PDA

View Full Version : Other options to Hill's C/D prescription diet

March 12th 05, 05:08 PM
My cat just went through surgery to unblock his urinary tract. They
sent him home with the Hill's C/D food and he does not like it. Does
anyone know of any other food that is similar to this C/D diet? I need
to try something else for him...does Iam's have a similar product out
there?

fatbak
March 13th 05, 11:46 PM
Waltham's/Royal Canin Urinary SO. It's a prescription food, available
through the vet only. My vet had to special order it but he said it's
the equivalent to Hill's Science Diet C/D. We get the canned stuff and I
don't know if it comes in a dry version. Of course with urinary issues,
you should consider feeding your cat only canned food for its water content.

My cat didn't care for the C/D either, but she loooves the Waltham's.

Hope this helps, and hope your kitty gets better.

Irene

wrote:
> My cat just went through surgery to unblock his urinary tract. They
> sent him home with the Hill's C/D food and he does not like it. Does
> anyone know of any other food that is similar to this C/D diet? I need
> to try something else for him...does Iam's have a similar product out
> there?

Mary
March 13th 05, 11:54 PM
"fatbak" > wrote in message
.. .
> Waltham's/Royal Canin Urinary SO. It's a prescription food, available
> through the vet only. My vet had to special order it but he said it's
> the equivalent to Hill's Science Diet C/D. We get the canned stuff and I
> don't know if it comes in a dry version. Of course with urinary issues,
> you should consider feeding your cat only canned food for its water
content.

> My cat didn't care for the C/D either, but she loooves the Waltham's.
>
> Hope this helps, and hope your kitty gets better.
>
> Irene

Finally!! I knew there had to be another out there. Thanks, Irene.

> wrote:
> > My cat just went through surgery to unblock his urinary tract. They
> > sent him home with the Hill's C/D food and he does not like it. Does
> > anyone know of any other food that is similar to this C/D diet? I need
> > to try something else for him...does Iam's have a similar product out
> > there?

Steve Crane
March 14th 05, 01:24 AM
There are several. All have been out for years.

Purina UR
Royal Canin SO
Eukanuba pH-S

March 14th 05, 01:32 AM
"Mary" > wrote:

>"fatbak" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Waltham's/Royal Canin Urinary SO. It's a prescription food, available
>> through the vet only. My vet had to special order it but he said it's
>> the equivalent to Hill's Science Diet C/D. We get the canned stuff and I
>> don't know if it comes in a dry version. Of course with urinary issues,
>> you should consider feeding your cat only canned food for its water
>content.
>>
>> My cat didn't care for the C/D either, but she loooves the Waltham's.
>>
>> Hope this helps, and hope your kitty gets better.
>>
>> Irene
>
>Finally!! I knew there had to be another out there. Thanks, Irene.

I think Walthams has a Hills equivalent for most of the different
prescription diets and my vet carries both lines. If I ever need to
feed a prescription food that at least gives me 2 choices if taste
becomes an issue.

-mhd

March 17th 05, 12:47 PM
My cat also had renal problems & also did not like Hills. But my vet
recommends dry food because it is much better for their teeth. But I
will try getting a dry equivalent of Walthams.

Lynn via CatKB.com
March 17th 05, 05:19 PM
Walthams/Royal Canin food is great. My cat absolutely loves it.

I think the benefits of dry food for a cat's teeth are actually minimal.
Most cats don't chew their food enough to benefit from the scraping action.
I'm surprised a vet would recommend dry food for a cat with renal issues.
IMHO, the increased water content of canned food is much better for cats,
particularly those with renal issues.

March 17th 05, 07:48 PM
wrote:

>But my vet recommends dry food because it is much better for their teeth.

Any vet who would say that about felines hasn't a clue.

-mhd