PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Piercing Question

CatNipped
December 21st 05, 12:30 AM
OK, next Saturday it will be 3 weeks and I should be able to take out the
"placeholder" earrings and put regular earrings in. My question is, when
are your ears supposed to stop hurting? They're not hurting badly, but they
still hurt when I rotate the studs like they told me to. I'm still putting
alcohol on them morning and night, and they've never been red or swollen,
but they do still hurt. I would have thought they would have stopped
hurting by now, so I'm just wondering if this is normal.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Yoj
December 21st 05, 12:37 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> OK, next Saturday it will be 3 weeks and I should be able to take out the
> "placeholder" earrings and put regular earrings in. My question is, when
> are your ears supposed to stop hurting? They're not hurting badly, but
they
> still hurt when I rotate the studs like they told me to. I'm still
putting
> alcohol on them morning and night, and they've never been red or swollen,
> but they do still hurt. I would have thought they would have stopped
> hurting by now, so I'm just wondering if this is normal.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

I had mine done so many years ago I don't remember how long it hurt, but it
was definitely quite a while. One thing I found that helped - whenever I
put studs in, I would first stick the "stem" in the end of a tube of
Neosporin ointment. That made them go in easier and hurt less.

Joy

Monique Y. Mudama
December 21st 05, 12:44 AM
On 2005-12-21, CatNipped penned:
> OK, next Saturday it will be 3 weeks and I should be able to take
> out the "placeholder" earrings and put regular earrings in. My
> question is, when are your ears supposed to stop hurting? They're
> not hurting badly, but they still hurt when I rotate the studs like
> they told me to. I'm still putting alcohol on them morning and
> night, and they've never been red or swollen, but they do still
> hurt. I would have thought they would have stopped hurting by now,
> so I'm just wondering if this is normal.

I think it depends on the individual.

I had two in each ear as a teenager, but my ears were never happy. I
would get infections in the piercing holes every few weeks.
Eventually I stopped trying. I now wear earcuffs if I want the
effect. They're cool, but not to be found in regular jewelry stores.
And I still have the holes in my ears.

Anyway, you might try wearing only gold earrings, which as I
understand it are the least likely to cause reactions. It's been too
long since I got my ears pierced to remember how long it took for them
to heal up.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

jmcquown
December 21st 05, 12:49 AM
Yoj wrote:
> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> OK, next Saturday it will be 3 weeks and I should be able to take
>> out the "placeholder" earrings and put regular earrings in. My
>> question is, when are your ears supposed to stop hurting? They're
>> not hurting badly, but they still hurt when I rotate the studs like
>> they told me to. I'm still putting alcohol on them morning and
>> night, and they've never been red or swollen, but they do still
>> hurt. I would have thought they would have stopped hurting by now,
>> so I'm just wondering if this is normal.
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>
> I had mine done so many years ago I don't remember how long it hurt,
> but it was definitely quite a while. One thing I found that helped -
> whenever I put studs in, I would first stick the "stem" in the end of
> a tube of Neosporin ointment. That made them go in easier and hurt
> less.
>
> Joy

I don't recall, either. I pierced my own when I was about 15. They hurt
for a few days, I know that, and yes, I doused them with rubbing alcohol
daily and turned the 'self piercing' earrings (they were loops). It was
uncomfortable; they didn't get red or swollen (neither have CN's) but
neither did they ever get infected. I'd never heard of Neosporin in 1975...
not sure anyone else had, either ;)

Jill

Karen AKA Kajikit
December 21st 05, 01:55 AM
On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:30:08 -0600, "CatNipped"
> wrote:

>OK, next Saturday it will be 3 weeks and I should be able to take out the
>"placeholder" earrings and put regular earrings in. My question is, when
>are your ears supposed to stop hurting? They're not hurting badly, but they
>still hurt when I rotate the studs like they told me to. I'm still putting
>alcohol on them morning and night, and they've never been red or swollen,
>but they do still hurt. I would have thought they would have stopped
>hurting by now, so I'm just wondering if this is normal.

I don't remember my ears hurting at all when I first got them
pierced... but now they get sore if I wear the wrong earrings for
awhile, or if I forget to wear them at all and they try to close up...
keep spraying them with the antiseptic stuff and you should be okay. I
wear piercing studs in my ears most of the time because they don't
hurt and they're wide enough to hold my ears open - I got some pretty
pearl-ended ones to wear on Ebay.

--
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
December 21st 05, 02:27 AM
CatNipped wrote:

> OK, next Saturday it will be 3 weeks and I should be able to take out the
> "placeholder" earrings and put regular earrings in. My question is, when
> are your ears supposed to stop hurting? They're not hurting badly, but they
> still hurt when I rotate the studs like they told me to. I'm still putting
> alcohol on them morning and night, and they've never been red or swollen,
> but they do still hurt. I would have thought they would have stopped
> hurting by now, so I'm just wondering if this is normal.

It probably varies with the individual - I don't remember
them hurting at all, once the deed was done. (And only a
faint twinge in ONE earlobe, during the actual piercing.)

> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
December 21st 05, 02:29 AM
jmcquown wrote:

> Yoj wrote:
>
>>"CatNipped" > wrote in message
>>
>>>OK, next Saturday it will be 3 weeks and I should be able to take
>>>out the "placeholder" earrings and put regular earrings in. My
>>>question is, when are your ears supposed to stop hurting? They're
>>>not hurting badly, but they still hurt when I rotate the studs like
>>>they told me to. I'm still putting alcohol on them morning and
>>>night, and they've never been red or swollen, but they do still
>>>hurt. I would have thought they would have stopped hurting by now,
>>>so I'm just wondering if this is normal.
>>>
>>>Hugs,
>>>
>>>CatNipped
>>
>>I had mine done so many years ago I don't remember how long it hurt,
>>but it was definitely quite a while. One thing I found that helped -
>>whenever I put studs in, I would first stick the "stem" in the end of
>>a tube of Neosporin ointment. That made them go in easier and hurt
>>less.
>>
>>Joy
>

> I don't recall, either. I pierced my own when I was about 15. They hurt
> for a few days, I know that, and yes, I doused them with rubbing alcohol
> daily and turned the 'self piercing' earrings (they were loops). It was
> uncomfortable; they didn't get red or swollen (neither have CN's) but
> neither did they ever get infected. I'd never heard of Neosporin in 1975...
> not sure anyone else had, either ;)

But petroleum jelly (Vaseline) has been around for at least
a hundred years! People probably used that.

> Jill

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
December 21st 05, 02:33 AM
Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:30:08 -0600, "CatNipped"
> > wrote:
>

>>OK, next Saturday it will be 3 weeks and I should be able to take out the
>>"placeholder" earrings and put regular earrings in. My question is, when
>>are your ears supposed to stop hurting? They're not hurting badly, but they
>>still hurt when I rotate the studs like they told me to. I'm still putting
>>alcohol on them morning and night, and they've never been red or swollen,
>>but they do still hurt. I would have thought they would have stopped
>>hurting by now, so I'm just wondering if this is normal.
>

> I don't remember my ears hurting at all when I first got them
> pierced... but now they get sore if I wear the wrong earrings for
> awhile, or if I forget to wear them at all and they try to close up...
> keep spraying them with the antiseptic stuff and you should be okay. I
> wear piercing studs in my ears most of the time because they don't
> hurt and they're wide enough to hold my ears open - I got some pretty
> pearl-ended ones to wear on Ebay.

Mine will hurt by the end of the day/evening if I wear
earrings that are too heavy (I like big, dangly ones), but
I've had piereced ears for so long that I can go for WEEKS
without wearing earrings, and have no problem with the holes
trying to close over. (But then, I had mine pierced back in
the late 1960's.)

badwilson
December 21st 05, 03:37 AM
It's been so long since I had my ears pierced that I don't remember.
But I would not take out the placeholder earrings until it stops
hurting. The placeholder earrings are bigger and make sure you get a
nice proper big hole. You want it to be all healed up before taking
those out. After they stop hurting, start with only gold earrings for a
while and see how that goes before moving on to other materials.
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

CatNipped wrote:
> OK, next Saturday it will be 3 weeks and I should be able to take out
> the "placeholder" earrings and put regular earrings in. My question
> is, when are your ears supposed to stop hurting? They're not hurting
> badly, but they still hurt when I rotate the studs like they told me
> to. I'm still putting alcohol on them morning and night, and they've
> never been red or swollen, but they do still hurt. I would have
> thought they would have stopped hurting by now, so I'm just wondering
> if this is normal.
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Sandy
December 21st 05, 04:06 AM
When I got my ears pierced, they told me to leave the piercing earrings in
for 6 weeks. I had some stuff to put on them that had alcohol with some
kind of moisturizing stuff to help keep it from drying the skin too much.
As far as hurting, it definitely hurt when the piercing was done, but the
only other time I remember them hurting was when I decided not to wait the
whole 6 weeks and tried changing the earrings before that. (My uncle had
custom-made a pair for me and I wanted to wear them!)

As far as metals, 24K gold is good, so is surgical steel, and there's
something called niobium that's supposed to be even more hypoallergenic.
Niobium comes in different colors, too.

By the way, did you ever hear about the piercing parlor with a sign in the
window saying, "Our studs are sterile."?

Sandy

"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> OK, next Saturday it will be 3 weeks and I should be able to take out the
> "placeholder" earrings and put regular earrings in. My question is, when
> are your ears supposed to stop hurting? They're not hurting badly, but
> they still hurt when I rotate the studs like they told me to. I'm still
> putting alcohol on them morning and night, and they've never been red or
> swollen, but they do still hurt. I would have thought they would have
> stopped hurting by now, so I'm just wondering if this is normal.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Sandra
December 21st 05, 08:44 AM
Hi!

Years ago I was trained to do ear piercings. I have not done it for many
years but this is what I remember.

It was 6 weeks before you were supposed to take the first earrings out, not
3.

Advice was to bathe site twice daily with salted water to aid the healing.
(boil and cool water first). This helps.

Turn /twist earrings regularly with clean hands.

Some people take longer to heal than others, but conversly, some try to heal
over the earring that is there.

Some (inc me) can only ever wear gold. I had mine pierced 30 years ago and
can still not wear anything other than gold.

If showing signs of infection, redness, crusty discharge, see doctor. You do
not want infection.

Some people just cannot have piercings, will always heal over.

Site should not be painful or sore by now, but this may depend on where on
the ear piercing was done. As a rule ones on the lobes are ok, ones higher
up can be more uncomfortable due to more nerve endings.

I hope that was of use!

--
Sandra

CatNipped
December 21st 05, 01:44 PM
"Sandra" > wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> Years ago I was trained to do ear piercings. I have not done it for many
> years but this is what I remember.
>
> It was 6 weeks before you were supposed to take the first earrings out,
> not 3.
>
> Advice was to bathe site twice daily with salted water to aid the healing.
> (boil and cool water first). This helps.
>
> Turn /twist earrings regularly with clean hands.
>
> Some people take longer to heal than others, but conversly, some try to
> heal over the earring that is there.
>
> Some (inc me) can only ever wear gold. I had mine pierced 30 years ago and
> can still not wear anything other than gold.
>
> If showing signs of infection, redness, crusty discharge, see doctor. You
> do not want infection.
>
> Some people just cannot have piercings, will always heal over.
>
> Site should not be painful or sore by now, but this may depend on where on
> the ear piercing was done. As a rule ones on the lobes are ok, ones higher
> up can be more uncomfortable due to more nerve endings.
>
> I hope that was of use!
>
> --
> Sandra

I'd heard it was 6 weeks to heal also, but the girl at the piercing counter
told me 3. On further research on the 'net I see more people advising 6
weeks than 3. *SIGH* I'm so impatient, I want to wear the pretty earrings
I get for Christmas! But I'll wait - I'd rather be sure they won't close
up.

Thanks!

Hugs,

CatNipped

kilikini
December 21st 05, 01:46 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "Sandra" > wrote in message
>
> I'd heard it was 6 weeks to heal also, but the girl at the piercing
counter
> told me 3. On further research on the 'net I see more people advising 6
> weeks than 3. *SIGH* I'm so impatient, I want to wear the pretty
earrings
> I get for Christmas! But I'll wait - I'd rather be sure they won't close
> up.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

I remember, way back when, I got my ears pierced and I was *so* impatient to
wear my new earrings. LOL. Just hold on a little longer. You'll be fine!

kili

Enfilade
December 21st 05, 01:53 PM
> I'd heard it was 6 weeks to heal also, but the girl at the piercing counter
> told me 3. On further research on the 'net I see more people advising 6
> weeks than 3. *SIGH* I'm so impatient, I want to wear the pretty earrings
> I get for Christmas! But I'll wait - I'd rather be sure they won't close
> up.

Be thankful. Cartilege piercings can take up to six MONTHS to heal.

I had my earlobes pierced when I was six, so I'm not sure if the fact
that I found them tender for months after had to do with being young,
unfamiliar with the feeling of pulling a clasp off and taking the stud
out, and the fact that I had no interest in wearing other earrings (my
mom wanted it done so people would stop mistaking me for a boy, which
didn't work)

If you have trouble with infections, surgical grade stainless steel or
titanium are the best things to wear (better than gold).

My upper helix and nose piercing stopped hurting after two weeks, but
my other helix piercing was bitchy for months (I think I rumple my ear
there when I lie down.)

--Fil

kilikini
December 21st 05, 02:19 PM
"Enfilade" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> > I'd heard it was 6 weeks to heal also, but the girl at the piercing
counter
> > told me 3. On further research on the 'net I see more people advising 6
> > weeks than 3. *SIGH* I'm so impatient, I want to wear the pretty
earrings
> > I get for Christmas! But I'll wait - I'd rather be sure they won't
close
> > up.
>
> Be thankful. Cartilege piercings can take up to six MONTHS to heal.
>
> I had my earlobes pierced when I was six, so I'm not sure if the fact
> that I found them tender for months after had to do with being young,
> unfamiliar with the feeling of pulling a clasp off and taking the stud
> out, and the fact that I had no interest in wearing other earrings (my
> mom wanted it done so people would stop mistaking me for a boy, which
> didn't work)
>
> If you have trouble with infections, surgical grade stainless steel or
> titanium are the best things to wear (better than gold).
>
> My upper helix and nose piercing stopped hurting after two weeks, but
> my other helix piercing was bitchy for months (I think I rumple my ear
> there when I lie down.)
>
> --Fil

I've known quite a few people who couldn't even wear surgical steel and had
to *only* wear pure gold; anything else caused infection. I'm lucky that
I'm not in that category, but I never change my earrings anyway. I keep the
same ones in all the time. I love them.

kili

CatNipped
December 21st 05, 02:30 PM
"kilikini" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Enfilade" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> > I'd heard it was 6 weeks to heal also, but the girl at the piercing
> counter
>> > told me 3. On further research on the 'net I see more people advising
>> > 6
>> > weeks than 3. *SIGH* I'm so impatient, I want to wear the pretty
> earrings
>> > I get for Christmas! But I'll wait - I'd rather be sure they won't
> close
>> > up.
>>
>> Be thankful. Cartilege piercings can take up to six MONTHS to heal.
>>
>> I had my earlobes pierced when I was six, so I'm not sure if the fact
>> that I found them tender for months after had to do with being young,
>> unfamiliar with the feeling of pulling a clasp off and taking the stud
>> out, and the fact that I had no interest in wearing other earrings (my
>> mom wanted it done so people would stop mistaking me for a boy, which
>> didn't work)
>>
>> If you have trouble with infections, surgical grade stainless steel or
>> titanium are the best things to wear (better than gold).
>>
>> My upper helix and nose piercing stopped hurting after two weeks, but
>> my other helix piercing was bitchy for months (I think I rumple my ear
>> there when I lie down.)
>>
>> --Fil
>>

> I've known quite a few people who couldn't even wear surgical steel and
> had
> to *only* wear pure gold; anything else caused infection. I'm lucky that
> I'm not in that category, but I never change my earrings anyway. I keep
> the
> same ones in all the time. I love them.
>
> kili

I'm not prone to infections, but I am allergic to a lot of metals - the main
one being nickel, which is used as an alloy in gold jewelry (the higher the
carat the less nickel it has). 24-karat gold never bothers me, sometimes
14-karat gold does, and I can't ever wear 10-karat gold (which is why I
thought my ears might still be bothering me since I got earrings and
piercing for $20 and assumed it was 10-karat gold studs used even though
they claimed it was 14-karat).

Hugs,

CatNipped

kilikini
December 21st 05, 02:40 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >

> I'm not prone to infections, but I am allergic to a lot of metals - the
main
> one being nickel, which is used as an alloy in gold jewelry (the higher
the
> carat the less nickel it has). 24-karat gold never bothers me, sometimes
> 14-karat gold does, and I can't ever wear 10-karat gold (which is why I
> thought my ears might still be bothering me since I got earrings and
> piercing for $20 and assumed it was 10-karat gold studs used even though
> they claimed it was 14-karat).
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

You're allergic to Nickel! That explains it! I'm sorry, unfortunately,
you're going to most likely have issues with earrings. Can you wear rings
and necklaces without issues?

kili

Enfilade
December 21st 05, 02:44 PM

> You're allergic to Nickel! That explains it! I'm sorry, unfortunately,
> you're going to most likely have issues with earrings. Can you wear rings
> and necklaces without issues?

I'm also allergic to nickel. I have titanium glasses and five
piercings in stainless steel. I can wear good quality gold rings.

I buy earrings with stainless steel posts and I'm fine. If I buy cheap
earrings, though, I can only wear them for 5 or 6 hours before my ears
start to itch.

--Fil

CatNipped
December 21st 05, 02:49 PM
"kilikini" > wrote in message
. ..

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> "kilikini" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>> >

>> I'm not prone to infections, but I am allergic to a lot of metals - the
> main
>> one being nickel, which is used as an alloy in gold jewelry (the higher
> the
>> carat the less nickel it has). 24-karat gold never bothers me, sometimes
>> 14-karat gold does, and I can't ever wear 10-karat gold (which is why I
>> thought my ears might still be bothering me since I got earrings and
>> piercing for $20 and assumed it was 10-karat gold studs used even though
>> they claimed it was 14-karat).
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>>

> You're allergic to Nickel! That explains it! I'm sorry, unfortunately,
> you're going to most likely have issues with earrings. Can you wear rings
> and necklaces without issues?
>
> kili

Nope. I have a gold heart w/diamonds on a gold chain that DH gave me for
Valentine's Day many years ago, and I can only wear it for a few hours at a
time before I get an itchy rash on my neck. I figured, though, that I might
be able to wear earrings with surgical steel posts.

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped
December 21st 05, 02:51 PM
"Enfilade" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> You're allergic to Nickel! That explains it! I'm sorry, unfortunately,
>> you're going to most likely have issues with earrings. Can you wear
>> rings
>> and necklaces without issues?
>
> I'm also allergic to nickel. I have titanium glasses and five
> piercings in stainless steel. I can wear good quality gold rings.
>
> I buy earrings with stainless steel posts and I'm fine. If I buy cheap
> earrings, though, I can only wear them for 5 or 6 hours before my ears
> start to itch.
>
> --Fil

Yep, me too re the titanium glasses frames. And if I can get 24-karat gold
jewelry it doesn't give me problems - unfortunately 24-karat gold is very
soft and they can't make necklaces or bracelets out of it - they would break
too easily.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Denise VanDyke
December 21st 05, 05:41 PM
CatNipped wrote:
> "Enfilade" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>>You're allergic to Nickel! That explains it! I'm sorry, unfortunately,
>>>you're going to most likely have issues with earrings. Can you wear
>>>rings
>>>and necklaces without issues?
>>
>>I'm also allergic to nickel. I have titanium glasses and five
>>piercings in stainless steel. I can wear good quality gold rings.
>>
>>I buy earrings with stainless steel posts and I'm fine. If I buy cheap
>>earrings, though, I can only wear them for 5 or 6 hours before my ears
>>start to itch.
>>
>>--Fil
>

> Yep, me too re the titanium glasses frames. And if I can get 24-karat gold
> jewelry it doesn't give me problems - unfortunately 24-karat gold is very
> soft and they can't make necklaces or bracelets out of it - they would break
> too easily.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Try getting some all surgical steel, 14K (or better) gold, or other safe
metal earrings and replace the temporary studs. If your ears feel
better, there's nickel in the "14K" studs you were wearing. Have you
tried sterling silver? I find that works just as well for me as the
gold or surgical steel. And it's often less expensive!

- Denise Brennasmeowmy (who sometimes envies people who are not
sensitive to nickel)

Monique Y. Mudama
December 21st 05, 06:14 PM
On 2005-12-21, CatNipped penned:
> Nope. I have a gold heart w/diamonds on a gold chain that DH gave
> me for Valentine's Day many years ago, and I can only wear it for a
> few hours at a time before I get an itchy rash on my neck. I
> figured, though, that I might be able to wear earrings with surgical
> steel posts.

With a nickel allergy, I think you're going to have more trouble than
most.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Katrina
December 21st 05, 09:03 PM
On 2005-12-21 06:30:41 -0800, "CatNipped" > said:

> I'm not prone to infections, but I am allergic to a lot of metals - the
> main one being nickel, which is used as an alloy in gold jewelry (the
> higher the carat the less nickel it has). 24-karat gold never bothers
> me, sometimes 14-karat gold does, and I can't ever wear 10-karat gold
> (which is why I thought my ears might still be bothering me since I got
> earrings and piercing for $20 and assumed it was 10-karat gold studs
> used even though they claimed it was 14-karat)

As has been mentioned by others, stick with surgical steel or niobium
if at all possible... but you may also be able to wear sterling silver.
I'm allergic to nickel so most of my jewelery is sterling silver. I
have some earrings which are 24 carat gold plating on a sterling silver
base. Those are the only gold earrings I can wear with no problems at
all. Like you, I can get away with 14 carat gold at times, but 10 carat
is definitely a no-no. Sterling has never given me a problem. Even my
wedding ring is sterling silver.

Katrina

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
December 22nd 05, 03:10 AM
Sandra wrote:

> Site should not be painful or sore by now, but this may depend on where on
> the ear piercing was done. As a rule ones on the lobes are ok, ones higher
> up can be more uncomfortable due to more nerve endings.

Oh! Of course I was assuming the piercing was through the
earlobe, but I guess that's not a "given" nowadays,
considering some of the places people have pierced!