PDA

View Full Version : Possible CRF diagnosis

Linda E
March 24th 05, 12:35 PM
My sister's cat had a feeding tube inserted yesterday, awaiting definitive
diagnosis on what looks like CRF. Here're my questions:

How long can a cat's quality of life be maintained after CRF diagnosis?
(She is 8yo)

What kind of effort/commitment is needed by the cat owner to manage this
disease?

Thanks in advance, Linda

blkcatgal
March 24th 05, 02:24 PM
Check out the following website for info on CRF. www.felinecrf.com. There
is also a Yahoo feline crf support group that you could join for people with
cats with CRF. www.groups.yahoo.com. Lots of good info and help from
people who have been dealing with CRF.

Good luck.

Sue
"Linda E" > wrote in message
.. .
> My sister's cat had a feeding tube inserted yesterday, awaiting definitive
> diagnosis on what looks like CRF. Here're my questions:
>
> How long can a cat's quality of life be maintained after CRF diagnosis?
> (She is 8yo)
>
> What kind of effort/commitment is needed by the cat owner to manage this
> disease?
>
> Thanks in advance, Linda

Cathy Friedmann
March 24th 05, 09:51 PM
"Linda E" > wrote in message
.. .
> My sister's cat had a feeding tube inserted yesterday, awaiting definitive
> diagnosis on what looks like CRF. Here're my questions:
>
> How long can a cat's quality of life be maintained after CRF diagnosis?
> (She is 8yo)
>
> What kind of effort/commitment is needed by the cat owner to manage this
> disease?
>
> Thanks in advance, Linda

Wow - 8 is pretty young for CRF. The longevity beyond diagnosis varies from
cat to cat. One cat I know of lived another 5 years, & he was an older (in
his mid-to-late teens) cat, while others succumb more quickly, even with all
of the correct treatments in place.

Here's a great, very useful (practical, & with a ton of info) site about
CRF: www.felinecrf.org

Cathy

Linda E
March 25th 05, 01:37 AM
"Linda E" > wrote in message
.. .
> My sister's cat had a feeding tube inserted yesterday, awaiting definitive
> diagnosis on what looks like CRF. Here're my questions:
>
> How long can a cat's quality of life be maintained after CRF diagnosis?
> (She is 8yo)
>
> What kind of effort/commitment is needed by the cat owner to manage this
> disease?
>
> Thanks in advance, Linda

Thank you all for your replies. My sister's cat was euthanized this
evening. I didn't speak with the vet, but, my sister thinks that "arf"
became the closer diagnosis. A test was done this afternoon (with dye?) and
one kidney was completely shut down, the other barely working. He asked
them about anitfreeze (they didn't have any) and other toxins. Basil was a
completely indoor cat with the exception of the 3 days in September that she
was missing after sneaking out of the house. She was a sweet cat.

Linda

Cathy Friedmann
March 25th 05, 02:31 AM
"Linda E" > wrote in message

> "Linda E" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > My sister's cat had a feeding tube inserted yesterday, awaiting
definitive
> > diagnosis on what looks like CRF. Here're my questions:
> >
> > How long can a cat's quality of life be maintained after CRF diagnosis?
> > (She is 8yo)
> >
> > What kind of effort/commitment is needed by the cat owner to manage this
> > disease?
> >
> > Thanks in advance, Linda
>

> Thank you all for your replies. My sister's cat was euthanized this
> evening. I didn't speak with the vet, but, my sister thinks that "arf"
> became the closer diagnosis. A test was done this afternoon (with dye?)
and
> one kidney was completely shut down, the other barely working. He asked
> them about anitfreeze (they didn't have any) and other toxins. Basil was a
> completely indoor cat with the exception of the 3 days in September that
she
> was missing after sneaking out of the house. She was a sweet cat.
>
> Linda

Oh, I'm sorry. ARF (rather than CRF) does make more sense at age 8.

Cathy