PDA

View Full Version : Noel's losing whiskers

Lynn via CatKB.com
March 21st 05, 03:13 PM
Hi all,
Looking for a little advice? Noel seems to be losing more whiskers than
usual. I know it is normal for them to lose the odd whisker but I?ve been
finding one or two stray whiskers around the house each day for the last
week or so. I?m a little concerned. He?s had a rough year with a recurring
UTI and suffered three blockages as a result. My vet and I finally got the
UTI under control and he?s been doing great. We were concerned about his
weight and put him on a calorie control diet and he?s lost two lbs since
Xmas. He looks good and is perky and active, but could the lost whiskers
have anything to do with the diet? He sees the vet once a month for
monitoring but I think I?ll take him in for a workup this week. Any ideas
about the mystery of the falling whiskers?
Lynn

Judy
March 22nd 05, 01:37 AM
"Lynn via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
> Looking for a little advice? Noel seems to be losing more whiskers than
> usual. I know it is normal for them to lose the odd whisker but I?ve been
> finding one or two stray whiskers around the house each day for the last
> week or so. I?m a little concerned. He?s had a rough year with a recurring
> UTI and suffered three blockages as a result. My vet and I finally got the
> UTI under control and he?s been doing great. We were concerned about his
> weight and put him on a calorie control diet and he?s lost two lbs since
> Xmas. He looks good and is perky and active, but could the lost whiskers
> have anything to do with the diet? He sees the vet once a month for
> monitoring but I think I?ll take him in for a workup this week. Any ideas
> about the mystery of the falling whiskers?
> Lynn

The bit of reading I've just done, it's suggested that whisker loss can
happen as a result of stress or as a reaction to antibiotics.

Ask your vet if he/she has any ideas about this.

Judy

Spot
March 22nd 05, 10:29 AM
Just out of curiosity do you have another cat? The reason I ask is
that...........

I have a cat who has the same thing occur. I was in a panic when I noticed
it the first time because she also had a leg amputated due to a fast growing
giant cell tumor. My first thoughts were something was wrong and possibly
cancer again.

After 3 days of constant worry and waiting for a vet appointment I found out
the culprit. It turns out my oldest chews her whiskers off. He's been
doing this since about 6 months after her amputation and he keeps the side
with the leg amputated trimmed back to about an inch. It's not like they
don't grow out and are shorter than the other side because of the leg loss
already but for some reason he trims these and she lets him do it. I don't
know if he thinks they are kitty dental floss or if he's concerned she'll
get herself stuck somewhere.

Celeste

"Lynn via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
> Looking for a little advice? Noel seems to be losing more whiskers than
> usual. I know it is normal for them to lose the odd whisker but I?ve been
> finding one or two stray whiskers around the house each day for the last
> week or so. I?m a little concerned. He?s had a rough year with a recurring
> UTI and suffered three blockages as a result. My vet and I finally got the
> UTI under control and he?s been doing great. We were concerned about his
> weight and put him on a calorie control diet and he?s lost two lbs since
> Xmas. He looks good and is perky and active, but could the lost whiskers
> have anything to do with the diet? He sees the vet once a month for
> monitoring but I think I?ll take him in for a workup this week. Any ideas
> about the mystery of the falling whiskers?
> Lynn
>
> --

-L.
March 23rd 05, 12:57 AM
Lynn via CatKB.com wrote:
> Hi all,
> Looking for a little advice? Noel seems to be losing more whiskers
than
> usual. I know it is normal for them to lose the odd whisker but I?ve
been
> finding one or two stray whiskers around the house each day for the
last
> week or so.

Some cats shed whiskers more frequently during change of seasons. I
wouldn't worry too much about it unless is becomes excessive.

-L.