PDA

View Full Version : Re: Update: Howling Cat

Karen
March 17th 05, 07:52 PM
"Kelly" > wrote in message
> So Oscar moved into the new house last Friday. We plugged in the Feliway
> diffuser a couple hours before he got there. First we just had him in the
> basement, but he really seemed to want to check out the whole house, so we
> let him. I walked with him just to make sure he wasn't going to spray
> anything (recall he sprayed at the vet clinic a week after his neuter,
it's
> been 4 weeks now). Well he has transitioned beautifully without the use
of
> meds, just the Feliway diffuser. I'm not sure if it's the Feliway that is
> helping, or if it's the fact that his hormones have tapered off.... but he
> has not made a PEEP. No meowing or howling at all, and he is completely
> comfortable in the new place and acts like the place is his.... booting
> around the house, running and having a grand ol' time.
>
> The only problem we're having is that he doesn't like his sisal rope
> scratching post and prefers to use the carpet (which are all going to be
> replaced soon with new carpet). So I'm going to wrap his scratching post
> with carpet and see if that helps. It's a super huge one so he should
like
> to use it!!! If he starts scratching up the new carpets my fiancee is
> threatening to get him declawed but I say NO WAY, so I have to make sure
> he's using his post!!!
>
> Kelly

Get one of those big cheap oriental carpets they have at Shopko or Walmart
and toss it on the floor. It will protect the regular carpet and my mom's
cat goes at hers like mad (likes the horizontal thing) pulling it up, he is
so strong, and yet, after two years of this, you can see NO damage. He may
just like to scratch horizontally. See: http://tinyurl.com/5e3en

Gail
March 17th 05, 11:11 PM
He may be a horizontal scratcher instead of a vertical one. My cat is. I got
him the turbo scratcher which is placed on the floor. He loves it.
Gail
"Kelly" > wrote in message
> So Oscar moved into the new house last Friday. We plugged in the Feliway
> diffuser a couple hours before he got there. First we just had him in the
> basement, but he really seemed to want to check out the whole house, so we
> let him. I walked with him just to make sure he wasn't going to spray
> anything (recall he sprayed at the vet clinic a week after his neuter,
> it's been 4 weeks now). Well he has transitioned beautifully without the
> use of meds, just the Feliway diffuser. I'm not sure if it's the Feliway
> that is helping, or if it's the fact that his hormones have tapered
> off.... but he has not made a PEEP. No meowing or howling at all, and he
> is completely comfortable in the new place and acts like the place is
> his.... booting around the house, running and having a grand ol' time.
>
> The only problem we're having is that he doesn't like his sisal rope
> scratching post and prefers to use the carpet (which are all going to be
> replaced soon with new carpet). So I'm going to wrap his scratching post
> with carpet and see if that helps. It's a super huge one so he should
> like to use it!!! If he starts scratching up the new carpets my fiancee
> is threatening to get him declawed but I say NO WAY, so I have to make
> sure he's using his post!!!
>
> Kelly

Lesley Madigan
March 18th 05, 01:03 PM
"Gail" > wrote in message . net>...
> He may be a horizontal scratcher instead of a vertical one. My cat is. I got
> him the turbo scratcher which is placed on the floor. He loves it.
> Gail

What is a turbo scratcher? Can you get them in the UK? Redunzel uses
the vertical post to stand on and get to a bit of the back of the
chair that she simply LOVES to scratch! Sarrasine doesn't like it all
through she'll use it once in a blue moon (usually when she's just
been seriously told off!)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Gail
March 18th 05, 01:06 PM
Here is the link. It can be ordered on line
http://www.petvetsupply.com/ptokavt001.html
Gail
"Lesley Madigan" > wrote in message
m...
> "Gail" > wrote in message
> . net>...
>> He may be a horizontal scratcher instead of a vertical one. My cat is. I
>> got
>> him the turbo scratcher which is placed on the floor. He loves it.
>> Gail
>>

> What is a turbo scratcher? Can you get them in the UK? Redunzel uses
> the vertical post to stand on and get to a bit of the back of the
> chair that she simply LOVES to scratch! Sarrasine doesn't like it all
> through she'll use it once in a blue moon (usually when she's just
> been seriously told off!)
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Mary
March 18th 05, 05:36 PM
"Lesley Madigan" > wrote in message
m...
> "Gail" > wrote in message
. net>...
> > He may be a horizontal scratcher instead of a vertical one. My cat is. I
got
> > him the turbo scratcher which is placed on the floor. He loves it.
> > Gail
> >

> What is a turbo scratcher? Can you get them in the UK? Redunzel uses
> the vertical post to stand on and get to a bit of the back of the
> chair that she simply LOVES to scratch! Sarrasine doesn't like it all
> through she'll use it once in a blue moon (usually when she's just
> been seriously told off!)
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Lesley--Gail has answered about the turbo scratcher, but I
have to tell you about the Alpine Scratcher--it is the one thing
that stopped all scratching of furniture in our house.

http://www.petcarecentral.com/cospetprodsc.html

There is a dangly mouse inside the hole too! There is
something about the angle they love.