PDA

View Full Version : We're "Expecting"...

September 1st 05, 04:02 PM
.....more kittens and puppies, that is. We have so many litters and more
are coming in. Kitten season isn't slowing down. That's why Angel still
hasnt got a home.
Anyway, I got this bright idea. I thought we could have a shower. You
know, like a baby shower.
I just can't physically help that much at the shelter, but I thought, I
can do *this*, it won't be that hard.
I made the invitations, sent them out today. We got permission to use a
nice public meeting room at a hotel. They even said we can bring some
kittens & puppies if they're caged. We got two newspapers to do a
story. Got a cake donated. Even "registered" at Wal Mart and a couple
of other farm supply stores, for things like bleach, litter, canned
kitten food, paper towels, Frontline, collars, office supplies, just
regular everyday needs.

Now I'm panicking. It is ten days away. Now we're looking at each other
and going "what now?" We need a good punch recipe. We need some ideas
for cheap decorations. Party favors, maybe? Door prizes?

I got some small paw-print cellophane bags, we were putting homemade
oatmeal dog biscuits in them, tying up with ribbon for favors. But what
about the cats? I don't know any self-respecting cat who would eat a
free treat.

Ideas are appreciated!!!

Sherry

Jo Firey
September 1st 05, 04:07 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> ....more kittens and puppies, that is. We have so many litters and more
> are coming in. Kitten season isn't slowing down. That's why Angel still
> hasnt got a home.
> Anyway, I got this bright idea. I thought we could have a shower. You
> know, like a baby shower.
> I just can't physically help that much at the shelter, but I thought, I
> can do *this*, it won't be that hard.
> I made the invitations, sent them out today. We got permission to use a
> nice public meeting room at a hotel. They even said we can bring some
> kittens & puppies if they're caged. We got two newspapers to do a
> story. Got a cake donated. Even "registered" at Wal Mart and a couple
> of other farm supply stores, for things like bleach, litter, canned
> kitten food, paper towels, Frontline, collars, office supplies, just
> regular everyday needs.
>
> Now I'm panicking. It is ten days away. Now we're looking at each other
> and going "what now?" We need a good punch recipe. We need some ideas
> for cheap decorations. Party favors, maybe? Door prizes?
>
> I got some small paw-print cellophane bags, we were putting homemade
> oatmeal dog biscuits in them, tying up with ribbon for favors. But what
> about the cats? I don't know any self-respecting cat who would eat a
> free treat.
>
> Ideas are appreciated!!!
>
> Sherry

Toys, not treats for cats. Most of them forget all about self respect when
it comes to play things,

Sounds like a great idea. Hope it works as well as it sounds.

Jo

Alison
September 1st 05, 04:21 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> ....more kittens and puppies, that is. We have so many litters and
more
> are coming in. Kitten season isn't slowing down. That's why Angel
still
> hasnt got a home.
> Anyway, I got this bright idea. I thought we could have a shower.
You
> know, like a baby shower.
> I just can't physically help that much at the shelter, but I
thought, I
> can do *this*, it won't be that hard.
> I made the invitations, sent them out today. We got permission to
use a
> nice public meeting room at a hotel. They even said we can bring
some
> kittens & puppies if they're caged. We got two newspapers to do a
> story. Got a cake donated. Even "registered" at Wal Mart and a
couple
> of other farm supply stores, for things like bleach, litter, canned
> kitten food, paper towels, Frontline, collars, office supplies,
just
> regular everyday needs.
>

> Ideas are appreciated!!!
>
> Sherry>>

This is a great idea , well done. I can't think of any ideas at the
moment but
I'm sure others will.
Good luck, Alison

Ann
September 1st 05, 04:22 PM
What a wonderful idea, having a shower for the pets. I agree that toys would
be good for the cats.Maybe your local party supply store has some cat or dog
theme decorations.
Ann

see pictures of Sam at
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ann791/my_photos

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> ....more kittens and puppies, that is. We have so many litters and more
> are coming in. Kitten season isn't slowing down. That's why Angel still
> hasnt got a home.
> Anyway, I got this bright idea. I thought we could have a shower. You
> know, like a baby shower.
> I just can't physically help that much at the shelter, but I thought, I
> can do *this*, it won't be that hard.
> I made the invitations, sent them out today. We got permission to use a
> nice public meeting room at a hotel. They even said we can bring some
> kittens & puppies if they're caged. We got two newspapers to do a
> story. Got a cake donated. Even "registered" at Wal Mart and a couple
> of other farm supply stores, for things like bleach, litter, canned
> kitten food, paper towels, Frontline, collars, office supplies, just
> regular everyday needs.
>
> Now I'm panicking. It is ten days away. Now we're looking at each other
> and going "what now?" We need a good punch recipe. We need some ideas
> for cheap decorations. Party favors, maybe? Door prizes?
>
> I got some small paw-print cellophane bags, we were putting homemade
> oatmeal dog biscuits in them, tying up with ribbon for favors. But what
> about the cats? I don't know any self-respecting cat who would eat a
> free treat.
>
> Ideas are appreciated!!!
>
> Sherry

Karen AKA Kajikit
September 1st 05, 04:59 PM
On 1 Sep 2005 08:02:02 -0700, wrote:

>....more kittens and puppies, that is. We have so many litters and more
>are coming in. Kitten season isn't slowing down. That's why Angel still
>hasnt got a home.
>Anyway, I got this bright idea. I thought we could have a shower. You
>know, like a baby shower.
>I just can't physically help that much at the shelter, but I thought, I
>can do *this*, it won't be that hard.
>I made the invitations, sent them out today. We got permission to use a
>nice public meeting room at a hotel. They even said we can bring some
>kittens & puppies if they're caged. We got two newspapers to do a
>story. Got a cake donated. Even "registered" at Wal Mart and a couple
>of other farm supply stores, for things like bleach, litter, canned
>kitten food, paper towels, Frontline, collars, office supplies, just
>regular everyday needs.
>
>Now I'm panicking. It is ten days away. Now we're looking at each other
>and going "what now?" We need a good punch recipe. We need some ideas
>for cheap decorations. Party favors, maybe? Door prizes?
>
>I got some small paw-print cellophane bags, we were putting homemade
>oatmeal dog biscuits in them, tying up with ribbon for favors. But what
>about the cats? I don't know any self-respecting cat who would eat a
>free treat.
>
>Ideas are appreciated!!!

This is a great idea... as for the cats, know anyone who has a large
catnip garden and could donate a bunch of fresh nip? I know that Scout
and Silver's favourite toys are the 25c bouncy balls you get out of a
vending machine - maybe you could contact the distributor and see if
they'll donate a load?

--
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life

Exocat
September 1st 05, 05:25 PM
> wrote
> ....more kittens and puppies, that is. We have so many litters and
> more
> are coming in. Kitten season isn't slowing down. That's why Angel
> still
> hasnt got a home.
> Anyway, I got this bright idea. I thought we could have a shower. You
> know, like a baby shower.

Great idea. No suggestions, but purrs of support

Gordon & the FF

Melissa Houle
September 1st 05, 06:34 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> ....more kittens and puppies, that is. We have so many litters and more
> are coming in. Kitten season isn't slowing down. That's why Angel still
> hasnt got a home.
> Anyway, I got this bright idea. I thought we could have a shower. You
> know, like a baby shower.
> I just can't physically help that much at the shelter, but I thought, I
> can do *this*, it won't be that hard.
> I made the invitations, sent them out today. We got permission to use a
> nice public meeting room at a hotel. They even said we can bring some
> kittens & puppies if they're caged. We got two newspapers to do a
> story. Got a cake donated. Even "registered" at Wal Mart and a couple
> of other farm supply stores, for things like bleach, litter, canned
> kitten food, paper towels, Frontline, collars, office supplies, just
> regular everyday needs.
>
> Now I'm panicking. It is ten days away. Now we're looking at each other
> and going "what now?" We need a good punch recipe. We need some ideas
> for cheap decorations. Party favors, maybe? Door prizes?
>
> I got some small paw-print cellophane bags, we were putting homemade
> oatmeal dog biscuits in them, tying up with ribbon for favors. But what
> about the cats? I don't know any self-respecting cat who would eat a
> free treat.
>
> Ideas are appreciated!!!
>
> Sherry

Sounds like a great idea, Sherry, and a fun time for all. =o)
For punch ideas, you could try some of these fruit juice combinations:

Orange and Cranberry juices
Pineapple, Orange and Guava and/or mango Juices
Lemonade and limeade

If these combos seem blah on their own, seven-up or sprite could be added to
pep them up. If you really want to get fancy, you can also add a pint of
softened lemon, lime, pineapple or orange sherbet, as well. But the fruit
juices alone will probably be fine and easier on your budget.

I second the idea that toys would be a better choice of favors than treats
for the adoptable kittens and cats. And everyone loves to watch cats and
kittens at play. You could add such homemade "toys" as cardboard tubes
from used up TP rolls, as one never knows what will really appeal to a cat.
Nina also goes crazy over such sophisticated items as discarded plastic
drinking straws. She'll carry them from room to room and periodically flop
down and chew and bat the heck out of them.

Melissa

jmcquown
September 1st 05, 07:30 PM
wrote:
> ....more kittens and puppies, that is. We have so many litters and
> more are coming in. Kitten season isn't slowing down. That's why
> Angel still hasnt got a home.
> Anyway, I got this bright idea. I thought we could have a shower. You
> know, like a baby shower.
> Now I'm panicking. It is ten days away. Now we're looking at each
> other and going "what now?" We need a good punch recipe.

Combine 32 oz. chilled apple juice, 1 can frozen cranberry juice
concentrate, if you can find it, otherwise 12 fluid oz. chilled cranberry
juice and a cup of orange juice with a 1 liter bottle of ginger ale for a
"sparkling" punch. Lots of ice, of course, and maybe float some orange
slices on the top to make it look pretty :)

We need some
> ideas for cheap decorations. Party favors, maybe? Door prizes?

You should see if some area merchants will donate door prizes, like gift
certificates for restaurants, stuff like that.

> I got some small paw-print cellophane bags, we were putting homemade
> oatmeal dog biscuits in them, tying up with ribbon for favors. But
> what about the cats? I don't know any self-respecting cat who would
> eat a free treat.

LOL not unless you're handing out shrimpies! For inexpensive kitty toys,
maybe ping pong balls or those "whiffle" golf balls. Or maybe you can get a
deal on a batch of soft toy mousies.

> Ideas are appreciated!!!
>
> Sherry

Good luck with this... it's a great idea!

Jill

Monique Y. Mudama
September 1st 05, 10:56 PM
On 2005-09-01, penned:
> ....more kittens and puppies, that is. We have so many litters and more
> are coming in. Kitten season isn't slowing down. That's why Angel still
> hasnt got a home.
> Anyway, I got this bright idea. I thought we could have a shower. You
> know, like a baby shower.
> I just can't physically help that much at the shelter, but I thought, I
> can do *this*, it won't be that hard.

No ideas from me, but what a great idea you came up with! I love it.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Victor Martinez
September 2nd 05, 12:25 AM
wrote:
> Anyway, I got this bright idea. I thought we could have a shower. You
> know, like a baby shower.

It's a great idea!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam here:

September 2nd 05, 01:42 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the punch recipes. So much punch
is too sweet, but that one sounds really good.
Tomorrow I am going to the city to Paper Warehouse and a few other
places. Truth is, I'd much rather clean litter boxes than ask for
donations. I'm better at it. :-)
I guess I'll start mustering up courage and hit them up tomorrow.
Will keep you updated and take some pictures.
If you guys could all come, I'd bake you a Kitty Litter Cake. I don't
think the guests who will show up are quite the right stuff to take
that, like us!!
Thanks for the moral support.

Sherry

polonca12000
September 3rd 05, 01:11 PM
What a great idea, Sherry!
Lots of purrs and best wishes for everything to go really well,
--
Polonca & Soncek

oups.com...