PDA

View Full Version : Mutual help

Mark Edwards
February 16th 08, 09:34 PM
Gaah! Another leg cramp this morning. Also, another set of thunderstorms.

After I massaged out te cramp, and stretched back out, Little Feet and
Little Boy came zooming onto the bed.

In exchange for protection from the scary thunder booms, they draped
themselves across my poor abused leg.

Works for me...

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Granby
February 16th 08, 10:18 PM
A furry heating pad , sounds great to me.
"Mark Edwards" > wrote in message

> Gaah! Another leg cramp this morning. Also, another set of thunderstorms.
>
> After I massaged out te cramp, and stretched back out, Little Feet and
> Little Boy came zooming onto the bed.
>
> In exchange for protection from the scary thunder booms, they draped
> themselves across my poor abused leg.
>
> Works for me...
>

> Hugs and Purrs,
> Mark
> --
> Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Joy
February 16th 08, 11:03 PM
"Mark Edwards" > wrote in message

> Gaah! Another leg cramp this morning. Also, another set of thunderstorms.
>
> After I massaged out te cramp, and stretched back out, Little Feet and
> Little Boy came zooming onto the bed.
>
> In exchange for protection from the scary thunder booms, they draped
> themselves across my poor abused leg.
>
> Works for me...
>

> Hugs and Purrs,
> Mark

I'm glad it does.

This sounds weird, but a doctor who has a regular column in my newspaper
says he has received letters from hundreds of people who found that putting
an unwrapped bar of soap under the bottom sheet of the bed, near the leg
area, prevented leg cramps. If you have a lot of them, it might be worth
trying.

Joy

February 16th 08, 11:05 PM
Joy > wrote:

> This sounds weird, but a doctor who has a regular column in my newspaper
> says he has received letters from hundreds of people who found that putting
> an unwrapped bar of soap under the bottom sheet of the bed, near the leg
> area, prevented leg cramps. If you have a lot of them, it might be worth
> trying.

That certainly does sound weird. It reminds me of what a neighbor told
me once, when I had a case of tendonitis in my elbow several years ago.
She told me to put some chalk on the floor under the bed, and that this
would heal my tendonitis more quickly. Apparently (according to her) this
was a Feng Shui concept. I had my doubts...

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

Jack Campin - bogus address
February 16th 08, 11:37 PM
>> This sounds weird, but a doctor who has a regular column in my newspaper
>> says he has received letters from hundreds of people who found that putting
>> an unwrapped bar of soap under the bottom sheet of the bed, near the leg
>> area, prevented leg cramps. If you have a lot of them, it might be worth
>> trying.
> That certainly does sound weird. It reminds me of what a neighbor told
> me once, when I had a case of tendonitis in my elbow several years ago.
> She told me to put some chalk on the floor under the bed, and that this
> would heal my tendonitis more quickly. Apparently (according to her) this
> was a Feng Shui concept. I had my doubts...

We once had a pet rat with ascending spinal paralysis. An extremely
alternative therapist once came to the flat - his angle was basically
applied Crowleyan magick. He treated it by drawing sigils on a piece
of paper which he left in the rat's cage. The rat did seem to perk
up a bit for a few weeks. Maybe it was just a very nutritious piece
of paper, as he did what rats usually do with it.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === <http://www.campin.me.uk> ====

bobblespin[_2_]
February 17th 08, 01:22 AM
"Joy" > wrote in
:

> "Mark Edwards" > wrote in message
>>
>> Gaah! Another leg cramp this morning. Also, another set of
>> thunderstorms.
>>
>> After I massaged out te cramp, and stretched back out, Little Feet
>> and Little Boy came zooming onto the bed.
>>
>> In exchange for protection from the scary thunder booms, they draped
>> themselves across my poor abused leg.
>>
>> Works for me...
>>

>> Hugs and Purrs,
>> Mark
>
> I'm glad it does.
>
> This sounds weird, but a doctor who has a regular column in my
> newspaper says he has received letters from hundreds of people who
> found that putting an unwrapped bar of soap under the bottom sheet of
> the bed, near the leg area, prevented leg cramps. If you have a lot
> of them, it might be worth trying.
>
> Joy

Absolutely true. In fact a few weeks ago my mother complained about leg
cramps, so I told her to put a bar of soap under her sheet. She thought
I was nuts, but tried it and it works. Google soap + leg cramps and
you'll be amazed at how many hits you get. It also works on restless
leg syndrome.

Bobble

February 17th 08, 02:49 AM
bobblespin > wrote:

> "Joy" > wrote in

>> This sounds weird, but a doctor who has a regular column in my
>> newspaper says he has received letters from hundreds of people who
>> found that putting an unwrapped bar of soap under the bottom sheet of
>> the bed, near the leg area, prevented leg cramps. If you have a lot
>> of them, it might be worth trying.

> Absolutely true. In fact a few weeks ago my mother complained about leg
> cramps, so I told her to put a bar of soap under her sheet. She thought
> I was nuts, but tried it and it works. Google soap + leg cramps and
> you'll be amazed at how many hits you get. It also works on restless
> leg syndrome.

OK, so does anyone know *why* it works?

The restless leg thing is something I will almost certainly get as I age.
My mother has it and needs to be on medication for it. I get it sometimes
when I'm tired, but so far, it hasn't kept me awake. In fact, I usually
only get it when I'm not in bed. But I know that has to be it, because it
feels just like how people describe it ("like having worms inside your
legs" is the most colorful description I've heard). I figure it'll get
worse the older I get, but maybe I'll try the soap. Is any particular
brand preferable? :) (Sorry! I can't help but be a smartass about this,
even if it does work.)

Joyce
--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

bobblespin[_2_]
February 17th 08, 03:23 AM
wrote in
:

> bobblespin > wrote:
>
> > "Joy" > wrote in
>
> >> This sounds weird, but a doctor who has a regular column in my
> >> newspaper says he has received letters from hundreds of people who
> >> found that putting an unwrapped bar of soap under the bottom sheet
> >> of the bed, near the leg area, prevented leg cramps. If you have a
> >> lot of them, it might be worth trying.
>
> > Absolutely true. In fact a few weeks ago my mother complained about
> > leg cramps, so I told her to put a bar of soap under her sheet. She
> > thought I was nuts, but tried it and it works. Google soap + leg
> > cramps and you'll be amazed at how many hits you get. It also works
> > on restless leg syndrome.
>
> OK, so does anyone know *why* it works?
>
> The restless leg thing is something I will almost certainly get as I
> age. My mother has it and needs to be on medication for it. I get it
> sometimes when I'm tired, but so far, it hasn't kept me awake. In
> fact, I usually only get it when I'm not in bed. But I know that has
> to be it, because it feels just like how people describe it ("like
> having worms inside your legs" is the most colorful description I've
> heard). I figure it'll get worse the older I get, but maybe I'll try
> the soap. Is any particular brand preferable? :) (Sorry! I can't help
> but be a smartass about this, even if it does work.)
>
> Joyce

Nobody knows how or why it works, but the thousands of people it has
"cured" don't care. Here's one of the interesting sites:
http://www.reallans.com/mmml.shtml?/002240.shtml

Some say no Dial or Dove, yet others say it doesn't matter which brand,
they all work. One of my mom's friends with restless legs keeps a bar
of soap handy beside his tv chair. Sure is drug-free and inexpensive.

Bobble

February 17th 08, 03:46 AM
bobblespin > wrote:

> wrote in

>> OK, so does anyone know *why* it works?

> Nobody knows how or why it works, but the thousands of people it has
> "cured" don't care. Here's one of the interesting sites:
> http://www.reallans.com/mmml.shtml?/002240.shtml

> Some say no Dial or Dove, yet others say it doesn't matter which brand,
> they all work. One of my mom's friends with restless legs keeps a bar
> of soap handy beside his tv chair. Sure is drug-free and inexpensive.

Fascinating!

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
February 17th 08, 10:05 PM
wrote:

> bobblespin > wrote:
>
> > wrote in
>
> >> OK, so does anyone know *why* it works?
>
> > Nobody knows how or why it works, but the thousands of people it has
> > "cured" don't care. Here's one of the interesting sites:
> > http://www.reallans.com/mmml.shtml?/002240.shtml
>
> > Some say no Dial or Dove, yet others say it doesn't matter which brand,
> > they all work. One of my mom's friends with restless legs keeps a bar
> > of soap handy beside his tv chair. Sure is drug-free and inexpensive.

The only non-hygiene use I'd previously heard of for Dial
soap was to wrap a few bars in sone sort of net (old nylon
hosiery was suggested) and tie them to your garden fence at
intervals, to discourage deer from raiding your kitchen
garden. (I've no idea whether it works, I heard it from a
friend of mine who has a small farm in Northern Minnesota.)

> Fascinating!
>
> Joyce

Granby
February 17th 08, 10:18 PM
Take it from someone who lost four holly bushes, three rose bushes and 12
3ft high evergreens, it doesn't help even tying them on the bush itself.
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote in message

> wrote:
>
>> bobblespin > wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in

>> works, but the thousands of people it has > "cured" don't care. Here's
>> one of the interesting sites: >
>> http://www.reallans.com/mmml.shtml?/002240.shtml
>>
>> > Some say no Dial or Dove, yet others say it doesn't matter which
>> brand, > they all work. One of my mom's friends with restless legs keeps
>> a bar > of soap handy beside his tv chair. Sure is drug-free and
>> inexpensive.
>
> The only non-hygiene use I'd previously heard of for Dial soap was to wrap
> a few bars in sone sort of net (old nylon hosiery was suggested) and tie
> them to your garden fence at intervals, to discourage deer from raiding
> your kitchen garden. (I've no idea whether it works, I heard it from a
> friend of mine who has a small farm in Northern Minnesota.)
>

>> Fascinating!
>>
>> Joyce

mlbriggs
February 18th 08, 02:45 AM
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:03:37 -0800, Joy wrote:

> "Mark Edwards" > wrote in message
>>
>> Gaah! Another leg cramp this morning. Also, another set of
>> thunderstorms.
>>
>> After I massaged out te cramp, and stretched back out, Little Feet and
>> Little Boy came zooming onto the bed.
>>
>> In exchange for protection from the scary thunder booms, they draped
>> themselves across my poor abused leg.
>>
>> Works for me...
>>

>> Hugs and Purrs,
>> Mark
>
> I'm glad it does.
>
> This sounds weird, but a doctor who has a regular column in my newspaper
> says he has received letters from hundreds of people who found that
> putting an unwrapped bar of soap under the bottom sheet of the bed, near
> the leg area, prevented leg cramps. If you have a lot of them, it might
> be worth trying.
>
> Joy

I place unwrapped bars of soap in my dresser drawers. It keeps any musty
odor away. Sachet works too. I understand leg cramps are caused by lack
of calcium. MLB

Rhonda[_3_]
February 18th 08, 05:24 AM
mlbriggs wrote:

> I place unwrapped bars of soap in my dresser drawers. It keeps any musty
> odor away. Sachet works too. I understand leg cramps are caused by lack
> of calcium. MLB

Yep, I stopped eating yogart daily and got horrible leg cramps. Calcium
supplements work if you're not getting enough in your diet.

Rhonda

Adrian[_2_]
February 18th 08, 09:15 AM
mlbriggs wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:03:37 -0800, Joy wrote:
>
>> "Mark Edwards" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Gaah! Another leg cramp this morning. Also, another set of
>>> thunderstorms.
>>>
>>> After I massaged out te cramp, and stretched back out, Little Feet
>>> and Little Boy came zooming onto the bed.
>>>
>>> In exchange for protection from the scary thunder booms, they draped
>>> themselves across my poor abused leg.
>>>
>>> Works for me...
>>>

>>> Hugs and Purrs,
>>> Mark
>>
>> I'm glad it does.
>>
>> This sounds weird, but a doctor who has a regular column in my
>> newspaper says he has received letters from hundreds of people who
>> found that putting an unwrapped bar of soap under the bottom sheet
>> of the bed, near the leg area, prevented leg cramps. If you have a
>> lot of them, it might be worth trying.
>>
>> Joy
>
> I place unwrapped bars of soap in my dresser drawers. It keeps any
> musty odor away. Sachet works too. I understand leg cramps are
> caused by lack of calcium. MLB

If you hang a bar of soap on your front door it stops lions coming in. I
tried it and it works, not a single lion entered the house. ;-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Outsider
February 18th 08, 12:57 PM
wrote in
:

> OK, so does anyone know *why* it works?

..
..

> Joyce

It's called the placebo effect. It is what makes drug testing so
difficult. People will invariably find relief where they are told it
will be found if they trust the source. If you read almost any drug
literature you will see the test results are compared to the placebo not
compared to nothing. Drug tests are done double blind so even the person
handing you the "bar of soap" wont know if it is dial or ivory. The
placebo always effects some relief so any fair test compares itself
against that. I enjoyed the link where a supposed college graduate AND
professional scientist said the bar of soap worked for them. It seems
even the scientist never heard of the scientific method.

Anyway what I am really getting at here is that bars of soap wont cure
RLS or cramps. If you want to cure cramps and RLS you should purhcase my
cramp-away pads. They have been clinically tested to relieve cramps.
You merely place the $20 pad on the floor in the next room from where you
sleep and cramps will be gone. A new pad once a month assures symptoms
never return. Just contact:

Outsider Industries
Gold will stay Avenue
Paymeecash, Mo 00000

please send cash!

Granby
February 18th 08, 01:29 PM
Ya know, I don't give a rats behind if it is mental, if it works and does
not further harm the person, that is the point. For years people laughed at
me for taking garlic to help prevent colds and a few other things. Now,
suddenly it is being given by some doctors. My grandfather took an aspirin
a die for years. Said it made "sense" to him to help thin blood as you got
older, he lived to be 95. Maybe it wasn't the aspirin but he at least was
trying something.
"Outsider" > wrote in message
> wrote in
> :
>
>> OK, so does anyone know *why* it works?
>>
> .
> .
>
>> Joyce
>
> It's called the placebo effect. It is what makes drug testing so
> difficult. People will invariably find relief where they are told it
> will be found if they trust the source. If you read almost any drug
> literature you will see the test results are compared to the placebo not
> compared to nothing. Drug tests are done double blind so even the person
> handing you the "bar of soap" wont know if it is dial or ivory. The
> placebo always effects some relief so any fair test compares itself
> against that. I enjoyed the link where a supposed college graduate AND
> professional scientist said the bar of soap worked for them. It seems
> even the scientist never heard of the scientific method.
>
> Anyway what I am really getting at here is that bars of soap wont cure
> RLS or cramps. If you want to cure cramps and RLS you should purhcase my
> cramp-away pads. They have been clinically tested to relieve cramps.
> You merely place the $20 pad on the floor in the next room from where you
> sleep and cramps will be gone. A new pad once a month assures symptoms
> never return. Just contact:
>
> Outsider Industries
> Gold will stay Avenue
> Paymeecash, Mo 00000
>
> please send cash!

Marina
February 18th 08, 02:03 PM
Outsider wrote:

> Anyway what I am really getting at here is that bars of soap wont cure
> RLS or cramps. If you want to cure cramps and RLS you should purhcase my
> cramp-away pads. They have been clinically tested to relieve cramps.
> You merely place the $20 pad on the floor in the next room from where you
> sleep and cramps will be gone. A new pad once a month assures symptoms
> never return. Just contact:
>
> Outsider Industries
> Gold will stay Avenue
> Paymeecash, Mo 00000
>
> please send cash!

lol. good one, andy.

Outsider
February 18th 08, 05:19 PM
"Cheryl P." > wrote in :

> Outsider wrote:
>> wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> OK, so does anyone know *why* it works?
>>>
>> .
>> .
>>
>>> Joyce
>>
>> It's called the placebo effect. It is what makes drug testing so
>> difficult. People will invariably find relief where they are told it
>> will be found if they trust the source. If you read almost any drug
>> literature you will see the test results are compared to the placebo
>> not compared to nothing. Drug tests are done double blind so even
>> the person handing you the "bar of soap" wont know if it is dial or
>> ivory. The placebo always effects some relief so any fair test
>> compares itself against that. I enjoyed the link where a supposed
>> college graduate AND professional scientist said the bar of soap
>> worked for them. It seems even the scientist never heard of the
>> scientific method.
>>
>> Anyway what I am really getting at here is that bars of soap wont
>> cure RLS or cramps. If you want to cure cramps and RLS you should
>> purhcase my cramp-away pads. They have been clinically tested to
>> relieve cramps. You merely place the $20 pad on the floor in the
>> next room from where you sleep and cramps will be gone. A new pad
>> once a month assures symptoms never return. Just contact:
>>
>> Outsider Industries
>> Gold will stay Avenue
>> Paymeecash, Mo 00000
>>
>> please send cash!
>>

> Mine work better! They cost $40!
> Honestly, I overheard two men in a drugstore discussing the pros and
> cons of some alleged cure for arthritis - 'Oh, yes, it really works.
> Not the ones they sell here for $X, of course, but the ones they sell
> at <Other Store> for $3X, they really work!
>
> <sigh> And in a drugstore, too, where they could chat with a
> pharmacist or pick up one of the public health brochures on common
> ailments. OTOH, you can get a lot of, ummm, unproven cures in a
> drugstore, and most of them aren't behind the counter with the
> prescription drugs.
>
> Cheryl

Yep, cost more, must be better.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
February 19th 08, 02:20 AM
Granby wrote:

> Take it from someone who lost four holly bushes, three rose bushes and 12
> 3ft high evergreens, it doesn't help even tying them on the bush itself.

Okay, point taken, although the gardens mentioned were those
growing veggies for human consumption. Are you sure it was
deer? I would have thought they would avoid both the thorns
on rose bushes and the sharp spiny leaves on holly!

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
February 19th 08, 02:29 AM
Granby wrote:

> Ya know, I don't give a rats behind if it is mental, if it works and does
> not further harm the person, that is the point. For years people laughed at
> me for taking garlic to help prevent colds and a few other things. Now,
> suddenly it is being given by some doctors. My grandfather took an aspirin
> a die for years. Said it made "sense" to him to help thin blood as you got
> older, he lived to be 95. Maybe it wasn't the aspirin but he at least was
> trying something.

I'm with you - "anecdotal" evidence or not, "placebo effect"
or not, if it works for you, and isn't in some way harmful,
why let people talk you out of it? The longer one lives,
the more of the once scorned "old wives' remedies" one sees
come back into favor (often with supporting scientific
evidence)!

Granby
February 19th 08, 03:33 AM
It was deer. I almost killed my husband for taking pictures before he
chased them off. Granted he was in a wheel chair but, he could have saved
some, for that round if he had just used the bull horn. Oh yeah, they like
veggies but we have a gazillion rabbits that eat them, the deer don't get
much of that.
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote in message

> Granby wrote:
>
>> Take it from someone who lost four holly bushes, three rose bushes and 12
>> 3ft high evergreens, it doesn't help even tying them on the bush itself.
>
> Okay, point taken, although the gardens mentioned were those growing
> veggies for human consumption. Are you sure it was deer? I would have
> thought they would avoid both the thorns on rose bushes and the sharp
> spiny leaves on holly!

Granby
February 19th 08, 03:36 AM
I make an arthritis rub in stuff out of bees wax, habanera peppers, and
olive oil. Worked so good for me, my doctor wanted some and even though I
have moved away, he still calls when he needs some! "Go figure.
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote in message

> Granby wrote:
>
>> Ya know, I don't give a rats behind if it is mental, if it works and does
>> not further harm the person, that is the point. For years people laughed
>> at me for taking garlic to help prevent colds and a few other things.
>> Now, suddenly it is being given by some doctors. My grandfather took an
>> aspirin a die for years. Said it made "sense" to him to help thin blood
>> as you got older, he lived to be 95. Maybe it wasn't the aspirin but he
>> at least was trying something.
>
> I'm with you - "anecdotal" evidence or not, "placebo effect" or not, if it
> works for you, and isn't in some way harmful, why let people talk you out
> of it? The longer one lives, the more of the once scorned "old wives'
> remedies" one sees come back into favor (often with supporting scientific
> evidence)!

Outsider
February 19th 08, 11:03 PM
"Granby" > wrote in
:

> It was deer. I almost killed my husband for taking pictures before he
> chased them off. Granted he was in a wheel chair but, he could have
> saved some, for that round if he had just used the bull horn.

They may be cute but they are also a big pain in the neck.