PDA

View Full Version : Ping: David (blind cat)

MaryL
March 15th 05, 03:07 PM
David,

Did you decide to adopt the blind cat? I *hope* so! Please update us.

MaryL

David via CatKB.com
March 15th 05, 04:26 PM
Hi..am still on the fence. In the meantime, I went to Petco last week to
see cats for adoption there, and found a real cutie..see
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/cat-health/4645/R-2-cats-better-than-1

But I still think about the blind cat. I really want to wait awhile for new
cat to settle in..He hasn't been eating well, finally had a bowel movement
last night. Still, I weighed him, and he weighed 11 lb. 11 oz.

A few years ago, I sponsored a child through Childreach, then the next week
I sponsored another...and then ANOTHER. But wound up having to give up the
other two - it got too expensive. Also hard to divide loyalty/attention
between so many kids.

I guess the same thing goes for cats!

I just see myself giving all the attention to the sighted cat, lying on the
bed playing with him...while the blind cat slinks around the floor like a
second class citizen. Also worried that they'll fight when I'm away. I did
read, though, that sighted cats are "kind" to blind cats - instinctive.

Also, blind cat was found on the street, in a yard, abandoned..She'll need
more attention...Sighted cat grew up in cozy comfort.

....but I still keep thinking about that blind cat!

David

MaryL
March 15th 05, 05:28 PM
"David via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
> Hi..am still on the fence. In the meantime, I went to Petco last week to
> see cats for adoption there, and found a real cutie..see
> http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/cat-health/4645/R-2-cats-better-than-1
>
> But I still think about the blind cat. I really want to wait awhile for
> new
> cat to settle in..He hasn't been eating well, finally had a bowel movement
> last night. Still, I weighed him, and he weighed 11 lb. 11 oz.
>
> A few years ago, I sponsored a child through Childreach, then the next
> week
> I sponsored another...and then ANOTHER. But wound up having to give up the
> other two - it got too expensive. Also hard to divide loyalty/attention
> between so many kids.
>
> I guess the same thing goes for cats!
>
> I just see myself giving all the attention to the sighted cat, lying on
> the
> bed playing with him...while the blind cat slinks around the floor like a
> second class citizen. Also worried that they'll fight when I'm away. I did
> read, though, that sighted cats are "kind" to blind cats - instinctive.
>
> Also, blind cat was found on the street, in a yard, abandoned..She'll need
> more attention...Sighted cat grew up in cozy comfort.
>
> ...but I still keep thinking about that blind cat!
>
> David
>
> --

David,

You are probably *not* going to find that your blind cat "slinks around the
floor like a second class citizen." Did you see the fairly lengthy message
about Duffy that I posted a few days ago? If not, I would be glad to email
it to you. I had many concerns about how to approach a blind cat before I
adopted Duffy, but he has been an absolute gem. He loves attention, and he
is just as likely to be on the bed or the sofa or a chair with me as Holly
is. In fact, I often refer to him as a little gymnast because he is so
agile and loves to climb. I will find him in the most unlikely places, and
he does it without knocking anything over or damaging anything. I just
can't say enough good things about him -- or about the joy he has brought
into my life. I do understand your hesitation in bringing different cats
into your life too quickly, but I hope you will give this one a chance. If
you do, it is *very* important to introduce the two cats *slowly and
carefully.* In fact, I have another long description of how I did that.
Just ask if you want me to email it (but be sure to provide a valid email
address). The email address attached to this message is valid except that
you first need to "take out the litter."

MaryL

Here are links to some pictures of Duffy:
Before adoption -- Duffy at the shelter:
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/476350/1636692/19233823.jpg
The transformation -- Duffy as he looks today:
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/476350/1916528/41680392.jpg
Duffy in the Christmas tree:
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/476350/1916528/76258004.jpg
Duffy starting down one of his climbing poles:
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/476350/1916528/35120773.jpg
Duffy shifting his hips to come down the pole:
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/476350/1916528/34609976.jpg
Duffy on the hutch -- "blindness can't stop me":
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/476350/1916528/26911933.jpg
Duffy "hanging out" over the edge of his scratching post:
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/476350/1916528/22854822.jpg
Duffy and Holly on the cat tree -- Duffy reaching down to Holly:
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/476350/1916528/24118497.jpg
Holly and Duffy playing together:
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/476350/1916528/22855042.jpg

KellyH
March 15th 05, 08:42 PM
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote

> You are probably *not* going to find that your blind cat "slinks around
> the floor like a second class citizen." Did you see the fairly lengthy
> message about Duffy that I posted a few days ago? If not, I would be glad
> to email it to you. I had many concerns about how to approach a blind cat
> before I adopted Duffy, but he has been an absolute gem. He loves
> attention, and he is just as likely to be on the bed or the sofa or a
> chair with me as Holly is. In fact, I often refer to him as a little
> gymnast because he is so agile and loves to climb. I will find him in the
> most unlikely places, and he does it without knocking anything over or
> damaging anything. I just can't say enough good things about him -- or
> about the joy he has brought into my life. I do understand your
> hesitation in bringing different cats into your life too quickly, but I
> hope you will give this one a chance. If you do, it is *very* important
> to introduce the two cats *slowly and carefully.* In fact, I have another
> long description of how I did that. Just ask if you want me to email it
> (but be sure to provide a valid email address). The email address
> attached to this message is valid except that you first need to "take out
> the litter."

We had a blind stray (had no eyes at all, probably like that since birth)
adopted from our shelter. He adjusted to the other cat in the house just
fine. He acts like a normal cat, you hardly notice he's blind. His new
owner reported that he found the litterbox with no problem and hopped up on
the bed to sleep the first night!

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

kitkat
March 16th 05, 01:15 AM
David via CatKB.com wrote:

> I just see myself giving all the attention to the sighted cat, lying on the
> bed playing with him...while the blind cat slinks around the floor like a
> second class citizen.

Well, that is entirely up to you, but I think it is fair to say that in
my household, blind & deaf cat gets MUCH more attention than sighted
cat. This could have something to do with the fact that blind & deaf cat
is a total lap cat lover and sighted cat is a total prissy brat. (I
still adore her, but sheesh!)

> Also worried that they'll fight when I'm away. I did
> read, though, that sighted cats are "kind" to blind cats - instinctive.

Sighted cat in this household is not "kind" to the blind & deaf cat. I
don't even think she realizes he can't see. And she hisses at him all
the time. However, as soon as blind & deaf cat tries to go after sighted
cat...sighted cat darts away so fast...leaving blind & deaf cat standing
there with a puzzled look as if to say "Uh...which way did she go?!"

> Also, blind cat was found on the street, in a yard, abandoned..She'll need
> more attention...Sighted cat grew up in cozy comfort.

Blind cat needs more attention...what a GREAT reason to adopt!!!!! :)

> ...but I still keep thinking about that blind cat!

No pressure...but...DO IT!
:)
Pam