PDA

View Full Version : OT - Purrs for my car :(

Pat
July 11th 06, 09:43 PM
It picked today to quit cold on me. It's just shy of 20 years old and has
1/4 million miles on the odometer. I'm in deep do-do now.

Please purr for the mechanic to cut me a break, because it needs a new
timing *chain* plus probably more than a few lesser repairs.

:( :( :(

Adrian A
July 11th 06, 09:49 PM
Pat wrote:
> It picked today to quit cold on me. It's just shy of 20 years old and
> has 1/4 million miles on the odometer. I'm in deep do-do now.
>
> Please purr for the mechanic to cut me a break, because it needs a new
> timing *chain* plus probably more than a few lesser repairs.
>
> :( :( :(

Purrs for your car to last a bit longer.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Pat
July 11th 06, 10:01 PM
"Adrian A" > wrote

> Purrs for your car to last a bit longer.

It will, if I get it fixed. It's a Toyota. Enough said.

Monique Y. Mudama
July 11th 06, 10:02 PM
On 2006-07-11, Pat penned:
> It picked today to quit cold on me. It's just shy of 20 years old
> and has 1/4 million miles on the odometer. I'm in deep do-do now.
>
> Please purr for the mechanic to cut me a break, because it needs a
> new timing *chain* plus probably more than a few lesser repairs.
>
>:( :( :(

Hope that the fixes are simple and cheap. You must take very good
care of it for it to have 250,000 miles on a 20 year old car.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Pat
July 11th 06, 10:37 PM
"Monique Y. Mudama" > wrote

> Hope that the fixes are simple and cheap. You must take very good
> care of it for it to have 250,000 miles on a 20 year old car.

I bought it new and up until about the last two years or so have been
absolutely anal about keeping it up. I still manage 3k mile oil changes and
keep the tires correctly inflated but that's about all I've been able to
afford recently.

The 4WD hasn't worked for about four years, which has been OK since we
haven't had snow in that long, but if I could afford to do it I would like
to fix that too. Aside from that, and this current mechanical failure, the
only problems are (1) side door starting to rust; (2) radio is about shot;
(3) rear wiper disconnected. All of which I can live with if need be.

July 11th 06, 11:09 PM
Pat wrote:
> It picked today to quit cold on me. It's just shy of 20 years old and has
> 1/4 million miles on the odometer. I'm in deep do-do now.
>
> Please purr for the mechanic to cut me a break, because it needs a new
> timing *chain* plus probably more than a few lesser repairs.
>
> :( :( :(

Oh, no. Timing chains (or belts, which some of them have) are hard to
put on some vehicles, not so hard on others. IIRC the part is fairly
cheap. It's the labor that costs so much. They always quit at the most
inopportune times, too.
DH put one on my car not long ago and it was a snap. My daughters first
car, a 1987 Ford EXP, it was a terrible chore and IIRC the motor had to
be pulled to do it.'

Sherry

Pat
July 11th 06, 11:46 PM
> wrote in message
ps.com...

> Pat wrote:
>> It picked today to quit cold on me. It's just shy of 20 years old and has
>> 1/4 million miles on the odometer. I'm in deep do-do now.
>>
>> Please purr for the mechanic to cut me a break, because it needs a new
>> timing *chain* plus probably more than a few lesser repairs.
>>
>> :( :( :(
>
> Oh, no. Timing chains (or belts, which some of them have) are hard to
> put on some vehicles, not so hard on others. IIRC the part is fairly
> cheap. It's the labor that costs so much. They always quit at the most
> inopportune times, too.
> DH put one on my car not long ago and it was a snap. My daughters first
> car, a 1987 Ford EXP, it was a terrible chore and IIRC the motor had to
> be pulled to do it.'

Chains generally are harder than belts. The belt on ex-DH's little Subaru
was a snap. When his Ford van needed a chain I think the the trans had to be
pulled.

Christine Burel
July 12th 06, 01:01 AM
"Pat" > wrote in message

> "Adrian A" > wrote
>
> > Purrs for your car to last a bit longer.
>
> It will, if I get it fixed. It's a Toyota. Enough said.

Cheryl
July 12th 06, 01:34 AM
On Tue 11 Jul 2006 04:43:45p, Pat wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

> It picked today to quit cold on me. It's just shy of 20 years
> old and has 1/4 million miles on the odometer. I'm in deep do-do
> now.
>
> Please purr for the mechanic to cut me a break, because it needs
> a new timing *chain* plus probably more than a few lesser
> repairs.
>
>:( :( :(

Bummer Pat! I so understand the frustration when your source of
transportation quits on you, or even needs lots of $ put into it to
keep it from quitting. To have it already quit really sucks. Purrs
for you to be able to deal with this set back.

--
Cheryl

Irulan
July 12th 06, 01:50 AM
Purrs and prayers that the car still has some life in it.

Lily & her mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come
"Pat" > wrote in message
> It picked today to quit cold on me. It's just shy of 20 years old and has
> 1/4 million miles on the odometer. I'm in deep do-do now.
>
> Please purr for the mechanic to cut me a break, because it needs a new
> timing *chain* plus probably more than a few lesser repairs.
>
> :( :( :(

Pat
July 12th 06, 04:53 AM
"Christine Burel" > wrote

> Whoops! Just want to send commiserations for your pocketbook and best
> wishes for your car. I have an '87 Camry with 211,000+ miles on it and
> have
> done the timing belt thing this year, too.
> Christine

Thanks. I wish this one had a belt instead of a chain. Changing a chain
costs about 12x more.

Sam
July 12th 06, 04:54 AM
Pat wrote:
> It picked today to quit cold on me. It's just shy of 20 years old and has
> 1/4 million miles on the odometer. I'm in deep do-do now.
>
> Please purr for the mechanic to cut me a break, because it needs a new
> timing *chain* plus probably more than a few lesser repairs.
>
> :( :( :(

Inexpensive repair purrs on the way.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe

Jane
July 12th 06, 12:24 PM
Pat wrote:
> "Christine Burel" > wrote
>
> > Whoops! Just want to send commiserations for your pocketbook and best
> > wishes for your car. I have an '87 Camry with 211,000+ miles on it and
> > have
> > done the timing belt thing this year, too.
> > Christine
>
> Thanks. I wish this one had a belt instead of a chain. Changing a chain
> costs about 12x more.

Perhaps, but you don't have to change a chain every 90,000 miles like
you do a belt (or is that 60,000 miles? ) I have a Mazda and just
spent $900 changing THREE belts, but this is the biggest repair I
anticipate for at least 5 years. It's been a good car for 6 years
(and 130,000 miles).

My favorite cars are Mazdas and Toyotas. I'd have a Toyota today if
they hadn't rebuilt them to make them impossibly small for someone who
is only 5' 7" tall. My head hit the ceiling, literally! Hmph.

Good luck with your car. It should last a few more years yet. My
father used to day 'when the repairs start costing more than a car
payment would, it's time to get a new one. And not until then,.'

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

July 12th 06, 04:16 PM
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:43:45 -0500, "Pat" >
wrote:

>It picked today to quit cold on me. It's just shy of 20 years old and has
>1/4 million miles on the odometer. I'm in deep do-do now.
>
>Please purr for the mechanic to cut me a break, because it needs a new
>timing *chain* plus probably more than a few lesser repairs.
>
>:( :( :(

Ouch! Timing chains are expensive. Purrs that you somehow have
transport again soon. I can tell you, riding on buses all the time is
*no fun*.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~summer/index.htm (genealogy)
Animals in Movies Website)

Pat
July 12th 06, 05:04 PM
> wrote

> I can tell you, riding on buses all the time is *no fun*.

I'd find it very convenient if I could get on a bus here!

Pat
July 12th 06, 07:35 PM
"Jane" > wrote

> Good luck with your car. It should last a few more years yet. My
> father used to day 'when the repairs start costing more than a car
> payment would, it's time to get a new one. And not until then,.'

If I can fix what's currently wrong with it, I think it will last a lot
longer. It's never yet burned any oil at all. I drive very gently, and try
to care for it to make it last forever, knowing I will probably not be able
to afford another car until my home is paid off and I am too old to drive
anyway.

Adrian A
July 12th 06, 10:29 PM
Pat wrote:
> "Jane" > wrote
>
>> Good luck with your car. It should last a few more years yet. My
>> father used to day 'when the repairs start costing more than a car
>> payment would, it's time to get a new one. And not until then,.'
>
> If I can fix what's currently wrong with it, I think it will last a
> lot longer. It's never yet burned any oil at all. I drive very
> gently, and try to care for it to make it last forever, knowing I
> will probably not be able to afford another car until my home is paid
> off and I am too old to drive anyway.

Being too old to drive doesn't stop a lot of people.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Jo Firey
July 12th 06, 10:46 PM
"Adrian A" > wrote in message
om...
> Pat wrote:
>> "Jane" > wrote
>>
>>> Good luck with your car. It should last a few more years yet. My
>>> father used to day 'when the repairs start costing more than a car
>>> payment would, it's time to get a new one. And not until then,.'
>>
>> If I can fix what's currently wrong with it, I think it will last a
>> lot longer. It's never yet burned any oil at all. I drive very
>> gently, and try to care for it to make it last forever, knowing I
>> will probably not be able to afford another car until my home is paid
>> off and I am too old to drive anyway.
>
> Being too old to drive doesn't stop a lot of people.

My brother and sister and I used to get into those "you tell her, I'm not
going to tell her" regarding what to do when Mom should stop driving.

When it got to be almost time, her car started to misbehave. Simply quit
running. An almost new car too. So that shook her confidence a bit.
Nobody likes to get stranded and its harder when you are older.

Then the next time I visited to my utter amazement, Mom asked me to make
sure the car was working properly and then to sell it for her.

You just never know about some people.

Jo

Matthew
July 12th 06, 11:39 PM
"Adrian A" > wrote in message
om...
> Pat wrote:
>> "Jane" > wrote
>>
>>> Good luck with your car. It should last a few more years yet. My
>>> father used to day 'when the repairs start costing more than a car
>>> payment would, it's time to get a new one. And not until then,.'
>>
>> If I can fix what's currently wrong with it, I think it will last a
>> lot longer. It's never yet burned any oil at all. I drive very
>> gently, and try to care for it to make it last forever, knowing I
>> will probably not be able to afford another car until my home is paid
>> off and I am too old to drive anyway.
>
> Being too old to drive doesn't stop a lot of people.
> --
JUST LOOK AT FLORIDA

<running for his life since old people are on the road>

Adrian A
July 13th 06, 11:51 AM
Matthew wrote:
> "Adrian A" > wrote in message
> om...
>> Pat wrote:
>>> "Jane" > wrote

>>> If I can fix what's currently wrong with it, I think it will last a
>>> lot longer. It's never yet burned any oil at all. I drive very
>>> gently, and try to care for it to make it last forever, knowing I
>>> will probably not be able to afford another car until my home is
>>> paid off and I am too old to drive anyway.
>>
>> Being too old to drive doesn't stop a lot of people.
>> --
> JUST LOOK AT FLORIDA
>
> <running for his life since old people are on the road>

The trouble is, it's not just the road. ;-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Adrian A
July 13th 06, 03:00 PM
wrote:
> Adrian A wrote:
>>
>> Being too old to drive doesn't stop a lot of people.
>> --
>> Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
>
> That's sure the truth! DS's neighbor turns 105 in November. He still
> drives, although only locally. It's a small town and everybody just
> knows to get out of his way. I think he only goes to the post office
> and grocery.
> OT: He has the grandest old cat named "Tom" who visits DS regularly.
> He is crazy about that old cat.
>
> Sherry

He's doing well to still be able to drive at 105, Tom must being doing a
great job looking after his hoomin.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

polonca12000
July 13th 06, 10:43 PM
Pat wrote:

> It picked today to quit cold on me. It's just shy of 20 years old and has
> 1/4 million miles on the odometer. I'm in deep do-do now.
>
> Please purr for the mechanic to cut me a break, because it needs a new
> timing *chain* plus probably more than a few lesser repairs.
>
> :( :( :(

Lots and lots of purrs,
Polonca and Soncek