PDA

View Full Version : UTI and bladder stones... need advice

Elijah
April 1st 05, 06:43 PM
Hi, my 2.5 yr old Nebelung cat Shayna has UTI and bladder stones.
She's on antibiotics for the UTI and will soon be on a modified diet
for the stones. Currently she is restricted to one room in the house,
because her urination is frequent and inappropriate. I can't leave her
locked in this one room for months, but I don't want her destroying my
house. How long does it usually take for cats to respond to a modified
diet? Can other cats catch UTI? How do I feed one cat a normal diet
while feeding the other a modified diet, assuming the cat with stone
sis no longer infected?

Marcia
April 3rd 05, 01:11 PM
"Elijah" > wrote in message . com>...
> Hi, my 2.5 yr old Nebelung cat Shayna has UTI and bladder stones.
> She's on antibiotics for the UTI and will soon be on a modified diet
> for the stones. Currently she is restricted to one room in the house,
> because her urination is frequent and inappropriate. I can't leave her
> locked in this one room for months, but I don't want her destroying my
> house. How long does it usually take for cats to respond to a modified
> diet? Can other cats catch UTI? How do I feed one cat a normal diet
> while feeding the other a modified diet, assuming the cat with stone
> sis no longer infected?

When I had to modify Otis (UK) diet, I did it (on the advice of my
vet) gradually, mixing a bit of his new food with his old, then
gradually mixing more and more of the new food in until the old had
gone. It took a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if cats can catch it
off each other. As far as feeding two cats goes, my sister does this.
She has a laundry room and she brings in the cat on modified food,
and shuts the door so the other one can't get in and it eats its food.
Then, when it's finished, she brings the other one in to eat its
food. They are very strict in their house with feeding times, rather
than leaving food out all day, as she's in Australia and food goes off
too quickly, so it works for her that they know what time dinner is
and come in, and she is able to separate them. Good luck though!