PDA

View Full Version : Re: For Bandit's Sake

Karen
March 21st 05, 09:49 PM
I would sure like to know what the actual name of this product is.

"Brandy Alexandre" > wrote in message
news:1111441139.aeb237134b47bfe331cccb707a7645fa@t eranews...
> Just an FYI that I had to email a question to Kami's vet, and as an
> aside I mentioned what happened to Bandit and look out. She said they
> use warm water circulating blankets for their animals, she had heard
> about a burn case with the bags (Bandit?) and thanked me for the heads-
> up.
>
> --
> Brandy AlexandreŽ
> http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx
> Well, would you?

KellyH
March 21st 05, 09:59 PM
"Karen" > wrote in message
>I would sure like to know what the actual name of this product is.

Me too. I want to let my vet and the shelter know so we don't buy it.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

CatNipped
March 21st 05, 11:45 PM
"Brandy Alexandre" > wrote in message
news:1111441139.aeb237134b47bfe331cccb707a7645fa@t eranews...
> Just an FYI that I had to email a question to Kami's vet, and as an
> aside I mentioned what happened to Bandit and look out. She said they
> use warm water circulating blankets for their animals, she had heard
> about a burn case with the bags (Bandit?) and thanked me for the heads-
> up.

I just talked to the vet again as a result of this post, so here's the
info...

These were rice filled bags that an animal surgery clinic made and had given
the vet, recommending them for surgical procedures. They were not
electrical, they were just bags that were lined and the lining filled with
rice. The bags were heated either in the microwave or with the water
circulating blankets before use.

The case your vet heard of *was* probably Bandit since the vet said she
informed every agency and group they are associated with about the accident.

The vet has, obviously, thrown them all out and will use only the warm water
circulating blankets instead.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> --
> Brandy AlexandreŽ
> http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx
> Well, would you?

Elizabeth Blake
March 21st 05, 11:55 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> I just talked to the vet again as a result of this post, so here's the
> info...
>
> These were rice filled bags that an animal surgery clinic made and had
given
> the vet, recommending them for surgical procedures. They were not
> electrical, they were just bags that were lined and the lining filled with
> rice. The bags were heated either in the microwave or with the water
> circulating blankets before use.

I've been following Bandit's story and was also curious about those heating
bags. I just did a quick Google search, and it looks like Bandit's case is
not unique. This site has a picture of a burned cat from January 2004:
http://www.vasg.org/supplemental_heat.htm

--
Liz

CatNipped
March 22nd 05, 12:01 AM
"Elizabeth Blake" > wrote in message
> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
> > I just talked to the vet again as a result of this post, so here's the
> > info...
> >
> > These were rice filled bags that an animal surgery clinic made and had
> given
> > the vet, recommending them for surgical procedures. They were not
> > electrical, they were just bags that were lined and the lining filled
with
> > rice. The bags were heated either in the microwave or with the water
> > circulating blankets before use.
>
> I've been following Bandit's story and was also curious about those
heating
> bags. I just did a quick Google search, and it looks like Bandit's case
is
> not unique. This site has a picture of a burned cat from January 2004:
> http://www.vasg.org/supplemental_heat.htm
>
> --
> Liz

Wow, that does look exactly like what happened to Bandit. I wish there were
a way to get this type of information more widely circulated among vets - it
could save another animal from this horror.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Monique Y. Mudama
March 22nd 05, 12:07 AM
On 2005-03-21, CatNipped penned:

> I just talked to the vet again as a result of this post, so here's the
> info...
>
> These were rice filled bags that an animal surgery clinic made and had given
> the vet, recommending them for surgical procedures. They were not
> electrical, they were just bags that were lined and the lining filled with
> rice. The bags were heated either in the microwave or with the water
> circulating blankets before use.
>
> The case your vet heard of *was* probably Bandit since the vet said she
> informed every agency and group they are associated with about the accident.
>
> The vet has, obviously, thrown them all out and will use only the warm water
> circulating blankets instead.

Well, at a friend's recommendation, I filled a tightly-woven sock with rice
and microwave it for back pain or just for something to keep me warm. It can
feel lukewarm to the touch, yet if I leave it in one place for more than a few
seconds, it can be too much. Not sure if this really relates, but I thought
I'd chime in.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

MaryL
March 22nd 05, 12:18 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "Brandy Alexandre" > wrote in message
> news:1111441139.aeb237134b47bfe331cccb707a7645fa@t eranews...
>> Just an FYI that I had to email a question to Kami's vet, and as an
>> aside I mentioned what happened to Bandit and look out. She said they
>> use warm water circulating blankets for their animals, she had heard
>> about a burn case with the bags (Bandit?) and thanked me for the heads-
>> up.
>
> I just talked to the vet again as a result of this post, so here's the
> info...
>
> These were rice filled bags that an animal surgery clinic made and had
> given
> the vet, recommending them for surgical procedures. They were not
> electrical, they were just bags that were lined and the lining filled with
> rice. The bags were heated either in the microwave or with the water
> circulating blankets before use.
>
> The case your vet heard of *was* probably Bandit since the vet said she
> informed every agency and group they are associated with about the
> accident.
>
> The vet has, obviously, thrown them all out and will use only the warm
> water
> circulating blankets instead.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

That's terrible. It sounds like someone working at the vet clinic did not
follow instructions. Those rice-filled bags are often used on people for
sore necks, stiff backs, etc. -- but they are only supposed to be left in
the microwave for a couple of minutes, just enough to get warm (not hot).
It's a good thing they threw the bags out, but I also think more care should
have been used in microwaving and using them.

Good luck to you and bandit!

MaryL

MaryL
March 22nd 05, 12:20 AM
"Monique Y. Mudama" > wrote in message
> On 2005-03-21, CatNipped penned:
>>
>> I just talked to the vet again as a result of this post, so here's the
>> info...
>>
>> These were rice filled bags that an animal surgery clinic made and had
>> given
>> the vet, recommending them for surgical procedures. They were not
>> electrical, they were just bags that were lined and the lining filled
>> with
>> rice. The bags were heated either in the microwave or with the water
>> circulating blankets before use.
>>
>> The case your vet heard of *was* probably Bandit since the vet said she
>> informed every agency and group they are associated with about the
>> accident.
>>
>> The vet has, obviously, thrown them all out and will use only the warm
>> water
>> circulating blankets instead.
>>

> Well, at a friend's recommendation, I filled a tightly-woven sock with
> rice
> and microwave it for back pain or just for something to keep me warm. It
> can
> feel lukewarm to the touch, yet if I leave it in one place for more than a
> few
> seconds, it can be too much. Not sure if this really relates, but I
> thought
> I'd chime in.
>
> --
> monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully
>
> pictures: http://www.bounceswoosh.org/rpca

That's the reason these bags are not recommended for anyone who cannot
adjust the position, such as infants or the elderly -- and now, obviously,
our feline friends.

MaryL

Mary
March 22nd 05, 12:41 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote

> I just talked to the vet again as a result of this post, so here's the
> info...
>
> These were rice filled bags that an animal surgery clinic made and had
given
> the vet, recommending them for surgical procedures. They were not
> electrical, they were just bags that were lined and the lining filled with
> rice. The bags were heated either in the microwave or with the water
> circulating blankets before use.

I just KNEW there was a microwave involved here. It is too easy
to leave things in too long, and not think about how thin cats' skin is.
Grr.

How is Bandit today?

Karen
March 22nd 05, 12:57 AM
in article , CatNipped at
wrote on 3/21/05 6:01 PM:

> "Elizabeth Blake" > wrote in message
>> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>>> I just talked to the vet again as a result of this post, so here's the
>>> info...
>>>
>>> These were rice filled bags that an animal surgery clinic made and had
>> given
>>> the vet, recommending them for surgical procedures. They were not
>>> electrical, they were just bags that were lined and the lining filled
> with
>>> rice. The bags were heated either in the microwave or with the water
>>> circulating blankets before use.
>>
>> I've been following Bandit's story and was also curious about those
> heating
>> bags. I just did a quick Google search, and it looks like Bandit's case
> is
>> not unique. This site has a picture of a burned cat from January 2004:
>> http://www.vasg.org/supplemental_heat.htm
>>
>> --
>> Liz
>
> Wow, that does look exactly like what happened to Bandit. I wish there were
> a way to get this type of information more widely circulated among vets - it
> could save another animal from this horror.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Well, you might post to alt.med.veterinary (although it seems like poopy
woozard has taken that over).

CatNipped
March 22nd 05, 01:06 AM
"Mary" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote
>
> > I just talked to the vet again as a result of this post, so here's the
> > info...
> >
> > These were rice filled bags that an animal surgery clinic made and had
> given
> > the vet, recommending them for surgical procedures. They were not
> > electrical, they were just bags that were lined and the lining filled
with
> > rice. The bags were heated either in the microwave or with the water
> > circulating blankets before use.
>
> I just KNEW there was a microwave involved here. It is too easy
> to leave things in too long, and not think about how thin cats' skin is.
> Grr.
> >

> How is Bandit today?

She is doing *MUCH* better. She's even being a bit playful even though she
hasn't had any pain meds since 6:30AM (I'm going to wait until bedtime to
give her another dose since she doesn't seem in any pain right now - I want
to start weaning her off of them.

It is *AMAZING* the recuperative powers cats have - the would on her belly
is almost invisible and it's been less than 2 weeks since that first
surgery!!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Karen
March 22nd 05, 01:34 AM
in article , CatNipped at
wrote on 3/21/05 7:06 PM:

> "Mary" > wrote in message
>>
>> "CatNipped" > wrote
>>
>>> I just talked to the vet again as a result of this post, so here's the
>>> info...
>>>
>>> These were rice filled bags that an animal surgery clinic made and had
>> given
>>> the vet, recommending them for surgical procedures. They were not
>>> electrical, they were just bags that were lined and the lining filled
> with
>>> rice. The bags were heated either in the microwave or with the water
>>> circulating blankets before use.
>>
>> I just KNEW there was a microwave involved here. It is too easy
>> to leave things in too long, and not think about how thin cats' skin is.
>> Grr.
>>>

>> How is Bandit today?
>
> She is doing *MUCH* better. She's even being a bit playful even though she
> hasn't had any pain meds since 6:30AM (I'm going to wait until bedtime to
> give her another dose since she doesn't seem in any pain right now - I want
> to start weaning her off of them.
>
> It is *AMAZING* the recuperative powers cats have - the would on her belly
> is almost invisible and it's been less than 2 weeks since that first
> surgery!!!
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

That's terrific!

CatNipped
March 22nd 05, 03:36 PM
"Nomen Nescio" ]> wrote in message

melizabeth
March 22nd 05, 05:17 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "Mary" > wrote in message
> >
> > "CatNipped" > wrote
> >
> > > I just talked to the vet again as a result of this post, so here's the
> > > info...
> > >
> > > These were rice filled bags that an animal surgery clinic made and had
> > given
> > > the vet, recommending them for surgical procedures. They were not
> > > electrical, they were just bags that were lined and the lining filled
> with
> > > rice. The bags were heated either in the microwave or with the water
> > > circulating blankets before use.
> >
> > I just KNEW there was a microwave involved here. It is too easy
> > to leave things in too long, and not think about how thin cats' skin is.
> > Grr.
> > >

> > How is Bandit today?
>
> She is doing *MUCH* better. She's even being a bit playful even though
she
> hasn't had any pain meds since 6:30AM (I'm going to wait until bedtime to
> give her another dose since she doesn't seem in any pain right now - I
want
> to start weaning her off of them.
>
> It is *AMAZING* the recuperative powers cats have - the would on her belly
> is almost invisible and it's been less than 2 weeks since that first
> surgery!!!
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

that is great! Is her hair starting to grow back?

CatNipped
March 22nd 05, 06:17 PM
"melizabeth" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> "Mary" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > "CatNipped" > wrote

>> > given
>> with
>> >
>> > I just KNEW there was a microwave involved here. It is too easy
>> > to leave things in too long, and not think about how thin cats' skin
>> > is.
>> > Grr.
>> > >

>> > How is Bandit today?
>>
>> She is doing *MUCH* better. She's even being a bit playful even though
> she
>> hasn't had any pain meds since 6:30AM (I'm going to wait until bedtime to
>> give her another dose since she doesn't seem in any pain right now - I
> want
>> to start weaning her off of them.
>>
>> It is *AMAZING* the recuperative powers cats have - the would on her
>> belly
>> is almost invisible and it's been less than 2 weeks since that first
>> surgery!!!
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>
> that is great! Is her hair starting to grow back?

Yes, she look like she has a very close-shaved crew-cut where she was
shaved.

Hugs,

CatNipped