PDA

View Full Version : It's where they poop

Enfilade
February 8th 08, 02:00 AM
We went on vacation the last week and we were going to get my friend
who lives across the street to cat sit, but she has been sick and
couldn't do it. So Dylan asked one of his co workers who lives in the
same building and she said she would.

Oh dear. Ratha moved to Canada from Sri Lanka last year and no sooner
did she come in than I realized she has probably never cared for a
cat. She is looking at them like they are weird, weird creatures, and
not making any move to get too close to them. The cats, of course,
are looking at her in /exactly/ the same way ("why is this freaky lady
here? She doesn't impress me much!").

So we show Ratha where the food and dishes are and then comes the
litter box.

Dylan: "And here is one of the litter boxes. We have four."
Ratha: "This is where...they sleep?"

What do you say to that?

Silence. Finally, Dylan manages, "No, that's where they, uh, poop."

Ratha nods seriously and repeats. "They poop." She thinks about
that. "Then what do I do?"

Dylan demonstrates how one cleans a litter box.

I try not to bust out laughing. I mostly succeed.

I take comfort in the fact that Ratha is a doctor and can't be that
afraid of a little poop.

Anyway, the cats were fine while we were gone but oh my....

--Fil

Kreisleriana[_3_]
February 8th 08, 02:11 AM
"Enfilade" > wrote in message
> We went on vacation the last week and we were going to get my friend
> who lives across the street to cat sit, but she has been sick and
> couldn't do it. So Dylan asked one of his co workers who lives in the
> same building and she said she would.
>
> Oh dear. Ratha moved to Canada from Sri Lanka last year and no sooner
> did she come in than I realized she has probably never cared for a
> cat. She is looking at them like they are weird, weird creatures, and
> not making any move to get too close to them. The cats, of course,
> are looking at her in /exactly/ the same way ("why is this freaky lady
> here? She doesn't impress me much!").
>
> So we show Ratha where the food and dishes are and then comes the
> litter box.
>
> Dylan: "And here is one of the litter boxes. We have four."
> Ratha: "This is where...they sleep?"
>
> What do you say to that?
>
> Silence. Finally, Dylan manages, "No, that's where they, uh, poop."
>
> Ratha nods seriously and repeats. "They poop." She thinks about
> that. "Then what do I do?"
>
> Dylan demonstrates how one cleans a litter box.
>
> I try not to bust out laughing. I mostly succeed.
>
> I take comfort in the fact that Ratha is a doctor and can't be that
> afraid of a little poop.
>
> Anyway, the cats were fine while we were gone but oh my....

That's always a bit of a turn, isn't it? Last summer I had a computer tech
in, and he seemed absolutely terrified of the cats. Dante always runs away
when someone first comes in, but if they're quiet, he quickly comes by to
investigate. Stinky is of course, the Official Greeter. So the guy's
working away, and all of a sudden he stands up. I swear, he almost goes up
on the chair. "Um . Erm" He says. "What's the matter?" "Um. Erm," he
says, looking at Stinky as if the cat was wearing a little explosives belt
"What does that cat *want*?"

Oh my indeed.

nik Simpson
February 8th 08, 03:18 AM
Kreisleriana wrote:
> "Enfilade" > wrote in message
>> We went on vacation the last week and we were going to get my friend
>> who lives across the street to cat sit, but she has been sick and
>> couldn't do it. So Dylan asked one of his co workers who lives in the
>> same building and she said she would.
>>
>> Oh dear. Ratha moved to Canada from Sri Lanka last year and no sooner
>> did she come in than I realized she has probably never cared for a
>> cat. She is looking at them like they are weird, weird creatures, and
>> not making any move to get too close to them. The cats, of course,
>> are looking at her in /exactly/ the same way ("why is this freaky lady
>> here? She doesn't impress me much!").
>>
>> So we show Ratha where the food and dishes are and then comes the
>> litter box.
>>
>> Dylan: "And here is one of the litter boxes. We have four."
>> Ratha: "This is where...they sleep?"
>>
>> What do you say to that?
>>
>> Silence. Finally, Dylan manages, "No, that's where they, uh, poop."
>>
>> Ratha nods seriously and repeats. "They poop." She thinks about
>> that. "Then what do I do?"
>>
>> Dylan demonstrates how one cleans a litter box.
>>
>> I try not to bust out laughing. I mostly succeed.
>>
>> I take comfort in the fact that Ratha is a doctor and can't be that
>> afraid of a little poop.
>>
>> Anyway, the cats were fine while we were gone but oh my....
>

> That's always a bit of a turn, isn't it? Last summer I had a computer tech
> in, and he seemed absolutely terrified of the cats. Dante always runs away
> when someone first comes in, but if they're quiet, he quickly comes by to
> investigate. Stinky is of course, the Official Greeter. So the guy's
> working away, and all of a sudden he stands up. I swear, he almost goes up
> on the chair. "Um . Erm" He says. "What's the matter?" "Um. Erm," he
> says, looking at Stinky as if the cat was wearing a little explosives belt
> "What does that cat *want*?"

In my final year at college I took a room at house owned by two Siamese
who would "vet" any prospective tenants that their human slaves might be
considering. No problem for me, I passed with flying colours, when I
moved in they went through my stuff like a pair of German customs
inspectors. They warmed to me though and they particularly liked my
electric blanket. I'd turn it on when I went to the pub, when I got home
I'd almost always find two rather smug looking Siamese (is there any
other kind :-) curled on the blanket. I only got the room because they
drove the previous tenant off, he didn't get cats and they made his life
hell, finally getting their message across by biting him :-)

--
Nik Simpson

Lesley
February 8th 08, 04:03 PM
On Feb 7, 6:00*pm, Enfilade > wrote:

> Dylan: *"And here is one of the litter boxes. *We have four."
> Ratha: *"This is where...they sleep?"
>
> What do you say to that?

I've had two people ask if the litter tray was their food dish. One of
them, an occupational therapist seemed stunned that we put the cats
toilet in the bathroom and their food and water in the kitchen! I did
say "Well you wouldn't want to eat in the bathroom would you?"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
February 8th 08, 05:27 PM
Kreisleriana wrote:

> That's always a bit of a turn, isn't it? Last summer I had a computer tech
> in, and he seemed absolutely terrified of the cats. Dante always runs away
> when someone first comes in, but if they're quiet, he quickly comes by to
> investigate. Stinky is of course, the Official Greeter. So the guy's
> working away, and all of a sudden he stands up. I swear, he almost goes up
> on the chair. "Um . Erm" He says. "What's the matter?" "Um. Erm," he
> says, looking at Stinky as if the cat was wearing a little explosives belt
> "What does that cat *want*?"
>
> Oh my indeed.

In conformity with Murphy's Law, most repair people who
appear here are allergic to cats! They don't SAY anything,
but the sneezing and teary eyes are a dead give-away - I've
learned to keep a box of tissues handy. (The one I felt
sorriest for was the moving man who carried in a well
be-furred cat tower, asking - in the midst of his sneezes -
"Where do you want this?") Those who aren't allergic
generally enjoy the friendly curiosity my cats show them.
They especially like Melisande, whose fur is exceptionally
soft, and who begs to be petted by any available hand.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
February 8th 08, 05:36 PM
Lesley wrote:

> On Feb 7, 6:00 pm, Enfilade > wrote:
>

>>Dylan: "And here is one of the litter boxes. We have four."
>>Ratha: "This is where...they sleep?"
>>
>>What do you say to that?
>>

> I've had two people ask if the litter tray was their food dish. One of
> them, an occupational therapist seemed stunned that we put the cats
> toilet in the bathroom and their food and water in the kitchen! I did
> say "Well you wouldn't want to eat in the bathroom would you?"

LOL! You remind me of a lady at an Overeaters Anonymous
meeting, who confessed to buying a half-gallon of ice-cream
and scarfing it down in a stall in the store's ladies room!
I can relate to compulsive eating, but I'm thankful mine
only occurs in appropriate places. (I may eat ice-cream
directly from the carton sometimes, but I can at least wait
until I'm in my own kitchen.)

Jack Campin - bogus address
February 8th 08, 05:46 PM
> Last summer I had a computer tech in, and he seemed absolutely
> terrified of the cats. Dante always runs away when someone
> first comes in, but if they're quiet, he quickly comes by to
> investigate. Stinky is of course, the Official Greeter. So
> the guy's working away, and all of a sudden he stands up. I
> swear, he almost goes up on the chair. "Um . Erm" He says.
> "What's the matter?" "Um. Erm," he says, looking at Stinky as
> if the cat was wearing a little explosives belt "What does that
> cat *want*?"

Cue thunderous organ music and cavernous reverb on the voice...

"...YOU..."

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === <http://www.campin.me.uk> ====

Lesley
February 8th 08, 07:05 PM
On Feb 8, 9:27*am, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
> wrote:
>
> In conformity with Murphy's Law, most repair people who
> appear here are allergic to cats!

Or terrified of them- when The Fabulous Furballs were about 7 months
old we had workmen in to put in a new central heating system. Most of
them liked the cats and Dunzi liked their bacon rolls (as I've said
before for some reason the bacon rolls from the cafe over the road
were a much prized delicacy when she was getting them from the workmen
but if we eat them she shows no interest at all) but we once had a
strapping almost 7 foot tall carpenter who ended up backed into the
corner, ash white and gasping "It's coming towards me!"

"It" was Dunzi who must have weighed the best part of 3 pounds at the
time and just wanted the new "friend" to stroke her

We were good and managed not to laugh until he left the room

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

February 8th 08, 07:15 PM
Lesley > wrote:

> an occupational therapist seemed stunned that we put the cats
> toilet in the bathroom and their food and water in the kitchen!

That's pretty weird! I mean, you could put these things in different
places if you wanted to, but is there something shocking about having
a cat's toilet in the same room as yours, and the cat's food area
being in the same area as yours??

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

February 8th 08, 07:23 PM
Jack Campin - bogus address > wrote:

>> the guy's working away, and all of a sudden he stands up. I
>> swear, he almost goes up on the chair. "Um . Erm" He says.
>> "What's the matter?" "Um. Erm," he says, looking at Stinky as
>> if the cat was wearing a little explosives belt "What does that
>> cat *want*?"

> Cue thunderous organ music and cavernous reverb on the voice...

> "...YOU..."

When the human brings in the steak sauce, that's the time to get worried.

I remember hearing another story about a person who was afraid of cats,
who also asked, "What does that cat want?" Was that posted here?

It's a funny question. I mean, if I had a cat phobia, I might say something
like, "Don't let it touch me," or "Do you think it's going to bite me?"
or "I'm really scared of cats, could you shut him out of the room, please?"
etc. I don't think I'd be concerned with what the cat *wants*.

It's just an odd thing to wonder about, as though the cat were plotting
the person's demise or something. Even if I had a cat phobia, I think I'd
be rational enough to remember that cats don't do this! (LOL, is that a
straight-line or what?? :))

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

Lesley
February 8th 08, 07:30 PM
On Feb 8, 11:23*am, wrote:

> It's just an odd thing to wonder about, as though the cat were plotting
> the person's demise or something. Even if I had a cat phobia, I think I'd
> be rational enough to remember that cats don't do this!

See my other thread labelled "BOTH of them!"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Lesley
February 8th 08, 07:31 PM
On Feb 8, 11:15*am, wrote:
is there something shocking about having
> a cat's toilet in the same room as yours, and the cat's food area
> being in the same area as yours??

I think he THOUGHT we were weird

That's okay with me I KNOW I am!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

February 8th 08, 07:47 PM
Lesley > wrote:

> On Feb 8, 9:27?am, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
> > wrote:
> >
> > In conformity with Murphy's Law, most repair people who
> > appear here are allergic to cats!

> Or terrified of them- when The Fabulous Furballs were about 7 months
> old we had workmen in to put in a new central heating system. Most of
> them liked the cats and Dunzi liked their bacon rolls (as I've said
> before for some reason the bacon rolls from the cafe over the road
> were a much prized delicacy when she was getting them from the workmen
> but if we eat them she shows no interest at all) but we once had a
> strapping almost 7 foot tall carpenter who ended up backed into the
> corner, ash white and gasping "It's coming towards me!"

> "It" was Dunzi who must have weighed the best part of 3 pounds at the
> time and just wanted the new "friend" to stroke her

> We were good and managed not to laugh until he left the room

Where as I have no such constraint - LOL!!

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

Lesley
February 8th 08, 08:12 PM
On Feb 8, 11:47*am, wrote:

> Where as I have no such constraint - LOL!!

I always feel sorry for cat phobics and hope to convert them. They
don't know what they are missing

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Kreisleriana[_3_]
February 8th 08, 08:34 PM
"Jack Campin - bogus address" > wrote in message
>> Last summer I had a computer tech in, and he seemed absolutely
>> terrified of the cats. Dante always runs away when someone
>> first comes in, but if they're quiet, he quickly comes by to
>> investigate. Stinky is of course, the Official Greeter. So
>> the guy's working away, and all of a sudden he stands up. I
>> swear, he almost goes up on the chair. "Um . Erm" He says.
>> "What's the matter?" "Um. Erm," he says, looking at Stinky as
>> if the cat was wearing a little explosives belt "What does that
>> cat *want*?"
>
> Cue thunderous organ music and cavernous reverb on the voice...
>
> "...YOU..."

Oh, believe me, it took all I had to say "He just wants to say hello,"
rather than "He wants to eat your face off." ;)

Kreisleriana[_3_]
February 8th 08, 08:34 PM
> wrote in message
> Jack Campin - bogus address > wrote:
>
> >> the guy's working away, and all of a sudden he stands up. I
> >> swear, he almost goes up on the chair. "Um . Erm" He says.
> >> "What's the matter?" "Um. Erm," he says, looking at Stinky as
> >> if the cat was wearing a little explosives belt "What does that
> >> cat *want*?"
>
> > Cue thunderous organ music and cavernous reverb on the voice...
>
> > "...YOU..."
>
> When the human brings in the steak sauce, that's the time to get worried.
>
> I remember hearing another story about a person who was afraid of cats,
> who also asked, "What does that cat want?" Was that posted here?

I think I might have told the story before.

Adrian[_2_]
February 8th 08, 10:07 PM
Lesley wrote:
> On Feb 8, 11:15 am, wrote:
> is there something shocking about having
>> a cat's toilet in the same room as yours, and the cat's food area
>> being in the same area as yours??
>>
> I think he THOUGHT we were weird
>
> That's okay with me I KNOW I am!
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Being normal is overated, so I'm told. ;-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Karen AKA Kajikit
February 9th 08, 01:03 AM
On 08 Feb 2008 19:15:55 GMT, wrote:

>Lesley > wrote:
>
> > an occupational therapist seemed stunned that we put the cats
> > toilet in the bathroom and their food and water in the kitchen!
>
>That's pretty weird! I mean, you could put these things in different
>places if you wanted to, but is there something shocking about having
>a cat's toilet in the same room as yours, and the cat's food area
>being in the same area as yours??

Mama was horrified when I mentioned that we wash the cats food dishes
at the same time as the rest of the dirty dishes... you'd think that
catfood remnants were nuclear waste and cat spit was deadly poison
from the way she carried on!

Christina Websell
February 9th 08, 01:11 AM
"Adrian" > wrote in message
om...
> Lesley wrote:
>> On Feb 8, 11:15 am, wrote:
>> is there something shocking about having
>>> a cat's toilet in the same room as yours, and the cat's food area
>>> being in the same area as yours??
>>>
>> I think he THOUGHT we were weird
>>
>> That's okay with me I KNOW I am!
>
> Being normal is overated, so I'm told. ;-)

There is no such thing as "normal" only what we are comfortable with in our
own lives.

Tweed

February 9th 08, 01:13 AM
Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:

> Mama was horrified when I mentioned that we wash the cats food dishes
> at the same time as the rest of the dirty dishes... you'd think that
> catfood remnants were nuclear waste and cat spit was deadly poison
> from the way she carried on!

Doesn't she understand the concept of "washing"? :)

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
February 9th 08, 02:10 AM
wrote:
> Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:
>
> > Mama was horrified when I mentioned that we wash the cats food dishes
> > at the same time as the rest of the dirty dishes... you'd think that
> > catfood remnants were nuclear waste and cat spit was deadly poison
> > from the way she carried on!
>
> Doesn't she understand the concept of "washing"? :)

When I was little, we had a neighbor who made absolutely
FABULOUS plum butter. I remember once, when she gave my mom
a generous portion of same, Mom was very reluctant to serve
it, because the neighbor had put it into a dish Mom had seen
one of their dogs eating from. (For many years I visualized
the woman picking the dish up off the floor and loading the
plum butter into it!) My mom was a bit paranoid about
cleanliness - she not only washed her dishes in hot water
and soap ("detergent" hadn't yet been invented), but rinsed
them by pouring boiling hot water over them.

Granby
February 9th 08, 02:21 AM
If eating something after there had been a food test by cats was lethal, I
for one would have left this earth years ago.
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote in message

> wrote:
>> Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:
>>
>> > Mama was horrified when I mentioned that we wash the cats food dishes
>> > at the same time as the rest of the dirty dishes... you'd think that
>> > catfood remnants were nuclear waste and cat spit was deadly poison
>> > from the way she carried on! Doesn't she understand the concept of
>> "washing"? :)
>
> When I was little, we had a neighbor who made absolutely FABULOUS plum
> butter. I remember once, when she gave my mom a generous portion of same,
> Mom was very reluctant to serve it, because the neighbor had put it into a
> dish Mom had seen one of their dogs eating from. (For many years I
> visualized the woman picking the dish up off the floor and loading the
> plum butter into it!) My mom was a bit paranoid about cleanliness - she
> not only washed her dishes in hot water and soap ("detergent" hadn't yet
> been invented), but rinsed them by pouring boiling hot water over them.

February 9th 08, 02:42 AM
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote:

> When I was little, we had a neighbor who made absolutely
> FABULOUS plum butter. I remember once, when she gave my mom
> a generous portion of same, Mom was very reluctant to serve
> it, because the neighbor had put it into a dish Mom had seen
> one of their dogs eating from. (For many years I visualized
> the woman picking the dish up off the floor and loading the
> plum butter into it!) My mom was a bit paranoid about
> cleanliness - she not only washed her dishes in hot water
> and soap ("detergent" hadn't yet been invented), but rinsed
> them by pouring boiling hot water over them.

Then there's that story, which may or may not be true (but it's
funny either way) about a couple who kept having these friends
drop in unannounced, just in time for dinner. They were too polite
to send them on their way, so they'd feed the uninvited guests,
but they really didn't like doing it and felt put-upon. Finally,
they hit on an idea. Next time the people were over for dinner,
they took the dirty dishes and put them on the floor, where the
dogs licked them clean. Then they put the dishes in the cupboard,
as though this was what they always did, nonchalant, chatting away
as though nothing was unusual, etc. The unannounced guests never
came over again.

Someone will probably post the URL to the snopes site that declares
that story false. Oh, well. And most of you probably know it already,
but I posted it just in case there's someone who doesn't. :)

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

Adrian[_2_]
February 9th 08, 11:43 AM
I think this group would be very quiet if that was the case. :-)
--

Granby wrote:
> If eating something after there had been a food test by cats was
> lethal, I for one would have left this earth years ago.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
February 9th 08, 08:20 PM
wrote:

> "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote:
>
> > When I was little, we had a neighbor who made absolutely
> > FABULOUS plum butter. I remember once, when she gave my mom
> > a generous portion of same, Mom was very reluctant to serve
> > it, because the neighbor had put it into a dish Mom had seen
> > one of their dogs eating from. (For many years I visualized
> > the woman picking the dish up off the floor and loading the
> > plum butter into it!) My mom was a bit paranoid about
> > cleanliness - she not only washed her dishes in hot water
> > and soap ("detergent" hadn't yet been invented), but rinsed
> > them by pouring boiling hot water over them.
>
> Then there's that story, which may or may not be true (but it's
> funny either way) about a couple who kept having these friends
> drop in unannounced, just in time for dinner. They were too polite
> to send them on their way, so they'd feed the uninvited guests,
> but they really didn't like doing it and felt put-upon. Finally,
> they hit on an idea. Next time the people were over for dinner,
> they took the dirty dishes and put them on the floor, where the
> dogs licked them clean. Then they put the dishes in the cupboard,
> as though this was what they always did, nonchalant, chatting away
> as though nothing was unusual, etc. The unannounced guests never
> came over again.
>
> Someone will probably post the URL to the snopes site that declares
> that story false. Oh, well. And most of you probably know it already,
> but I posted it just in case there's someone who doesn't. :)

Whether THAT story is genuine or not, I can vouch for a
friend of my grandmother's, who invited Mom and Grandma to
luncheon one day. After lunch, my relatives offered to
"help with the dishes" (the custom, in Minnesota, when
eating a meal in someone's home). Her response was "no,
that's all right, I just let the dog do them". (And she
proceeded to set them on the floor and call the dog!) That
was before automatic dishwashers, although one HOPES she
exposed them to soap and hot water after the dog cleared up
the left-over food!

jofirey
February 9th 08, 10:29 PM
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote in message

> wrote:
>
>> "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote:
>>
>> > When I was little, we had a neighbor who made absolutely > FABULOUS
>> plum butter. I remember once, when she gave my mom > a generous portion
>> of same, Mom was very reluctant to serve > it, because the neighbor had
>> put it into a dish Mom had seen > one of their dogs eating from. (For
>> many years I visualized > the woman picking the dish up off the floor and
>> cleanliness - she not only washed her dishes in hot water > and soap
>> ("detergent" hadn't yet been invented), but rinsed > them by pouring
>> boiling hot water over them.
>>
>> Then there's that story, which may or may not be true (but it's
>> funny either way) about a couple who kept having these friends
>> drop in unannounced, just in time for dinner. They were too polite
>> to send them on their way, so they'd feed the uninvited guests,
>> but they really didn't like doing it and felt put-upon. Finally,
>> they hit on an idea. Next time the people were over for dinner,
>> they took the dirty dishes and put them on the floor, where the
>> dogs licked them clean. Then they put the dishes in the cupboard,
>> as though this was what they always did, nonchalant, chatting away
>> as though nothing was unusual, etc. The unannounced guests never
>> came over again.
>>
>> Someone will probably post the URL to the snopes site that declares
>> that story false. Oh, well. And most of you probably know it already,
>> but I posted it just in case there's someone who doesn't. :)
>
> Whether THAT story is genuine or not, I can vouch for a friend of my
> grandmother's, who invited Mom and Grandma to luncheon one day. After
> lunch, my relatives offered to "help with the dishes" (the custom, in
> Minnesota, when eating a meal in someone's home). Her response was "no,
> that's all right, I just let the dog do them". (And she proceeded to set
> them on the floor and call the dog!) That was before automatic
> dishwashers, although one HOPES she exposed them to soap and hot water
> after the dog cleared up the left-over food!

We don't think anything of letting the dog or cats lick a plate after we've
eaten. But the dishwasher is set to extra cycles and sanitize, as well as
the water heater being set far to high to rinse any I wash by hand.

Anyone remember the story from the Little House books, where they visit a
neighbor who makes wonderful fried apple pies? And Laura's mother's horror
when the neighbor was cooking, picked up a dried chunk of cow poop they used
for fuel and put it into the stove and then went right back to fixing the
pies?

Jo

Adrian[_2_]
February 11th 08, 01:29 PM
Cheryl P. wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>
>> I wash both my cats' and my rats' dishes with ours. It's not a big
>> deal to me. They're family!
>>

> So do I - and I usually use ordinary (ie for human use) bowls for Sam
> - although I do have 'official' cat bowls with pictures of cats on
> them as well. It's odd how many peculiar ideas people have about cats.
>
> I have a relative who is cat phobic (as well as a couple who are
> allergic, and it's not an excuse; I mean in one case the reaction can
> range right up to an asthma attack). Allergies are physical, but
> phobias aren't and I have asked why cats are so frightening. Of
> course, phobias by definition not rational, but I was told that one
> reason cats are scary is that they do unpredictable things like leap
> on you. I guess cat lovers don't find their behaviour so
> unpredictable, and like it even when it is. Well, that is, when the
> behaviour doesn't involve loud noises and various objects crashing to
> the floor, as the behaviour of a certain black cat does at regular
> intervals!
> Cheryl

Have you been watching Baggy? ;-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

jofirey
February 11th 08, 07:05 PM
"Cheryl P." > wrote in message
> wrote:
>> Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:
>>
>> > Mama was horrified when I mentioned that we wash the cats food dishes
>> > at the same time as the rest of the dirty dishes... you'd think that
>> > catfood remnants were nuclear waste and cat spit was deadly poison
>> > from the way she carried on! Doesn't she understand the concept of
>> "washing"? :)
>>
>> Joyce
>>

> I knew someone once who believed something about a bad thing that would
> happen to you if you ate from a dish that a cat had used - you'd turn into
> a cat or have bad luck or something. That was a new one to me - I mean, I
> know a black cat crossing your path is bad (or good, depending on where
> you live!) luck, and all those tales about them being stand-ins for the
> devil, or sucking baby's breath.

The one about a cat sucking a baby's breath has some basis. And they should
be kept away from sleeping infants.

It isn't like the cat is doing something bad, but they are fascinated by
babies, by all their nice soft blankets and such. They are also very taken
in by the smell from a baby's mouth. All those nice milk bubbles that they
blow. And the way they usually smell of milk. So it isn't unheard of for a
cat, given the chance to lie on a sleeping baby's chest paying rapt
attention to its mouth. Not a good thing with a very small baby or a very
large cat.

Jo

February 11th 08, 08:32 PM
Cheryl P. > wrote:

> I knew someone once who believed something about a bad thing that would
> happen to you if you ate from a dish that a cat had used - you'd turn
> into a cat or have bad luck or something.

Turning into a cat is bad luck? :)

Well, I guess it depends on where you end up, but I can think of worse
things to be than a cat.

Joyce
--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

February 11th 08, 08:49 PM
Cheryl P. > wrote:

> I have a relative who is cat phobic (as well as a couple who are
> allergic, and it's not an excuse; I mean in one case the reaction can
> range right up to an asthma attack). Allergies are physical, but phobias
> aren't and I have asked why cats are so frightening.

Phobias might also be physical. Many mental illnesses and irrational
emotions are physically based.

But even if not, I think it's a fallacy (and unfair to the sufferer)
to imply that a clearly physical problem such as an allergy is a "good
excuse" but a phobia is a bad one. Maybe that's not what you meant to
say, and it's true I'm sensitive about this because I've had a lot of
phobias and other emotional sensitivities. I've sometimes felt like
people are saying that people with "real" (ie, physical, tangible)
problems deserve respect, but I should just shape up and get over my
problems because they're not real. Again, I'm not saying that's
necessarily what you meant. I just wanted to say something about this.

It's hard to understand why someone would have a cat phobia, being
such an intense cat-lover myself. But a friend of mine said she thought
it wasn't that different from the fears many people have of bugs or
mice. It's that shuddery feeling of revulsion, that "ewww, don't let
it near me, don't let it get *on* me." I don't know where those feelings
come from, whether they're biological or learned. I do sometimes wonder
whether there's a genetic basis to people's revulsion toward large
swarms of bugs, but I don't actually know if that's a human thing or
just a cultural thing.

Anyway, some people feel that way about cats, and, as long as the
person doesn't use their phobia to excuse cruelty or anything like
that, I think their feelings should be respected.

I do think cats are unpredictable, and I am almost always delighted
by that.

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

Granby
February 11th 08, 09:30 PM
As Lee can tell you, for a good many years I did not want to be near cats.
My grandmother had three and they would sit on the couch or a high spot and
jump on me. Since I can't see too far past the end of my nose (and before
some smart A** says something, my nose isn't all that long) this would
frighten the bejesus out of me. I learned to hate cats. Finally Bast sent
one to out house that my son claimed. Well as my husband neared the end of
his life, the cat claimed Him and now I have the cat plus two.
> wrote in message
> Cheryl P. > wrote:
>
> > I have a relative who is cat phobic (as well as a couple who are
> > allergic, and it's not an excuse; I mean in one case the reaction can
> > range right up to an asthma attack). Allergies are physical, but phobias
> > aren't and I have asked why cats are so frightening.
>
> Phobias might also be physical. Many mental illnesses and irrational
> emotions are physically based.
>
> But even if not, I think it's a fallacy (and unfair to the sufferer)
> to imply that a clearly physical problem such as an allergy is a "good
> excuse" but a phobia is a bad one. Maybe that's not what you meant to
> say, and it's true I'm sensitive about this because I've had a lot of
> phobias and other emotional sensitivities. I've sometimes felt like
> people are saying that people with "real" (ie, physical, tangible)
> problems deserve respect, but I should just shape up and get over my
> problems because they're not real. Again, I'm not saying that's
> necessarily what you meant. I just wanted to say something about this.
>
> It's hard to understand why someone would have a cat phobia, being
> such an intense cat-lover myself. But a friend of mine said she thought
> it wasn't that different from the fears many people have of bugs or
> mice. It's that shuddery feeling of revulsion, that "ewww, don't let
> it near me, don't let it get *on* me." I don't know where those feelings
> come from, whether they're biological or learned. I do sometimes wonder
> whether there's a genetic basis to people's revulsion toward large
> swarms of bugs, but I don't actually know if that's a human thing or
> just a cultural thing.
>
> Anyway, some people feel that way about cats, and, as long as the
> person doesn't use their phobia to excuse cruelty or anything like
> that, I think their feelings should be respected.
>
> I do think cats are unpredictable, and I am almost always delighted
> by that.
>
> Joyce
>
> --
> To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

Cheryl P.[_2_]
February 12th 08, 01:54 AM
wrote:
<snip>
> Anyway, some people feel that way about cats, and, as long as the
> person doesn't use their phobia to excuse cruelty or anything like
> that, I think their feelings should be respected.

You misunderstood me. I used 'excuse' in relation to 'allergies' -
because some people, rather than saying 'I don't like X' will say 'I am
allergic to X', but that is not the case of a relative of mine who has
quite severe physical symptoms even if she doesn't see the cat or know
there's one in the house.

Phobias, while also real, are different enough from an allergy to make
it interesting (to me, at least) to ask about it. Someone suffering from
an allergy can't describe how the cat makes them sick (although their
doctor could) but someone with a phobia, and willing to discuss it, can
give me some idea of what aspect of the cat is frightening. I don't
really see why that's not respecting their feelings. It's not as though
I'd ever do something as cruel as trying to force them to pet a cat, or
making fun of them for not wanting to.

> I do think cats are unpredictable, and I am almost always delighted
> by that.

So am I.

Cheryl

February 12th 08, 02:40 AM
Cheryl P. > wrote:

> You misunderstood me. I used 'excuse' in relation to 'allergies' -
> because some people, rather than saying 'I don't like X' will say 'I am
> allergic to X', but that is not the case of a relative of mine who has
> quite severe physical symptoms even if she doesn't see the cat or know
> there's one in the house.

Your relative has severe symptoms even if she doesn't know there's
a cat nearby, and yet she is not allergic? That's amazing.

> Phobias, while also real, are different enough from an allergy to make
> it interesting (to me, at least) to ask about it. Someone suffering from
> an allergy can't describe how the cat makes them sick (although their
> doctor could) but someone with a phobia, and willing to discuss it, can
> give me some idea of what aspect of the cat is frightening. I don't
> really see why that's not respecting their feelings.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to criticize you. And I did say that
I am very sensitive to this issue, probably because although I've always
been in good physical health, I've had a lot of emotional problems,
including phobias, which I felt were as much out of my control as someone
else's physical illness, but other people seemed to think that I could
just snap out of mine. So I got blamed a lot, and I am, by my own admission
quite defensive about it. So I was just using your post as a jumping-off
place to air my own agenda. Nothing personal, really! :)

> It's not as though
> I'd ever do something as cruel as trying to force them to pet a cat, or
> making fun of them for not wanting to.

Luckily, I've never been forced to take on any of my phobias either,
but I sure have been made fun of, yelled at, judged, etc.

Joyce
--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

Marina
February 12th 08, 01:41 PM
Cheryl P. wrote:

> No, no, she *is* allergic which is why she gets symptoms even when
> visiting a new place if she doesn't know there's a cat there. Maybe I'm
> the only person who's encountered someone who does the reverse - rather
> than say "I really don't like cats (or something else)', they claim to
> be allergic to whatever it is - but they only claim to be developing
> symptoms when they can actually see whatever it is they dislike. Maybe I
> just know a few people who'd rather claim a physical problem they don't
> have than actually stand up for their personal preferences, and this
> kind of behaviour is fortunately rare.

i used to have a boyfriend who was allergic to cats and dogs. one day,
we were on the bus when a woman got on the bus with a dog. bf didn't
notice them. we went a few stops and i was waiting for a reaction.
nothing happened. then i said, 'did you notice that dog that just came
aboard.' he looked around, saw the dog, and immediately started to
sniffle and his eyes turned red and watery.

i'm not saying he lied about his allergies, but they must have been at
least partially psychosomatic. it's strange what the mind can do to you.

Sherry
February 12th 08, 03:50 PM
On Feb 12, 7:41*am, Marina > wrote:
> Cheryl P. wrote:
>
> > No, no, she *is* allergic which is why she gets symptoms even when
> > visiting a new place if she doesn't know there's a cat there. Maybe I'm
> > the only person who's encountered someone who does the reverse - rather
> > than say "I really don't like cats (or something else)', they claim to
> > be allergic to whatever it is - but they only claim to be developing
> > symptoms when they can actually see whatever it is they dislike. Maybe I
> > just know a few people who'd rather claim a physical problem they don't
> > have than actually stand up for their personal preferences, and this
> > kind of behaviour is fortunately rare.
>
> i used to have a boyfriend who was allergic to cats and dogs. one day,
> we were on the bus when a woman got on the bus with a dog. bf didn't
> notice them. we went a few stops and i was waiting for a reaction.
> nothing happened. then i said, 'did you notice that dog that just came
> aboard.' he looked around, saw the dog, and immediately started to
> sniffle and his eyes turned red and watery.
>
> i'm not saying he lied about his allergies, but they must have been at
> least partially psychosomatic. it's strange what the mind can do to you.
>
> --
> Marina, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

It's amazing what the brain can do. Doesn't your head always start
itching when people start talking about head lice, or fleas and such?
OTOH, some people really do have highly sensitive allergies. When I
quit
my job, my replacement could not sit in my chair without a wheezing
allergy attack. They finally figured out to take the upholstered desk
chair away and she was fine. Even though it looked clean, apparently
I had carried enough cat dander on my clothes she couldn't tolerate
it.
She didn't even know her predecessor HAD cats.

Sherry

Granby
February 12th 08, 04:03 PM
An Aunt that I hadn't seen in years came to visit, she had no way of knowing
I had cats.

After about 20 minutes she began to wheeze and finally said "I don't see cat
hair on your furniture so, the people before you must have had a cat." We
ended up having to go outside for the rest of the visit.

Yet, another lady came and was fine until she saw Piglet run around the
corner then suddenly she started to sneeze. She said "just put the cat in a
bedroom, it will be fine." NOT if it is a true allergy. Never asked her
back. I will put the cats up for storms, older who might trip as the cats
like to rub legs but, that is about it. Well if I have to have doors open
for some reason.

"Sherry" > wrote in message
On Feb 12, 7:41 am, Marina > wrote:
> Cheryl P. wrote:
>
> > No, no, she *is* allergic which is why she gets symptoms even when
> > visiting a new place if she doesn't know there's a cat there. Maybe I'm
> > the only person who's encountered someone who does the reverse - rather
> > than say "I really don't like cats (or something else)', they claim to
> > be allergic to whatever it is - but they only claim to be developing
> > symptoms when they can actually see whatever it is they dislike. Maybe I
> > just know a few people who'd rather claim a physical problem they don't
> > have than actually stand up for their personal preferences, and this
> > kind of behaviour is fortunately rare.
>
> i used to have a boyfriend who was allergic to cats and dogs. one day,
> we were on the bus when a woman got on the bus with a dog. bf didn't
> notice them. we went a few stops and i was waiting for a reaction.
> nothing happened. then i said, 'did you notice that dog that just came
> aboard.' he looked around, saw the dog, and immediately started to
> sniffle and his eyes turned red and watery.
>
> i'm not saying he lied about his allergies, but they must have been at
> least partially psychosomatic. it's strange what the mind can do to you.
>
> --
> Marina, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

It's amazing what the brain can do. Doesn't your head always start
itching when people start talking about head lice, or fleas and such?
OTOH, some people really do have highly sensitive allergies. When I
quit
my job, my replacement could not sit in my chair without a wheezing
allergy attack. They finally figured out to take the upholstered desk
chair away and she was fine. Even though it looked clean, apparently
I had carried enough cat dander on my clothes she couldn't tolerate
it.
She didn't even know her predecessor HAD cats.

Sherry

jofirey
February 12th 08, 05:02 PM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
On Feb 12, 7:41 am, Marina > wrote:
> Cheryl P. wrote:
>
> > No, no, she *is* allergic which is why she gets symptoms even when
> > visiting a new place if she doesn't know there's a cat there. Maybe I'm
> > the only person who's encountered someone who does the reverse - rather
> > than say "I really don't like cats (or something else)', they claim to
> > be allergic to whatever it is - but they only claim to be developing
> > symptoms when they can actually see whatever it is they dislike. Maybe I
> > just know a few people who'd rather claim a physical problem they don't
> > have than actually stand up for their personal preferences, and this
> > kind of behaviour is fortunately rare.
>
> i used to have a boyfriend who was allergic to cats and dogs. one day,
> we were on the bus when a woman got on the bus with a dog. bf didn't
> notice them. we went a few stops and i was waiting for a reaction.
> nothing happened. then i said, 'did you notice that dog that just came
> aboard.' he looked around, saw the dog, and immediately started to
> sniffle and his eyes turned red and watery.
>
> i'm not saying he lied about his allergies, but they must have been at
> least partially psychosomatic. it's strange what the mind can do to you.
>
> --
> Marina, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

It's amazing what the brain can do. Doesn't your head always start
itching when people start talking about head lice, or fleas and such?
OTOH, some people really do have highly sensitive allergies. When I
quit
my job, my replacement could not sit in my chair without a wheezing
allergy attack. They finally figured out to take the upholstered desk
chair away and she was fine. Even though it looked clean, apparently
I had carried enough cat dander on my clothes she couldn't tolerate
it.
She didn't even know her predecessor HAD cats.

Sherry

My younger daughter is mildly allergic to our cats. Her husband is severely
allergic. We always clean and put the cats out or in the bedroom if we are
expecting them.

When I go to their house to watch Emily (or just to visit) I take a shower
and dress in clean clothes so I won't take pet dander and fur into their
house. I even have a pair of slippers in my backpack that I only wear at
their house.

I just hope Emily can visit us comfortably when she's older and can come to
Grandma's house to stay for a few days.

Jo

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
February 12th 08, 09:18 PM
wrote:

> Cheryl P. > wrote:
>
> > I knew someone once who believed something about a bad thing that would
> > happen to you if you ate from a dish that a cat had used - you'd turn
> > into a cat or have bad luck or something.
>
> Turning into a cat is bad luck? :)
>
> Well, I guess it depends on where you end up, but I can think of worse
> things to be than a cat.

Certainly if I were one of mine! (A congenial feline
companion for play and havoc creating; comfortable furniture
for that eighteen to twenty hours a day healthy cats spend
sleeping; food more-or-less on demand..... sounds like the
ideal life, to me!)

> Joyce

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
February 12th 08, 09:23 PM
Granby wrote:

> An Aunt that I hadn't seen in years came to visit, she had no way of knowing
> I had cats.
>
> After about 20 minutes she began to wheeze and finally said "I don't see cat
> hair on your furniture so, the people before you must have had a cat." We
> ended up having to go outside for the rest of the visit.

Sounds like many a visit with my late sister-in-law! She
would try to tough it out, but after the first time she
started to wheeze, rather than say anything before the
reaction got that bad, our visits took place outdoors, in
their hotel room, or in a restaurant. She LIKED cats okay,
but her allergies got progressively worse, as she grew older.

> Yet, another lady came and was fine until she saw Piglet run around the
> corner then suddenly she started to sneeze. She said "just put the cat in a
> bedroom, it will be fine." NOT if it is a true allergy. Never asked her
> back. I will put the cats up for storms, older who might trip as the cats
> like to rub legs but, that is about it. Well if I have to have doors open
> for some reason.
>

> "Sherry" > wrote in message
> On Feb 12, 7:41 am, Marina > wrote:
>
>>Cheryl P. wrote:
>>

>>>No, no, she *is* allergic which is why she gets symptoms even when
>>>visiting a new place if she doesn't know there's a cat there. Maybe I'm
>>>the only person who's encountered someone who does the reverse - rather
>>>than say "I really don't like cats (or something else)', they claim to
>>>be allergic to whatever it is - but they only claim to be developing
>>>symptoms when they can actually see whatever it is they dislike. Maybe I
>>>just know a few people who'd rather claim a physical problem they don't
>>>have than actually stand up for their personal preferences, and this
>>>kind of behaviour is fortunately rare.
>>
>>i used to have a boyfriend who was allergic to cats and dogs. one day,
>>we were on the bus when a woman got on the bus with a dog. bf didn't
>>notice them. we went a few stops and i was waiting for a reaction.
>>nothing happened. then i said, 'did you notice that dog that just came
>>aboard.' he looked around, saw the dog, and immediately started to
>>sniffle and his eyes turned red and watery.
>>
>>i'm not saying he lied about his allergies, but they must have been at
>>least partially psychosomatic. it's strange what the mind can do to you.
>>
>>--
>>Marina, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
>

> It's amazing what the brain can do. Doesn't your head always start
> itching when people start talking about head lice, or fleas and such?
> OTOH, some people really do have highly sensitive allergies. When I
> quit
> my job, my replacement could not sit in my chair without a wheezing
> allergy attack. They finally figured out to take the upholstered desk
> chair away and she was fine. Even though it looked clean, apparently
> I had carried enough cat dander on my clothes she couldn't tolerate
> it.
> She didn't even know her predecessor HAD cats.
>
> Sherry

polonca12000
February 14th 08, 09:43 PM
>> "Enfilade" > wrote in message
>>> We went on vacation the last week and we were going to get my friend
>>> who lives across the street to cat sit, but she has been sick and
>>> couldn't do it. So Dylan asked one of his co workers who lives in the
>>> same building and she said she would.
<snip>

>>Kreisleriana wrote:
>> That's always a bit of a turn, isn't it? Last summer I had a computer
>> tech in, and he seemed absolutely terrified of the cats. <snip>
>>
>nik Simpson wrote:
> In my final year at college I took a room at house owned by two Siamese
> who would "vet" any prospective tenants that their human slaves might be
> considering. No problem for me, I passed with flying colours, when I
> moved in they went through my stuff like a pair of German customs
> inspectors. <snip>

Thanks for the laugh!
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek