PDA

View Full Version : R 2 cats better than 1

David via CatKB.com
March 14th 05, 09:30 PM
Well, I adopted a new cat - he is too much..3 years old, lays in my arms
like melting marshmallows. But that's the problem - he's TOO loving!! Every
other cat I've ever had never sat on my lap - he whines and cries till he
can sit right on me. Seems to regard me as a human bean bag chair. His
owner died, so maybe that's the problem - the shock of finding him makes
him "clingy".

My other cat had no problem being alone, but when I get home, he's hiding
under the bed - seems really affected. My guess is that other owner was
elderly and home a lot - rarely was he left alone.

I thought if I got another cat or kitten it might help. How do I introduce
a new cat into the household? Bring the new one in and "let 'er rip"..or
keep the new cat separated, but "smellable"..

I have a dressing area/bathroom that would be perfect for this..Main cat's
stuff is in the large space, newest cats stuff would be in sequestered
area. How long should they be kept apart..

John Doe
March 14th 05, 10:15 PM
"David via CatKB.com" > wrote:

>I thought if I got another cat or kitten it might help. How do I
>introduce a new cat into the household? Bring the new one in and
>"let 'er rip"

I like taking a cat from outdoors or conceivably from a shelter. If
that allows for choosing, next time I would pick a cat which is close
as possible to the same age as the current cat. Of course there's no
guarantee, but being near the same age is more likely they will be
similarly active. When one wants to play and the other doesn't, it's
no fun for the one and annoying to the other.

> How long should they be kept apart..

If you have a problem with aggression, clip the aggressor's claws.

Others might have better advice. Good luck.

Karen
March 15th 05, 12:03 AM
in article , David via CatKB.com
at wrote on 3/14/05 3:30 PM:

> Well, I adopted a new cat - he is too much..3 years old, lays in my arms
> like melting marshmallows. But that's the problem - he's TOO loving!! Every
> other cat I've ever had never sat on my lap - he whines and cries till he
> can sit right on me. Seems to regard me as a human bean bag chair. His
> owner died, so maybe that's the problem - the shock of finding him makes
> him "clingy".
>
> My other cat had no problem being alone, but when I get home, he's hiding
> under the bed - seems really affected. My guess is that other owner was
> elderly and home a lot - rarely was he left alone.
>
> I thought if I got another cat or kitten it might help. How do I introduce
> a new cat into the household? Bring the new one in and "let 'er rip"..or
> keep the new cat separated, but "smellable"..
>
> I have a dressing area/bathroom that would be perfect for this..Main cat's
> stuff is in the large space, newest cats stuff would be in sequestered
> area. How long should they be kept apart..

Some cats are extremely social and do need another cat. I would get a
younger cat and keep it in a separate room with all it's own things and
switch them back and forth at first. then begin doing small bits of exposure
to each other. The time just depends on the cats. I have two now that took a
LONG time. But I had a cat in college that fell in love with my roomie's cat
in three days. It is personality dependant. Look for another love-a-muffin
type and it probably won't be long.

Monique Y. Mudama
March 15th 05, 12:23 AM
On 2005-03-15, Karen penned:

> Some cats are extremely social and do need another cat. I would get a
> younger cat and keep it in a separate room with all it's own things and
> switch them back and forth at first. then begin doing small bits of exposure
> to each other. The time just depends on the cats. I have two now that took a
> LONG time. But I had a cat in college that fell in love with my roomie's cat
> in three days. It is personality dependant. Look for another love-a-muffin
> type and it probably won't be long.

I'd add to this that just because a cat wants attention from people doesn't
necessarily mean it wants attention from other cats.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully