PDA

View Full Version : Purrs for everyone getting bad weather

Daniel Mahoney
January 30th 08, 10:09 PM
Central Iowa has had some cold weather and wind storms, but nothing like
the folks in nearby states have been getting. IL, IN, and MO have been
having awful winds, ND, SD, NE, and WI have getting bitter cold - all of
you in those areas, just dig in and hang on. We're sending our purrs your
way.

Yesterday morning and this morning I woke up before my alarm went off. I
was enjoying the nice warm bed, a warm kitty curled up on the pillow
beside my head, another warm kitty curled up against my chest, listening
to the wind howling outside the window - it was very hard to get out of
bed.

Now the wind has dropped to a mild breeze, no new snow has fallen, the
temperature is up to 10 F (-12 C), wind chill of -3 F (-19 C). Not too bad
as long as you're well wrapped up. But I don't think we'll be doing any
snow-catting tonight.

Dan

Ann
January 30th 08, 10:18 PM
My sister lives in Wisconsin.I was trying to picture her and her husband
going out to work this morning. ( picturing kids dress in so many layers
they can't move.)They don't think its warm until the temp is over 85.

Everyone keep covered up if you need to go out. I was watching the weather
channel this morning and they had pictures of one of their reporters outside
Tuesday night. He has starting to get frost bite on his face.

Ann

"Daniel Mahoney" > wrote in message
.. .
> Central Iowa has had some cold weather and wind storms, but nothing like
> the folks in nearby states have been getting. IL, IN, and MO have been
> having awful winds, ND, SD, NE, and WI have getting bitter cold - all of
> you in those areas, just dig in and hang on. We're sending our purrs your
> way.
>
> Yesterday morning and this morning I woke up before my alarm went off. I
> was enjoying the nice warm bed, a warm kitty curled up on the pillow
> beside my head, another warm kitty curled up against my chest, listening
> to the wind howling outside the window - it was very hard to get out of
> bed.
>
> Now the wind has dropped to a mild breeze, no new snow has fallen, the
> temperature is up to 10 F (-12 C), wind chill of -3 F (-19 C). Not too bad
> as long as you're well wrapped up. But I don't think we'll be doing any
> snow-catting tonight.
>
> Dan

Stormmee
January 30th 08, 10:20 PM
it was 3 here this morning at eight, Lee
Daniel Mahoney > wrote in message
.. .
> Central Iowa has had some cold weather and wind storms, but nothing like
> the folks in nearby states have been getting. IL, IN, and MO have been
> having awful winds, ND, SD, NE, and WI have getting bitter cold - all of
> you in those areas, just dig in and hang on. We're sending our purrs your
> way.
>
> Yesterday morning and this morning I woke up before my alarm went off. I
> was enjoying the nice warm bed, a warm kitty curled up on the pillow
> beside my head, another warm kitty curled up against my chest, listening
> to the wind howling outside the window - it was very hard to get out of
> bed.
>
> Now the wind has dropped to a mild breeze, no new snow has fallen, the
> temperature is up to 10 F (-12 C), wind chill of -3 F (-19 C). Not too bad
> as long as you're well wrapped up. But I don't think we'll be doing any
> snow-catting tonight.
>
> Dan

Kyla =^..^=
January 30th 08, 11:03 PM
--
Kyla's Cat looked over her shoulder and watched her write this
"Daniel Mahoney"
> Central Iowa has had some cold weather and wind storms, but nothing like
> the folks in nearby states have been getting. IL, IN, and MO have been
> having awful winds, ND, SD, NE, and WI have getting bitter cold - all of
> you in those areas, just dig in and hang on. We're sending our purrs your
> way.

Ohhh yes..Big puuuuuuuuuuuuuurs...

> Yesterday morning and this morning I woke up before my alarm went off. I
> was enjoying the nice warm bed, a warm kitty curled up on the pillow
> beside my head, another warm kitty curled up against my chest, listening
> to the wind howling outside the window - it was very hard to get out of
> bed.
>
> Now the wind has dropped to a mild breeze, no new snow has fallen, the
> temperature is up to 10 F (-12 C), wind chill of -3 F (-19 C). Not too bad
> as long as you're well wrapped up. But I don't think we'll be doing any
> snow-catting tonight.
>
> Dan

Wow, that IS c-c-c-old. I live near Seattle Wa, and it is now snowing
lightly, it's 41 degrees..but it feels colder...
Keep warm...
I was born in Colorado, and I know all about c-c-c-old weather.
Puuuurs
Kyla%b

jofirey
January 31st 08, 01:20 AM
"Daniel Mahoney" > wrote in message
.. .
> Central Iowa has had some cold weather and wind storms, but nothing like
> the folks in nearby states have been getting. IL, IN, and MO have been
> having awful winds, ND, SD, NE, and WI have getting bitter cold - all of
> you in those areas, just dig in and hang on. We're sending our purrs your
> way.
>
> Yesterday morning and this morning I woke up before my alarm went off. I
> was enjoying the nice warm bed, a warm kitty curled up on the pillow
> beside my head, another warm kitty curled up against my chest, listening
> to the wind howling outside the window - it was very hard to get out of
> bed.
>
> Now the wind has dropped to a mild breeze, no new snow has fallen, the
> temperature is up to 10 F (-12 C), wind chill of -3 F (-19 C). Not too bad
> as long as you're well wrapped up. But I don't think we'll be doing any
> snow-catting tonight.
>
> Dan

Lots of purrs for any cats and slaves who are having a hard time staying
safe and warm.

On a bright note, the sun came out here today. I saw one flowering tree in
premature bloom, and daffodils in front of one house. I even sat out in the
sun at the park for half an hour while Kayla played.

Jo

Ann
January 31st 08, 01:33 AM
My brother -in-law would agree. He's from Florida, now living in Wisconsin.

Ann

"hopitus" > wrote in message
> On Jan 30, 4:03 pm, "Kyla =^..^=" > wrote:
>> --
>> Kyla's Cat looked over her shoulder and watched her write this
>> "Daniel Mahoney"
>>
>> > Central Iowa has had some cold weather and wind storms, but nothing
>> > like
>> > the folks in nearby states have been getting. IL, IN, and MO have been
>> > having awful winds, ND, SD, NE, and WI have getting bitter cold - all
>> > of
>> > you in those areas, just dig in and hang on. We're sending our purrs
>> > your
>> > way.
>>
>> Ohhh yes..Big puuuuuuuuuuuuuurs...
>>

>> > Yesterday morning and this morning I woke up before my alarm went off.
>> > was enjoying the nice warm bed, a warm kitty curled up on the pillow
>> > beside my head, another warm kitty curled up against my chest,
>> > listening
>> > to the wind howling outside the window - it was very hard to get out of
>> > bed.
>>
>> > Now the wind has dropped to a mild breeze, no new snow has fallen, the
>> > temperature is up to 10 F (-12 C), wind chill of -3 F (-19 C). Not too
>> > bad
>> > as long as you're well wrapped up. But I don't think we'll be doing any
>> > snow-catting tonight.
>>
>> > Dan
>>
>> Wow, that IS c-c-c-old. I live near Seattle Wa, and it is now snowing
>> lightly, it's 41 degrees..but it feels colder...
>> Keep warm...
>> I was born in Colorado, and I know all about c-c-c-old weather.
>> Puuuurs
>> Kyla%b
>
> Brace yourselves....here comes some more cold and snow; it landed
> here about an hour ago. I just beat it here @ a warm relative's house
> in MileHigh; media says it's fast-moving (big blowing winds) so you
> should be enoying this very soon...former south Floridian says,
> "winter
> wonderland, my ***". LOL.

mlbriggs
January 31st 08, 04:05 AM
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:20:13 -0800, jofirey wrote:

> "Daniel Mahoney" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Central Iowa has had some cold weather and wind storms, but nothing like
>> the folks in nearby states have been getting. IL, IN, and MO have been
>> having awful winds, ND, SD, NE, and WI have getting bitter cold - all of
>> you in those areas, just dig in and hang on. We're sending our purrs
>> your way.
>>
>> Yesterday morning and this morning I woke up before my alarm went off. I
>> was enjoying the nice warm bed, a warm kitty curled up on the pillow
>> beside my head, another warm kitty curled up against my chest, listening
>> to the wind howling outside the window - it was very hard to get out of
>> bed.
>>
>> Now the wind has dropped to a mild breeze, no new snow has fallen, the
>> temperature is up to 10 F (-12 C), wind chill of -3 F (-19 C). Not too
>> bad as long as you're well wrapped up. But I don't think we'll be doing
>> any snow-catting tonight.
>>
>> Dan
>
> Lots of purrs for any cats and slaves who are having a hard time staying
> safe and warm.
>
> On a bright note, the sun came out here today. I saw one flowering tree
> in premature bloom, and daffodils in front of one house. I even sat out
> in the sun at the park for half an hour while Kayla played.
>
> Jo

That sounds heavenly. We have had a long, cold, heavy winter with lots of
snow. The snow, especially the deep mountain snow is welcome. We have
had quite a few years of drought and water shortage. But at this point
TuTu and I seem to be suffering from "cabin fever". MLB

Marina
January 31st 08, 04:27 AM
Daniel Mahoney wrote:
> Central Iowa has had some cold weather and wind storms, but nothing like
> the folks in nearby states have been getting. IL, IN, and MO have been
> having awful winds, ND, SD, NE, and WI have getting bitter cold - all of
> you in those areas, just dig in and hang on. We're sending our purrs your
> way.
>
> Yesterday morning and this morning I woke up before my alarm went off. I
> was enjoying the nice warm bed, a warm kitty curled up on the pillow
> beside my head, another warm kitty curled up against my chest, listening
> to the wind howling outside the window - it was very hard to get out of
> bed.
>
> Now the wind has dropped to a mild breeze, no new snow has fallen, the
> temperature is up to 10 F (-12 C), wind chill of -3 F (-19 C). Not too bad
> as long as you're well wrapped up. But I don't think we'll be doing any
> snow-catting tonight.

Purrs going out. We had a flurry of snow last night, but most of it has
melted already. 'Tis another strange winter for us. Usually we're
knee-deep in snow this time of year.

Granby
January 31st 08, 04:31 AM
I got a new sewing machine and made smuggles to stop drafts under an outside
door. They work great, problem is the cats think they are fun to pull
around the room.
"Marina" > wrote in message
> Daniel Mahoney wrote:
>> Central Iowa has had some cold weather and wind storms, but nothing like
>> the folks in nearby states have been getting. IL, IN, and MO have been
>> having awful winds, ND, SD, NE, and WI have getting bitter cold - all of
>> you in those areas, just dig in and hang on. We're sending our purrs your
>> way.
>>
>> Yesterday morning and this morning I woke up before my alarm went off. I
>> was enjoying the nice warm bed, a warm kitty curled up on the pillow
>> beside my head, another warm kitty curled up against my chest, listening
>> to the wind howling outside the window - it was very hard to get out of
>> bed.
>>
>> Now the wind has dropped to a mild breeze, no new snow has fallen, the
>> temperature is up to 10 F (-12 C), wind chill of -3 F (-19 C). Not too
>> bad
>> as long as you're well wrapped up. But I don't think we'll be doing any
>> snow-catting tonight.
>
> Purrs going out. We had a flurry of snow last night, but most of it has
> melted already. 'Tis another strange winter for us. Usually we're
> knee-deep in snow this time of year.
>
> --
> Marina, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Kyla =^..^=
January 31st 08, 09:32 AM
"jofirey"

> "Daniel Mahoney"
>> Central Iowa has had some cold weather and wind storms, but nothing like
>> the folks in nearby states have been getting. IL, IN, and MO have been
>> having awful winds, ND, SD, NE, and WI have getting bitter cold - all of
>> you in those areas, just dig in and hang on. We're sending our purrs your
>> way.
>>
>> Yesterday morning and this morning I woke up before my alarm went off. I
>> was enjoying the nice warm bed, a warm kitty curled up on the pillow
>> beside my head, another warm kitty curled up against my chest, listening
>> to the wind howling outside the window - it was very hard to get out of
>> bed.
>>
>> Now the wind has dropped to a mild breeze, no new snow has fallen, the
>> temperature is up to 10 F (-12 C), wind chill of -3 F (-19 C). Not too
>> bad
>> as long as you're well wrapped up. But I don't think we'll be doing any
>> snow-catting tonight.
>>
>> Dan
>
> Lots of purrs for any cats and slaves who are having a hard time staying
> safe and warm.
>
> On a bright note, the sun came out here today. I saw one flowering tree
> in premature bloom, and daffodils in front of one house. I even sat out
> in the sun at the park for half an hour while Kayla played.
>
> Jo

Where do you live that it's Spring?
You have a cat named Kayla?
Wonderful name...very close to my name
which is Kyla
Puuuurs to all of you to keep warm
Sniff the daffydills for me, I love the fragrance:)
Puuuuuuurs
Kyla
From near Seattle Wa

Kyla =^..^=
January 31st 08, 09:34 AM
"Granby"
>I got a new sewing machine and made smuggles to stop drafts under an
>outside door. They work great, problem is the cats think they are fun to
>pull around the room.

LOL...I can just picture that....
Puuuurs to keep you warm
Kyla%b

Adrian[_2_]
January 31st 08, 11:14 AM
Daniel Mahoney wrote:
> Central Iowa has had some cold weather and wind storms, but nothing
> like the folks in nearby states have been getting. IL, IN, and MO
> have been having awful winds, ND, SD, NE, and WI have getting bitter
> cold - all of you in those areas, just dig in and hang on. We're
> sending our purrs your way.
>
> Yesterday morning and this morning I woke up before my alarm went
> off. I was enjoying the nice warm bed, a warm kitty curled up on the
> pillow beside my head, another warm kitty curled up against my chest,
> listening to the wind howling outside the window - it was very hard
> to get out of bed.
>
> Now the wind has dropped to a mild breeze, no new snow has fallen, the
> temperature is up to 10 F (-12 C), wind chill of -3 F (-19 C). Not
> too bad as long as you're well wrapped up. But I don't think we'll be
> doing any snow-catting tonight.
>
> Dan

We are very lucky in the UK, even though the most southerly point of England
is further north than all the lower 48 states we never get temperatures as
low as you do. It is a bit wet and windy today about 7°C (45°F) yesterday
was warmer and sunny and I could got out in shirt sleaves.

Purrs for everybody not as lucky as us.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Daniel Mahoney
January 31st 08, 02:15 PM
Ah yes, Seattle, land of never-ending rain. Or is that Portland?

When I was driving a truck Harri Roadcat and I spent a fair amount of time
at the company drop yard in Kent waiting for trailers or for loads. Most
of the time we spent there we had water falling from the sky. But it is a
beautiful area; Harri liked going for leash walks there, even in the rain.

Dan

Christina Websell
January 31st 08, 07:51 PM
Adrian wrote:
> Daniel Mahoney wrote:
..

> We are very lucky in the UK, even though the most southerly point of
> England is further north than all the lower 48 states we never get
> temperatures as low as you do. It is a bit wet and windy today about
> 7°C (45°F) yesterday was warmer and sunny and I could got out in
> shirt sleaves.
> Purrs for everybody not as lucky as us.

Yes., many purrs. It's horrible with mega force winds here and cold, could
not have gone out with shirt sleeves here though. I have to put buckets
filled with water on top of my chicken huts to stop the roofs being blown
off ATM.

Tweed

Granby
January 31st 08, 09:45 PM
Dan are you getting snow? It started about an hour ago and the ground is
covered already. Up to nine inches they say.
"Daniel Mahoney" > wrote in message
.. .
> Ah yes, Seattle, land of never-ending rain. Or is that Portland?
>
> When I was driving a truck Harri Roadcat and I spent a fair amount of time
> at the company drop yard in Kent waiting for trailers or for loads. Most
> of the time we spent there we had water falling from the sky. But it is a
> beautiful area; Harri liked going for leash walks there, even in the rain.
>
> Dan

Daniel Mahoney
January 31st 08, 10:36 PM
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:45:38 -0600, Granby wrote:

> Dan are you getting snow? It started about an hour ago and the ground is
> covered already. Up to nine inches they say.

Nope. National Weather Service says slight chance this afternoon, slight
chance tomorrow night, then snow, freezing rain, and sleet Sunday night
and Monday, snow MOnday night and Tuesday.

I like snow. Really. Freezing rain I could quite easily live without.

jofirey
February 1st 08, 02:48 AM
"hopitus" > wrote in message
> On Jan 31, 7:15 am, Daniel Mahoney > wrote:
>> Ah yes, Seattle, land of never-ending rain. Or is that Portland?
>>
>> When I was driving a truck Harri Roadcat and I spent a fair amount of
>> time
>> at the company drop yard in Kent waiting for trailers or for loads. Most
>> of the time we spent there we had water falling from the sky. But it is a
>> beautiful area; Harri liked going for leash walks there, even in the
>> rain.
>>
>> Dan
>
> Heh....never been to Seattle but have had several close friends who
> call
> it their hometown...bet if you lived there with all that rain you'd
> have a
> helluva lawn.

Yes, you do. But you spend every dry day mowing it.

Jo

jofirey
February 1st 08, 02:50 AM
"Kyla =^..^=" > wrote in message

> "jofirey"
>>
>> "Daniel Mahoney"
>>> Central Iowa has had some cold weather and wind storms, but nothing like
>>> the folks in nearby states have been getting. IL, IN, and MO have been
>>> having awful winds, ND, SD, NE, and WI have getting bitter cold - all of
>>> you in those areas, just dig in and hang on. We're sending our purrs
>>> your
>>> way.
>>>
>>> Yesterday morning and this morning I woke up before my alarm went off. I
>>> was enjoying the nice warm bed, a warm kitty curled up on the pillow
>>> beside my head, another warm kitty curled up against my chest, listening
>>> to the wind howling outside the window - it was very hard to get out of
>>> bed.
>>>
>>> Now the wind has dropped to a mild breeze, no new snow has fallen, the
>>> temperature is up to 10 F (-12 C), wind chill of -3 F (-19 C). Not too
>>> bad
>>> as long as you're well wrapped up. But I don't think we'll be doing any
>>> snow-catting tonight.
>>>
>>> Dan
>>
>> Lots of purrs for any cats and slaves who are having a hard time staying
>> safe and warm.
>>
>> On a bright note, the sun came out here today. I saw one flowering tree
>> in premature bloom, and daffodils in front of one house. I even sat out
>> in the sun at the park for half an hour while Kayla played.
>>
>> Jo
>
> Where do you live that it's Spring?
> You have a cat named Kayla?
> Wonderful name...very close to my name
> which is Kyla
> Puuuurs to all of you to keep warm
> Sniff the daffydills for me, I love the fragrance:)
> Puuuuuuurs
> Kyla
> From near Seattle Wa

We are in Northern California, just north of Sacramento.

Today it at least had the decency to rain. But its more like what everyone
else who is getting snow can expect in April.

The down side is I'm already behind on my yard work for the year.

Jo

jofirey
February 1st 08, 02:51 AM
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message
> Adrian wrote:
>> Daniel Mahoney wrote:
> .
>>
>> We are very lucky in the UK, even though the most southerly point of
>> England is further north than all the lower 48 states we never get
>> temperatures as low as you do. It is a bit wet and windy today about
>> 70C (450F) yesterday was warmer and sunny and I could got out in
>> shirt sleaves.
>> Purrs for everybody not as lucky as us.
>
> Yes., many purrs. It's horrible with mega force winds here and cold, could
> not have gone out with shirt sleeves here though. I have to put buckets
> filled with water on top of my chicken huts to stop the roofs being blown
> off ATM.
>
> Tweed

That sounds like miserable hard work. Purrs that the storm passes quickly.

Jo

Sam
February 1st 08, 03:31 AM
Daniel Mahoney wrote:
> Ah yes, Seattle, land of never-ending rain. Or is that Portland?
>
> When I was driving a truck Harri Roadcat and I spent a fair amount of time
> at the company drop yard in Kent waiting for trailers or for loads. Most
> of the time we spent there we had water falling from the sky. But it is a
> beautiful area; Harri liked going for leash walks there, even in the rain.
>
> Dan
Yep, it's Seattle, where people don't tan, they rust! But you should
see our two weeks of gorgeous summer!

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe

Kyla =^..^=
February 1st 08, 07:30 PM
"Daniel Mahoney"
> Ah yes, Seattle, land of never-ending rain. Or is that Portland?
>
> When I was driving a truck Harri Roadcat and I spent a fair amount of time
> at the company drop yard in Kent waiting for trailers or for loads. Most
> of the time we spent there we had water falling from the sky. But it is a
> beautiful area; Harri liked going for leash walks there, even in the rain.
>
> Dan

Dan, you live in Kent??? Me too, and IIRC, so does sam...
Wow, small World innit?
Purrs
Kyla

Kyla =^..^=
February 1st 08, 07:33 PM
"sam"
> Daniel Mahoney wrote:
>> Ah yes, Seattle, land of never-ending rain. Or is that Portland?
>>
>> When I was driving a truck Harri Roadcat and I spent a fair amount of
>> time
>> at the company drop yard in Kent waiting for trailers or for loads. Most
>> of the time we spent there we had water falling from the sky. But it is a
>> beautiful area; Harri liked going for leash walks there, even in the
>> rain.
>>
>> Dan
> Yep, it's Seattle, where people don't tan, they rust! But you should see
> our two weeks of gorgeous summer!
>
> Sam, supervised by Mistletoe

LOL..our summer in Kent last year was too hot for me...we lived in the
bedroom with the AC on..I don't do too well in the heat.
Meows
Kyla
Kent, Wa

jofirey
February 1st 08, 08:28 PM
"hopitus" > wrote in message
> On Jan 31, 7:48 pm, "jofirey" > wrote:

>> > Heh....never been to Seattle but have had several close friends who
>> > call
>> > it their hometown...bet if you lived there with all that rain you'd
>> > have a
>> > helluva lawn.
>>
>> Yes, you do. But you spend every dry day mowing it.
>>
>> Jo
> LOL in south FL I had a lush green lawn. Looks like you're a
> gardening enthusiast. Not me. I enjoyed "airing" the cats while
> I watched them eat grass and roll around on it....but I had a
> lawn care dude who came twice a month and maintained the
> triple-area sprinkler system underground. My outlook in the
> area of my upbringing was, "mad dogs and **** go out in the
> noonday sun" (leaving out the identity in an insulting old poem).
> Now that I know about where Jo is located, because I had a
> relative who once lived in a small town starting with "Wood...."
> in Yolo County, I remember how hot it was at 5pm there (didn't
> bother a Miamian) and the fun we had going to the Big City
> - Sacramento - and a funny little place with strange objects
> in the bar on the road from there to Placerville (you probably
> know of this bar/restaurant; lots of people take pics of the
> inside it is so wierd/fun). It was beginning of the 80's then.
> Has your area grown more populous lately?

We have a lot of new residential development here in Yuba City. Woodland is
completely unbelievable. Homes under ten years old probably outnumber the
older ones by at least three to one.

There are a lot of old bars like that. Charlie used to deliver beer for
Coors so he knew most of them.

We had a place in Marysville called the Chiseler's Inn, lots of old gold
mining equipment and old farm tools and such. The building just got tired
and started to sag and then eventually fell downin a matter of a day or two.

Jo

Daniel Mahoney
February 1st 08, 08:46 PM
> Dan, you live in Kent??? Me too, and IIRC, so does sam...
> Wow, small World innit?
> Purrs
> Kyla

No, I don't live there, I just used to spend a *lot* of time there when I
was still driving a truck. Right now we live in central Iowa.

Kyla =^..^=
February 2nd 08, 04:05 AM
"Daniel Mahoney" <>> Dan, you live in Kent??? Me too, and IIRC, so does
sam...
>> Wow, small World innit?
>> Purrs
>> Kyla
>
> No, I don't live there, I just used to spend a *lot* of time there when I
> was still driving a truck. Right now we live in central Iowa.

Major Buuuurs
Major puurs
Kyla%b

Kyla =^..^=
February 2nd 08, 04:16 AM
"jofirey" >
wrote in message
>>>my editing is terrible

>>> Yes, you do. But you spend every dry day mowing it.
>>>
>>> Jo
>> LOL in south FL I had a lush green lawn. Looks like you're a
>> gardening enthusiast. Not me. I enjoyed "airing" the cats while
>> I watched them eat grass and roll around on it....but I had a
>> lawn care dude who came twice a month and maintained the
>> triple-area sprinkler system underground. My outlook in the
>> area of my upbringing was, "mad dogs and **** go out in the
>> noonday sun" (leaving out the identity in an insulting old poem).
>> Now that I know about where Jo is located, because I had a
>> relative who once lived in a small town starting with "Wood...."
>> in Yolo County, I remember how hot it was at 5pm there (didn't
>> bother a Miamian) and the fun we had going to the Big City
>> - Sacramento - and a funny little place with strange objects
>> in the bar on the road from there to Placerville (you probably
>> know of this bar/restaurant; lots of people take pics of the
>> inside it is so wierd/fun). It was beginning of the 80's then.
>> Has your area grown more populous lately?
>
> We have a lot of new residential development here in Yuba City. Woodland
> is completely unbelievable. Homes under ten years old probably outnumber
> the older ones by at least three to one.
>
> There are a lot of old bars like that. Charlie used to deliver beer for
> Coors so he knew most of them.
>
> We had a place in Marysville called the Chiseler's Inn, lots of old gold
> mining equipment and old farm tools and such. The building just got tired
> and started to sag and then eventually fell downin a matter of a day or
> two.
>
> Jo

In Seattle, Coffee is a Food Group...
Birth of Starcucks, Seattle's Best Coffee. Tully's Coffe bought out the
Rainier Beer Brewery and turned it into a giant coffee plant...it smells
sooooo good when you drive by, if the wind is right...
anyhoooooo
Kyla%b
Pookie loves the capuccino foam:: I make my own...or I should say, my
husband makes me THE best latte's on the planet
Gotta go feed the fuzz guys, I'm getting yeoowled at!
Mewo
Kyla
_Pipps drags kyla out of the room

Lesley
February 2nd 08, 03:35 PM
On Feb 1, 8:16 pm, "Kyla =^..^=" > wrote:

> In Seattle, Coffee is a Food Group...
> Birth of Starcucks,

Is it a claim to fame that I have never entered a Starbucks? don't see
the point of most of these coffee's (I am not a great coffee drinker
anyway- a couple of cups at the weekend is about my limit unlike Dave
who basically is fuelled by the stuff! Tea is another matter)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Granby
February 2nd 08, 04:52 PM
Between what I have and what Lee has given me, I counted the other day and
have 27 different types of tea. I have had Starbucks one and Lee's DH paid
for that!!!! I am about to get tot into the loose tea brewing. Always used
tea bags but want to do the brew thing but don't know enough about what kind
of pot should really have. There are a gazillion.
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "Lesley" > wrote in message
>> On Feb 1, 8:16 pm, "Kyla =^..^=" > wrote:
>>

>>> In Seattle, Coffee is a Food Group...
>>> Birth of Starcucks,
>>
>> Is it a claim to fame that I have never entered a Starbucks? don't see
>> the point of most of these coffee's (I am not a great coffee drinker
>> anyway- a couple of cups at the weekend is about my limit unlike Dave
>> who basically is fuelled by the stuff! Tea is another matter)
>>
>> Lesley
>>
>> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
>
> I would never go in a starbucks there is no way on earth I would pay 9
> bucks for a cup of coffee when I could get make my own and better for a
> cheaper price. Now as Lesley said I might pay that much for a good cup
> of tea if it was something I never had before

Debbie Wilson
February 2nd 08, 05:37 PM
Granby > wrote:

> Between what I have and what Lee has given me, I counted the other day and
> have 27 different types of tea. I have had Starbucks one and Lee's DH paid
> for that!!!! I am about to get tot into the loose tea brewing. Always used
> tea bags but want to do the brew thing but don't know enough about what kind
> of pot should really have. There are a gazillion.

Don't think it really matters as long as it has a handle, lid, and spout
:-) Put one teaspoon of tea leaves per person plus one for the pot,
fill with boiling water, brew 3-5 mins according to taste.
I did have a Bodum teapot but I didn't like it at all, the tea leaves
didn't brew nicely and the inner part got stained with tannin very fast.
The most usual English teapot for everyday use would be something like
this:
http://www.englishteastore.com/amte.html
or this:
http://www.legendcookshop.co.uk/erol.html#2867x0&&

Optional extra is a tea cosy to stop the pot cooling while the tea
brews. You also need a tea strainer to catch the tea leaves when you
pour it into the cup.

This is quite a nice site:
http://www.englishteastore.com/howtomaketea.html

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

jofirey
February 2nd 08, 05:43 PM
"Granby" > wrote in message
> Between what I have and what Lee has given me, I counted the other day and
> have 27 different types of tea. I have had Starbucks one and Lee's DH
> paid for that!!!! I am about to get tot into the loose tea brewing.
> Always used tea bags but want to do the brew thing but don't know enough
> about what kind of pot should really have. There are a gazillion.

In my own humble opinion there is nothing like a solid aluminum tea pot for
brewing loose leaf tea. I've had one for forty years after Charlie insisted
I find one when we were first married.

He got the idea in his head when he lived in Scotland (and was married to a
Edinburgh girl)

I like that I can leave it on a warm - not hot - burner on the stove and get
two or three cups before it gets cold.

My youngest grandson is the other real tea drinker in the house. We often
share a few cups on a chilly afternoon. Once in a great while I even break
down and make some decent shortbread.

Jo

Granby
February 2nd 08, 05:48 PM
This is the kind of information I wanted. There were about six different
kids at Linens 'an Things the other day. I also have seen them in every
shape possible. It was the "innerds" of think I wanted to know about.
Thank you.
"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Granby > wrote:
>
>> Between what I have and what Lee has given me, I counted the other day
>> and
>> have 27 different types of tea. I have had Starbucks one and Lee's DH
>> paid
>> for that!!!! I am about to get tot into the loose tea brewing. Always
>> used
>> tea bags but want to do the brew thing but don't know enough about what
>> kind
>> of pot should really have. There are a gazillion.
>
> Don't think it really matters as long as it has a handle, lid, and spout
> :-) Put one teaspoon of tea leaves per person plus one for the pot,
> fill with boiling water, brew 3-5 mins according to taste.
> I did have a Bodum teapot but I didn't like it at all, the tea leaves
> didn't brew nicely and the inner part got stained with tannin very fast.
> The most usual English teapot for everyday use would be something like
> this:
> http://www.englishteastore.com/amte.html
> or this:
> http://www.legendcookshop.co.uk/erol.html#2867x0&&
>
> Optional extra is a tea cosy to stop the pot cooling while the tea
> brews. You also need a tea strainer to catch the tea leaves when you
> pour it into the cup.
>
> This is quite a nice site:
> http://www.englishteastore.com/howtomaketea.html
>
> Deb.
> --
> http://www.scientific-art.com
>
> "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
> He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

Granby
February 2nd 08, 05:50 PM
Thank you, the sharing with a friend, relative, has to be the best part of
the tea drinking.
"jofirey" > wrote in message

> "Granby" > wrote in message
>> Between what I have and what Lee has given me, I counted the other day
>> and have 27 different types of tea. I have had Starbucks one and Lee's
>> DH paid for that!!!! I am about to get tot into the loose tea brewing.
>> Always used tea bags but want to do the brew thing but don't know enough
>> about what kind of pot should really have. There are a gazillion.
>

> In my own humble opinion there is nothing like a solid aluminum tea pot
> for brewing loose leaf tea. I've had one for forty years after Charlie
> insisted I find one when we were first married.
>
> He got the idea in his head when he lived in Scotland (and was married to
> a Edinburgh girl)
>
> I like that I can leave it on a warm - not hot - burner on the stove and
> get two or three cups before it gets cold.
>
> My youngest grandson is the other real tea drinker in the house. We often
> share a few cups on a chilly afternoon. Once in a great while I even
> break down and make some decent shortbread.
>
> Jo

Debbie Wilson
February 2nd 08, 06:53 PM
Granby > wrote:

> This is the kind of information I wanted. There were about six different
> kids at Linens 'an Things the other day. I also have seen them in every
> shape possible. It was the "innerds" of think I wanted to know about.
> Thank you.

I think most of the ones I've seen have nothing special inside. The only
thing I can think of is sometimes there is a sieve-type plate built in
to the base of the spout to catch tea leaves, but mostly I would use a
tea strainer anyway.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Granby
February 2nd 08, 07:20 PM
Will do, thank you.
"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Granby > wrote:
>
>> This is the kind of information I wanted. There were about six different
>> kids at Linens 'an Things the other day. I also have seen them in every
>> shape possible. It was the "innerds" of think I wanted to know about.
>> Thank you.
>
> I think most of the ones I've seen have nothing special inside. The only
> thing I can think of is sometimes there is a sieve-type plate built in
> to the base of the spout to catch tea leaves, but mostly I would use a
> tea strainer anyway.
>
> Deb.
> --
> http://www.scientific-art.com
>
> "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
> He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

Marina
February 2nd 08, 08:37 PM
Debbie Wilson wrote:
> The most usual English teapot for everyday use would be something like
> this:
> http://www.englishteastore.com/amte.html
> or this:
> http://www.legendcookshop.co.uk/erol.html#2867x0&&

Thanks so much for posting this link, Debbie. I've been looking high and
low for a good tea pot, but I can only find boring white ones here. I
thought they may only ship in the UK, but no, they do ship overseas. Yay!

And look what I found:

http://www.legendcookshop.co.uk/erol.html#2867x0&&

Kyla =^..^=
February 3rd 08, 03:24 AM
"Lesley" > On Feb 1, 8:16 pm,
"Kyla =^..^=" < wrote:

>> In Seattle, Coffee is a Food Group...
>> Birth of Starcucks,
>
> Is it a claim to fame that I have never entered a Starbucks?

YES:) But it sure smells good...

don't see
> the point of most of these coffee's (I am not a great coffee drinker
> anyway- a couple of cups at the weekend is about my limit unlike Dave
> who basically is fuelled by the stuff!

LOL...we use a dark KIVU brand French Roast.. Grind it at the store.
Dutch for his pot of coffee and I usually have one homemade latte a day.
We have a machine and I like the flavors;)

Tea is another matter)

I LOVE my chammommile tea at night...I make it strong
It is really relaxing.
mmmmmmm:)

> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Kyla%b
near Seattle
slave to 4 Furballs

Kyla =^..^=
February 3rd 08, 03:32 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "Lesley" > wrote in message
>> On Feb 1, 8:16 pm, "Kyla =^..^=" > wrote:
>>

>>> In Seattle, Coffee is a Food Group...
>>> Birth of Starcucks,
>>
>> Is it a claim to fame that I have never entered a Starbucks? don't see
>> the point of most of these coffee's (I am not a great coffee drinker
>> anyway- a couple of cups at the weekend is about my limit unlike Dave
>> who basically is fuelled by the stuff! Tea is another matter)
>>
>> Lesley
>>
>> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
>
> I would never go in a starbucks there is no way on earth I would pay 9
> bucks for a cup of coffee when I could get make my own and better for a
> cheaper price.

NINE bucks??? where do you live again? Outrageous!!
You could buy almost a whole pound of beans for that..
We wait till it's $5.99lb..

Now as Lesley said I might pay that much for a good cup of tea
if it was something I never had before

Have you had tea before? Even tea,at it's best, isn't worth that much.
JMO

Kyla%b
From near Seattle
Where Coffee is a Food Group
Have a latte'
0oOO00oo
(____)J 0ooO
the wind blew some of the foam off, sorry

Kyla =^..^=
February 3rd 08, 03:34 AM
"Granby" <
> This is the kind of information I wanted. There were about six different
> kids at Linens 'an Things the other day. I also have seen them in every
> shape possible. It was the "innerds" of think I wanted to know about.
> Thank you.

I have only tea Bags here..the loose tea didn't work out too well.
Kyla

> "Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
>> Granby > wrote:
>>
>>> Between what I have and what Lee has given me, I counted the other day
>>> and
>>> have 27 different types of tea. I have had Starbucks one and Lee's DH
>>> paid
>>> for that!!!! I am about to get tot into the loose tea brewing. Always
>>> used
>>> tea bags but want to do the brew thing but don't know enough about what
>>> kind
>>> of pot should really have. There are a gazillion.
>>
>> Don't think it really matters as long as it has a handle, lid, and spout
>> :-) Put one teaspoon of tea leaves per person plus one for the pot,
>> fill with boiling water, brew 3-5 mins according to taste.
>> I did have a Bodum teapot but I didn't like it at all, the tea leaves
>> didn't brew nicely and the inner part got stained with tannin very fast.
>> The most usual English teapot for everyday use would be something like
>> this:
>> http://www.englishteastore.com/amte.html
>> or this:
>> http://www.legendcookshop.co.uk/erol.html#2867x0&&
>>
>> Optional extra is a tea cosy to stop the pot cooling while the tea
>> brews. You also need a tea strainer to catch the tea leaves when you
>> pour it into the cup.
>>
>> This is quite a nice site:
>> http://www.englishteastore.com/howtomaketea.html
>>
>> Deb.
>> --
>> http://www.scientific-art.com
>>
>> "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
>> He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

Kyla =^..^=
February 3rd 08, 03:40 AM
"Daniel Mahoney" > On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:45:38 -0600, Granby wrote:

>> Dan are you getting snow? It started about an hour ago and the ground is
>> covered already. Up to nine inches they say.
>
> Nope. National Weather Service says slight chance this afternoon, slight
> chance tomorrow night, then snow, freezing rain, and sleet Sunday night
> and Monday, snow MOnday night and Tuesday.
>
> I like snow. Really. Freezing rain I could quite easily live without.

Well, more in falling in the Cascades, they still haven't re-opened the
roads and are doing 'controlled avalanches' up on Snoqualmi Falls and near
Mt Rainier... 'controlled avalanches' ...what an oxymoron;)
..weather footage shows people being stuck on The Pass...
Down here, it's just the same ol freezing rain...
PUUUrz
Kyla%b
and Clowder

Christine K.
February 3rd 08, 07:43 AM
Debbie Wilson kirjoitti:
> Granby > wrote:
>
>> This is the kind of information I wanted. There were about six different
>> kids at Linens 'an Things the other day. I also have seen them in every
>> shape possible. It was the "innerds" of think I wanted to know about.
>> Thank you.
>
> I think most of the ones I've seen have nothing special inside. The only
> thing I can think of is sometimes there is a sieve-type plate built in
> to the base of the spout to catch tea leaves, but mostly I would use a
> tea strainer anyway.
>
> Deb.

I don't use a strainer, but then I don't let the tea leaves swim along
in the pot just like that either. This is what I use:

In a pot I use these kinds of filter bags:
http://family.webshots.com/photo/2695011350065970501djSlDp

And in just one mugful of tea I use a "pincher spoon":
http://family.webshots.com/photo/2353111190065970501koZzaV

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

Debbie Wilson
February 3rd 08, 10:30 AM
Marina > wrote:

> Thanks so much for posting this link, Debbie. I've been looking high and
> low for a good tea pot, but I can only find boring white ones here. I
> thought they may only ship in the UK, but no, they do ship overseas. Yay!
>
> And look what I found:
>
> http://www.legendcookshop.co.uk/erol.html#2867x0&&

That just linked to the same page, but I am guessing it might have been
meant to show the 'Purr-fect' tea cosy? :-) Very cute :-))) Good news
that they ship overseas. If you have a problem getting something you
particularly want, let me know and I can get it and send it to you
myefl.

All this tea-making makes me think I should get a proper teapot myself -
I have two infusers a bit like Christine's, but it's just not quite the
same as a nice homely pot of Rosie :-)

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Debbie Wilson
February 3rd 08, 10:30 AM
Christine K. > wrote:

> In a pot I use these kinds of filter bags:
> http://family.webshots.com/photo/2695011350065970501djSlDp

Very nifty - a DIY giant teabag!

> And in just one mugful of tea I use a "pincher spoon":
> http://family.webshots.com/photo/2353111190065970501koZzaV

I have something like that myself - except the mesh ball is on a chain
that hooks over the edge of the cup. Same principle, though, and great
for making fresh mint tea from the garden.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Marina
February 3rd 08, 10:39 AM
Debbie Wilson wrote:

> That just linked to the same page, but I am guessing it might have been
> meant to show the 'Purr-fect' tea cosy? :-) Very cute :-)))

Ackshully, it was a set of cat-shaped cookie cutters (Bakeware > Cookie
cutters > Sets). Sorry about that.

Good news
> that they ship overseas. If you have a problem getting something you
> particularly want, let me know and I can get it and send it to you
> myefl.

Thank you, I might hold you to that. :)

Christine K.
February 3rd 08, 11:12 AM
Marina kirjoitti:
> Debbie Wilson wrote:
>> The most usual English teapot for everyday use would be something like
>> this:
>> http://www.englishteastore.com/amte.html
>> or this:
>> http://www.legendcookshop.co.uk/erol.html#2867x0&&
>
> Thanks so much for posting this link, Debbie. I've been looking high and
> low for a good tea pot, but I can only find boring white ones here. I
> thought they may only ship in the UK, but no, they do ship overseas. Yay!
>
> And look what I found:
>
> http://www.legendcookshop.co.uk/erol.html#2867x0&&

Well at least Mokkamestarit in Tampere have all kinds of teapots too,
but not sure if they're included in their webstore items. However,
should you for some reason be in Tampere, you might want to look them up.
http://www.mokkamestarit.fi/
(Look under Muut tuotteet and ...valmistusvälineet)

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

Debbie Wilson
February 3rd 08, 11:18 AM
Marina > wrote:

> Ackshully, it was a set of cat-shaped cookie cutters (Bakeware > Cookie
> cutters > Sets). Sorry about that.

Sweet! I am intrigued by the 'Western' set as well, which includes a
vulture and a boot. Tasty :-))

> Thank you, I might hold you to that. :)

No probs - just let me know.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Stormmee
February 3rd 08, 02:05 PM
I really wish you hadn't posted this. Lee, drooling
Debbie Wilson > wrote in message
> Granby > wrote:
>
> > Between what I have and what Lee has given me, I counted the other day
and
> > have 27 different types of tea. I have had Starbucks one and Lee's DH
paid
> > for that!!!! I am about to get tot into the loose tea brewing. Always
used
> > tea bags but want to do the brew thing but don't know enough about what
kind
> > of pot should really have. There are a gazillion.
>
> Don't think it really matters as long as it has a handle, lid, and spout
> :-) Put one teaspoon of tea leaves per person plus one for the pot,
> fill with boiling water, brew 3-5 mins according to taste.
> I did have a Bodum teapot but I didn't like it at all, the tea leaves
> didn't brew nicely and the inner part got stained with tannin very fast.
> The most usual English teapot for everyday use would be something like
> this:
> http://www.englishteastore.com/amte.html
> or this:
> http://www.legendcookshop.co.uk/erol.html#2867x0&&
>
> Optional extra is a tea cosy to stop the pot cooling while the tea
> brews. You also need a tea strainer to catch the tea leaves when you
> pour it into the cup.
>
> This is quite a nice site:
> http://www.englishteastore.com/howtomaketea.html
>
> Deb.
> --
> http://www.scientific-art.com
>
> "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
> He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

Stormmee
February 3rd 08, 02:12 PM
now a shortbread recipe would be nice, Lee
jofirey > wrote in message

> "Granby" > wrote in message
> > Between what I have and what Lee has given me, I counted the other day
and
> > have 27 different types of tea. I have had Starbucks one and Lee's DH
> > paid for that!!!! I am about to get tot into the loose tea brewing.
> > Always used tea bags but want to do the brew thing but don't know enough
> > about what kind of pot should really have. There are a gazillion.
>

> In my own humble opinion there is nothing like a solid aluminum tea pot
for
> brewing loose leaf tea. I've had one for forty years after Charlie
insisted
> I find one when we were first married.
>
> He got the idea in his head when he lived in Scotland (and was married to
> Edinburgh girl)
>
> I like that I can leave it on a warm - not hot - burner on the stove and
get
> two or three cups before it gets cold.
>
> My youngest grandson is the other real tea drinker in the house. We often
> share a few cups on a chilly afternoon. Once in a great while I even
break
> down and make some decent shortbread.
>
> Jo

Debbie Wilson
February 3rd 08, 02:40 PM
Stormmee > wrote:

> I really wish you hadn't posted this. Lee, drooling

heh, sorry ;-)

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Stormmee
February 3rd 08, 02:46 PM
am a tea Junkie, love everything about tea... coffee is fine for the morning
and helps with the headaches, but tea, that is much more about the ritual,
Lee
Debbie Wilson > wrote in message
> Stormmee > wrote:
>
> > I really wish you hadn't posted this. Lee, drooling
>
> heh, sorry ;-)
>
> Deb.
> --
> http://www.scientific-art.com
>
> "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
> He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

polonca12000
February 8th 08, 10:12 PM
Daniel Mahoney wrote:

> Central Iowa has had some cold weather and wind storms, but nothing like
> the folks in nearby states have been getting. IL, IN, and MO have been
> having awful winds, ND, SD, NE, and WI have getting bitter cold - all of
> you in those areas, just dig in and hang on. We're sending our purrs your
> way.
>
> Yesterday morning and this morning I woke up before my alarm went off. I
> was enjoying the nice warm bed, a warm kitty curled up on the pillow
> beside my head, another warm kitty curled up against my chest, listening
> to the wind howling outside the window - it was very hard to get out of
> bed.
>
> Now the wind has dropped to a mild breeze, no new snow has fallen, the
> temperature is up to 10 F (-12 C), wind chill of -3 F (-19 C). Not too bad
> as long as you're well wrapped up. But I don't think we'll be doing any
> snow-catting tonight.
>
> Dan

LOts and lots of purrs,
Polonca and Soncek