PDA

View Full Version : Need cooking advice

jofirey
February 9th 08, 06:45 PM
Oldest grandson has asked if I'll cook tomorrow. Its been a while since
I've done Sunday dinner and I'd like to do something different for me.

Now I love roast beef, but I always make a pot roast, or once or twice a
year pay a fortune and have a rib roast. I do make tri-tips, but we always
slice that on sourdough rolls.

I don't even know what cuts of beef I can use to make a medium rare roast to
have for dinner, with any luck with a Yorkshire Pudding, and to slice for
sandwiches the next day. My cookbooks aren't even being a lot of help.

So what cuts can I roast successfully? Any tips?

Thanks in advance, from me of course but also from Michael (grandson) and
Kayla (food hound)

Jo

Lesley
February 9th 08, 06:58 PM
On Feb 9, 10:45*am, "jofirey" > wrote:

> I don't even know what cuts of beef I can use to make a medium rare roast to
> have for dinner, with any luck with a Yorkshire Pudding, and to slice for
> sandwiches the next day. *

Topside

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Granby
February 9th 08, 07:04 PM
There is always google to check on beef cuts and such
"jofirey" > wrote in message
> Oldest grandson has asked if I'll cook tomorrow. Its been a while since
> I've done Sunday dinner and I'd like to do something different for me.
>
> Now I love roast beef, but I always make a pot roast, or once or twice a
> year pay a fortune and have a rib roast. I do make tri-tips, but we
> always slice that on sourdough rolls.
>
> I don't even know what cuts of beef I can use to make a medium rare roast
> to have for dinner, with any luck with a Yorkshire Pudding, and to slice
> for sandwiches the next day. My cookbooks aren't even being a lot of
> help.
>
> So what cuts can I roast successfully? Any tips?
>
> Thanks in advance, from me of course but also from Michael (grandson) and
> Kayla (food hound)
>
> Jo

Christine K.
February 9th 08, 07:15 PM
jofirey kirjoitti:
> Oldest grandson has asked if I'll cook tomorrow. Its been a while since
> I've done Sunday dinner and I'd like to do something different for me.
>
> Now I love roast beef, but I always make a pot roast, or once or twice a
> year pay a fortune and have a rib roast. I do make tri-tips, but we always
> slice that on sourdough rolls.
>
> I don't even know what cuts of beef I can use to make a medium rare roast to
> have for dinner, with any luck with a Yorkshire Pudding, and to slice for
> sandwiches the next day. My cookbooks aren't even being a lot of help.
>
> So what cuts can I roast successfully? Any tips?
>
> Thanks in advance, from me of course but also from Michael (grandson) and
> Kayla (food hound)
>
> Jo

Guides on cuts:
http://gourmetsleuth.com/beefcuts.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef
http://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/aboutbeef/types.asp

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

Normin
February 9th 08, 08:52 PM
"jofirey" > wrote in message
> Oldest grandson has asked if I'll cook tomorrow. Its been a
> while since I've done Sunday dinner and I'd like to do
> something different for me.
>
> Now I love roast beef, but I always make a pot roast, or once
> or twice a year pay a fortune and have a rib roast. I do make
> tri-tips, but we always slice that on sourdough rolls.
>
> I don't even know what cuts of beef I can use to make a medium
> rare roast to have for dinner, with any luck with a Yorkshire
> Pudding, and to slice for sandwiches the next day. My
> cookbooks aren't even being a lot of help.
>
> So what cuts can I roast successfully? Any tips?
>
> Thanks in advance, from me of course but also from Michael
> (grandson) and Kayla (food hound)
>
> Jo

I like to buy an eye of round roast, which is a very lean cut,
but that can be a bit tough so I slice onions onto some foil,
season the meat, and wrap it tight to cook in it's own juices.
My family likes it :) try not to over cook it though, it gets a
bit dry if you do.

Sara

February 9th 08, 09:51 PM
jofirey > wrote:

> Oldest grandson has asked if I'll cook tomorrow. Its been a while since
> I've done Sunday dinner and I'd like to do something different for me.

> Now I love roast beef, but I always make a pot roast, or once or twice a
> year pay a fortune and have a rib roast. I do make tri-tips, but we always
> slice that on sourdough rolls.

> I don't even know what cuts of beef I can use to make a medium rare roast to
> have for dinner, with any luck with a Yorkshire Pudding, and to slice for
> sandwiches the next day. My cookbooks aren't even being a lot of help.

> So what cuts can I roast successfully? Any tips?

Want a 1/2 pound pork chop? :)

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

Victor Martinez
February 10th 08, 05:32 AM
jofirey wrote:
> So what cuts can I roast successfully? Any tips?

Standing rib roast is fabulous, but pricey. A chuck is good if you like
meat completely cooked.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam here:

Marina
February 10th 08, 05:51 AM
wrote:
> Want a 1/2 pound pork chop? :)

lol. have you still not cooked it. how long will it keep.

jofirey
February 10th 08, 07:56 AM
"Victor Martinez" > wrote in message
> jofirey wrote:
>> So what cuts can I roast successfully? Any tips?
>
> Standing rib roast is fabulous, but pricey. A chuck is good if you like
> meat completely cooked.

I always braise chuck if I cook it. Just too tough otherwise.

I've got a 3.5# Sirloin Tip and got my fingers crossed that it will be OK at
medium rare.

At least I know the chocolate pie in the freezer in fabulous.

Jo

February 10th 08, 08:31 AM
Marina > wrote:

> wrote:
> > Want a 1/2 pound pork chop? :)

> lol. have you still not cooked it. how long will it keep.

Since it looked like I wasn't going to cook it that soon, I stuck it
in the freezer. I figure it'll last a while in there, but I hope that
didn't wreck its flavor.

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.