PDA

View Full Version : cat-vacuuming pin

John F. Eldredge
June 30th 06, 05:55 AM
A while back, we had a discussion in this group of the pins that the
regular denizens of rec.arts.sf.composition had made, so that we would
recognize a fellow rasfc person if we met face-to-face. That
newsgroup is for discussion of writing speculative fiction (science
fiction and fantasy). The agreed-upon symbol is a cat being vacuumed,
since "cat-vacuuming" is a slang term in that newsgroup for coming up
with increasingly-unlikely tasks that you "have to do" before doing
something else that you are procrastinating. Here is a view of what
the pin looks like: http://www.mjlayman.com/rasfcpin.jpg

I wear my pin as a hat decoration. It looks particularly nice in the
winter, when I wear a black fedora.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from http://pgp.mit.edu

June 30th 06, 10:47 AM
John F. Eldredge > wrote:

> A while back, we had a discussion in this group of the pins that the
> regular denizens of rec.arts.sf.composition had made, so that we would
> recognize a fellow rasfc person if we met face-to-face. That
> newsgroup is for discussion of writing speculative fiction (science
> fiction and fantasy). The agreed-upon symbol is a cat being vacuumed,
> since "cat-vacuuming" is a slang term in that newsgroup for coming up
> with increasingly-unlikely tasks that you "have to do" before doing
> something else that you are procrastinating. Here is a view of what
> the pin looks like: http://www.mjlayman.com/rasfcpin.jpg

Is some server burping somewhere? I swear I saw this post about two
months ago.

A friend of mine is on that newsgroup and I got to look at all the
logos people were coming up with for ideas, before the final one was
chosen. Some of them were pretty funny. But I remember wondering if
someone would see the cat-vacuuming pin and wonder just *what* kind
of activity your group is into. :)

Joyce

Lisa Katt
June 30th 06, 11:15 AM
sandra skrev i meddelandet ...
>If I had one of those pins, it would have to show the cat on its back
>waving paws in the air - Phoenix loves having his tummy vacumned!
>
>sandra

Yes, my black Hugo Katt (RB) also liked being vacuumed.So it is not that
impossible or difficult. Not always.
Elisabet

Marina
June 30th 06, 01:30 PM
John F. Eldredge wrote:
> A while back, we had a discussion in this group of the pins that the
> regular denizens of rec.arts.sf.composition had made, so that we would
> recognize a fellow rasfc person if we met face-to-face. That
> newsgroup is for discussion of writing speculative fiction (science
> fiction and fantasy). The agreed-upon symbol is a cat being vacuumed,
> since "cat-vacuuming" is a slang term in that newsgroup for coming up
> with increasingly-unlikely tasks that you "have to do" before doing
> something else that you are procrastinating. Here is a view of what
> the pin looks like: http://www.mjlayman.com/rasfcpin.jpg
>
> I wear my pin as a hat decoration. It looks particularly nice in the
> winter, when I wear a black fedora.

LOL! That cat does not look happy at all, though I know some cats
actually *like* to be vacuumed (Vino comes to mind).

John F. Eldredge
June 30th 06, 01:37 PM
On 30 Jun 2006 09:47:56 GMT, wrote:

>John F. Eldredge > wrote:
>
> > A while back, we had a discussion in this group of the pins that the
> > regular denizens of rec.arts.sf.composition had made, so that we would
> > recognize a fellow rasfc person if we met face-to-face. That
> > newsgroup is for discussion of writing speculative fiction (science
> > fiction and fantasy). The agreed-upon symbol is a cat being vacuumed,
> > since "cat-vacuuming" is a slang term in that newsgroup for coming up
> > with increasingly-unlikely tasks that you "have to do" before doing
> > something else that you are procrastinating. Here is a view of what
> > the pin looks like: http://www.mjlayman.com/rasfcpin.jpg
>
>Is some server burping somewhere? I swear I saw this post about two
>months ago.
>
>A friend of mine is on that newsgroup and I got to look at all the
>logos people were coming up with for ideas, before the final one was
>chosen. Some of them were pretty funny. But I remember wondering if
>someone would see the cat-vacuuming pin and wonder just *what* kind
>of activity your group is into. :)

We discussed the pin in this group a couple of months ago, but there
wasn't an image of the pin available online for folks to see. Now
that the image is available, I decided to post a message about it.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from http://pgp.mit.edu

John F. Eldredge
June 30th 06, 01:39 PM
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 15:30:30 +0300, Marina >
wrote:

>John F. Eldredge wrote:
>> A while back, we had a discussion in this group of the pins that the
>> regular denizens of rec.arts.sf.composition had made, so that we would
>> recognize a fellow rasfc person if we met face-to-face. That
>> newsgroup is for discussion of writing speculative fiction (science
>> fiction and fantasy). The agreed-upon symbol is a cat being vacuumed,
>> since "cat-vacuuming" is a slang term in that newsgroup for coming up
>> with increasingly-unlikely tasks that you "have to do" before doing
>> something else that you are procrastinating. Here is a view of what
>> the pin looks like: http://www.mjlayman.com/rasfcpin.jpg
>>
>> I wear my pin as a hat decoration. It looks particularly nice in the
>> winter, when I wear a black fedora.
>>
>LOL! That cat does not look happy at all, though I know some cats
>actually *like* to be vacuumed (Vino comes to mind).

My father had a cat who would run and hide if he got out the big
vacuum cleaner, but who would and beg to be groomed with his small
handheld vacuum cleaner.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from http://pgp.mit.edu

kilikini
June 30th 06, 03:51 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Lisa Katt wrote:
> > sandra skrev i meddelandet ...
> > >If I had one of those pins, it would have to show the cat on its back
> > >waving paws in the air - Phoenix loves having his tummy vacumned!
> > >
> > >sandra
> >
> > Yes, my black Hugo Katt (RB) also liked being vacuumed.So it is not that
> > impossible or difficult. Not always.
> > Elisabet
>
> My Cherokee (RB) also loved to be vacuumed. He was a longhair, and it
> was a great way to get the loose hairs off of him.

Cats are so funny. Chloe and Pua run from the dreaded vacuum cleaner, but
Tyrone follows me wherever I go with it. From room to room, he's inspecting
the vacuum cleaner's progress. Oh, kili, you missed a spot! :~)

kili

Kreisleriana
June 30th 06, 04:43 PM
On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 23:55:42 -0500, John F. Eldredge
> yodeled:

>A while back, we had a discussion in this group of the pins that the
>regular denizens of rec.arts.sf.composition had made, so that we would
>recognize a fellow rasfc person if we met face-to-face. That
>newsgroup is for discussion of writing speculative fiction (science
>fiction and fantasy). The agreed-upon symbol is a cat being vacuumed,
>since "cat-vacuuming" is a slang term in that newsgroup for coming up
>with increasingly-unlikely tasks that you "have to do" before doing
>something else that you are procrastinating. Here is a view of what
>the pin looks like: http://www.mjlayman.com/rasfcpin.jpg
>
>I wear my pin as a hat decoration. It looks particularly nice in the
>winter, when I wear a black fedora.

I WISH my cats would consent to being vacuumed. ;)

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War

Kreisleriana
June 30th 06, 04:44 PM
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:56:43 +0100, "sandra" >
yodeled:

>If I had one of those pins, it would have to show the cat on its back
>waving paws in the air - Phoenix loves having his tummy vacumned!
>
>sandra

Oh lucky! I see all these videos on AFHV of cats and dogs happily
getting vacuumed, and I say to my boys "Why aren't you like that?" ;)

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
June 30th 06, 05:06 PM
sandra wrote:

> If I had one of those pins, it would have to show the cat on its back
> waving paws in the air - Phoenix loves having his tummy vacumned!
>
> sandra

Apparently many cats do - I've seen ads for attachments
especially designed for vacuuming pets.

polonca12000
July 3rd 06, 10:03 PM
John F. Eldredge wrote:

> A while back, we had a discussion in this group of the pins that the
> regular denizens of rec.arts.sf.composition had made, so that we would
> recognize a fellow rasfc person if we met face-to-face. That
> newsgroup is for discussion of writing speculative fiction (science
> fiction and fantasy). The agreed-upon symbol is a cat being vacuumed,
> since "cat-vacuuming" is a slang term in that newsgroup for coming up
> with increasingly-unlikely tasks that you "have to do" before doing
> something else that you are procrastinating. Here is a view of what
> the pin looks like: http://www.mjlayman.com/rasfcpin.jpg
>
> I wear my pin as a hat decoration. It looks particularly nice in the
> winter, when I wear a black fedora.

Soncek would get huge eyes like the cat on the pin just thinking of the
possibility of being vacuumed ;)
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek