PDA

View Full Version : OUTSIDE DAYS ARE OVER.

December 24th 05, 05:27 AM
My indoor-outdoor cats just suddenly became strictly-indoor. Beginning
today.

We had our Christmas dinner today (nurses in the family have to work
Sat. & Sun.). Because of the hustle and bustle, it was later than usual
when DH started rounding them up and making them come inside. The sun
was barely down, but it wasn't dark yet.

He opened the back door and briefly said "Here, Kitty, Kitty", then
stopped. I heard him say in a low, controlled voice, 'I NEED YOUR
HELP." I could tell by his tone something was dreadfully wrong.

I looked out the back door and saw Bootsie, in full puffy-tailed
stance, doing this funny stiff-legged dance around the biggest skunk I
ever saw. I don't know *what* she thought she was doing. It looked for
all the world like she was challenging it. Or just picking on it.

We just stood there helplessly. "Here, Kitty, Kitty, Here Booty-girl".
She looked at us and kept dancing. I was afraid if I went to try to
retrieve her, we'd just make things go from bad to worse.

*Finally*, I guess she grew tired of the game, looked at us, and
trotted right in the back door. The skunk seemed relieved himself, and
immediately left the yard.

It just makes me sick to think about the worst-case scenario. At best,
we could have ended up with Bootsie in a bathtub of tomato juice all
night. At worst, she probably could have been injured very badly.

I don't think rabies is a consideration. The skunk was eating the bird
seed that falls out of the feeders. I think he just came to freeload a
meal and wasn't interested in a fight. Thank God.

I don't think anybody's going to care that they're grounded the rest of
the winter at the very least, except for Boots and Frank. They're going
to *hate* it. They're going to pester me to death to let them outside.
Guess they just better get used to it. Meowmie is solid on this one.

Sherry

Pat
December 24th 05, 05:54 AM
> wrote in

> I looked out the back door and saw Bootsie, in full puffy-tailed
> stance, doing this funny stiff-legged dance around the biggest skunk I
> ever saw.

I guess you didn't think to grab the camcorder in time?

mlbriggs
December 24th 05, 06:01 AM
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 21:27:03 -0800, sriddles wrote:

> My indoor-outdoor cats just suddenly became strictly-indoor. Beginning
> today.
>
> We had our Christmas dinner today (nurses in the family have to work
> Sat. & Sun.). Because of the hustle and bustle, it was later than usual
> when DH started rounding them up and making them come inside. The sun
> was barely down, but it wasn't dark yet.
>
> He opened the back door and briefly said "Here, Kitty, Kitty", then
> stopped. I heard him say in a low, controlled voice, 'I NEED YOUR
> HELP." I could tell by his tone something was dreadfully wrong.
>
> I looked out the back door and saw Bootsie, in full puffy-tailed
> stance, doing this funny stiff-legged dance around the biggest skunk I
> ever saw. I don't know *what* she thought she was doing. It looked for
> all the world like she was challenging it. Or just picking on it.
>
> We just stood there helplessly. "Here, Kitty, Kitty, Here Booty-girl".
> She looked at us and kept dancing. I was afraid if I went to try to
> retrieve her, we'd just make things go from bad to worse.
>
> *Finally*, I guess she grew tired of the game, looked at us, and
> trotted right in the back door. The skunk seemed relieved himself, and
> immediately left the yard.
>
> It just makes me sick to think about the worst-case scenario. At best,
> we could have ended up with Bootsie in a bathtub of tomato juice all
> night. At worst, she probably could have been injured very badly.
>
> I don't think rabies is a consideration. The skunk was eating the bird
> seed that falls out of the feeders. I think he just came to freeload a
> meal and wasn't interested in a fight. Thank God.
>
> I don't think anybody's going to care that they're grounded the rest of
> the winter at the very least, except for Boots and Frank. They're going
> to *hate* it. They're going to pester me to death to let them outside.
> Guess they just better get used to it. Meowmie is solid on this one.
>
> Sherry

If there is food to be had, the skunk will return. Good luck. MLB

December 24th 05, 06:15 AM
mlbriggs wrote:
> If there is food to be had, the skunk will return. Good luck. MLB

Yes, that's what I thought. The plan now is to move the bird feeders
way out back in the garden. I hate to do that, because I won't be able
to see the birds anymore. I don't ever leave garbage or cat food out
because I knew we had occasional oppossums.
I have a real problem with killing this animal though. The plan is to
just try to get the food source away from the house and hope it won't
come back. The cats will just have to stay inside whether they like it
or not.

Wayne Mitchell
December 24th 05, 01:34 PM
wrote:

>It just makes me sick to think about the worst-case scenario. At best,
>we could have ended up with Bootsie in a bathtub of tomato juice all
>night. At worst, she probably could have been injured very badly.
>
>I don't think rabies is a consideration. The skunk was eating the bird
>seed that falls out of the feeders. I think he just came to freeload a
>meal and wasn't interested in a fight. Thank God.
>
>I don't think anybody's going to care that they're grounded the rest of
>the winter at the very least, except for Boots and Frank. They're going
>to *hate* it. They're going to pester me to death to let them outside.
>Guess they just better get used to it. Meowmie is solid on this one.

Sherry,

There are, I'm sure you know, some good reasons to keep cats
indoors. I don't think this is one of them.

I grew up with outdoor cats on a farm where skunks were a common
sight, and I had indoor/outdoor cats for a dozen years at my
present location, while feeding birds -- and therefore, of
course, skunks. No cat in all my experience has ever been
sprayed by a skunk. Other cat people have reported the same
lack of incident. No doubt it can happen, but it must be
extremely rare.

(I hasten to add that I never saw one of the cats deliberately
teasing a skunk. But since their interactions take place mostly
after dark, it could well be fairly common.)

Skunks are very confident in their defensive abilities and are
not at all belligerent, so they are not trigger happy at all,
and I guess they don't see cats as much of a threat. If your
indoor/outdoor kitties are current on their rabies shots, I
don't think you need to keep them in for fear of skunks.

--

Wayne M
(indulged by Will and Heidi)

whayface
December 24th 05, 02:10 PM
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 23:54:45 -0600, "Pat" > wrote:

>> I looked out the back door and saw Bootsie, in full puffy-tailed
>> stance, doing this funny stiff-legged dance around the biggest skunk I
>> ever saw.
>
>I guess you didn't think to grab the camcorder in time?

Now that would have been cute !!!!

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

Nanny
December 24th 05, 02:12 PM
Wayne's right, the skunks would have to be very frightened by the cats to
spray, and even then they'd stomp first. Spraying really is their very last
resource.

Nanny

"Wayne Mitchell" > schreef in bericht
> wrote:
>
>>It just makes me sick to think about the worst-case scenario. At best,
>>we could have ended up with Bootsie in a bathtub of tomato juice all
>>night. At worst, she probably could have been injured very badly.
>>
>>I don't think rabies is a consideration. The skunk was eating the bird
>>seed that falls out of the feeders. I think he just came to freeload a
>>meal and wasn't interested in a fight. Thank God.
>>
>>I don't think anybody's going to care that they're grounded the rest of
>>the winter at the very least, except for Boots and Frank. They're going
>>to *hate* it. They're going to pester me to death to let them outside.
>>Guess they just better get used to it. Meowmie is solid on this one.
>
> Sherry,
>
> There are, I'm sure you know, some good reasons to keep cats
> indoors. I don't think this is one of them.
>
> I grew up with outdoor cats on a farm where skunks were a common
> sight, and I had indoor/outdoor cats for a dozen years at my
> present location, while feeding birds -- and therefore, of
> course, skunks. No cat in all my experience has ever been
> sprayed by a skunk. Other cat people have reported the same
> lack of incident. No doubt it can happen, but it must be
> extremely rare.
>
> (I hasten to add that I never saw one of the cats deliberately
> teasing a skunk. But since their interactions take place mostly
> after dark, it could well be fairly common.)
>
> Skunks are very confident in their defensive abilities and are
> not at all belligerent, so they are not trigger happy at all,
> and I guess they don't see cats as much of a threat. If your
> indoor/outdoor kitties are current on their rabies shots, I
> don't think you need to keep them in for fear of skunks.
>
> --
>
> Wayne M
> (indulged by Will and Heidi)

whayface
December 24th 05, 02:17 PM
On 23 Dec 2005 22:15:11 -0800, wrote:

>I have a real problem with killing this animal though. The plan is to
>just try to get the food source away from the house and hope it won't
>come back. The cats will just have to stay inside whether they like it
>or not.

I really applaud you for this. A life is a life whatever it is and they are just probably
looking for food also. My mother-in-law has killed a lot of ossums just because they come
around looking for food this winter. I tryed to get her to think of it as one of her cats
out there trying to stay alive and looking for food. Would she kill it ?!?!? I finally
got her to stop.

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

jmcquown
December 24th 05, 03:27 PM
wrote:
> My indoor-outdoor cats just suddenly became strictly-indoor. Beginning
> today.
>
> We had our Christmas dinner today (nurses in the family have to work
> Sat. & Sun.). Because of the hustle and bustle, it was later than
> usual when DH started rounding them up and making them come inside.
> The sun was barely down, but it wasn't dark yet.
>
> He opened the back door and briefly said "Here, Kitty, Kitty", then
> stopped. I heard him say in a low, controlled voice, 'I NEED YOUR
> HELP." I could tell by his tone something was dreadfully wrong.
>
> I looked out the back door and saw Bootsie, in full puffy-tailed
> stance, doing this funny stiff-legged dance around the biggest skunk I
> ever saw. I don't know *what* she thought she was doing. It looked
> for all the world like she was challenging it. Or just picking on it.
>
> We just stood there helplessly. "Here, Kitty, Kitty, Here Booty-girl".
> She looked at us and kept dancing. I was afraid if I went to try to
> retrieve her, we'd just make things go from bad to worse.
>
> *Finally*, I guess she grew tired of the game, looked at us, and
> trotted right in the back door. The skunk seemed relieved himself, and
> immediately left the yard.
>
> It just makes me sick to think about the worst-case scenario. At best,
> we could have ended up with Bootsie in a bathtub of tomato juice all
> night. At worst, she probably could have been injured very badly.
>
> I don't think rabies is a consideration. The skunk was eating the bird
> seed that falls out of the feeders. I think he just came to freeload a
> meal and wasn't interested in a fight. Thank God.
>
> I don't think anybody's going to care that they're grounded the rest
> of the winter at the very least, except for Boots and Frank. They're
> going to *hate* it. They're going to pester me to death to let them
> outside. Guess they just better get used to it. Meowmie is solid on
> this one.
>
> Sherry

Thank you for deciding to keep her indoors!

Jill

CatNipped
December 24th 05, 03:46 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My indoor-outdoor cats just suddenly became strictly-indoor. Beginning
> today.
>
> We had our Christmas dinner today (nurses in the family have to work
> Sat. & Sun.). Because of the hustle and bustle, it was later than usual
> when DH started rounding them up and making them come inside. The sun
> was barely down, but it wasn't dark yet.
>
> He opened the back door and briefly said "Here, Kitty, Kitty", then
> stopped. I heard him say in a low, controlled voice, 'I NEED YOUR
> HELP." I could tell by his tone something was dreadfully wrong.
>
> I looked out the back door and saw Bootsie, in full puffy-tailed
> stance, doing this funny stiff-legged dance around the biggest skunk I
> ever saw. I don't know *what* she thought she was doing. It looked for
> all the world like she was challenging it. Or just picking on it.
>
> We just stood there helplessly. "Here, Kitty, Kitty, Here Booty-girl".
> She looked at us and kept dancing. I was afraid if I went to try to
> retrieve her, we'd just make things go from bad to worse.
>
> *Finally*, I guess she grew tired of the game, looked at us, and
> trotted right in the back door. The skunk seemed relieved himself, and
> immediately left the yard.
>
> It just makes me sick to think about the worst-case scenario. At best,
> we could have ended up with Bootsie in a bathtub of tomato juice all
> night. At worst, she probably could have been injured very badly.
>
> I don't think rabies is a consideration. The skunk was eating the bird
> seed that falls out of the feeders. I think he just came to freeload a
> meal and wasn't interested in a fight. Thank God.
>
> I don't think anybody's going to care that they're grounded the rest of
> the winter at the very least, except for Boots and Frank. They're going
> to *hate* it. They're going to pester me to death to let them outside.
> Guess they just better get used to it. Meowmie is solid on this one.
>
> Sherry

Well, I think it's best to keep cats indoors for any number of reasons, but
this one will do! ;>

Good luck - I know it can be done because I've heard people say they keep
former ferals indoors (some who never want to set paw outside again, some
who try to escape every chance they're given).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Pat
December 24th 05, 04:29 PM
"Wayne Mitchell" > wrote

> There are, I'm sure you know, some good reasons to keep cats
> indoors. I don't think this is one of them.
>
> I grew up with outdoor cats on a farm where skunks were a common
> sight, and I had indoor/outdoor cats for a dozen years at my
> present location, while feeding birds -- and therefore, of
> course, skunks. No cat in all my experience has ever been
> sprayed by a skunk. Other cat people have reported the same
> lack of incident. No doubt it can happen, but it must be
> extremely rare.
>
> (I hasten to add that I never saw one of the cats deliberately
> teasing a skunk. But since their interactions take place mostly
> after dark, it could well be fairly common.)
>
> Skunks are very confident in their defensive abilities and are
> not at all belligerent, so they are not trigger happy at all,
> and I guess they don't see cats as much of a threat. If your
> indoor/outdoor kitties are current on their rabies shots, I
> don't think you need to keep them in for fear of skunks.

I'll agree with Wayne on this score, Sherry. Skunks are all around me, too,
and have been co-existing with my cats for years wholly without incident.
We've even had them come in the house through the cat door, help itself to
some catfood and then go to sleep in a closet.

cybercat
December 24th 05, 04:38 PM
"Pat" > wrote :

> > Skunks are very confident in their defensive abilities and are
> > not at all belligerent, so they are not trigger happy at all,
> > and I guess they don't see cats as much of a threat. If your
> > indoor/outdoor kitties are current on their rabies shots, I
> > don't think you need to keep them in for fear of skunks.
>
> I'll agree with Wayne on this score, Sherry. Skunks are all around me,
too,
> and have been co-existing with my cats for years wholly without incident.
> We've even had them come in the house through the cat door, help itself to
> some catfood and then go to sleep in a closet.

How is Abelard today? I wonder how his tail got broken. He has
to be in a lot of pain. Poor sweet boy.

Pat
December 24th 05, 05:14 PM
"cybercat" > wrote

>> > Skunks are very confident in their defensive abilities and are
>> > not at all belligerent, so they are not trigger happy at all,
>> > and I guess they don't see cats as much of a threat. If your
>> > indoor/outdoor kitties are current on their rabies shots, I
>> > don't think you need to keep them in for fear of skunks.
>>
>> I'll agree with Wayne on this score, Sherry. Skunks are all around me,
> too,
>> and have been co-existing with my cats for years wholly without incident.
>> We've even had them come in the house through the cat door, help itself
>> some catfood and then go to sleep in a closet.
>>
> How is Abelard today? I wonder how his tail got broken. He has
> to be in a lot of pain. Poor sweet boy.

My tendency is to blame the horses, I can't imagine how else something like
this could have happened. He's a smart cat in most respects but I'll never
forget one time when I had a mare in the yard and he let her step on his
foot. He screamed, nothing was broken, but you'd think that would have been
enough to teach him to stay out from under a horse.

Helen Miles
December 24th 05, 06:08 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message

> Good luck - I know it can be done because I've heard people say they keep
> former ferals indoors (some who never want to set paw outside again, some
> who try to escape every chance they're given).///

Pandora, my feral, likes to sit under the bush just outside my backdoor.
That's as far as she goes, and if she thinks there is *ANY* chance of
her being left outside she's in through the door like greased
lightening. She'll only go out on a summers day when the temperature is
well above 15 degrees centigrade! The rest of the time she's curled up
in bed!

So much for being a tough feral!

Helen M

Christina Websell
December 24th 05, 06:46 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Pat" > wrote :
<snip>

> How is Abelard today? I wonder how his tail got broken.

It's academic how his tail got broken, he is an indoor/outdoor cat.
Although I am sure we would all like to to know! Pat seems to think he
might have fallen foul of the horses, which is possible.

> He has to be in a lot of pain. Poor sweet boy.

No doubt he is, and no doubt that Pat will deal with it appropriately too.

Tweed

cybercat
December 24th 05, 07:46 PM
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Pat" > wrote :
> <snip>
> >
> > How is Abelard today? I wonder how his tail got broken.
>
> It's academic how his tail got broken, he is an indoor/outdoor cat.
> Although I am sure we would all like to to know! Pat seems to think he
> might have fallen foul of the horses, which is possible.
>
> > He has to be in a lot of pain. Poor sweet boy.
>
> No doubt he is, and no doubt that Pat will deal with it appropriately too.

Into my killfile you and that ridiculous chip on your shoulder go.

And Merry, merry Christmas! It sounds like you need one. :)

December 25th 05, 01:48 AM
Pat > wrote:

> I'll agree with Wayne on this score, Sherry. Skunks are all around me, too,
> and have been co-existing with my cats for years wholly without incident.

Now dogs are another matter altogether. I'll never forget the night my
dog got sprayed by a skunk, and then came inside. The whole house smelled
for days. I couldn't sleep, it was so bad!

On the other hand, it was just that one time, so I guess she learned
her lesson.

(Note: this was when I was a teenager, before leash laws. Probably not
a big problem for people who don't let their dogs run loose!)

Joyce

December 25th 05, 02:44 AM
cybercat wrote:

> Into my killfile you and that ridiculous chip on your shoulder go.

"You so studly with that killfile. :') Meanwhile, killfiles are for
people who lack the self-control to simply pass over what they
don't want to read. I never use them, but I understand why a
twit like you does. "
-- MaryS./Topaz/cybercat/Lumpy, Jan 21, 2005

BTW - was it a lobotomy you went away to have recently?
-L.

Pat
December 25th 05, 03:35 AM
> wrote

> Now dogs are another matter altogether. I'll never forget the night my
> dog got sprayed by a skunk, and then came inside. The whole house smelled
> for days. I couldn't sleep, it was so bad!
>
> On the other hand, it was just that one time, so I guess she learned
> her lesson.

You have a smart dog. Most never learn to avoid skunks or porcupines. Some
of my past dogs were known to come home with a snootful of quills several
times in a row.

cybercat
December 25th 05, 04:02 AM
"Pat" > wrote in message

> > wrote
>
> > Now dogs are another matter altogether. I'll never forget the night my
> > dog got sprayed by a skunk, and then came inside. The whole house
smelled
> > for days. I couldn't sleep, it was so bad!
> >
> > On the other hand, it was just that one time, so I guess she learned
> > her lesson.
>
> You have a smart dog. Most never learn to avoid skunks or porcupines. Some
> of my past dogs were known to come home with a snootful of quills several
> times in a row.

Growing up, our dogs would chase anything that moved.

cybercat
December 25th 05, 05:26 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
> >
> > Into my killfile you and that ridiculous chip on your shoulder go.
> >

> "You so studly with that killfile. :') Meanwhile, killfiles are for
> people who lack the self-control to simply pass over what they
> don't want to read. I never use them, but I understand why a
> twit like you does. "
> -- MaryS./Topaz/cybercat/Lumpy, Jan 21, 2005
>
> BTW - was it a lobotomy you went away to have recently?
> -L.

Healthy living things grow and change all the time.

I am not surprised that you do not know this.

Meanwhile, it is Christmas Eve and you have a little child.

And you are poring over the Google Usenet archives trying
to score a "gotcha" with a stranger. WTF?

Crawl out of your own ass and think, Lyn.

Just think.

Try for something called "perspective."

December 25th 05, 04:49 PM
Wayne Mitchell wrote:
> wrote:
>
> >It just makes me sick to think about the worst-case scenario. At best,
> >we could have ended up with Bootsie in a bathtub of tomato juice all
> >night. At worst, she probably could have been injured very badly.
> >
> >I don't think rabies is a consideration. The skunk was eating the bird
> >seed that falls out of the feeders. I think he just came to freeload a
> >meal and wasn't interested in a fight. Thank God.
> >
> >I don't think anybody's going to care that they're grounded the rest of
> >the winter at the very least, except for Boots and Frank. They're going
> >to *hate* it. They're going to pester me to death to let them outside.
> >Guess they just better get used to it. Meowmie is solid on this one.
>
> Sherry,
>
> There are, I'm sure you know, some good reasons to keep cats
> indoors. I don't think this is one of them.
>
> I grew up with outdoor cats on a farm where skunks were a common
> sight, and I had indoor/outdoor cats for a dozen years at my
> present location, while feeding birds -- and therefore, of
> course, skunks. No cat in all my experience has ever been
> sprayed by a skunk. Other cat people have reported the same
> lack of incident. No doubt it can happen, but it must be
> extremely rare.
>
> (I hasten to add that I never saw one of the cats deliberately
> teasing a skunk. But since their interactions take place mostly
> after dark, it could well be fairly common.)
>
> Skunks are very confident in their defensive abilities and are
> not at all belligerent, so they are not trigger happy at all,
> and I guess they don't see cats as much of a threat. If your
> indoor/outdoor kitties are current on their rabies shots, I
> don't think you need to keep them in for fear of skunks.
>
> --
>
> Wayne M

Good info, Wayne. I have been getting some baleful looks from the back
door for the last day but so far they're not too insistant. First warm
day and I bet they are. May in the a.m. hours they'll be okay to go
out if they throw too much of a tantrum.
I just can't wrap my brain around what would happen if Boots got
sprayed. She'd have to live in the garage till it wore off. I don't
think the others would bother it, but she would.
I think it is so fascinating how even wildlife have "personalities" of
a sort. Not the right word, but when you learn their ways/habits, you
can fairly predict their behavior. Like what you said about them not
being belligerant, the way badgers are.

Sherry

-L.
December 25th 05, 06:54 PM
cybercat wrote:
> I am not surprised that you do not know this.
>
> Meanwhile, it is Christmas Eve and you have a little child.
>
> And you are poring over the Google Usenet archives trying
> to score a "gotcha" with a stranger. WTF?

Nope, somebody sent it to me. I have elves. :) Besides, I hate to
break it to your small brain but just because YOU, apparently,
hypocritically celebrate it, Christmas isn't everyone's Holiday. Get
it?

> Crawl out of your own ass and think, Lyn.
>
> Just think.
>
> Try for something called "perspective."

That's a laugh coming from YOU. Miss Call The Cops Over A NG ****ing
War.

-L.

jmcquown
December 25th 05, 10:43 PM
wrote:
> My indoor-outdoor cats just suddenly became strictly-indoor. Beginning
> today.
>
> We had our Christmas dinner today (nurses in the family have to work
> Sat. & Sun.). Because of the hustle and bustle, it was later than
> usual when DH started rounding them up and making them come inside.
> The sun was barely down, but it wasn't dark yet.
>
> He opened the back door and briefly said "Here, Kitty, Kitty", then
> stopped. I heard him say in a low, controlled voice, 'I NEED YOUR
> HELP." I could tell by his tone something was dreadfully wrong.
>
> I looked out the back door and saw Bootsie, in full puffy-tailed
> stance, doing this funny stiff-legged dance around the biggest skunk I
> ever saw. I don't know *what* she thought she was doing. It looked
> for all the world like she was challenging it. Or just picking on it.

Skunks are nothing to mess around with... think about giving a cat a bath,
then think about trying to rid the cat of the scent of a skunk... um... oh.
My! You did the right thing in letting Bootsie grow tired of the game.

Jill

Dan M
December 27th 05, 07:42 PM
> If your cat, or any d*gs etc, do get sprayed, don't use tomato juice: it
> doesn't work.

I can testify to the accuracy of that. Many years ago a skunk got my
Australian Shepard and I tried the tomato juice bath idea. I ended up with
a pink Australian Shepard that smelled like a skunk.

Yoj
December 27th 05, 08:41 PM
Thanks for this recipe. I'm saving it. I've never seen a skunk around
here, but I get a whiff occasionally, and I have two indoor-outdoor cats.

--
Joy

**Don't believe everything you think**

"Martha" > wrote in message

> > I looked out the back door and saw Bootsie, in full puffy-tailed
> > stance, doing this funny stiff-legged dance around the biggest skunk I
> > ever saw.
>
> If your cat, or any d*gs etc, do get sprayed, don't use tomato juice: it
> doesn't work.
>

> A SOLUTION TO SKUNK POLLUTION from Radar, Hula Hoops, and Flying Pigs
>
> Skunk secretion certainly smelled like a mixture of sodium sulfide and
> an acid. Such a concoction releases hydrogen sulfide, which accounts for
> the classic reek of rotten eggs and stink bombs, a smell potent enough
> to drive away any living creature, and quickly. Which, of course, is
> exactly what the skunk has in mind when it lets loose from the little
> scent glands situated on either side of its rectum. ....
>
> Here is the magic formula: take one liter of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
> (available at most pharmacies), add one-quarter cup of baking soda and
> one teaspoon of liquid dishwashing detergent, wash the cat or dog (or
> child) with this mixture, and rinse with lots of water. Presto! Skunk
> smell is almost completely eliminated. Permanently.

Caroline S.
December 28th 05, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the recipe Martha! Some may recall that Pippin got sprayed
this past May by a skunk. I popped him over to TEDs for a bath. No way
was I going to handle that one on my own! I got rid of the smell in
the house (fortunately he hadn't been inside very long before we
figured out the source of the smell) by spraying the carpets with
almost full strength vinegar.

He's pretty smart, so hopefully it will NOT happen ever again.

-Caroline S.