PDA

View Full Version : maine coon won`t put on weight

louise semple via CatKB.com
March 27th 05, 12:35 AM
hi could any body help me. i have a one year old female maine coon that has
been going to the vet since she was 13 weeks old with one thing after
another and won`t put on weight. she did weigh 3.57kg in feb but now weighs
3.2kg and is on prednisolone once a day ,was dropped to one every other day
and now incresed to one everyday to try and gain weight.is she going to be
affected long term by these tablets.my maine coon eats very little we have
tryed lots of different things. she is on I.D from the vets and tuna &
pilchards we can not get her to eat anything else . The vet has told me she
has got Inflammatory Bowel Disorder .love LOUISE

Judy
March 27th 05, 05:11 AM
"louise semple via CatKB.com" > wrote in message
> hi could any body help me. i have a one year old female maine coon that
> has
> been going to the vet since she was 13 weeks old with one thing after
> another and won`t put on weight. she did weigh 3.57kg in feb but now
> weighs
> 3.2kg and is on prednisolone once a day ,was dropped to one every other
> day
> and now incresed to one everyday to try and gain weight.is she going to be
> affected long term by these tablets.my maine coon eats very little we have
> tryed lots of different things. she is on I.D from the vets and tuna &
> pilchards we can not get her to eat anything else . The vet has told me
> she
> has got Inflammatory Bowel Disorder .love LOUISE

This article may or may not be of interest.

http://catnutrition.org/DietsandIBD.htm

dgk
March 27th 05, 06:48 PM
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 00:35:54 GMT, "louise semple via CatKB.com"
> wrote:

>hi could any body help me. i have a one year old female maine coon that has
>been going to the vet since she was 13 weeks old with one thing after
>another and won`t put on weight. she did weigh 3.57kg in feb but now weighs
>3.2kg and is on prednisolone once a day ,was dropped to one every other day
>and now incresed to one everyday to try and gain weight.is she going to be
>affected long term by these tablets.my maine coon eats very little we have
>tryed lots of different things. she is on I.D from the vets and tuna &
>pilchards we can not get her to eat anything else . The vet has told me she
>has got Inflammatory Bowel Disorder .love LOUISE

Feline IBD. Much of the advice seems to be disparaged by some Vets,
such as eating a raw diet without grains, but the folks on the group
seem to be the ones who would know. IBD appears to be an auto-immune
disease (the body attacks its own tissues) and it runs rampant in my
family (people as well as cats). I'm on my second IBD cat now (I just
posted about Jackie having a seizure) and Nico (the Wonder cat) died
of it three years back.

Right now I have Jackie eating Steve's Frozen raw food, which does
seem to have helped her bit, but I can't get her to eat much of it any
more. Good luck, it is a bit of a struggle.