PDA

View Full Version : On Topic - Biking - WTF???

CatNipped
August 1st 05, 02:43 AM
OK, I love my new bike, but since I have been riding again after getting
over the pneumonia, I've been having a weird problem. After about 40
minutes of riding my left foot will "fall asleep". I changed the saddle to
my old saddle (that I used to ride for 2 hours at a time without having the
phenomenon happen). I started wearing my new clipless cleat left shoe
really loose (I don't *think" it's because it's too tight, they don't feel
too tight). It feels more like my sciatic nerve is being pressed on.

Anybody have any input on this?

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped
August 1st 05, 03:04 AM

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
> > OK, I love my new bike, but since I have been riding again after getting
> > over the pneumonia, I've been having a weird problem. After about 40
> > minutes of riding my left foot will "fall asleep". I changed the saddle
> > my old saddle (that I used to ride for 2 hours at a time without having
> > the
> > phenomenon happen). I started wearing my new clipless cleat left shoe
> > really loose (I don't *think" it's because it's too tight, they don't
feel
> > too tight). It feels more like my sciatic nerve is being pressed on.
> >
> > Anybody have any input on this?
> >
> > Hugs,
> >
> > CatNipped
> >

> This sounds like pressure is being placed on a nerve, as you said. I'm no
> expert, but that is what I would suspect. Pressure on a nerve in one area
> can often travel to an entirely different area (your foot, in this
> instance).
>
> MaryL

Yeah, I think I'll have to take the bike into the shop and let them have a
look at the "fit" for me.

Hugs,

CatNipped

MaryL
August 1st 05, 03:05 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> OK, I love my new bike, but since I have been riding again after getting
> over the pneumonia, I've been having a weird problem. After about 40
> minutes of riding my left foot will "fall asleep". I changed the saddle
> my old saddle (that I used to ride for 2 hours at a time without having
> the
> phenomenon happen). I started wearing my new clipless cleat left shoe
> really loose (I don't *think" it's because it's too tight, they don't feel
> too tight). It feels more like my sciatic nerve is being pressed on.
>
> Anybody have any input on this?
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

This sounds like pressure is being placed on a nerve, as you said. I'm no
expert, but that is what I would suspect. Pressure on a nerve in one area
can often travel to an entirely different area (your foot, in this
instance).

MaryL

Trish
August 1st 05, 03:51 AM

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
> > OK, I love my new bike, but since I have been riding again after getting
> > over the pneumonia, I've been having a weird problem. After about 40
> > minutes of riding my left foot will "fall asleep". I changed the saddle
> > my old saddle (that I used to ride for 2 hours at a time without having
> > the
> > phenomenon happen). I started wearing my new clipless cleat left shoe
> > really loose (I don't *think" it's because it's too tight, they don't
feel
> > too tight). It feels more like my sciatic nerve is being pressed on.
> >
> > Anybody have any input on this?
> >
> > Hugs,
> >
> > CatNipped
> >

> This sounds like pressure is being placed on a nerve, as you said. I'm no
> expert, but that is what I would suspect. Pressure on a nerve in one area
> can often travel to an entirely different area (your foot, in this
> instance).

Catnipped;

Do you get a tingling feeling in your thigh before the sleep feeling in your
foot? I'm wondering if its a circulation problem that may be left over from
the pneumonia. Are you still drinking plenty of fluids?

> MaryL

Susan M
August 1st 05, 04:17 AM
I get this when my seat is just a little too high, for some reason. Both my
feet were falling asleep earlier this week until I brought the seat down a
little bit. Nerve pressure I'm sure.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> OK, I love my new bike, but since I have been riding again after getting
> over the pneumonia, I've been having a weird problem. After about 40
> minutes of riding my left foot will "fall asleep". I changed the saddle
> my old saddle (that I used to ride for 2 hours at a time without having
> the
> phenomenon happen). I started wearing my new clipless cleat left shoe
> really loose (I don't *think" it's because it's too tight, they don't feel
> too tight). It feels more like my sciatic nerve is being pressed on.
>
> Anybody have any input on this?
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

CatNipped
August 1st 05, 04:45 AM
"Trish" > wrote in message

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> >
> > "CatNipped" > wrote in message
> > > OK, I love my new bike, but since I have been riding again after
getting
> > > over the pneumonia, I've been having a weird problem. After about 40
> > > minutes of riding my left foot will "fall asleep". I changed the
saddle
> > > my old saddle (that I used to ride for 2 hours at a time without
having
> > > the
> > > phenomenon happen). I started wearing my new clipless cleat left shoe
> > > really loose (I don't *think" it's because it's too tight, they don't
> feel
> > > too tight). It feels more like my sciatic nerve is being pressed on.
> > >
> > > Anybody have any input on this?
> > >
> > > Hugs,
> > >
> > > CatNipped
> > >

> > This sounds like pressure is being placed on a nerve, as you said. I'm
no
> > expert, but that is what I would suspect. Pressure on a nerve in one
area
> > can often travel to an entirely different area (your foot, in this
> > instance).
> >

> Catnipped;
>
> Do you get a tingling feeling in your thigh before the sleep feeling in
your
> foot? I'm wondering if its a circulation problem that may be left over
from
> the pneumonia. Are you still drinking plenty of fluids?

No, I get a feeling of pressure on my left bottom (but then I'm sitting on
it as I'mriding), but no tingling. And yes, I bought a Camelbak and use
it - so I drink plenty of water as I ride.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> > MaryL

Trish
August 1st 05, 04:55 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "Trish" > wrote in message
> >
> > "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message

> getting
> saddle
> having
> > feel

> > > This sounds like pressure is being placed on a nerve, as you said.
I'm
> no
> > > expert, but that is what I would suspect. Pressure on a nerve in one
> area
> > > can often travel to an entirely different area (your foot, in this
> > > instance).
> > >

> > Catnipped;
> >
> > Do you get a tingling feeling in your thigh before the sleep feeling in
> your
> > foot? I'm wondering if its a circulation problem that may be left over
> from
> > the pneumonia. Are you still drinking plenty of fluids?
>
> No, I get a feeling of pressure on my left bottom (but then I'm sitting on
> it as I'mriding), but no tingling. And yes, I bought a Camelbak and use
> it - so I drink plenty of water as I ride.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
>
> > > MaryL

I'll go along with the seat being too high as the other person stated
(sorry, I can't remember who it was). Have you had the seat adjusted
properly at a bike shop? It makes a world of difference for your hips and
lower back.

Good Luck with it :)

badwilson
August 1st 05, 05:18 AM
CatNipped wrote:
> OK, I love my new bike, but since I have been riding again after
> getting over the pneumonia, I've been having a weird problem. After
> about 40 minutes of riding my left foot will "fall asleep". I
> changed the saddle to my old saddle (that I used to ride for 2 hours
> at a time without having the phenomenon happen). I started wearing
> my new clipless cleat left shoe really loose (I don't *think" it's
> because it's too tight, they don't feel too tight). It feels more
> like my sciatic nerve is being pressed on.
>
> Anybody have any input on this?
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Yeah, I get that sometimes. And I think Dennis has mentioned getting
it too. I never do anything about it, just shake my leg out a bit. I
goes away after a while. I guess I'm just used to limbs falling
asleep, especially since I lost weight and have begun lifting weights.
Can hardly sleep on my side now without my bottom arm and leg falling
asleep. Oh well, I mostly sleep on my stomach anyway.
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

wafflycat
August 1st 05, 07:58 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> OK, I love my new bike, but since I have been riding again after getting
> over the pneumonia, I've been having a weird problem. After about 40
> minutes of riding my left foot will "fall asleep". I changed the saddle
> my old saddle (that I used to ride for 2 hours at a time without having
> the
> phenomenon happen). I started wearing my new clipless cleat left shoe
> really loose (I don't *think" it's because it's too tight, they don't feel
> too tight). It feels more like my sciatic nerve is being pressed on.
>
> Anybody have any input on this?
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Could be positioning of cleat not being quite right. Could be that you have
shoes too tight/too loose. Could be you are unintentionally 'gripping' with
your toes insdie the shoe, which can cause a problem. What sort of clipless
do you have? Try a *definite* pull on the upstroke of the pedalling
movement, as this will reduce the amount of push and reduce pressure on the
sole of your foot. Try a Sorbothane insert in the shoe.

Cheers, helen s

August 1st 05, 01:37 PM
I'm going to second Helen's suggestion: check the position of the cleat
(fore/aft, left/right, and rotation). This seems to be the culprit
especially on relatively small pedal/cleat combos (SPDs, for example).

As you've changed pedals/shoes, you've changed your bike, and this
change trickles out everywhere else. Clipless pedals are generally
thinner than platform pedals, so you might have too high a saddle. If
you have tinkered with it, check to make sure it's not slightly out of
rotation (been there; done that).

A general fit check never hurts as you get more involved in the sport.
Check with the bike shop to do an assessment (probably a "professional
fit" is overkill). Or, check with your local bike club--they often have
knowledgeable people who might help. Plus, you might find some cool
people to ride with (been there; still do that).

Cheers,
Charles

Monique Y. Mudama
August 1st 05, 03:07 PM
On 2005-08-01, CatNipped penned:
> OK, I love my new bike, but since I have been riding again after
> getting over the pneumonia, I've been having a weird problem. After
> about 40 minutes of riding my left foot will "fall asleep". I
> changed the saddle to my old saddle (that I used to ride for 2 hours
> at a time without having the phenomenon happen). I started wearing
> my new clipless cleat left shoe really loose (I don't *think" it's
> because it's too tight, they don't feel too tight). It feels more
> like my sciatic nerve is being pressed on.
>
> Anybody have any input on this?

That's actually a pretty common problem. My feet fall asleep after a
while, too, and I haven't really figured out a fix. Then again, I
have poor circulation in my extremities, so it's not exactly unusual
for my feet to fall asleep.

I think having clipless exacerbates it because you don't move your
feet around at all on the pedal, but it could also happen to me on
flat pedals.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Monique Y. Mudama
August 1st 05, 03:09 PM
On 2005-08-01, penned:
> I'm going to second Helen's suggestion: check the position of the
> cleat (fore/aft, left/right, and rotation). This seems to be the
> culprit especially on relatively small pedal/cleat combos (SPDs, for
> example).

Unfortunately, in my case, my feet go numb in the cleat location that
keeps my knees happy. Beh. And I *have* had a professional fit.

> As you've changed pedals/shoes, you've changed your bike, and this
> change trickles out everywhere else. Clipless pedals are generally
> thinner than platform pedals, so you might have too high a saddle.
> If you have tinkered with it, check to make sure it's not slightly
> out of rotation (been there; done that).

Good point. And if the seat height changes, the handlebar height or
stem length might change ... etc ...

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully