PDA

View Full Version : Picking a cat / fostering a cat

David via CatKB.com
March 24th 05, 03:40 AM
Hi,

Well, my last cat is now under observation at the adoption agency's
vetrinarian...He was very loveable and mushy - just purred and sat on my
lap, totally adorable.

Except he didn't eat. Best I could figure out was that his former owner
died, so he/she was elderly - kept him company and fed him goodies all day
(his papers said "grossly obese" from animal rescue).

I got a call from the vet today - the doctor left a message that it was
most likely liver disease. The representative from the adoption agency said
"Of course it was liver disease, that's what happens when cats don't
eat....

...It's sort of a chicken and egg thing - is the cat not eating because of
liver disease, or does he have liver disease because he's not eating.

In any event, stopped by another pet store, another agency has a set-up
there..This time I'm just fostering a cat till Friday..or longer. But he is
DEFINITELY going back! He's gorgeous, eats up a storm...Except when he lies
on the bed if you go to pet him, he hisses and scratches. But he loves to
be petted when he's walking around...Once he lies down - watch out!!!!!

No the kind of cat I'm looking for..I like the ones that like to cuddle..

So, when I'm looking around at shelters or adoption centers..What are the
ten warning signs that something is wrong behavior and health wise??

In the meantime, fostering is a nice way to get a cat into the house once
again..even if it's not a perfect match. There's no long term commitement
required...and if it works out, you can keep the cat..

Cathy Friedmann
March 24th 05, 03:43 AM
"David via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Well, my last cat is now under observation at the adoption agency's
> vetrinarian...He was very loveable and mushy - just purred and sat on my
> lap, totally adorable.
>
> Except he didn't eat. Best I could figure out was that his former owner
> died, so he/she was elderly - kept him company and fed him goodies all day
> (his papers said "grossly obese" from animal rescue).
>
> I got a call from the vet today - the doctor left a message that it was
> most likely liver disease. The representative from the adoption agency
said
> "Of course it was liver disease, that's what happens when cats don't
> eat....
>
> ..It's sort of a chicken and egg thing - is the cat not eating because of
> liver disease, or does he have liver disease because he's not eating.

Ummm... are you having him treated for his (what i assume is fatty) liver
disease, or have you written this cat off?

> In any event, stopped by another pet store, another agency has a set-up
> there..This time I'm just fostering a cat till Friday..or longer. But he
is
> DEFINITELY going back! He's gorgeous, eats up a storm...Except when he
lies
> on the bed if you go to pet him, he hisses and scratches. But he loves to
> be petted when he's walking around...Once he lies down - watch out!!!!!
>
> No the kind of cat I'm looking for..I like the ones that like to cuddle..

Okay, I'm sort of "losing it" at this point...

> So, when I'm looking around at shelters or adoption centers..What are the
> ten warning signs that something is wrong behavior and health wise??
>
> In the meantime, fostering is a nice way to get a cat into the house once
> again..even if it's not a perfect match. There's no long term commitement
> required...and if it works out, you can keep the cat..

Is it me, or are you extraordinarily picky, & treating the adoption of a cat
like the purchase of a TV?? IMO, based on this post, you probably shouldn't
adopt a cat.

Cathy

> --

KellyH
March 24th 05, 03:46 AM
"David via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Well, my last cat is now under observation at the adoption agency's
> vetrinarian...He was very loveable and mushy - just purred and sat on my
> lap, totally adorable.
>
> Except he didn't eat. Best I could figure out was that his former owner
> died, so he/she was elderly - kept him company and fed him goodies all day
> (his papers said "grossly obese" from animal rescue).
>
> I got a call from the vet today - the doctor left a message that it was
> most likely liver disease. The representative from the adoption agency
> said
> "Of course it was liver disease, that's what happens when cats don't
> eat....
>
> ..It's sort of a chicken and egg thing - is the cat not eating because of
> liver disease, or does he have liver disease because he's not eating.

<snip>

So, are you giving up on this cat?
He got liver disease because he didn't eat. I think I posted that when you
first asked about him not eating, and suggested that you get him to eat
something.
He can recover from the fatty liver disease. The vet will probably put in a
feeding tube if he doesn't start eating on his own. He will need to be fed
through that until he starts eating again. We had a cat at the shelter that
went into fatty liver disease because she stopped eating. She made a full
recovery.
Please don't give up on him.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Mary
March 24th 05, 03:55 AM
"KellyH" > wrote in message
> "David via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Well, my last cat is now under observation at the adoption agency's
> > vetrinarian...He was very loveable and mushy - just purred and sat on my
> > lap, totally adorable.
> >
> > Except he didn't eat. Best I could figure out was that his former owner
> > died, so he/she was elderly - kept him company and fed him goodies all
day
> > (his papers said "grossly obese" from animal rescue).
> >
> > I got a call from the vet today - the doctor left a message that it was
> > most likely liver disease. The representative from the adoption agency
> > said
> > "Of course it was liver disease, that's what happens when cats don't
> > eat....
> >
> > ..It's sort of a chicken and egg thing - is the cat not eating because
of
> > liver disease, or does he have liver disease because he's not eating.
>
> <snip>
>
> So, are you giving up on this cat?
> He got liver disease because he didn't eat. I think I posted that when
you
> first asked about him not eating, and suggested that you get him to eat
> something.
> He can recover from the fatty liver disease. The vet will probably put in
> feeding tube if he doesn't start eating on his own. He will need to be
fed
> through that until he starts eating again. We had a cat at the shelter
that
> went into fatty liver disease because she stopped eating. She made a full
> recovery.
> Please don't give up on him.
>
> --

I suspected from his past posts that for David cats are kind of like
cuddly "things." He was out looking for another cat just a day or
two after his latest died. I didn't really get that he had a real
emotional connection to that cat, though he clearly took it to
the vet and tried to care for it. I believe Phil thought it was euthanized
needlessly--or rather because David did not want to spend the money.
This is why I have not bothered with his posts since the cat died.
(I'm not saying David is a bad guy--hell some men love their
girlfriends less than he probably loves his cats--but there's
just something off here that I can't relate to.)

Karen
March 24th 05, 04:14 AM
in article , Cathy Friedmann at
wrote on 3/23/05 9:43 PM:

> "David via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Well, my last cat is now under observation at the adoption agency's
>> vetrinarian...He was very loveable and mushy - just purred and sat on my
>> lap, totally adorable.
>>
>> Except he didn't eat. Best I could figure out was that his former owner
>> died, so he/she was elderly - kept him company and fed him goodies all day
>> (his papers said "grossly obese" from animal rescue).
>>
>> I got a call from the vet today - the doctor left a message that it was
>> most likely liver disease. The representative from the adoption agency
> said
>> "Of course it was liver disease, that's what happens when cats don't
>> eat....
>>
>> ..It's sort of a chicken and egg thing - is the cat not eating because of
>> liver disease, or does he have liver disease because he's not eating.
>
> Ummm... are you having him treated for his (what i assume is fatty) liver
> disease, or have you written this cat off?
>
>> In any event, stopped by another pet store, another agency has a set-up
>> there..This time I'm just fostering a cat till Friday..or longer. But he
> is
>> DEFINITELY going back! He's gorgeous, eats up a storm...Except when he
> lies
>> on the bed if you go to pet him, he hisses and scratches. But he loves to
>> be petted when he's walking around...Once he lies down - watch out!!!!!
>>
>> No the kind of cat I'm looking for..I like the ones that like to cuddle..
>
> Okay, I'm sort of "losing it" at this point...
>
>> So, when I'm looking around at shelters or adoption centers..What are the
>> ten warning signs that something is wrong behavior and health wise??
>>
>> In the meantime, fostering is a nice way to get a cat into the house once
>> again..even if it's not a perfect match. There's no long term commitement
>> required...and if it works out, you can keep the cat..
>
> Is it me, or are you extraordinarily picky, & treating the adoption of a cat
> like the purchase of a TV?? IMO, based on this post, you probably shouldn't
> adopt a cat.
>
> Cathy

Hmmm. Same here. I think David needs to find a nice stuffed toy :( Geez.
Hepadic Lipidosis is not good, but it is treatable. David is apparently not
up for putting any effort in. Which does not bode well for any cat coming to
live with him because they are LIVING BEINGS that may get ILL. Yeesh.

Rhonda
March 24th 05, 04:48 AM
David,

I hope you don't abandon this cat. It already had one trauma with the
former owner's death, you leaving it too may put it over the edge.

When we adopt a cat, we take it for better or worse. This cat needs
someone to show a firm commitment and get it through the rough spots. He
must really be grieving. I hope you are up for honoring your commitment.

Let us know how he's doing and when you can get him back. He sounds like
a total love.

Rhonda

David via CatKB.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Well, my last cat is now under observation at the adoption agency's
> vetrinarian...He was very loveable and mushy - just purred and sat on my
> lap, totally adorable.

David via CatKB.com
March 24th 05, 02:50 PM
It might be fatty liver disease from not eating, or it could be liver
disease that caused the cat not to eat. Either way, the cat was not eating
and had to be treated, and the adoption organization requested that I use
their vet.

My last cat was 100% problem free for 13 years... I loved my last cat, and
going to the shelter right after made me feel better. I would go every once
in a while when she was living, just to play with the dogs and cats.

I did pay $450 to the emergency vet this past weekend, so I don't think
that's a sign of giving up or not caring. I just do not have any experience
with diseases, biopsies, ultrasounds, bills, etc.

The cat was fine when I first adopted him...but if he is not happy in my
home and has stopped eating..why force things? Maybe he needs to be with a
senior citizen who can pet and play with him all day - which is probably
the situation he was in before.

David via CatKB.com
March 24th 05, 03:11 PM
RE: euthanizing the last cat..

Two vets recommended euthanizing my last cat. Surgery was not an option -
she was not strong enough and her weight was too low. I know that there are
lots of miracle stories on this site...But that's what they are - miracle
stories. I did not want to run science experiments on my cat.

A human being can understand "experimental treatment"...a cat cannot.

KellyH
March 24th 05, 03:37 PM
"David via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
> RE: Fostering a cat
>
> I don't see what there is wrong about fostering a cat.

Who said there was anything wrong with fostering? I've fostered many cats
and kittens. I had to stop a few months ago and I miss it terribly. Well,
actually I still have one foster, but she's integrated in with the rest of
the cats.

> Fostering a cat helps out the adoption agency. If the cat at the vet
> recovers, he still did not adjust to living in my apartment and he
> shouldn't come back - he'll just stop eating again. Maybe fostering cats
> would be a good idea - they certainly need the help. What is wrong with
> that?

How do you know he will stop eating again? Did he seem bothered at your
house?

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net
"Wake up, and smell the cat food" -TMBG

David via CatKB.com
March 24th 05, 03:39 PM
RE: Fostering a cat

I don't see what there is wrong about fostering a cat.

Fostering a cat helps out the adoption agency. If the cat at the vet
recovers, he still did not adjust to living in my apartment and he
shouldn't come back - he'll just stop eating again. Maybe fostering cats
would be a good idea - they certainly need the help. What is wrong with
that?

kitkat
March 24th 05, 03:43 PM
David via CatKB.com wrote:
> RE: Fostering a cat
>
> I don't see what there is wrong about fostering a cat.
>
> Fostering a cat helps out the adoption agency. If the cat at the vet
> recovers, he still did not adjust to living in my apartment and he
> shouldn't come back - he'll just stop eating again. Maybe fostering cats
> would be a good idea - they certainly need the help. What is wrong with
> that?

There is nothing wrong with fostering cats. However, you have no idea
what will happen with the other cat if he returns to your apartment. It
sounds like he stopped eating because he was traumatized over the death
of his owner. Once he gets treated and starts eating again, he may do
just fine with you again.

Monique Y. Mudama
March 24th 05, 04:01 PM
On 2005-03-24, David via CatKB.com penned:
> RE: Fostering a cat
>
> I don't see what there is wrong about fostering a cat.
>
> Fostering a cat helps out the adoption agency. If the cat at the vet
> recovers, he still did not adjust to living in my apartment and he
> shouldn't come back - he'll just stop eating again. Maybe fostering cats
> would be a good idea - they certainly need the help. What is wrong with
> that?

I don't know how things work in your area, but just as a heads-up, fostering,
at least through my local shelter, involves a *lot* of training and a house
inspection (required by law, I think). My shelter doesn't foster out healthy,
easily-adoptable cats, either, as it would take them out of the environment
(the shelter) where they are most likely to get adopted. So fostering
typically entails giving a home to a cat who is somehow troubled, either too
young to survive on its own (in which case we're talking about feedings every
two hours), or recovering from some illness or injury, or one who has
behavioral issues that have prevented it from finding an owner, so they need
someone to socialize it for a while. Special-needs cats who need a lot of
time and attention. I don't recall how the cost distribution works for food,
health care, etc., but I'm sure that varies by shelter. Fostering is more
than just taking a healthy cat home for a few weeks and playing with it.

However, the shelter I'm talking about doesn't euthanize pets that are even
remotely adoptable. Kill shelters may be more receptive to fostering healthy
cats.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

David via CatKB.com
March 24th 05, 04:03 PM
yes, yes..that was the problem. He was fine for the first few days...Then
he just stopped eating....He is a HEAVY cuddler- went right for my lap
every time I sat down..I've never seen a cat like that - he just lay down
like a warm mink coat...So that is the problem, I think - he needs a lot of
attention and can't be left home all day alone.

Maybe get another cat to keep him company?

David via CatKB.com
March 24th 05, 04:14 PM
I'm aware of that - this is a little more simple, it's just space related.
The adoption agency only has so much room at the pet store, they can't keep
pets in certain areas overnight. Weekends are the big adoption time (they
get really busy, which is nice)..So they really just need people to keep
the cats during the week when it's slow.

The cats have all been pre-screened, vaccinated, wormed, etc. for
adoption...So there's not as great a chance of behavioral/health issues..It
also lets people "try out" a cat and if it doesn't work out they can return
it. If it does work, then they can drop off a donation check.

Not a bad system, I think.

Phil P.
March 24th 05, 04:48 PM

It takes *time* to build a trusting relationship you self-centered *******.

> So, when I'm looking around at shelters or adoption centers..What are the
> ten warning signs that something is wrong behavior and health wise??

> In the meantime, fostering is a nice way to get a cat into the house once
> again..even if it's not a perfect match. There's no long term commitement
> required...and if it works out, you can keep the cat..

...and if it doesn't work out fast enough or the cat doesn't live up to your
expectations, you have her killed or returned like defective merchandise.

If you really want to help the cats of this world, STAY THE **** AWAY FROM
THEM and LEAVE THEM ALONE.

Does anyone have any information on this character? I want to make sure
every shelter in 100 mile radius of him puts him on their DNA list.

Phil P.
March 24th 05, 04:49 PM
"Mary" > wrote in message

> "KellyH" > wrote in message
> > "David via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Well, my last cat is now under observation at the adoption agency's
> > > vetrinarian...He was very loveable and mushy - just purred and sat on
my
> > > lap, totally adorable.
> > >
> > > Except he didn't eat. Best I could figure out was that his former
owner
> > > died, so he/she was elderly - kept him company and fed him goodies all
> day
> > > (his papers said "grossly obese" from animal rescue).
> > >
> > > I got a call from the vet today - the doctor left a message that it
was
> > > most likely liver disease. The representative from the adoption agency
> > > said
> > > "Of course it was liver disease, that's what happens when cats don't
> > > eat....
> > >
> > > ..It's sort of a chicken and egg thing - is the cat not eating because
> of
> > > liver disease, or does he have liver disease because he's not eating.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > So, are you giving up on this cat?
> > He got liver disease because he didn't eat. I think I posted that when
> you
> > first asked about him not eating, and suggested that you get him to eat
> > something.
> > He can recover from the fatty liver disease. The vet will probably put
in
> > feeding tube if he doesn't start eating on his own. He will need to be
> fed
> > through that until he starts eating again. We had a cat at the shelter
> that
> > went into fatty liver disease because she stopped eating. She made a
full
> > recovery.
> > Please don't give up on him.
> >
> > --
>
> I suspected from his past posts that for David cats are kind of like
> cuddly "things." He was out looking for another cat just a day or
> two after his latest died. I didn't really get that he had a real
> emotional connection to that cat, though he clearly took it to
> the vet and tried to care for it. I believe Phil thought it was euthanized
> needlessly--or rather because David did not want to spend the money.

It was much more than that. The whole story didn't jive. I tried to give
him the benefit of the doubt - but I just couldn't - too much of his story
wasn't right. It was all about "David". He's not too bright, so what he
perceives to be a brainstorm is nothing more than a light drizzle to anyone
who knows a little about cats and vets.

> This is why I have not bothered with his posts since the cat died.

The cat didn't just die - he had her *killed* because "I [David] might need
all that money for ME if a problem came up". That cinched it and confirmed
all my suspicions.

> (I'm not saying David is a bad guy--

Why not? I am.

hell some men love their
> girlfriends less than he probably loves his cats--

....only if they live up to his expectations. If not, they're dead or
discarded.

but there's
> just something off here that I can't relate to.)

Its self-centered bull****.

Phil P.
March 24th 05, 04:49 PM
"KellyH" > wrote in message
> "David via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
> > RE: Fostering a cat
> >
> > I don't see what there is wrong about fostering a cat.
> >

> Who said there was anything wrong with fostering? I've fostered many cats
> and kittens. I had to stop a few months ago and I miss it terribly.
Well,
> actually I still have one foster, but she's integrated in with the rest of
> the cats.
>
> > Fostering a cat helps out the adoption agency. If the cat at the vet
> > recovers, he still did not adjust to living in my apartment and he
> > shouldn't come back - he'll just stop eating again. Maybe fostering cats
> > would be a good idea - they certainly need the help. What is wrong with
> > that?
> >

> How do you know he will stop eating again? Did he seem bothered at your
> house?

Can't you see what this lying, manipulating, self-centered, selfish,
inconsiderate, insensensitive, little creep is doing? He's building an
excuse for not keeping the cat so it won't look like its his fault when he
doesn't keep the cat.

Mary
March 24th 05, 04:59 PM
"kitkat" > wrote in message
om...
> David via CatKB.com wrote:
> > RE: Fostering a cat
> >
> > I don't see what there is wrong about fostering a cat.
> >
> > Fostering a cat helps out the adoption agency. If the cat at the vet
> > recovers, he still did not adjust to living in my apartment and he
> > shouldn't come back - he'll just stop eating again. Maybe fostering cats
> > would be a good idea - they certainly need the help. What is wrong with
> > that?
> >

> There is nothing wrong with fostering cats. However, you have no idea
> what will happen with the other cat if he returns to your apartment. It
> sounds like he stopped eating because he was traumatized over the death
> of his owner. Once he gets treated and starts eating again, he may do
> just fine with you again.

He wants a problem free cat. He is intent on hedging his bets, not
willing to take the gamble we all take. If he had brought my Cheeks
home he would have returned her at the first asthma attack. And she
is the sweetest, most loving and intelligent cat I have ever met.

KellyH
March 24th 05, 05:03 PM
"Monique Y. Mudama" > wrote

> I don't know how things work in your area, but just as a heads-up,
> fostering,
> at least through my local shelter, involves a *lot* of training and a
> house
> inspection (required by law, I think). My shelter doesn't foster out
> healthy,
> easily-adoptable cats, either, as it would take them out of the
> environment
> (the shelter) where they are most likely to get adopted. So fostering
> typically entails giving a home to a cat who is somehow troubled, either
> too
> young to survive on its own (in which case we're talking about feedings
> every
> two hours), or recovering from some illness or injury, or one who has
> behavioral issues that have prevented it from finding an owner, so they
> need
> someone to socialize it for a while. Special-needs cats who need a lot of
> time and attention. I don't recall how the cost distribution works for
> food,
> health care, etc., but I'm sure that varies by shelter. Fostering is more
> than just taking a healthy cat home for a few weeks and playing with it.
>
> However, the shelter I'm talking about doesn't euthanize pets that are
> even
> remotely adoptable. Kill shelters may be more receptive to fostering
> healthy
> cats.

Right. Fostering is not exactly "try and buy". You have to be comitted,
and open to different types of fosters. I've done everything from orphaned
kittens to senior cats. Sometimes we do need people to hold a cat for a few
days until we have room, but usually our volunteers do that. Most of the
time when we are looking for foster homes, it's for somewhat long-term.
I don't know what the laws are in other states, but in New Hampshire, when a
cat comes in with a bite wound, we have to hold it for 6 months before we
can put it up for adoption, to make sure the cat doesn't develop rabies.
This is one of our biggest needs. It doesn't happen that often, but it's so
hard to find a 6 month foster home.
Sorry, just rambling now.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net
"Wake up, and smell the cat food" -TMBG

Mary
March 24th 05, 05:04 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "David via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Well, my last cat is now under observation at the adoption agency's
> > vetrinarian...He was very loveable and mushy - just purred and sat on my
> > lap, totally adorable.
> >
> > Except he didn't eat. Best I could figure out was that his former owner
> > died, so he/she was elderly - kept him company and fed him goodies all
day
> > (his papers said "grossly obese" from animal rescue).
> >
> > I got a call from the vet today - the doctor left a message that it was
> > most likely liver disease. The representative from the adoption agency
> said
> > "Of course it was liver disease, that's what happens when cats don't
> > eat....
> >
> > ..It's sort of a chicken and egg thing - is the cat not eating because
of
> > liver disease, or does he have liver disease because he's not eating.
> >
> > In any event, stopped by another pet store, another agency has a set-up
> > there..This time I'm just fostering a cat till Friday..or longer. But he
> is
> > DEFINITELY going back! He's gorgeous, eats up a storm...Except when he
> lies
> > on the bed if you go to pet him, he hisses and scratches. But he loves
> > be petted when he's walking around...Once he lies down - watch out!!!!!
> >
> > No the kind of cat I'm looking for..I like the ones that like to
cuddle..

> It takes *time* to build a trusting relationship you self-centered
*******.

> > So, when I'm looking around at shelters or adoption centers..What are
the
> > ten warning signs that something is wrong behavior and health wise??
>

> > In the meantime, fostering is a nice way to get a cat into the house
once
> > again..even if it's not a perfect match. There's no long term
commitement
> > required...and if it works out, you can keep the cat..
>
> ..and if it doesn't work out fast enough or the cat doesn't live up to
your
> expectations, you have her killed or returned like defective merchandise.
>
> If you really want to help the cats of this world, STAY THE **** AWAY FROM
> THEM and LEAVE THEM ALONE.
>

> Does anyone have any information on this character? I want to make sure
> every shelter in 100 mile radius of him puts him on their DNA list.

Is he a sociopath or just 1/4 inch deep? Man. I thought it might
just be me.

Phil P.
March 24th 05, 05:20 PM
"Mary" > wrote in message

> "kitkat" > wrote in message
> om...
> > David via CatKB.com wrote:
> > > RE: Fostering a cat
> > >
> > > I don't see what there is wrong about fostering a cat.
> > >
> > > Fostering a cat helps out the adoption agency. If the cat at the vet
> > > recovers, he still did not adjust to living in my apartment and he
> > > shouldn't come back - he'll just stop eating again. Maybe fostering
cats
> > > would be a good idea - they certainly need the help. What is wrong
with
> > > that?
> > >

> > There is nothing wrong with fostering cats. However, you have no idea
> > what will happen with the other cat if he returns to your apartment. It
> > sounds like he stopped eating because he was traumatized over the death
> > of his owner. Once he gets treated and starts eating again, he may do
> > just fine with you again.
>
> He wants a problem free cat. He is intent on hedging his bets, not
> willing to take the gamble we all take. If he had brought my Cheeks
> home he would have returned her at the first asthma attack.

....or he would have conjured up a story and/or exaggerated the seriousness
of her condition to justify killing her because she didn't live up to his
expectations.

He actually resents spending money that he might need for *himself* on 'his'
cats.

And she
> is the sweetest, most loving and intelligent cat I have ever met.

That's because you have a natural affinity with cats. He doesn't.

CatNipped
March 24th 05, 05:39 PM
"David via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
> I'm aware of that - this is a little more simple, it's just space related.
> The adoption agency only has so much room at the pet store, they can't
> keep
> pets in certain areas overnight. Weekends are the big adoption time (they
> get really busy, which is nice)..So they really just need people to keep
> the cats during the week when it's slow.
>
> The cats have all been pre-screened, vaccinated, wormed, etc. for
> adoption...So there's not as great a chance of behavioral/health
> issues..It
> also lets people "try out" a cat and if it doesn't work out they can
> return
> it. If it does work, then they can drop off a donation check.
>
> Not a bad system, I think.

Yeah, just like buying a pair of shoes - if they don't fit or don't match
your outfit just return 'em for a money-back refund. ****NOT****!!!!

Adopting a cat is like adopting (or birthing) a child - you take what you
get, warts and all, and you make accomodations in your lifestyle to
integrate that new life into your family! If they have problems, mental or
physical, you do *EVERYTHING* in your power to correct those problems, but
even if those problems can't be fixed you *STILL* don't give up on them but
love them even more and take care of them in whatever way they need. Would
you take a child who stops eating to a pediatrician and say, "here, kill it,
it's too much trouble!"???!

Fostering a cat is like fostering a child - most children (or animals) need
to be fostered *BECAUSE* of problems they have that make them unadoptable at
the time. It's *YOUR* job to work *EXTRA* hard to fix those problems while
they are in your care.

Do all the cats in the world a favor please - buy a goldfish instead - then
you can pick a color that matches your decor and try to remember to throw it
a few fish flakes now and then if you're not too busy!

Hugs,

CatNipped

> --

March 24th 05, 05:52 PM
David via CatKB.com wrote:
> I'm aware of that - this is a little more simple, it's just space
related.
> The adoption agency only has so much room at the pet store, they
can't keep
> pets in certain areas overnight. Weekends are the big adoption time
(they
> get really busy, which is nice)..So they really just need people to
keep
> the cats during the week when it's slow.
>
> The cats have all been pre-screened, vaccinated, wormed, etc. for
> adoption...So there's not as great a chance of behavioral/health
issues..It
> also lets people "try out" a cat and if it doesn't work out they can
return
> it. If it does work, then they can drop off a donation check.
>
> Not a bad system, I think.

Geez. You act like behavioral issues are like a terminal illness,
something that can't be fixed. They can. I don't think you should
foster. No one should foster a cat unless they're prepared to keep it
for as long as it takes, no matter what. You can't just bounce cats
around like that. It isn't right.
Sherry

David via CatKB.com
March 24th 05, 06:34 PM
I'm not adopting cats and then euthanizing them when they don't work out. I
had my last cat for 14 years. She developed a liver tumor. I made the
mistake of posting my thoughts to this message board.

It was helpful at first, then started to get wierd when Phil started
screaming at me "cut it out! cut it out" and calling my vet a moron - which
he is not. It was time to get her euthanized because at her age and weight
a second vet's opinion was that she would not survive surgery.

The ADOPTION AGENCY was the one who suggested fostering a cat for a while.
They told me they encourage it because it helps them out space-wise, and if
the people decide to keep the cat -great. Are they self-centered *******s
too?

I visited my sick cat at the vets at lunch today. He is still not eating
well and they are taking good care of him and monitoring him. If he needs
intravenous they will administer it.

I've spent about $1500 in the past month and a half for cat care, including
over $400 on a cat who had only been in a home for a week. If the cat
stopped eating, what am I supposed to do, I tried every kind of food. It is
the adoption agency who has the policy and strongly advises that the cat be
returned if it is not working out.

I'm not posting to or reading this board anymore, and I will continue
working with qualified vets and agencies and trusting their advice - not a
bunch of faceless phantoms who only know how to say nasty, untrue things.

sarah
March 24th 05, 08:15 PM
You don't pick a cat.

A cat picks YOU!

sarah

Phil P.
March 24th 05, 09:00 PM
"David via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
> I'm not adopting cats and then euthanizing them when they don't work out.

No, you just dispose of the cat if she doesn't instantly meet up to your
expectations and/or standards or if she has special needs that might require
you to -spend money that you might need for *yourself* -- Your words, not
mine.

> It was helpful at first, then started to get wierd when Phil started
> screaming at me "cut it out! cut it out" and calling my vet a moron -
which
> he is not.

If he's not, then you lied or exaggerated about the seriousness of her
condition. *You* said the vet *thought* her liver tumor was cancerous and
even botched the biopsy. Most liver tumors in cats are *benign* and the
tumors that are malignant almost *always* metastasize by the time they're
diagnosed - yet there was no mention or evidence of metastisis. *Also* - the
size of the tumor (1.5 cm) was not nearly large enough to seriously affect
liver function and certainly not large enough to require euthanasia.

It was time to get her euthanized because at her age and weight
> a second vet's opinion was that she would not survive surgery.

I don't think so. I think you stated the *real* reason perfectly: "I might
need all that money for ME if a problem came up".

> The ADOPTION AGENCY was the one who suggested fostering a cat for a while.
> They told me they encourage it because it helps them out space-wise, and
if
> the people decide to keep the cat -great. Are they self-centered *******s
> too?

No - they're just desperate for fosters and space --- like every other
shelter. The 'any port in a storm' principal.

> I visited my sick cat at the vets at lunch today. He is still not eating
> well and they are taking good care of him and monitoring him. If he needs
> intravenous they will administer it.

Why do you call him 'my sick cat'? You made it clear he wasn't comming back
to your home....

> I've spent about $1500 in the past month and a half for cat care,
including
> over $400 on a cat who had only been in a home for a week.

It sickens me when a person proclaims how much money he's spent on a cat as
if they expect to be praised or rewarded just for doing the right thing.

If the cat
> stopped eating, what am I supposed to do,

Certainly not trade him in for a cat that eats when and what you want him
to. That's what you've done. You're supposed to provide the necessary
veterinary care and supportive care and nurse him back to health.

I tried every kind of food. It is
> the adoption agency who has the policy and strongly advises that the cat
be
> returned if it is not working out.

Every shelter says that so adoptives don't dispose of the cats - possibly
cruelly.

> I'm not posting to or reading this board anymore,

Oh no! Don't do that! Anything but that! That would really break my ****ing
heart....

You won't miss anything because you don't learn nor want to learn. You do
what you want to do and conjure up or manipulate the story to so we'll
validate your actions

and I will continue
> working with qualified vets

You don't know enough about cats or vets to recoginize an incompetent vet
even if he neutered you by mistake!

and agencies and trusting their advice - not a
> bunch of faceless phantoms who only know how to say nasty, untrue things.

Just forming opinions based on *your* posts.

Cathy Friedmann
March 24th 05, 09:55 PM
"Mary" > wrote in message

> "kitkat" > wrote in message
> om...
> > David via CatKB.com wrote:
> > > RE: Fostering a cat
> > >
> > > I don't see what there is wrong about fostering a cat.
> > >
> > > Fostering a cat helps out the adoption agency. If the cat at the vet
> > > recovers, he still did not adjust to living in my apartment and he
> > > shouldn't come back - he'll just stop eating again. Maybe fostering
cats
> > > would be a good idea - they certainly need the help. What is wrong
with
> > > that?
> > >

> > There is nothing wrong with fostering cats. However, you have no idea
> > what will happen with the other cat if he returns to your apartment. It
> > sounds like he stopped eating because he was traumatized over the death
> > of his owner. Once he gets treated and starts eating again, he may do
> > just fine with you again.
>
> He wants a problem free cat. He is intent on hedging his bets, not
> willing to take the gamble we all take. If he had brought my Cheeks
> home he would have returned her at the first asthma attack. And she
> is the sweetest, most loving and intelligent cat I have ever met.

And I was thinking: if he'd adopted my Demelza, he probably would've
returned her to the shelter as soon as he found out at her first vet visit
(on the way home from the shelter) that she has a heart murmur.

Cathy

Cathy Friedmann
March 24th 05, 09:58 PM
"Mary" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> >
> > "David via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Well, my last cat is now under observation at the adoption agency's
> > > vetrinarian...He was very loveable and mushy - just purred and sat on
my
> > > lap, totally adorable.
> > >
> > > Except he didn't eat. Best I could figure out was that his former
owner
> > > died, so he/she was elderly - kept him company and fed him goodies all
> day
> > > (his papers said "grossly obese" from animal rescue).
> > >
> > > I got a call from the vet today - the doctor left a message that it
was
> > > most likely liver disease. The representative from the adoption agency
> > said
> > > "Of course it was liver disease, that's what happens when cats don't
> > > eat....
> > >
> > > ..It's sort of a chicken and egg thing - is the cat not eating because
> of
> > > liver disease, or does he have liver disease because he's not eating.
> > >
> > > In any event, stopped by another pet store, another agency has a
set-up
> > > there..This time I'm just fostering a cat till Friday..or longer. But
he
> > is
> > > DEFINITELY going back! He's gorgeous, eats up a storm...Except when he
> > lies
> > > on the bed if you go to pet him, he hisses and scratches. But he loves
> > > be petted when he's walking around...Once he lies down - watch
out!!!!!

> > > No the kind of cat I'm looking for..I like the ones that like to
> cuddle..
> >

> > It takes *time* to build a trusting relationship you self-centered
> *******.
> >

> > > So, when I'm looking around at shelters or adoption centers..What are
> the
> > > ten warning signs that something is wrong behavior and health wise??
> >

> > > In the meantime, fostering is a nice way to get a cat into the house
> once
> > > again..even if it's not a perfect match. There's no long term
> commitement
> > > required...and if it works out, you can keep the cat..
> >
> > ..and if it doesn't work out fast enough or the cat doesn't live up to
> your
> > expectations, you have her killed or returned like defective
merchandise.

> > If you really want to help the cats of this world, STAY THE **** AWAY
FROM
> > THEM and LEAVE THEM ALONE.
> >

> > Does anyone have any information on this character? I want to make sure
> > every shelter in 100 mile radius of him puts him on their DNA list.
> >

> Is he a sociopath or just 1/4 inch deep? Man. I thought it might
> just be me.

Nope. I can usually give people a bit of leeway - the benefit of the
doubt - I think, but this guy's post caused my early warning radar to go way
up.

Cathy

Mary
March 24th 05, 10:42 PM
"sarah" > wrote in message
> You don't pick a cat.
>
> A cat picks YOU!
>

> sarah

Amen!

Mary
March 24th 05, 10:46 PM
"David via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
> I'm not adopting cats and then euthanizing them when they don't work out.
> had my last cat for 14 years. She developed a liver tumor. I made the
> mistake of posting my thoughts to this message board.

David. Of the hundreds of people who post here a year, you
are the ONLY one who displays this weird callousness about
cats. The ONLY one. That is what everyone is reacting to.
You're missing some parts of your heart--or something.
Please don't get any more cats.

Mary
March 24th 05, 10:50 PM
"Cathy Friedmann" > wrote in message

> "Mary" > wrote in message
> >
> > "kitkat" > wrote in message
> > om...

> cats
> with
> > > >

> > > There is nothing wrong with fostering cats. However, you have no idea
> > > what will happen with the other cat if he returns to your apartment.
It
> > > sounds like he stopped eating because he was traumatized over the
death
> > > of his owner. Once he gets treated and starts eating again, he may do
> > > just fine with you again.
> >
> > He wants a problem free cat. He is intent on hedging his bets, not
> > willing to take the gamble we all take. If he had brought my Cheeks
> > home he would have returned her at the first asthma attack. And she
> > is the sweetest, most loving and intelligent cat I have ever met.
>
> And I was thinking: if he'd adopted my Demelza, he probably would've
> returned her to the shelter as soon as he found out at her first vet visit
> (on the way home from the shelter) that she has a heart murmur.

In all honesty, this ****ing moron just rips my heart out because
he reminds me of all the wonderful animals out there who cannot
find good homes due to ignorant, callous, hardhearted jackasses who
even IF they think they like cats, treat them like objects with no feelings.
Oo. I want a really pretty one that won't get sick and cost me money.
Imagine that little cat with the CRF CUDDLING up to this mf, and he
gives her back? Jezus. It's so sad it's just beyond crying about. I think
I hate everyone I know who will not adopt a shelter cat. And everyone
I don't know, too.

Mary
March 24th 05, 10:54 PM
"Cathy Friedmann" > wrote in message

> "Mary" > wrote in message

> my

> owner
> > day

> was
> > > said

> > of

> set-up
But
> he
> > > is
> > > lies
> out!!!!!

> > cuddle..
> > >

> > > It takes *time* to build a trusting relationship you self-centered
> > *******.

> > the

> > once
> > commitement
> > >
> > > ..and if it doesn't work out fast enough or the cat doesn't live up to
> > your
> > > expectations, you have her killed or returned like defective
> merchandise.
> > >
> > > If you really want to help the cats of this world, STAY THE **** AWAY
> FROM
> > > THEM and LEAVE THEM ALONE.
> > >

> > > Does anyone have any information on this character? I want to make
sure
> > > every shelter in 100 mile radius of him puts him on their DNA list.
> > >

> > Is he a sociopath or just 1/4 inch deep? Man. I thought it might
> > just be me.
>
> Nope. I can usually give people a bit of leeway - the benefit of the
> doubt - I think, but this guy's post caused my early warning radar to go
way
> up.

People like Dave give me the unhappy feeling that if I could do it
legally, I would enjoy ruining his life.