PDA

View Full Version : Re: Chiq-chaq

August 29th 03, 12:44 AM
Tree Line > wrote:

> I'm not Dave but the word means real quick, like "on the double."
> It's Israeli slang so I am not sure if it's Hebrew or another language
> but it's spoken by Israelis, or used to be in modern times.

> So what's the story here?

There's a website from Israel called "Chiq-chaq". It's a "wiki" site,
which means that it allows users to modify (some of) the site's contents.
The word "wiki" comes from the Hawaiian word "wikiwiki", meaning "quick".
I've been investigating wiki sites because I might like to create one
for a project I'm working on, and among the links I came across was the
one for the Israeli Chiq-chaq site.

Joyce

David Yehudah
August 29th 03, 03:50 AM
Well, I guessed right for a change. I did a search for chik-chak, and at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0728601761/quartzhillschoolA/104-7011158-9547122
I ran across it as part of the title of a book on Hebrew grammar, and
they spelled it tsik-tsak = chik-chak. 'Ts' is an acceptable alternate
transliteration of 'tz' for the Hebrew letter tzadee.