PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Annoyance (OT) HELP?

jmcquown[_2_]
February 19th 08, 11:36 AM
Anyone else here running Windows Vista? There's something that is annoying
the crap out of me and I haven't found a way to "fix" it. When I click to
open a link in a post (or email) I get an error: "Windows cannot find
[whatever the URL is]. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try
again."

BUT IT DOES find the URL and opens it! Anyone know how I can get it to stop
telling me there's a problem when there isn't a problem????

Jill

Nadia N.
February 19th 08, 01:13 PM
Are you are using Firefox as your default browser? If so, here's some
information which might help:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_error_opening_Internet_shortcut_or_local_H TML_file_-_Firefox

The Vista information is at the bottom of the page (look for the heading
"Registry Edit"). Hope this helps.

Nadia (and Kotyo)

P.S. I had the same problem in XP, but at least in XP you don't have to
edit the registry to fix it. So nice of Microsoft to remove the "File
Types" tab from the Folder Options dialog in Vista. One more reason I'm
not upgrading to Vista unless I absolutely have to. </end Vista rant>

--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Blog: http://littlemonstermusings.blogspot.com/

--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Blog: http://littlemonstermusings.blogspot.com/

jmcquown[_2_]
February 19th 08, 01:34 PM
"Nadia N." > wrote in message
> Are you are using Firefox as your default browser? If so, here's some
> information which might help:
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_error_opening_Internet_shortcut_or_local_H TML_file_-_Firefox
>
> The Vista information is at the bottom of the page (look for the heading
> "Registry Edit"). Hope this helps.
>
> Nadia (and Kotyo)

THANK YOU! That fixed the problem nicely :) Fortunately I'm comfortable
editing the registry (and BTW, if you ever have to do it, rename rather than
simply delete the entry and it's subfolders, it's much safer that way).

Jill

> jmcquown wrote:
>> Anyone else here running Windows Vista? There's something that is
>> annoying the crap out of me and I haven't found a way to "fix" it. When
>> I click to open a link in a post (or email) I get an error: "Windows
>> cannot find [whatever the URL is]. Make sure you typed the name
>> correctly, and then try again."
>>
>> BUT IT DOES find the URL and opens it! Anyone know how I can get it to
>> stop telling me there's a problem when there isn't a problem????
>>
>> Jill
>

> --
> Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
> Blog: http://littlemonstermusings.blogspot.com/

jmcquown[_2_]
February 19th 08, 04:50 PM
"kilikini" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Anyone else here running Windows Vista? There's something that is
>> annoying the crap out of me and I haven't found a way to "fix" it. When I
>> click to open a link in a post (or email) I get an error: "Windows cannot
>> find [whatever the URL is]. Make sure you typed the
>> name correctly, and then try again."
>>
>> BUT IT DOES find the URL and opens it! Anyone know how I can get it
>> to stop telling me there's a problem when there isn't a problem????
>>
>> Jill
>
> I get a similar problem and I use OE. It always defaults to
> res/blahblahblah.c:/kili type stuff. I just figured it's because I
> re-installed OE instead of using Windows Live Mail. I'll have to research
> it. Thanks for bringing it up, Jill.
>
> kili
See Nadia's reply to my post (below):

"Are you are using Firefox as your default browser? If so, here's some
information which might help:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_error_opening_Internet_shortcut_or_local_H TML_file_-_Firefox

The Vista information is at the bottom of the page (look for the heading
"Registry Edit"). Hope this helps.

Nadia (and Kotyo)"

It fixed my problem. I wasn't getting misdirected; Vista just told me it
couldn't find the URL but it did find it and opened it. But the error was
annoying me. I never encountered the problem on the PC running XP at home
(I've used Mozilla Firefox as my default browser for a few years now).

Jill

Nadia N.
February 19th 08, 08:57 PM
jmcquown wrote:

> "Nadia N." > wrote in message
>> Are you are using Firefox as your default browser? If so, here's some
>> information which might help:
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_error_opening_Internet_shortcut_or_local_H TML_file_-_Firefox
>>

>> The Vista information is at the bottom of the page (look for the
>> heading "Registry Edit"). Hope this helps.
>>
>> Nadia (and Kotyo)
>>

> THANK YOU! That fixed the problem nicely :) Fortunately I'm
> comfortable editing the registry (and BTW, if you ever have to do it,
> rename rather than simply delete the entry and it's subfolders, it's
> much safer that way).
>
> Jill

You're welcome :-)

I hope your dad is better, and that you're not missing Persia too much.
Being mostly a lurker, I don't post very often but I read the group
every day, and my Kotyo purrs for everyone who needs it. He's been
purring for you and your family.

Nadia (and Kotyo)

--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Blog: http://littlemonstermusings.blogspot.com/

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
February 19th 08, 09:54 PM
jmcquown wrote:

> Anyone else here running Windows Vista? There's something that is
> annoying the crap out of me and I haven't found a way to "fix" it. When
> I click to open a link in a post (or email) I get an error: "Windows
> cannot find [whatever the URL is]. Make sure you typed the name
> correctly, and then try again."
>
> BUT IT DOES find the URL and opens it! Anyone know how I can get it to
> stop telling me there's a problem when there isn't a problem????

When you find out, let ME know! I keep getting all sorts of
error messages that make no sense, and are not consistent!
Last time I had a technician in, I used "Geek Squad" because
the guy I used to use is in California and I no longer am. I
ended up $129 poorer, and so far as I can tell, he did
nothing to solve the problems I was having! (If anything,
they're worse.)

> Jill

Daniel Mahoney
February 21st 08, 02:28 PM
> BUT IT DOES find the URL and opens it! Anyone know how I can get it to stop
> telling me there's a problem when there isn't a problem????
>
> Jill

I'm afraid this suggestion won't be much help to folks who are really
dedicated to Windows, but my favorite way to deal with Windows problems is
to download a CD image (ISO file) from debian.org, burn it to CD, boot off
the CD, and install Debian Linux. No more Windows problems!

:)

Sam
February 22nd 08, 03:39 AM
Daniel Mahoney wrote:
>> BUT IT DOES find the URL and opens it! Anyone know how I can get it to stop
>> telling me there's a problem when there isn't a problem????
>>
>> Jill
>
> I'm afraid this suggestion won't be much help to folks who are really
> dedicated to Windows, but my favorite way to deal with Windows problems is
> to download a CD image (ISO file) from debian.org, burn it to CD, boot off
> the CD, and install Debian Linux. No more Windows problems!
>
> :)

OK, Dan. Why Debian? Is there something special about it vs. other
distros? Don't do Linux yet and am looking for a reasonably easy distro
to use on one of the spare 'puters.
Since it's OT, you can email me here if you prefer (addy isn't munged).

Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe

Daniel Mahoney
February 22nd 08, 01:03 PM
> OK, Dan. Why Debian? Is there something special about it vs. other
> distros? Don't do Linux yet and am looking for a reasonably easy distro
> to use on one of the spare 'puters.
> Since it's OT, you can email me here if you prefer (addy isn't munged).
>
> Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe

Any Linux distro would work well for her, but I find that Debian's
apt-get mechanism works quite nicely for installing new packages and
doesn't have nearly as much of a tendency to get lost in a
dependency-hell as RedHat or Fedora have. Ubuntu is also a quite nice
distro, but I find that their manipulation of the apt packages tends to
introduce more of a dependency problem that the Debian distro it's based
upon.

I work for an ISP with a user base approaching 100,000. Of our 60-some
servers, all but four run Debian.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
February 23rd 08, 05:54 AM
Daniel Mahoney wrote:
>> BUT IT DOES find the URL and opens it! Anyone know how I can get it to stop
>> telling me there's a problem when there isn't a problem????
>>
>> Jill
>
> I'm afraid this suggestion won't be much help to folks who are really
> dedicated to Windows, but my favorite way to deal with Windows problems is
> to download a CD image (ISO file) from debian.org, burn it to CD, boot off
> the CD, and install Debian Linux. No more Windows problems!
>
> :)

You realize you're speaking Greek (or is that "geek"?) to us non
computer types, Dan! I have no loyalty to Microsoft in ANY of its
guises, but when it seems to be the universal PC operating system, and
nearly any PC you buy nowadays comes with Windows already loaded, what
can most of us do?

Daniel Mahoney
February 23rd 08, 01:49 PM
> You realize you're speaking Greek (or is that "geek"?) to us non
> computer types, Dan! I have no loyalty to Microsoft in ANY of its
> guises, but when it seems to be the universal PC operating system, and
> nearly any PC you buy nowadays comes with Windows already loaded, what
> can most of us do?

Unfortunately installing Linux is still just a little bit more involved
than most people want to tackle. Perhaps one day the major stores will
offer PCs with Linux without having to special-order it.

William Hamblen
February 23rd 08, 03:02 PM
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:39:10 -0800, sam > wrote:

>OK, Dan. Why Debian? Is there something special about it vs. other
>distros? Don't do Linux yet and am looking for a reasonably easy distro
>to use on one of the spare 'puters.

I suppose Ubuntu is the easy Linux distribution du jour. Inspire also
is supposed to be easy for people used to windows.

I've got Slackware on the other partition on this computer. Slackware
has the distinction of being the longest running Linux distribution
still in production. Slackware is for people who are used to Unix. :)

Bud

Daniel Mahoney
February 23rd 08, 05:28 PM
> I suppose Ubuntu is the easy Linux distribution du jour. Inspire also
> is supposed to be easy for people used to windows.
>
> I've got Slackware on the other partition on this computer. Slackware
> has the distinction of being the longest running Linux distribution
> still in production. Slackware is for people who are used to Unix. :)
>
> Bud

Yeah, Ubuntu is playing hard on their reputation for being easy to
install. Having the different flavors (edubuntu for educational uses,
etc) probably helps them quite a bit as well.

Of the few really early distros I remember (as in pre-1.0 kernel),
Slackware is the only one still around. Their install isn't too bad
today, compared to when doing a full Slackware install involved creating
then loading some ridiculous number of 3.5" diskettes. Something 50, or
70?

Today's "for extreme Unix geeks only" distro seems to be Gentoo. That is
one non-user-friendly install process.