PDA

View Full Version : Purrs Please! [OT]

CatNipped
December 27th 05, 02:12 AM
I mentioned a few weeks back that I had two root canals (I had to go to the
oral surgeon because I have crooked roots). When the oral surgeon was
removing a root he broke off the end of a file in my tooth and left it
there. He told me that he had already rinsed the root out twice with bleach
so it probably wouldn't give me any trouble, but that if I did have any
trouble I could come back and he would fix it for free (OK, if it was
fixable why didn't he just fix it then - I'm guessing it's because he had
already been working on me for 4 hours and had another appointment). I have
not had any problems with it until today when that tooth started hurting.

What I don't get is this - when I went to my regular dentist to have the
temporary filling replaced with a permanent filling on that tooth (until I
can afford to get the crowns done), he didn't even give me a shot of
Novocain before he started drilling since the root was gone. So why am I
now in pain, what is hurting?

Anyway, purrs that the pain goes away would be greatly appreciated. Even if
I don't have to pay for more work on the tooth, I don't want to go through
any more oral surgery (and I *would* have to pay my regular dentist to re-do
the permanent filling if the oral surgeon has to drill it out again - and
why can't the oral surgeon put in a permanent filling instead of a temporary
one???).

Oh well! Such is life - at least my life!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Yoj
December 27th 05, 02:47 AM
Purrs are on the way.

--
Joy

**Don't believe everything you think**

"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> I mentioned a few weeks back that I had two root canals (I had to go to
the
> oral surgeon because I have crooked roots). When the oral surgeon was
> removing a root he broke off the end of a file in my tooth and left it
> there. He told me that he had already rinsed the root out twice with
bleach
> so it probably wouldn't give me any trouble, but that if I did have any
> trouble I could come back and he would fix it for free (OK, if it was
> fixable why didn't he just fix it then - I'm guessing it's because he had
> already been working on me for 4 hours and had another appointment). I
have
> not had any problems with it until today when that tooth started hurting.
>
> What I don't get is this - when I went to my regular dentist to have the
> temporary filling replaced with a permanent filling on that tooth (until I
> can afford to get the crowns done), he didn't even give me a shot of
> Novocain before he started drilling since the root was gone. So why am I
> now in pain, what is hurting?
>
> Anyway, purrs that the pain goes away would be greatly appreciated. Even
if
> I don't have to pay for more work on the tooth, I don't want to go through
> any more oral surgery (and I *would* have to pay my regular dentist to
re-do
> the permanent filling if the oral surgeon has to drill it out again - and
> why can't the oral surgeon put in a permanent filling instead of a
temporary
> one???).
>
> Oh well! Such is life - at least my life!!
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Pat
December 27th 05, 02:52 AM
Pain-easement purrs en route. Also a suggestion: a few drops of kava kave
tincture dribbled on the tooth will temporarily numb it. You can repeat the
treatment as often as needed.

CatNipped
December 27th 05, 03:01 AM
"Pat" > wrote in message
> Pain-easement purrs en route. Also a suggestion: a few drops of kava kave
> tincture dribbled on the tooth will temporarily numb it. You can repeat
> the treatment as often as needed.

Kava kave??! What is that and where would I get it?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Pat
December 27th 05, 03:08 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote

> Kava kave??! What is that and where would I get it?

Sorry, I misspelled it, it's kava kava. It's a root that grows in the
tropics. Most larger health food stores stock the tincture or extract in
liquid form. If you're near a Wild Oats or Whole Foods or Trader Joe's,
someplace like that, you should find it there. Call first to be sure so you
don't waste gas.

Pat
December 27th 05, 03:10 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote

> Kava kave??! What is that and where would I get it?

Sorry, I misspelled it, it's kava kava. It's a root that grows in the
tropics. Most larger health food stores stock the tincture or extract in
liquid form. If you're near a Wild Oats or Whole Foods or Trader Joe's,
someplace like that, you should find it there. Call first to be sure so you
don't waste gas.

I've used it in dental situations including as a numbing agent prior to
getting an injection of lidocaine instead of that icky sweet stuff they swab
onto the gum and could not feel the needle. Most common use is to calm the
nerves without making you sleepy. That helps when driving to the dentist
too!

Irulan
December 27th 05, 03:14 AM
ah, dental work is never fun. We will purr and pray that you don't have to
go through anymore unnecessary work and that the pain goes away real soon.
But go to the dentist right away if the tooth still keeps hurting!
Lily & her mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
>I mentioned a few weeks back that I had two root canals (I had to go to the
>oral surgeon because I have crooked roots). When the oral surgeon was
>removing a root he broke off the end of a file in my tooth and left it
>there. He told me that he had already rinsed the root out twice with
>bleach so it probably wouldn't give me any trouble, but that if I did have
>any trouble I could come back and he would fix it for free (OK, if it was
>fixable why didn't he just fix it then - I'm guessing it's because he had
>already been working on me for 4 hours and had another appointment). I
>have not had any problems with it until today when that tooth started
>hurting.
>
> What I don't get is this - when I went to my regular dentist to have the
> temporary filling replaced with a permanent filling on that tooth (until I
> can afford to get the crowns done), he didn't even give me a shot of
> Novocain before he started drilling since the root was gone. So why am I
> now in pain, what is hurting?
>
> Anyway, purrs that the pain goes away would be greatly appreciated. Even
> if I don't have to pay for more work on the tooth, I don't want to go
> through any more oral surgery (and I *would* have to pay my regular
> dentist to re-do the permanent filling if the oral surgeon has to drill it
> out again - and why can't the oral surgeon put in a permanent filling
> instead of a temporary one???).
>
> Oh well! Such is life - at least my life!!
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Sam Nash
December 27th 05, 04:34 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
>I mentioned a few weeks back that I had two root canals (I had to go to the
>oral surgeon because I have crooked roots). When the oral surgeon was
>removing a root he broke off the end of a file in my tooth and left it
>there. He told me that he had already rinsed the root out twice with
>bleach so it probably wouldn't give me any trouble, but that if I did have
>any trouble I could come back and he would fix it for free (OK, if it was
>fixable why didn't he just fix it then - I'm guessing it's because he had
>already been working on me for 4 hours and had another appointment). I
>have not had any problems with it until today when that tooth started
>hurting.
>
> What I don't get is this - when I went to my regular dentist to have the
> temporary filling replaced with a permanent filling on that tooth (until I
> can afford to get the crowns done), he didn't even give me a shot of
> Novocain before he started drilling since the root was gone. So why am I
> now in pain, what is hurting?
>
> Anyway, purrs that the pain goes away would be greatly appreciated. Even
> if I don't have to pay for more work on the tooth, I don't want to go
> through any more oral surgery (and I *would* have to pay my regular
> dentist to re-do the permanent filling if the oral surgeon has to drill it
> out again - and why can't the oral surgeon put in a permanent filling
> instead of a temporary one???).
>
> Oh well! Such is life - at least my life!!
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
Dental pain relief purrs in mega-doses are on the way!
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe

wafflycat
December 27th 05, 07:30 AM
Purrs on the way. Sounds to me that there's a possibility you're developing
an infection which could abscess...

Festive cheers, helen s

wafflycat
December 27th 05, 07:30 AM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "Pat" > wrote in message
>> Pain-easement purrs en route. Also a suggestion: a few drops of kava kave
>> tincture dribbled on the tooth will temporarily numb it. You can repeat
>> the treatment as often as needed.
>
> Kava kave??! What is that and where would I get it?
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Clove oil has same effect. Over here in UK easily obtained OTC in any
pharmacy.

Cheers, helen s

polonca12000
December 27th 05, 10:03 AM
Please go see the dentist, this is serious, CN!
Best wishes and purrs for everything to go really well,
Polonca and Soncek

CatNipped wrote:
> I mentioned a few weeks back that I had two root canals (I had to go to the
> oral surgeon because I have crooked roots). When the oral surgeon was
> removing a root he broke off the end of a file in my tooth and left it
> there. He told me that he had already rinsed the root out twice with bleach
> so it probably wouldn't give me any trouble, but that if I did have any
> trouble I could come back and he would fix it for free (OK, if it was
> fixable why didn't he just fix it then - I'm guessing it's because he had
> already been working on me for 4 hours and had another appointment). I have
> not had any problems with it until today when that tooth started hurting.
>
> What I don't get is this - when I went to my regular dentist to have the
> temporary filling replaced with a permanent filling on that tooth (until I
> can afford to get the crowns done), he didn't even give me a shot of
> Novocain before he started drilling since the root was gone. So why am I
> now in pain, what is hurting?
>
> Anyway, purrs that the pain goes away would be greatly appreciated. Even if
> I don't have to pay for more work on the tooth, I don't want to go through
> any more oral surgery (and I *would* have to pay my regular dentist to re-do
> the permanent filling if the oral surgeon has to drill it out again - and
> why can't the oral surgeon put in a permanent filling instead of a temporary
> one???).
>
> Oh well! Such is life - at least my life!!
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Adrian
December 27th 05, 01:08 PM
CatNipped wrote:
> I mentioned a few weeks back that I had two root canals (I had to go
> to the oral surgeon because I have crooked roots). When the oral
> surgeon was removing a root he broke off the end of a file in my
> tooth and left it there. He told me that he had already rinsed the
> root out twice with bleach so it probably wouldn't give me any
> trouble, but that if I did have any trouble I could come back and he
> would fix it for free (OK, if it was fixable why didn't he just fix
> it then - I'm guessing it's because he had already been working on me
> for 4 hours and had another appointment). I have not had any
> problems with it until today when that tooth started hurting.
>
> What I don't get is this - when I went to my regular dentist to have
> the temporary filling replaced with a permanent filling on that tooth
> (until I can afford to get the crowns done), he didn't even give me a
> shot of Novocain before he started drilling since the root was gone.
> So why am I now in pain, what is hurting?
>
> Anyway, purrs that the pain goes away would be greatly appreciated.
> Even if I don't have to pay for more work on the tooth, I don't want
> to go through any more oral surgery (and I *would* have to pay my
> regular dentist to re-do the permanent filling if the oral surgeon
> has to drill it out again - and why can't the oral surgeon put in a
> permanent filling instead of a temporary one???).
>
> Oh well! Such is life - at least my life!!
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Dental purrs on the way, I hope you're soon pain free.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

MatSav
December 27th 05, 05:04 PM
On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 21:10:32 -0600, "Pat" >
wrote:

>"CatNipped" > wrote
>
>> Kava kave??! What is that and where would I get it?
>
>Sorry, I misspelled it, it's kava kava.

There was a Watchdog programme item broadcast recently on the BBC.
Kava has been banned from sale in the UK:

http://www.besttreatments.co.uk/btuk/conditions/9978.html

and, from the Food Standards Agency archive:

http://www.food.gov.uk/news/newsarchive/2002/jul/82222

You might want to check with the FDA, if you're in the USA.

December 27th 05, 06:04 PM
On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 20:12:36 -0600, "CatNipped"
> wrote:

>I mentioned a few weeks back that I had two root canals (I had to go to the
>oral surgeon because I have crooked roots). When the oral surgeon was
>removing a root he broke off the end of a file in my tooth and left it
>there. He told me that he had already rinsed the root out twice with bleach
>so it probably wouldn't give me any trouble, but that if I did have any
>trouble I could come back and he would fix it for free (OK, if it was
>fixable why didn't he just fix it then - I'm guessing it's because he had
>already been working on me for 4 hours and had another appointment). I have
>not had any problems with it until today when that tooth started hurting.
>
>What I don't get is this - when I went to my regular dentist to have the
>temporary filling replaced with a permanent filling on that tooth (until I
>can afford to get the crowns done), he didn't even give me a shot of
>Novocain before he started drilling since the root was gone. So why am I
>now in pain, what is hurting?
>
>Anyway, purrs that the pain goes away would be greatly appreciated. Even if
>I don't have to pay for more work on the tooth, I don't want to go through
>any more oral surgery (and I *would* have to pay my regular dentist to re-do
>the permanent filling if the oral surgeon has to drill it out again - and
>why can't the oral surgeon put in a permanent filling instead of a temporary
>one???).
>
>Oh well! Such is life - at least my life!!
>
>Hugs,
>
>CatNipped

Purrs for the pain to go away and everything to get fixed up from this
extreme dentalphobe!

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~summer/index.htm (genealogy)
Animals in Movies Website)

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
December 27th 05, 07:54 PM
MatSav wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 21:10:32 -0600, "Pat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"CatNipped" > wrote
>>

>>>Kava kave??! What is that and where would I get it?
>>
>>Sorry, I misspelled it, it's kava kava.

I gather you're not talking about HUNGARIAN "Kava" (which is
their word for "coffee")?

> There was a Watchdog programme item broadcast recently on the BBC.
> Kava has been banned from sale in the UK:
>
> http://www.besttreatments.co.uk/btuk/conditions/9978.html
>
> and, from the Food Standards Agency archive:
>
> http://www.food.gov.uk/news/newsarchive/2002/jul/82222
>
> You might want to check with the FDA, if you're in the USA.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
December 27th 05, 08:07 PM
CatNipped wrote:

> I mentioned a few weeks back that I had two root canals (I had to go to the
> oral surgeon because I have crooked roots). When the oral surgeon was
> removing a root he broke off the end of a file in my tooth and left it
> there. He told me that he had already rinsed the root out twice with bleach
> so it probably wouldn't give me any trouble, but that if I did have any
> trouble I could come back and he would fix it for free (OK, if it was
> fixable why didn't he just fix it then - I'm guessing it's because he had
> already been working on me for 4 hours and had another appointment). I have
> not had any problems with it until today when that tooth started hurting.

Pardon my astonishment, but what kind of surgeon - oral or
otherwise - KNOWINGLY leaves broken parts of an instrument
in an incision? (I've read some of the horror stories where
such things have happened accidentally, and wondered about
the competence of the professionals involved, but when he
KNEW it was there?)

> What I don't get is this - when I went to my regular dentist to have the
> temporary filling replaced with a permanent filling on that tooth (until I
> can afford to get the crowns done), he didn't even give me a shot of
> Novocain before he started drilling since the root was gone. So why am I
> now in pain, what is hurting?

My guess would be an infection from the piece of instrument,
which has spread to encompass other nerves (and maybe
threaten other teeth).

> Anyway, purrs that the pain goes away would be greatly appreciated. Even if
> I don't have to pay for more work on the tooth, I don't want to go through
> any more oral surgery (and I *would* have to pay my regular dentist to re-do
> the permanent filling if the oral surgeon has to drill it out again - and
> why can't the oral surgeon put in a permanent filling instead of a temporary
> one???).

SFAIK, if he's capable of doing a temporary one, there's no
logical reason he couldn't do a permanent one. However, I
think, if it were me, I'd find another oral surgeon to
correct the first one's mistake, then see one of those
attorneys who specialize in medical malpractice cases.
(Most of them work on a contingency basis - they don't get
paid unless they win your case for you - and the initial
consultation is usually free, so it might be worth checking
out, since it sounds to me as though you'd have grounds.)

Howard C. Berkowitz
December 27th 05, 08:17 PM
In article >, Pat
> wrote:

> "CatNipped" > wrote
>
> > Kava kave??! What is that and where would I get it?
>
> Sorry, I misspelled it, it's kava kava. It's a root that grows in the
> tropics. Most larger health food stores stock the tincture or extract in
> liquid form. If you're near a Wild Oats or Whole Foods or Trader Joe's,
> someplace like that, you should find it there. Call first to be sure so you
> don't waste gas.
>
> I've used it in dental situations including as a numbing agent prior to
> getting an injection of lidocaine instead of that icky sweet stuff they swab
> onto the gum and could not feel the needle. Most common use is to calm the
> nerves without making you sleepy. That helps when driving to the dentist
> too!

Oil of cloves is a fairly standard dental pain reliever, available in
most drugstores.

Incidentally, the sweet stuff is just lidocaine (or a similar local
anesthetic) in a viscous gel. I rather like the taste of the
preparation that my dentist uses.

CatNipped
December 27th 05, 08:39 PM
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote in message

> CatNipped wrote:
>
>> I mentioned a few weeks back that I had two root canals (I had to go to
>> the oral surgeon because I have crooked roots). When the oral surgeon
>> was removing a root he broke off the end of a file in my tooth and left
>> it there. He told me that he had already rinsed the root out twice with
>> bleach so it probably wouldn't give me any trouble, but that if I did
>> have any trouble I could come back and he would fix it for free (OK, if
>> it was fixable why didn't he just fix it then - I'm guessing it's because
>> he had already been working on me for 4 hours and had another
>> appointment). I have not had any problems with it until today when that
>> tooth started hurting.
>
> Pardon my astonishment, but what kind of surgeon - oral or otherwise -
> KNOWINGLY leaves broken parts of an instrument in an incision? (I've read
> some of the horror stories where such things have happened accidentally,
> and wondered about the competence of the professionals involved, but when
> he KNEW it was there?)

After looking this up on the internet I found that it's not all that rare an
occurance. The ends of the roots of your teeth are extremely narrow, and
mine curve at the end almost 90 degrees - "normal" tooth roots go straight
downwards. The files they use to scrape out all the pulp are almost as thin
as a human hair and they break off pretty easily. From a site about this:

"Occasionally a root canal instrument will break off in a root canal that is
twisted, curved or blocked with calcium deposits. Depending on its location,
the fragment can be retrieved or it may be necessary to seal it in the root
canal (these instruments are made of sterile, nontoxic surgical stainless
steel, so this causes no harm). It may also be necessary to perform an
apicoectomy to seal the root canal."

However, if my luck runs true to form I'll be one of those who *WILL* have a
problem with this! :<

Hugs,

CatNipped