PDA

View Full Version : Odd Cat habits

David via CatKB.com
March 16th 05, 05:31 PM
Hi,

My cat likes to lick my hair. When I'm lying in bed, he curls up against my
head and starts licking my hair - like he's grooming it. I've seen cats do
this to other cats, but this is the first interspecies grooming incident
I've heard of. What is the meaning of this? Is he being affectionate?
Possesive? Does he not like my hairstyle?

Also, my other cat liked to chase the beam of light from a
flashlight...this cat just smells the flashlight, and ignores the beam.

He also does not just sit down and eat a meal. He nibbles all day long, a
bite here, a bite there. Am going crazy trying to find food that he
likes..He goes for Whiskas, but turns his nose up at Wellness. He nibbles
at Fancy Feast...I think he likes foods with "juice", which is why Whiskas
works..

David

Karen
March 16th 05, 05:57 PM
Welcome to cat world. You thought EVERY cat was like furface, didn't you?
but no. It is not so. As individual as snowflakes in matters such as these.

"David via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My cat likes to lick my hair. When I'm lying in bed, he curls up against
my
> head and starts licking my hair - like he's grooming it. I've seen cats do
> this to other cats, but this is the first interspecies grooming incident
> I've heard of. What is the meaning of this? Is he being affectionate?
> Possesive? Does he not like my hairstyle?
>
> Also, my other cat liked to chase the beam of light from a
> flashlight...this cat just smells the flashlight, and ignores the beam.
>
> He also does not just sit down and eat a meal. He nibbles all day long, a
> bite here, a bite there. Am going crazy trying to find food that he
> likes..He goes for Whiskas, but turns his nose up at Wellness. He nibbles
> at Fancy Feast...I think he likes foods with "juice", which is why Whiskas
> works..
>
> David
>
> --

Sandra
March 16th 05, 07:42 PM
One of our cats will sit on the back of the sofa and groom my hair, using
paws and mouth- but only if my hair is wet from the shower, not if it is
dry!

--
Sandra

Nell
March 16th 05, 08:15 PM
David via CatKB.com wrote:
> My cat likes to lick my hair. When I'm lying in bed, he curls up against my
> head and starts licking my hair - like he's grooming it.

All my cats over the years have licked my hair . . . but, in my case,
ALWAYS and ONLY when it has product in it, particularly hairspray - and
most favoured is spray-gel in pump-action bottles. One cat, when he was
hungry, would actually cut my hair off, grinding bundles of it between
his teeth. It wasn't the hair he wanted, but the chemical in the
hairspray. (Needless to say the grinding sounded pretty loud since he
was never more than a few inches from my ears and I would put a stop to
it immediately - but not without a persistent fight from him, such was
the pleasure he got from the taste of the gel.)

Nell.

Vanessa Massey via CatKB.com
March 19th 05, 04:24 PM
Oh!! Welcome to the world of cats. My sisters cat loved long hair. Mine
particularly. When I would visit he would have to do a catch up session of
playing with my hair. And one of my cats would groom my sons hair when it
was wet.

John
March 19th 05, 05:15 PM
My calico Miss Prissy likes to scratch on glass window panes. I do not know
if it is the sound or the way it feels that she likes.

"Vanessa Massey via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
> Oh!! Welcome to the world of cats. My sisters cat loved long hair. Mine
> particularly. When I would visit he would have to do a catch up session of
> playing with my hair. And one of my cats would groom my sons hair when it
> was wet.
>
> --

Karen
March 19th 05, 06:05 PM
in article , John at
wrote on 3/19/05 11:15AM:

> My calico Miss Prissy likes to scratch on glass window panes. I do not know
> if it is the sound or the way it feels that she likes.
>
> "Vanessa Massey via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
>> Oh!! Welcome to the world of cats. My sisters cat loved long hair. Mine
>> particularly. When I would visit he would have to do a catch up session of
>> playing with my hair. And one of my cats would groom my sons hair when it
>> was wet.
>>
>> --

Does she like glossy magazine covers and linoleum too? Some of them really
love to paw those things two. Claws retracted. It's so cute.

John
March 19th 05, 11:49 PM
No magazines or linoleum but she does like the ceramic sink in the bathroom.
And she paws with claws out. Maybe she is finishing her claws to a razors
edge. Maybe I need to be worried of attacks.
"Karen" > wrote in message
> in article , John at
> wrote on 3/19/05 11:15AM:
>
>> My calico Miss Prissy likes to scratch on glass window panes. I do not
>> know
>> if it is the sound or the way it feels that she likes.
>>
>> "Vanessa Massey via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
>>> Oh!! Welcome to the world of cats. My sisters cat loved long hair. Mine
>>> particularly. When I would visit he would have to do a catch up session
>>> of
>>> playing with my hair. And one of my cats would groom my sons hair when
>>> it
>>> was wet.
>>>
>>> --
>>

> Does she like glossy magazine covers and linoleum too? Some of them really
> love to paw those things two. Claws retracted. It's so cute.

March 20th 05, 06:10 PM
He likes brussel sprouts and chocolate, and when I throw something for
him to chase, just as he nearly catches it, he runs in the other
direction!

Lesley Madigan
March 21st 05, 01:58 PM
wrote in message om>...
> He likes brussel sprouts and chocolate, and when I throw something for
> him to chase, just as he nearly catches it, he runs in the other
> direction!

Chocolate is not a good thing to feed a cat- it's poisonous for them-
not sure about the sprouts through!

Lesley

Slave to the Fabulous Furballs

Lesley Madigan