PDA

View Full Version : Question about catnip

Jill McQuown
September 1st 03, 01:35 PM
I've seen it loose, in bags, and read about fresh catnip here in rpca. So
what do you do with it? I can't conceive of just sprinkling it all over the
carpet.

Jill

Victor M. Martinez
September 1st 03, 02:07 PM
Jill McQuown > wrote:
>I've seen it loose, in bags, and read about fresh catnip here in rpca. So
>what do you do with it? I can't conceive of just sprinkling it all over the
>carpet.

We sprinkle it on the scratching posts/surfaces for the cats to roll on. We
literally have a dozen of those all over the house. They *love* their
catnip.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

whayface
September 1st 03, 03:00 PM
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 13:07:39 +0000 (UTC), (Victor
M. Martinez) wrote:

>>I've seen it loose, in bags, and read about fresh catnip here in rpca. So
>>what do you do with it? I can't conceive of just sprinkling it all over the
>>carpet.
>
>We sprinkle it on the scratching posts/surfaces for the cats to roll on. We
>literally have a dozen of those all over the house. They *love* their
>catnip.

My babies love the fresh catnips. They eat it right down. I have a
patch growing at my Mom's place.

http://www.ameritech.net/users/lestark/my-babies.htm

Jill McQuown
September 1st 03, 04:34 PM
Victor M. Martinez wrote:
> Jill McQuown > wrote:
>> I've seen it loose, in bags, and read about fresh catnip here in
>> rpca. So what do you do with it? I can't conceive of just
>> sprinkling it all over the carpet.
>
> We sprinkle it on the scratching posts/surfaces for the cats to roll
> on. We literally have a dozen of those all over the house. They
> *love* their catnip.

Persia doesn't have claws. She has one cat perch; I suppose I could
sprinkle some of it on that and see if she likes it. Hmmm.

Jill

Jill McQuown
September 1st 03, 04:34 PM
whayface wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 13:07:39 +0000 (UTC), (Victor
> M. Martinez) wrote:
>
>>> I've seen it loose, in bags, and read about fresh catnip here in
>>> rpca. So what do you do with it? I can't conceive of just
>>> sprinkling it all over the carpet.
>>
>> We sprinkle it on the scratching posts/surfaces for the cats to roll
>> on. We literally have a dozen of those all over the house. They
>> *love* their catnip.
>
> My babies love the fresh catnips. They eat it right down. I have a
> patch growing at my Mom's place.
>
> http://www.ameritech.net/users/lestark/my-babies.htm

Gorgeous kitties! Thanks for the pics!

Jill

Ginger-lyn Summer
September 1st 03, 05:54 PM
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 07:35:40 -0500, "Jill McQuown"
> wrote:

>I've seen it loose, in bags, and read about fresh catnip here in rpca. So
>what do you do with it? I can't conceive of just sprinkling it all over the
>carpet.
>
>Jill

You can, like Victor said, put it on the scratching post and such. Or
what I do also is to put a little bit down on some newspapers on the
floor. With seven cats, we have a catnip *party*, of course! It's
too funny to watch all these guys sniffing, eating, and rolling around
on catnip.

Ginger-lyn

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
September 1st 03, 07:15 PM
Jill McQuown wrote:

> I've seen it loose, in bags, and read about fresh catnip here in rpca. So
> what do you do with it? I can't conceive of just sprinkling it all over the
> carpet.

Why not? I'm sure the cats would have no objection! <grin> I used to
lay a newspaper on the floor, and sprinkle it on that - of course, by
the time the cats were through with it, it was pretty much all over the
carpet, anyway. There are any number of cat toys with refillable
receptacles for catnip, or you can make your own catnip toys from old
stockings, etc. (If you have a catnip plant, the cats will do their own
nibbling.)

Jill McQuown
September 1st 03, 08:09 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
> Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> Victor M. Martinez wrote:
>>>
>>> We sprinkle it on the scratching posts/surfaces for the cats to roll
>>> on. We literally have a dozen of those all over the house. They
>>> *love* their catnip.
>>
>> Persia doesn't have claws.
>
> In the light of some of your previous posts, why am I not surprised?

Why do I sense animosity? She *came* that way. I didn't adopt her; she
adopted me by crying at my back door and demanding to be let in. She was
left to run loose, defenseless, with only back claws. I do the responsible
thing and keep her inside. She's happy.

Jill

Diane
September 2nd 03, 03:29 PM
Hi Jill...
I buy loose catnip. You can also purchase little fake fur "mice" with hook
and loop tummies to stuff the catnip into. Or, you can do what I did... if
you have a sewing machine... make your own little "catnip-stuffed-toys" from
scraps of old blue jeans. The denim is very sturdy... yet allows the catnip
fragrance to escape and thus, entice your feline friends. Your cats will be
in la la land for hours with their catnip laced toys.
Did you know you can make a tea for human consumption from catnip?
Supposedly, humans can get a similar effect from the tea that cats get from
sniffing catnip.
Diane :))

bewtifulfreak
September 3rd 03, 06:56 AM
Diane wrote:

> Did you know you can make a tea for human consumption from catnip?
> Supposedly, humans can get a similar effect from the tea that cats
> get from sniffing catnip.

Wow, never knew *that*! May have to try it one of these days (why should
the cats have all the fun?).... ;)

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Jette Goldie
September 3rd 03, 10:10 PM
"Marina" > wrote in message

> "Jill McQuown" > wrote
> > I've seen it loose, in bags, and read about fresh catnip here in rpca.
So
> > what do you do with it? I can't conceive of just sprinkling it all over
> the
> > carpet.
>
> I just put a little pile for Frank and a little pile for Nikki right on
the
> floor. Nikki has to hurry up and eat hers before Frank gets high on his
and
> comes to push her away from her pile. He's a real mean drunk!

I have the same problem with Apache and Dakota - he steals hers
every time. Sometimes if he's asleep I can put a little out for
Apache that she can enjoy all by herself.

--
Jette
"Work for Peace and remain Fiercely Loving" - Jim Byrnes

http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
September 4th 03, 03:36 AM
Diane wrote:

> Hi Jill...
> I buy loose catnip. You can also purchase little fake fur "mice" with hook
> and loop tummies to stuff the catnip into. Or, you can do what I did... if
> you have a sewing machine... make your own little "catnip-stuffed-toys" from
> scraps of old blue jeans. The denim is very sturdy... yet allows the catnip
> fragrance to escape and thus, entice your feline friends. Your cats will be
> in la la land for hours with their catnip laced toys.
> Did you know you can make a tea for human consumption from catnip?
> Supposedly, humans can get a similar effect from the tea that cats get from
> sniffing catnip.

Well, not exactly - its effect on humans is more that of a mild
tranquilizer. (I came across a book on medicinal use of herbs which
recommended an "infusion" - aka "tea" - of catnip for treatment of
"hysteria and fits" in women!)

bewtifulfreak
September 4th 03, 05:31 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
> Diane wrote:

>> Supposedly, humans can get a similar effect from the tea that cats
>> get from sniffing catnip.
>
> Well, not exactly - its effect on humans is more that of a mild
> tranquilizer. (I came across a book on medicinal use of herbs which
> recommended an "infusion" - aka "tea" - of catnip for treatment of
> "hysteria and fits" in women!)

Sounds like an old book....!

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Tanada
September 5th 03, 09:49 PM
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

> Diane wrote:
> >
> > Did you know you can make a tea for human consumption from catnip?
> > Supposedly, humans can get a similar effect from the tea that cats get from
> > sniffing catnip.
>
> Well, not exactly - its effect on humans is more that of a mild
> tranquilizer. (I came across a book on medicinal use of herbs which
> recommended an "infusion" - aka "tea" - of catnip for treatment of
> "hysteria and fits" in women!)

Ah, human feliway. That makes sense, in some strange way.

Pam S. who's glad to have another reason (as if she ever needed one) for
growing catnip.

Hazel Az
September 10th 03, 04:44 PM
"whayface" > wrote in message
> My babies love the fresh catnips. They eat it right down. I have a
> patch growing at my Mom's place.
>
> http://www.ameritech.net/users/lestark/my-babies.htm

I love your kitty pics. Rascal's mustache is so adorable! Thanks for
showing us.

Hazel Az