PDA

View Full Version : Cat in the bedroom, first time ever

Christina Websell
December 27th 05, 04:13 PM
I've been having a bit of a problem with pain in my back when I wake up in
the morning, so much so that it hurts enough to make it difficult for me to
get out of bed. I wondered if it might be my bed, which is probably due for
replacement.
I decided to sleep in the other bedroom last night, nice firm bed, an
electric blanket on there designed to sleep on when it's on, hardly slept in
to see if it made a difference.
Well, it did, sort of. The difference was that Boyfie likes to sleep on the
spare bed. He was able to get into that bedroom because the door will not
shut properly. He was polite enough to leave me alone until 7.30 a.m when
he visited to enquire why I was in the bed he likes to sleep on top of. I
mumbled something. Like go away, it's a holiday and I don't want to get up
yet. He sat on the bed. I moved my feet under the duvet and he pounced on
them. Bed mice.
I am not sleeping in that room tonight ;-) No point, back was just the
same.

Tweed

CatNipped
December 27th 05, 04:23 PM
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message

> I've been having a bit of a problem with pain in my back when I wake up in
> the morning, so much so that it hurts enough to make it difficult for me
> to get out of bed. I wondered if it might be my bed, which is probably
> due for replacement.
> I decided to sleep in the other bedroom last night, nice firm bed, an
> electric blanket on there designed to sleep on when it's on, hardly slept
> in to see if it made a difference.
> Well, it did, sort of. The difference was that Boyfie likes to sleep on
> the spare bed. He was able to get into that bedroom because the door will
> not shut properly. He was polite enough to leave me alone until 7.30 a.m
> when he visited to enquire why I was in the bed he likes to sleep on top
> of. I mumbled something. Like go away, it's a holiday and I don't want
> to get up yet. He sat on the bed. I moved my feet under the duvet and he
> pounced on them. Bed mice.
> I am not sleeping in that room tonight ;-) No point, back was just the
> same.
>
> Tweed

Can you switch the mattresses so you can still sleep in your bedroom, but on
the firmer mattress? I know getting a new mattress made a huge difference
in the pain I feel from degenerative disk disease - it's gotten *much*
better.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Christina Websell
December 27th 05, 04:55 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "Christina Websell" > wrote in message
>>
>> I've been having a bit of a problem with pain in my back when I wake up
>> in the morning, so much so that it hurts enough to make it difficult for
>> me to get out of bed. I wondered if it might be my bed, which is
>> probably due for replacement.
>> I decided to sleep in the other bedroom last night, nice firm bed, an
>> electric blanket on there designed to sleep on when it's on, hardly slept
>> in to see if it made a difference.
>> Well, it did, sort of. The difference was that Boyfie likes to sleep on
>> the spare bed. He was able to get into that bedroom because the door
>> will not shut properly. He was polite enough to leave me alone until
>> 7.30 a.m when he visited to enquire why I was in the bed he likes to
>> sleep on top of. I mumbled something. Like go away, it's a holiday and
>> I don't want to get up yet. He sat on the bed. I moved my feet under
>> the duvet and he pounced on them. Bed mice.
>> I am not sleeping in that room tonight ;-) No point, back was just the
>> same.
>>
>> Tweed
>
> Can you switch the mattresses so you can still sleep in your bedroom, but
> on the firmer mattress? I know getting a new mattress made a huge
> difference in the pain I feel from degenerative disk disease - it's gotten
> *much* better.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped
The firmer mattress made no difference, unfortunately, I could still hardly
get out of bed for back pain. It wears off after a few hours, though. I
will try the spare bed again tonight but if still the same I'll go back to
my usual one. At least no cat can wake me up there!

Tweed

Pat
December 27th 05, 05:18 PM
"Christina Websell" > wrote

> The firmer mattress made no difference, unfortunately, I could still
> hardly get out of bed for back pain. It wears off after a few hours,
> though. I will try the spare bed again tonight but if still the same I'll

The way you describe your back pain it sounds exactly like how mine started
back in the mid '80s. I suffered with it for ten years before I learned
about some supplements that can make a difference. I do hope you're taking
or will begin taking glucosamine sulfate, it's excellent for this. It can
take some weeks of use before you will feel a difference, so don't think it
isn't working if you don't feel a change right away. It seems the kind made
from crab shells works better than the others (made from beef bones).
Pycnogenol (from pine bark, not grape seeds) and MSM taken along with the
glucosamine is also very helpful.

These supplements as good as they are won't do the whole trick, though. If
you're really serious about alleviating your back pain there is no better
gift you can give yourself than a complete series of structural realignment
sessions.

I went through that in 1996 & 97 and got to the point where walking felt so
good I didn't want to stop. However since that time several new injuries
have happened and I haven't been able to afford to have the structural
realignment redone, so my pain continues.

I'm sending you a list of practitioners in England. Often they will work at
a reduced rate for low-income people. Their treatment might also be covered
by your insurance.

whayface
December 27th 05, 06:00 PM
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:55:34 -0000, "Christina Websell"
> wrote:

>>> I've been having a bit of a problem with pain in my back when I wake up
>>> in the morning, so much so that it hurts enough to make it difficult for
>>> me to get out of bed. I wondered if it might be my bed, which is
>>> probably due for replacement.
>>> I decided to sleep in the other bedroom last night, nice firm bed, an
>>> electric blanket on there designed to sleep on when it's on, hardly slept
>>> in to see if it made a difference.
>>> Well, it did, sort of. The difference was that Boyfie likes to sleep on
>>> the spare bed. He was able to get into that bedroom because the door
>>> will not shut properly. He was polite enough to leave me alone until
>>> 7.30 a.m when he visited to enquire why I was in the bed he likes to
>>> sleep on top of. I mumbled something. Like go away, it's a holiday and
>>> I don't want to get up yet. He sat on the bed. I moved my feet under
>>> the duvet and he pounced on them. Bed mice.
>>> I am not sleeping in that room tonight ;-) No point, back was just the
>>> same.
>>>
>>> Tweed
>>
>> Can you switch the mattresses so you can still sleep in your bedroom, but
>> on the firmer mattress? I know getting a new mattress made a huge
>> difference in the pain I feel from degenerative disk disease - it's gotten
>> *much* better.
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped

>The firmer mattress made no difference, unfortunately, I could still hardly
>get out of bed for back pain. It wears off after a few hours, though. I
>will try the spare bed again tonight but if still the same I'll go back to
>my usual one. At least no cat can wake me up there!
>
>Tweed

I know how you feel. At 62 it takes me a while to loosen up in AM. In fact everyone
knows not to expect anything of me before noon. It usually takes me that long to get all
the aches, pains and stiffness worked out of this old body!!

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

mlbriggs
December 27th 05, 07:19 PM
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:13:14 +0000, Christina Websell wrote:

> I've been having a bit of a problem with pain in my back when I wake up in
> the morning, so much so that it hurts enough to make it difficult for me to
> get out of bed. I wondered if it might be my bed, which is probably due for
> replacement.
> I decided to sleep in the other bedroom last night, nice firm bed, an
> electric blanket on there designed to sleep on when it's on, hardly slept in
> to see if it made a difference.
> Well, it did, sort of. The difference was that Boyfie likes to sleep on the
> spare bed. He was able to get into that bedroom because the door will not
> shut properly. He was polite enough to leave me alone until 7.30 a.m when
> he visited to enquire why I was in the bed he likes to sleep on top of. I
> mumbled something. Like go away, it's a holiday and I don't want to get up
> yet. He sat on the bed. I moved my feet under the duvet and he pounced on
> them. Bed mice.
> I am not sleeping in that room tonight ;-) No point, back was just the
> same.
>
> Tweed

Have you ever heard the saying: "Everything hurts and what doesn't hurt
doesn't work"? That is what I tell my doctor whenever she asks how I am
doing. They tell me exercise is the best treatment. What they don't
tell me is how to get the energy to exercise. My best exercise is sifting
cat litter and taking care of a 15 pound ball of fur. On the serious
side, there are effective treatments so tell your doctor about this pain.
Best wishes for a pain free 2006. MLB

polonca12000
December 27th 05, 09:47 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your backache!
Lots of purrs and best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Christina Websell wrote:

> I've been having a bit of a problem with pain in my back when I wake up in
> the morning, so much so that it hurts enough to make it difficult for me to
> get out of bed. I wondered if it might be my bed, which is probably due for
> replacement.
<snip>

Jo Firey
December 27th 05, 11:47 PM
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message

> I've been having a bit of a problem with pain in my back when I wake up in
> the morning, so much so that it hurts enough to make it difficult for me
> to get out of bed. I wondered if it might be my bed, which is probably
> due for replacement.
> I decided to sleep in the other bedroom last night, nice firm bed, an
> electric blanket on there designed to sleep on when it's on, hardly slept
> in to see if it made a difference.
> Well, it did, sort of. The difference was that Boyfie likes to sleep on
> the spare bed. He was able to get into that bedroom because the door will
> not shut properly. He was polite enough to leave me alone until 7.30 a.m
> when he visited to enquire why I was in the bed he likes to sleep on top
> of. I mumbled something. Like go away, it's a holiday and I don't want
> to get up yet. He sat on the bed. I moved my feet under the duvet and he
> pounced on them. Bed mice.
> I am not sleeping in that room tonight ;-) No point, back was just the
> same.
>
> Tweed

Sorry the mattress didn't help. Back pain can sap your energy.

Jo

Karen
December 28th 05, 04:35 AM
On 2005-12-27 10:13:14 -0600, "Christina Websell"
> said:

> I've been having a bit of a problem with pain in my back when I wake up
> in the morning, so much so that it hurts enough to make it difficult
> for me to get out of bed. I wondered if it might be my bed, which is
> probably due for replacement.
> I decided to sleep in the other bedroom last night, nice firm bed, an
> electric blanket on there designed to sleep on when it's on, hardly
> slept in to see if it made a difference.
> Well, it did, sort of. The difference was that Boyfie likes to sleep
> on the spare bed. He was able to get into that bedroom because the
> door will not shut properly. He was polite enough to leave me alone
> until 7.30 a.m when he visited to enquire why I was in the bed he likes
> to sleep on top of. I mumbled something. Like go away, it's a
> holiday and I don't want to get up yet. He sat on the bed. I moved my
> feet under the duvet and he pounced on them. Bed mice.
> I am not sleeping in that room tonight ;-) No point, back was just the same.
>
> Tweed

Boyfie played bedmice!!! Awwww. That's so cute.

Christina Websell
December 29th 05, 05:51 PM
"Pat" > wrote in message

> "Christina Websell" > wrote
>
>> The firmer mattress made no difference, unfortunately, I could still
>> hardly get out of bed for back pain. It wears off after a few hours,
>> though. I will try the spare bed again tonight but if still the same
>> I'll go back to my usual one. At least no cat can wake me up there!
>
> The way you describe your back pain it sounds exactly like how mine
> started back in the mid '80s. I suffered with it for ten years before I
> learned about some supplements that can make a difference. I do hope
> you're taking or will begin taking glucosamine sulfate, it's excellent for
> this. It can take some weeks of use before you will feel a difference, so
> don't think it isn't working if you don't feel a change right away. It
> seems the kind made from crab shells works better than the others (made
> from beef bones). Pycnogenol (from pine bark, not grape seeds) and MSM
> taken along with the glucosamine is also very helpful.

I've thought about taking it - but that's as far as it's got ;-) My aunt &
uncle have been taking it for some years and are very well as regards joint
pain and such, they are both 80. 3 younger friends say they got no benefit
from it.

> These supplements as good as they are won't do the whole trick, though. If
> you're really serious about alleviating your back pain there is no better
> gift you can give yourself than a complete series of structural
> realignment sessions.

Is it a chiropractor that does that?
It has been really bad since I had my examination at the hospital last week,
I might wait to see if it settles down. The whole of my abdomen was pressed
and pummelled so hard for what seemed like hours (but was probably only two
minutes) that I was surprised that the legs of the examination table didn't
give way and deposit me on the floor.
Everything inside starting hurting again after that, so I wouldn't be
surprised if my back is objecting too.

> I went through that in 1996 & 97 and got to the point where walking felt
> so good I didn't want to stop. However since that time several new
> injuries have happened and I haven't been able to afford to have the
> structural realignment redone, so my pain continues.
>
> I'm sending you a list of practitioners in England. Often they will work
> at a reduced rate for low-income people.

Thanks very much, Pat.

>Their treatment might also be covered
> by your insurance.

It won't be. We don't have the same type of health insurance here. It
covers primary care and hospital treatment when your doctor has referred you
on. Anything "alternative" has to be paid for privately.

Tweed

Christina Websell
December 29th 05, 05:54 PM
"mlbriggs" > wrote in message

> Have you ever heard the saying: "Everything hurts and what doesn't hurt
> doesn't work"?

LOL! No, but it's beginning to feel like that!

Tweed

Christina Websell
December 29th 05, 05:56 PM
"polonca12000" > wrote in message
> I'm so sorry to hear about your backache!
> Lots of purrs and best wishes,
> Polonca and Soncek

Thank you.

Tweed

CatNipped
December 29th 05, 06:02 PM
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message

> "Pat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Christina Websell" > wrote
>>
>>> The firmer mattress made no difference, unfortunately, I could still
>>> hardly get out of bed for back pain. It wears off after a few hours,
>>> though. I will try the spare bed again tonight but if still the same
>>> I'll go back to my usual one. At least no cat can wake me up there!
>>
>> The way you describe your back pain it sounds exactly like how mine
>> started back in the mid '80s. I suffered with it for ten years before I
>> learned about some supplements that can make a difference. I do hope
>> you're taking or will begin taking glucosamine sulfate, it's excellent
>> for this. It can take some weeks of use before you will feel a
>> difference, so don't think it isn't working if you don't feel a change
>> right away. It seems the kind made from crab shells works better than the
>> others (made from beef bones). Pycnogenol (from pine bark, not grape
>> seeds) and MSM taken along with the glucosamine is also very helpful.
>

> I've thought about taking it - but that's as far as it's got ;-) My aunt
> & uncle have been taking it for some years and are very well as regards
> joint pain and such, they are both 80. 3 younger friends say they got no
> benefit from it.
>>
>> These supplements as good as they are won't do the whole trick, though.
>> If you're really serious about alleviating your back pain there is no
>> better gift you can give yourself than a complete series of structural
>> realignment sessions.
>
> Is it a chiropractor that does that?
> It has been really bad since I had my examination at the hospital last
> week, I might wait to see if it settles down. The whole of my abdomen was
> pressed and pummelled so hard for what seemed like hours (but was probably
> only two minutes) that I was surprised that the legs of the examination
> table didn't give way and deposit me on the floor.
> Everything inside starting hurting again after that, so I wouldn't be
> surprised if my back is objecting too.
>>
>> I went through that in 1996 & 97 and got to the point where walking felt
>> so good I didn't want to stop. However since that time several new
>> injuries have happened and I haven't been able to afford to have the
>> structural realignment redone, so my pain continues.
>>
>> I'm sending you a list of practitioners in England. Often they will work
>> at a reduced rate for low-income people.
>
> Thanks very much, Pat.
>

> >Their treatment might also be covered
>> by your insurance.
>>
> It won't be. We don't have the same type of health insurance here. It
> covers primary care and hospital treatment when your doctor has referred
> you on. Anything "alternative" has to be paid for privately.
>
> Tweed

Your abdominal muscles are what support your lower back (people with lower
back pain are prescribed "crunches" as physical therapy). So if they made
your stomach sore during the examination you might not be using those
muscles fully yet and that would cause the pain in your back.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Christina Websell
December 29th 05, 06:03 PM
"Karen" > wrote in message
> On 2005-12-27 10:13:14 -0600, "Christina Websell"
> > said:
>
> Boyfie played bedmice!!! Awwww. That's so cute.

I was pleased. I like it when he feels confident enough to do something
like this when I can see him as he can be a bit self-conscious sometimes.
So we did it a few times and he was delighted. Pounce, pounce, pounce.
Then it occurred to him that it wasn't bedmice at all but my feet and he
went downstairs :-(

Tweed

Cathi
December 29th 05, 10:37 PM
In message >, Christina Websell
> writes

(on chiropractors):

> >Their treatment might also be covered
>> by your insurance.
>>
> It won't be. We don't have the same type of health insurance here. It
>covers primary care and hospital treatment when your doctor has referred you
>on. Anything "alternative" has to be paid for privately.
>
>Tweed

It might be worth enquiring at your GP, Tweed. I saw a chiro in two
separate spells, referred by my GP, and didn't have to pay a bean.
Granted I only got short sessions (apart from initial consultation), but
they really did the trick. Prior to treatment if my back popped "out",
I'd end up walking double in a very short space of time. After
treatment, I never experienced pain on such a scale again. I certainly
had some painful days, but nothing like I did before I saw him.
--
Cathi

December 29th 05, 10:52 PM
"mlbriggs" > wrote:

> Have you ever heard the saying: "Everything hurts and what doesn't
> hurt doesn't work"?

LOL. This reminds me of an old Jewish curse: "May all your teeth fall
out except one, and that one have a toothache."

Joyce

Pat
December 31st 05, 02:58 AM
"Christina Websell" > wrote

>> a complete series of structural realignment sessions.
>
> Is it a chiropractor that does that?

No, chiropractic treatment must usually be repeated. This is rearranging the
connective tissue to make permenant changes in your structure, and the
benefits show in improved function.

> >Their treatment might also be covered
>> by your insurance.

> Anything "alternative" has to be paid for privately.

Some of them will reduce fees for low-income folks. But even if they don't,
it's well worth the cost.

Did you get the list I sent?

Christina Websell
December 31st 05, 01:47 PM
"Pat" > wrote in message

> "Christina Websell" > wrote
>
>>> a complete series of structural realignment sessions.
>>
>> Is it a chiropractor that does that?
>
> No, chiropractic treatment must usually be repeated. This is rearranging
> the connective tissue to make permenant changes in your structure, and the
> benefits show in improved function.
>
>> >Their treatment might also be covered
>>> by your insurance.
>
>> Anything "alternative" has to be paid for privately.
>
> Some of them will reduce fees for low-income folks. But even if they
> don't, it's well worth the cost.
>
> Did you get the list I sent?

No, not yet. Did you send it in the mail? If so it will take about a week
to get here maybe more because of the holidays.

Tweed

Pat
December 31st 05, 04:25 PM
"Christina Websell" > wrote

>> Did you get the list I sent?

> No, not yet. Did you send it in the mail? If so it will take about a
> week to get here maybe more because of the holidays.

No, I sent it by email to tinawebsell (at) wanadoo.co.uk (that was just a
guess at your eddress, but the message did not bounce so I assumed it was
ccorrect.

Christina Websell
January 1st 06, 08:22 PM
"Pat" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Christina Websell" > wrote
>
>>> Did you get the list I sent?
>
>> No, not yet. Did you send it in the mail? If so it will take about a
>> week to get here maybe more because of the holidays.
>
> No, I sent it by email to tinawebsell (at) wanadoo.co.uk (that was just a
> guess at your eddress, but the message did not bounce so I assumed it was
> ccorrect.

I have it now, but they are all so far away from me that it would take me a
day to go there. I've used the information, though, to search for similar
therapists and there is one just 10 miles away. Should my pains not settle
down soon I'll most likely be making an appointment.
It's very kind of you to take the trouble to mail this info to me. Thank
you so much, Pat.

Tweed

Monique Y. Mudama
January 4th 06, 09:39 PM
On 2005-12-31, Pat penned:

> "Christina Websell" > wrote
>
>>> a complete series of structural realignment sessions.
>>
>> Is it a chiropractor that does that?
>
> No, chiropractic treatment must usually be repeated. This is
> rearranging the connective tissue to make permenant changes in your
> structure, and the benefits show in improved function.

It sounds like you're talking about rolfing.

http://www.rolf.org/

I am looking into this, too, for some of my own issues.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Pat
January 5th 06, 03:00 AM
"Monique Y. Mudama" > wrote

>> No, chiropractic treatment must usually be repeated. This is
>> rearranging the connective tissue to make permenant changes in your
>> structure, and the benefits show in improved function.
>
> It sounds like you're talking about rolfing.
>
> http://www.rolf.org/
>
> I am looking into this, too, for some of my own issues.

I was treated on by rolfers and by others who do similar work. It was the
best thing I've ever done for myself - right up there with the Chinese herbs
for migraine relief.