PDA

View Full Version : FIP and Chlamydiosis - diagnosing and exposing healthy cat

Mike
March 14th 05, 10:14 AM
I have a few strays that I want to bring inside but I don't want to
infect the cat I already have with any diseases. These strays do seem
to have an URI/ herpes virus that will be treated and they will be
tested for FeLV and FIV. I'm also concerned about FIP as well as
Chlamydiosis. Is there anyway to test or check for either of those two
diseases?

I'm worried that the doctor may misdiagnose them with just an URI when
it could be something worse. The strays are around 9 months old and
their sister died at around 4 months of age from either an URI or some
unknown disease as no tests were done on her. Her symptoms were: loss
of appetite, lethargy, shaking in 60 degree Fahrenheit weather, open
mouth breathing in 80 degrees weather, sneezing, chronic runny nose
(yellow), runny/watery eyes, and some sort of eye infection. I also
suspect she developed some neurological damage and she also stopped
growing (she was very small compared to her siblings). She was treated
with penicillin and an antihistamine but there was no response and she
eventually died.

One of the strays seems to be underdeveloped, as her teeth aren't
growing properly while her siblings are fine. She also has sneezing,
watery eyes, runny nose (clear), and an ulcer on the tongue. The one
male did have an eye infection but it's been cleared up. The other two
appear to be very healthy and only sneeze occasionally, but then so
does my inside cat. Based on all this info I can't decide if I should
just continue to keep these cats outside or if it's safe to bring them
in and expose them to my healthy 7 y/o cat. I'm so worried that
something will be overlooked, such as FIP and Chlamydiosis.

When they go to the vet, are there any tests that they should have
done other than the FeLV/FIV and a fecal test? What should be checked
out and treated before bringing them inside? Should they ever be
brought inside and exposed to my healthy cat?

BarB
March 14th 05, 02:31 PM
On 14 Mar 2005 02:14:46 -0800, (Mike) wrote:

>I have a few strays that I want to bring inside but I don't want to
>infect the cat I already have with any diseases. These strays do seem
>to have an URI/ herpes virus that will be treated and they will be
>tested for FeLV and FIV. I'm also concerned about FIP as well as
>Chlamydiosis. Is there anyway to test or check for either of those two
>diseases?
>
>I'm worried that the doctor may misdiagnose them with just an URI when
>it could be something worse. The strays are around 9 months old and
>their sister died at around 4 months of age from either an URI or some
>unknown disease as no tests were done on her. Her symptoms were: loss
>of appetite, lethargy, shaking in 60 degree Fahrenheit weather, open
>mouth breathing in 80 degrees weather, sneezing, chronic runny nose
>(yellow), runny/watery eyes, and some sort of eye infection. I also
>suspect she developed some neurological damage and she also stopped
>growing (she was very small compared to her siblings). She was treated
>with penicillin and an antihistamine but there was no response and she
>eventually died.
>
>One of the strays seems to be underdeveloped, as her teeth aren't
>growing properly while her siblings are fine. She also has sneezing,
>watery eyes, runny nose (clear), and an ulcer on the tongue. The one
>male did have an eye infection but it's been cleared up. The other two
>appear to be very healthy and only sneeze occasionally, but then so
>does my inside cat. Based on all this info I can't decide if I should
>just continue to keep these cats outside or if it's safe to bring them
>in and expose them to my healthy 7 y/o cat. I'm so worried that
>something will be overlooked, such as FIP and Chlamydiosis.
>
>When they go to the vet, are there any tests that they should have
>done other than the FeLV/FIV and a fecal test? What should be checked
>out and treated before bringing them inside? Should they ever be
>brought inside and exposed to my healthy cat?

There is no test for FIP. All that can be tested for when the cat is
alive, is the presence of antibodies to the disease. Many cats carry
the antibodies and are never sick. I had one kitten of a litter die
recently of FIP several months after it was adopted. My vet
recommended against testing the rest of the litter because it wasn't
going to tell us anything. They were healthy.

http://www.vetinfo.com/catinfds.html#Herpes virus or Chlamydiosis

Herpes virus (rhinotracheitis) and chlamydiosis (a bacterial
infection) are the most likely causes of (discharge from the eye and
sneezing). Since it is sometimes hard to tell them apart and since
secondary bacterial infections can occur with herpes virus
conjunctivitis most vets just treat with an antibiotic eye ointment
to be cautious. If there is a strong suspicion of chlamydiosis, oral
antibiotics may be prescribed as well. Most kittens require deworming
and it is a good idea to vaccinate for common diseases.

I wouldn't mix any cats with yours until they are all completely
clear of any symptoms for about ten days. Can you move them into a
separate room while you are treating them?

BarB