PDA

View Full Version : Bandit's Visit to the Vet

CatNipped
March 14th 05, 05:45 PM
First, my nerves are shot!!!

The vet said the burn was from the original burn (they discarded all the
heating pads, and they didn't use a heating pad for the surgery Wednesday).
She said it was not as deep, so it took a while for it to slough off the
skin and hair. It's not infected, but there is dead skin there so she put
her on Amoxicillin (sp?) and gave her more pain pills to give every 8 hours
instead of every 12 hours.

The burn actually extends further than you can see in the pictures - that is
just where the hair and skin and hair sloughed off - it's hard to tell
because the skin will look fine and then just a little while later you'll
look and it will be red (which makes it easier to understand why the vet
might have missed it when they examined her under anesthetic) - *AND* makes
me feel a little bit better about missing the first burn for so long.

I have to "lave" the burn with warm water 3 times a day for 5 minutes (I
bought a shampoo hose on the kitchen sink for this) to stimulate the blood
vessels underneath the burned area. Then I have to dry her and put
Silvadine on the burned area.

I got home, managed to toss the pain pill down her throat, gave her the
Amoxicillin (and had pink foam all over her, me, and my bedspread), then
tried to hold her down - *WITHOUT* touching the wound on her belly or the
burn on her back - for *5 MINUTES* while I hosed warm water on her back (do
you know how long 5 minutes can be??!). Then tried to dry her off as best I
could without touching any of her hurts.

Ohmygawd, I need a valium!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Mary
March 14th 05, 05:52 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> First, my nerves are shot!!!
>
> The vet said the burn was from the original burn (they discarded all the
> heating pads, and they didn't use a heating pad for the surgery
Wednesday).
> She said it was not as deep, so it took a while for it to slough off the
> skin and hair. It's not infected, but there is dead skin there so she put
> her on Amoxicillin (sp?) and gave her more pain pills to give every 8
hours
> instead of every 12 hours.
>
> The burn actually extends further than you can see in the pictures - that
is
> just where the hair and skin and hair sloughed off - it's hard to tell
> because the skin will look fine and then just a little while later you'll
> look and it will be red (which makes it easier to understand why the vet
> might have missed it when they examined her under anesthetic) - *AND*
makes
> me feel a little bit better about missing the first burn for so long.
>
> I have to "lave" the burn with warm water 3 times a day for 5 minutes (I
> bought a shampoo hose on the kitchen sink for this) to stimulate the blood
> vessels underneath the burned area. Then I have to dry her and put
> Silvadine on the burned area.
>
> I got home, managed to toss the pain pill down her throat, gave her the
> Amoxicillin (and had pink foam all over her, me, and my bedspread), then
> tried to hold her down - *WITHOUT* touching the wound on her belly or the
> burn on her back - for *5 MINUTES* while I hosed warm water on her back
(do
> you know how long 5 minutes can be??!). Then tried to dry her off as best
> could without touching any of her hurts.
>
> Ohmygawd, I need a valium!

Poor Bandit and poor you. I'm not sure I would return to that vet
when this is all over. I don't think I could ever trust them again.

CatNipped
March 14th 05, 05:58 PM
"Mary" > wrote in message
news:1110822732.44dfb28690b29ee18a54c78dc46f3cb6@t eranews...

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
> > First, my nerves are shot!!!
> >
> > The vet said the burn was from the original burn (they discarded all the
> > heating pads, and they didn't use a heating pad for the surgery
> Wednesday).
> > She said it was not as deep, so it took a while for it to slough off the
> > skin and hair. It's not infected, but there is dead skin there so she
put
> > her on Amoxicillin (sp?) and gave her more pain pills to give every 8
> hours
> > instead of every 12 hours.
> >
> > The burn actually extends further than you can see in the pictures -
that
> is
> > just where the hair and skin and hair sloughed off - it's hard to tell
> > because the skin will look fine and then just a little while later
you'll
> > look and it will be red (which makes it easier to understand why the vet
> > might have missed it when they examined her under anesthetic) - *AND*
> makes
> > me feel a little bit better about missing the first burn for so long.
> >
> > I have to "lave" the burn with warm water 3 times a day for 5 minutes (I
> > bought a shampoo hose on the kitchen sink for this) to stimulate the
blood
> > vessels underneath the burned area. Then I have to dry her and put
> > Silvadine on the burned area.
> >
> > I got home, managed to toss the pain pill down her throat, gave her the
> > Amoxicillin (and had pink foam all over her, me, and my bedspread), then
> > tried to hold her down - *WITHOUT* touching the wound on her belly or
the
> > burn on her back - for *5 MINUTES* while I hosed warm water on her back
> (do
> > you know how long 5 minutes can be??!). Then tried to dry her off as
best
> > could without touching any of her hurts.
> >
> > Ohmygawd, I need a valium!
> >

> Poor Bandit and poor you. I'm not sure I would return to that vet
> when this is all over. I don't think I could ever trust them again.

Definitely not. They may be fantastic vets whose tech just screwed up, but
you're right, the trust is just not there any more.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Mary
March 14th 05, 06:22 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote

> > Poor Bandit and poor you. I'm not sure I would return to that vet
> > when this is all over. I don't think I could ever trust them again.
>
> Definitely not. They may be fantastic vets whose tech just screwed up,
but
> you're right, the trust is just not there any more.

I'm curious, did they discontinue the use of the heating pads
altogether, when you say they discarded them? Or just get
all new?

Rhonda
March 15th 05, 02:47 AM
Hello CN,

Glad to hear that this burn is not as bad, but sorry you both have to go
through this treatment! Flushing a cat with water cannot be an easy
thing on either of you.

Was the vet horrified at this wound, too? Did she check Bandit all over
this time?

This is pretty nuts. I'm at least glad that Bandit will recover. You may
recover too, but it will probably take longer. :) Chocolate has helped
me in the past. Doctors/vets never seem to think of giving drugs to the
care-givers, too.

Keep us posted on how she's feeling.

Rhonda

CatNipped wrote:

> I got home, managed to toss the pain pill down her throat, gave her the
> Amoxicillin (and had pink foam all over her, me, and my bedspread), then
> tried to hold her down - *WITHOUT* touching the wound on her belly or the
> burn on her back - for *5 MINUTES* while I hosed warm water on her back (do
> you know how long 5 minutes can be??!). Then tried to dry her off as best I
> could without touching any of her hurts.

ElvisRocks
March 15th 05, 02:56 AM
Poor Bandit! Poor YOU! It's amazing you can do all this stuff to the cat!
My cat would be somewhere where I couldn't get anywhere near him.
Well, I hope you are both doing better soon, girlfriend!!! Carol