become street ferals and be killed. So I took
them in and fostered them.
Finally even trapped Mom. The kittens just adored our bathroom and
the box we set up
for them with towels. They would come spilling out whenever we came
in. Even took to the
litter box. Yet these were kittens born in our back yard and rarely
saw a person.

So, the kittens were people friendly but Mom was nutso. We calmed her
a lot then took
the lot to Second Chance for Strays.

Been fostering ever since.

LT

Linda Terrell
July 3rd 04, 03:59 PM
On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 19:42:24 UTC, Priscilla H Ballou
> wrote:

> Wendy > quoth:
>
> >I've got them in the cat playpen at the moment. They'll be staying there
> >until I can get them up to the vet to be FIV FeLV tested. I imagine the vet
> >would appreciate it if I waited until they will tolerate being handled.
>
> >I was able to reach in and pet all but one of them this evening after
> >sitting and talking to them for a while so that's encouraging.
>
> That is *very* encouraging! When I socialized Sebastian (who was about 3
> months when I got him from his rescuer), it took 16 days before he'd let
> me pet him.
>
> Keep going!
>
> Priscilla

--I once found 5 kittens in our back yard. Tame abandoned Mom was
keeping
them in our garden hose terra cotta bowl. They were stumbling out one
day while
I was out there and I saw the movement. Thought it was a mouse. Then
I went over and
found 5 adorable kittens, about 4-5 weeks old. silly me, I gathered
them up in my
arms and brought them into show to my husband. Thought to take them
in but they
still needed mom and she came by, yowling pitifully. She'd evidently
had them out there
and stayed there.

She ran off, but kept coming back so I out the kittens back in the
bowl. Thing is, the kittens
never spat or got nervous -- they just though I was the most marvelous
ride. Mom moved
them of course, to a spce between our chain-link fence and the
neighbor's privacy fence.
There they stayed. She took them away once, and I couldn't find them.
Then they showded up
between the fences again. I put food out and they scarffed it down
like they'd always been
eating canned food.

We finally did take them in a week later because we worrked about the
coyotes that were around,
and that they'd just become street ferals and be killed. So I took
them in and fostered them.
Finally even trapped Mom. The kittens just adored our bathroom and
the box we set up
for them with towels. They would come spilling out whenever we came
in. Even took to the
litter box. Yet these were kittens born in our back yard and rarely
saw a person.

So, the kittens were people friendly but Mom was nutso. We calmed her
a lot then took
the lot to Second Chance for Strays.

Been fostering ever since.

LT

Wendy
July 5th 04, 08:49 PM
"Sharon Talbert" > wrote in message
. washington.edu...

> Wendy, the Campus Cats website has a blurb on socializing that might help
> you. You've taken on a real project, though, with so many kittens! Are
> they all from the same litter?
>
> Step one, is get the kittens to a vet who is comfortable in dealing with
> fraidycats. They should be vaccinated and wormed at least, tested for
> FeLV if possible. If they are of sound health and weigh at least 2
> pounds, they are old enough to be sterilized as well.
>
> Step two, is catch the momcat and get her spayed. If she is also feral, I
> hope she can be returned to the backyard as a mouser. Food and shelter is
> the only compensation she would require.
>
> A vet visit for the kittens will also determine their age. A kitten as
> old as 12 weeks generally takes much more time to socialize (though we've
> had good luck with kittens as old as 4 months). An 8-week kitten is more
> likely to quickly turn around.
>
> Right now, Campus Cats has a 7-week kitten in foster care who put up a
> great front, hissing and spitting and trying to escape. She came in on
> Sunday and today she is snuggling in my arms, purring her brains out.
> She is going to her foster mother tonight, to continue her studies as a
> housecat, and I expect her to be ready for her new home in 1-2 weeks.
> Each animal is different, though, and must be evaluated as such.
>
> Read the article, Taming the Tiger, posted to the Campus Cats website. It
> may help. You can also contact me at home:
>
> Good luck!
>
> Sharon Talbert
> Friends of Campus Cats
> www.campuscats.org

Well I guess these guys must be closer to 8 wks than 12 because they are
coming along pretty well. The dh and I were away for the weekend and kitties
were left with my 24 yr. old son (still lives at home) to feed water and pet
them if they seemed inclined otherwise just talk to them and hang out around
them when he was home. We got home this morning and I needed to clean their
cage out. I was able to pick them up under their tummies to relocate them in
the cage while I swept out the bottom with no hissing and just a few "hey
what's this lady doing" looks. Once I got the cage back into tip top shape I
decided to try picking them up and holding them if they didn't put up too
much of a fuss. They all cooperated well enough to at least establish that
we have three boys and three girls. One of them is super laid back and ended
up draped over my hand while I pet him. This is the same guy whose purr
motor turned on while I was petting him under the chin on Friday. The gray
and white little girl who took a few chunks out the dh when he caught them
is the other one who is most relaxed being handled. There are two girls who
would prefer I bug off but are putting up with being handled. A few growls
and a half baked hiss but my skin is intact. At this point I should be able
to get them into a carrier for the trip to the vet though. Of course I
expect they will look on me with a little less favor after that trip but it
has to be done.

> [...]

decided to try picking them up and holding them if they didn't put up too
much of a fuss. They all cooperated well enough to at least establish that
we have three boys and three girls. One of them is super laid back and ended
up draped over my hand while I pet him. This is the same guy whose purr
motor turned on while I was petting him under the chin on Friday. The gray
and white little girl who took a few chunks out the dh when he caught them
is the other one who is most relaxed being handled. There are two girls who
would prefer I bug off but are putting up with being handled. A few growls
and a half baked hiss but my skin is intact. At this point I should be able
to get them into a carrier for the trip to the vet though. Of course I
expect they will look on me with a little less favor after that trip but it

July 6th 04, 10:17 PM
I am glad the kittens are coming around. I've been pleasantly surprised
by many an older kitten and even the occasional feral-born adult. Looking
forward to a report after their vet visit.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Sharon Talbert
July 6th 04, 10:17 PM
I am glad the kittens are coming around. I've been pleasantly surprised
by many an older kitten and even the occasional feral-born adult. Looking
forward to a report after their vet visit.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Wendy
July 8th 04, 12:53 PM
"Sharon Talbert" > wrote in message
. washington.edu...

> I am glad the kittens are coming around. I've been pleasantly surprised
> by many an older kitten and even the occasional feral-born adult. Looking
> forward to a report after their vet visit.
>
> Sharon Talbert
> Friends of Campus Cats

They went to the vet last night. They all tested negative - YAY!

They were very calm in the carriers and didn't make a fuss for the vet.
Didn't even seem mad at me when they got back home.

I'm finding waiting for the test result is the hardest part of rescuing
these litters. I don't know how I'd handle it if they tested positive. The
rescue group's policy is to put them down then. :o(

Wendy
July 8th 04, 12:53 PM
"Sharon Talbert" > wrote in message
. washington.edu...

> I am glad the kittens are coming around. I've been pleasantly surprised
> by many an older kitten and even the occasional feral-born adult. Looking
> forward to a report after their vet visit.
>
> Sharon Talbert
> Friends of Campus Cats

They went to the vet last night. They all tested negative - YAY!

They were very calm in the carriers and didn't make a fuss for the vet.
Didn't even seem mad at me when they got back home.

I'm finding waiting for the test result is the hardest part of rescuing
these litters. I don't know how I'd handle it if they tested positive. The
rescue group's policy is to put them down then. :o(

Sharon Talbert
July 8th 04, 08:50 PM

> I'm finding waiting for the test result is the hardest part of rescuing
> these litters. I don't know how I'd handle it if they tested positive. The
> rescue group's policy is to put them down then. :o(

Euthanizing an animal that clearly tests positive for FIV/FeLV is also our
policy, but we always test at least once again before making that decision
unless the animal is already symptommatic. We also test each animal, not
just mom or a sample kitten from the litter. Expensive, but worth it.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Sharon Talbert
July 8th 04, 08:50 PM

> I'm finding waiting for the test result is the hardest part of rescuing
> these litters. I don't know how I'd handle it if they tested positive. The
> rescue group's policy is to put them down then. :o(

Euthanizing an animal that clearly tests positive for FIV/FeLV is also our
policy, but we always test at least once again before making that decision
unless the animal is already symptommatic. We also test each animal, not
just mom or a sample kitten from the litter. Expensive, but worth it.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Wendy
July 9th 04, 02:37 AM
"Sharon Talbert" > wrote in message
. washington.edu...

> > I'm finding waiting for the test result is the hardest part of rescuing
> > these litters. I don't know how I'd handle it if they tested positive.
The
> > rescue group's policy is to put them down then. :o(
> >

> Euthanizing an animal that clearly tests positive for FIV/FeLV is also our
> policy, but we always test at least once again before making that decision
> unless the animal is already symptommatic. We also test each animal, not
> just mom or a sample kitten from the litter. Expensive, but worth it.
>
> Sharon Talbert
> Friends of Campus Cats

They caught the 7th kitten and brought her over tonight. She's in isolation
for now. She has a wound below one ear. I noticed she had a tuft of fur
hanging. I originally thougt it was a mat. When I went to snip it out I
discovered there was a torn flap of skin attached to the tuft of fur. I did
snip the fur and cleaned the wound with peroxide and then put some triple
antibiotic ointment on it. I'll have to see how she is in the morning. Not
a struggle from her when I was doing all of this either.

I'm getting the live trap Saturday so we can get mom before she gets
pregnant again (if she isn't already). She's going to have to be a TNR for
now at least because nobody has room for another cat.

Wendy
July 9th 04, 02:37 AM
"Sharon Talbert" > wrote in message
. washington.edu...

> > I'm finding waiting for the test result is the hardest part of rescuing
> > these litters. I don't know how I'd handle it if they tested positive.
The
> > rescue group's policy is to put them down then. :o(
> >

> Euthanizing an animal that clearly tests positive for FIV/FeLV is also our
> policy, but we always test at least once again before making that decision
> unless the animal is already symptommatic. We also test each animal, not
> just mom or a sample kitten from the litter. Expensive, but worth it.
>
> Sharon Talbert
> Friends of Campus Cats

They caught the 7th kitten and brought her over tonight. She's in isolation
for now. She has a wound below one ear. I noticed she had a tuft of fur
hanging. I originally thougt it was a mat. When I went to snip it out I
discovered there was a torn flap of skin attached to the tuft of fur. I did
snip the fur and cleaned the wound with peroxide and then put some triple
antibiotic ointment on it. I'll have to see how she is in the morning. Not
a struggle from her when I was doing all of this either.

I'm getting the live trap Saturday so we can get mom before she gets
pregnant again (if she isn't already). She's going to have to be a TNR for
now at least because nobody has room for another cat.

JoJo
July 9th 04, 03:27 AM
One shelter I foster for tests them all. The other will test one of the
litter or the mother and assume that if one is negative they all are.

I know one will try to place positives in homes w/out other cats or in house
w/other positives. They prefer to place them in single cat household. But
there are some homes set up to house positives only.

Just had a scare that one of mine *MIGHT* have FIP. No test to determine
for sure, no cure, no treatment, no vaccines. Told me if cat is dead in a
few weeks probably FIP. That was awful to hear. You don't know what to
do - you're in a pickle. "Wait and see" - which is sooo hard. Anyway,
whatever it was, she is now fine, no longer sick and acting better than
before. Her personality has changed slightly - I think she's schizophrenic!
(she hated other cats, now she's playing - go figure).

"Sharon Talbert" > wrote in message
. washington.edu...

> > I'm finding waiting for the test result is the hardest part of rescuing
> > these litters. I don't know how I'd handle it if they tested positive.
The
> > rescue group's policy is to put them down then. :o(
> >

> Euthanizing an animal that clearly tests positive for FIV/FeLV is also our
> policy, but we always test at least once again before making that decision
> unless the animal is already symptommatic. We also test each animal, not
> just mom or a sample kitten from the litter. Expensive, but worth it.
>
> Sharon Talbert
> Friends of Campus Cats

JoJo
July 9th 04, 03:27 AM
One shelter I foster for tests them all. The other will test one of the
litter or the mother and assume that if one is negative they all are.

I know one will try to place positives in homes w/out other cats or in house
w/other positives. They prefer to place them in single cat household. But
there are some homes set up to house positives only.

Just had a scare that one of mine *MIGHT* have FIP. No test to determine
for sure, no cure, no treatment, no vaccines. Told me if cat is dead in a
few weeks probably FIP. That was awful to hear. You don't know what to
do - you're in a pickle. "Wait and see" - which is sooo hard. Anyway,
whatever it was, she is now fine, no longer sick and acting better than
before. Her personality has changed slightly - I think she's schizophrenic!
(she hated other cats, now she's playing - go figure).

"Sharon Talbert" > wrote in message
. washington.edu...

> > I'm finding waiting for the test result is the hardest part of rescuing
> > these litters. I don't know how I'd handle it if they tested positive.
The
> > rescue group's policy is to put them down then. :o(
> >

> Euthanizing an animal that clearly tests positive for FIV/FeLV is also our
> policy, but we always test at least once again before making that decision
> unless the animal is already symptommatic. We also test each animal, not
> just mom or a sample kitten from the litter. Expensive, but worth it.
>
> Sharon Talbert
> Friends of Campus Cats

Sharon Talbert
July 9th 04, 09:22 PM
> One shelter I foster for tests them all. The other will test one of the
> litter or the mother and assume that if one is negative they all are.

We have discovered one can get mixed results within a litter. And somehow
it is always the sweetest and spunkiest kitten who gets the virus.

> I know one will try to place positives in homes w/out other cats or in house
> w/other positives. They prefer to place them in single cat household. But
> there are some homes set up to house positives only.

We will no longer adopt out a FeLV+ kitten, even with aforeknowledge.
Did it once and never again. FIV is more of a possibility, but only if
someone comes forward.

> Just had a scare that one of mine *MIGHT* have FIP. No test to determine
> for sure, no cure, no treatment, no vaccines. Told me if cat is dead in a
> few weeks probably FIP. That was awful to hear.

Horrible. I am so sorry. I hate FIP. We have lost one kitten to that;
she was not symptommatic until after adoption, so she broke a lot of
hearts. When she went, her adoptive mother, foster mother, and myself
were blubbering by her side. And the vet staff; mustn't forget them. I
really really hate FIP. I hope your kitten comes out ok. Doesn't the vet
recommend you keep her isolated from the other kittens at this point? FIP
isn't that catchy, but prolonged exposure will do the trick.

Good luck to you.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Sharon Talbert
July 9th 04, 09:22 PM
> One shelter I foster for tests them all. The other will test one of the
> litter or the mother and assume that if one is negative they all are.

We have discovered one can get mixed results within a litter. And somehow
it is always the sweetest and spunkiest kitten who gets the virus.

> I know one will try to place positives in homes w/out other cats or in house
> w/other positives. They prefer to place them in single cat household. But
> there are some homes set up to house positives only.

We will no longer adopt out a FeLV+ kitten, even with aforeknowledge.
Did it once and never again. FIV is more of a possibility, but only if
someone comes forward.

> Just had a scare that one of mine *MIGHT* have FIP. No test to determine
> for sure, no cure, no treatment, no vaccines. Told me if cat is dead in a
> few weeks probably FIP. That was awful to hear.

Horrible. I am so sorry. I hate FIP. We have lost one kitten to that;
she was not symptommatic until after adoption, so she broke a lot of
hearts. When she went, her adoptive mother, foster mother, and myself
were blubbering by her side. And the vet staff; mustn't forget them. I
really really hate FIP. I hope your kitten comes out ok. Doesn't the vet
recommend you keep her isolated from the other kittens at this point? FIP
isn't that catchy, but prolonged exposure will do the trick.

Good luck to you.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

formerly known as 'cat arranger'
July 12th 04, 01:40 AM
TNR?

: Where are you located? As for the mother cat, hopefully it will be TNR.
That
: is the best thing you can do for ferals.
:
: --
: Panther TEK: Staying On Top Of All Your Computer Needs!
: www.members.cox.net/catprotector/panthertek
:
: Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
: www.catgalaxymedia.com
: "Wendy" > wrote in message
: ...
: >
: > "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
: > news:4a3Fc.41590$rh.24219@okepread02...
: > > I have heard that feral kittens are much easier to be amongst humans
: that
: > > the adults. You probably got them at a good time but I would ask a
: rescue
: > > group that deals with ferals for some tips. You said you moved them
but
: > was
: > > the mother cat around?
: > >
: > > --
[...]

: "Wendy" > wrote in message
: ...
: >
[...]

July 12th 04, 01:45 AM
dh?

:

"Wendy" > wrote in message
:
[...]

July 12th 04, 12:28 PM
Trap neuter release

"formerly known as 'cat arranger'" > wrote
in message news:p6lIc.6038$i_3.4473@fed1read04...

> [...]

> : > "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> : > news:4a3Fc.41590$rh.24219@okepread02...
> : > > I have heard that feral kittens are much easier to be amongst humans
> : that
> : > > the adults. You probably got them at a good time but I would ask a
> : rescue
> : > > group that deals with ferals for some tips. You said you moved them
> but
> : > was
> : > > the mother cat around?
> : > >
> : > > --
> : > No mom wasn't there when the dh snagged the kittens. I think they're
> going
> : > to try to trap mom and get her spayed so she doesn't do this again.
> : >
> : > I've got a call into the rescue group but haven't heard back from them

July 12th 04, 10:34 PM
"Wendy" > wrote in message
: Trap neuter release

Thanks.