PDA

View Full Version : Emily the Prom Queen at the vet's

Bobcat
February 19th 08, 04:41 PM
I've posted news of our grey kitty Emily's annual visit to the vets in
this newsgroup before. She's an extrovert. She loves attention. If she
were human she'd be chosen prom queen. At the vet's she always makes a
dramatic entrance from the carry-cage onto the examining table. She
looks around to see who her audience is this year, then begins to purr
when she sees that the spotlight is on her. This contented rumble
gives Dr. Beck her only problem with Emily - she can't hear her
heartbeat through the stethoscope.
Last year Dr. Beck stopped the purr by suddenly clamping her hand over
Emily's face, startling her just long enough to get a reading.

This year, Dr. Beck tried a different tactic. She had the stethoscope
ready before I opened the carry-cage door. As soon as Emily emerged,
Dr. Beck clamped it onto her chest while Emily was still looking
around and orienting herself. Success! Her heart was strong.

Emily endured the rectal thermometer and the needles with her usual
aplomb. Then, the exam completed, she stepped back into her carry-cage
for a graceful exit, with no curtain calls. And she enjoyed another
victory. She's overweight, and has managed to lose a pound since last
year!

Bettina
February 19th 08, 04:47 PM
On 19 Feb., 17:41, Bobcat > wrote:
> I've posted news of our grey kitty Emily's annual visit to the vets in
> this newsgroup before. She's an extrovert. She loves attention. If she
> were human she'd be chosen prom queen. At the vet's she always makes a
> dramatic entrance from the carry-cage onto the examining table. She
> looks around to see who her audience is this year, then begins to purr
> when she sees that the spotlight is on her. This contented rumble
> gives Dr. Beck her only problem with Emily - she can't hear her
> heartbeat through the stethoscope.
> Last year Dr. Beck stopped the purr by suddenly clamping her hand over
> Emily's face, startling her just long enough to get a reading.
>
> This year, Dr. Beck tried a different tactic. She had the stethoscope
> ready before I opened the carry-cage door. As soon as Emily emerged,
> Dr. Beck clamped it onto her chest while Emily was still looking
> around and orienting herself. Success! Her heart was strong.
>
> Emily endured the rectal thermometer and the needles with her usual
> aplomb. Then, the exam completed, she stepped back into her carry-cage
> for a graceful exit, with no curtain calls. And she enjoyed another
> victory. She's overweight, and has managed to lose a pound since last
> year!

How happy you are!<g>
I`d shurely wish my cats would be that calm at TED.

Bettina

Will in New Haven
February 19th 08, 05:13 PM
On Feb 19, 11:41*am, Bobcat > wrote:
> I've posted news of our grey kitty Emily's annual visit to the vets in
> this newsgroup before. She's an extrovert. She loves attention. If she
> were human she'd be chosen prom queen. At the vet's she always makes a
> dramatic entrance from the carry-cage onto the examining table. She
> looks around to see who her audience is this year, then begins to purr
> when she sees that the spotlight is on her. This contented rumble
> gives Dr. Beck her only problem with Emily - she can't hear her
> heartbeat through the stethoscope.
> Last year Dr. Beck stopped the purr by suddenly clamping her hand over
> Emily's face, startling her just long enough to get a reading.
>
> This year, Dr. Beck tried a different tactic. She had the stethoscope
> ready before I opened the carry-cage door. As soon as Emily emerged,
> Dr. Beck clamped it onto her chest while Emily was still looking
> around and orienting herself. Success! Her heart was strong.
>
> Emily endured the rectal thermometer and the needles with her usual
> aplomb. Then, the exam completed, she stepped back into her carry-cage
> for a graceful exit, with no curtain calls. And she enjoyed another
> victory. She's overweight, and has managed to lose a pound since last
> year!

Sunrise POSES. Our other cats have varying degrees of nervousness at
the vets but Sunrise just gets up on that table and puts on her show.
She's quite likely to strike a pose at home, too. But she really likes
to visit people who don't see her all the time. She owes it to her
fans, you know.

Will in New Haven

--

Irulan
February 19th 08, 05:47 PM

Lily & her mama

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

"Bobcat" > wrote in message
> I've posted news of our grey kitty Emily's annual visit to the vets in
> this newsgroup before. She's an extrovert. She loves attention. If she
> were human she'd be chosen prom queen. At the vet's she always makes a
> dramatic entrance from the carry-cage onto the examining table. She
> looks around to see who her audience is this year, then begins to purr
> when she sees that the spotlight is on her. This contented rumble
> gives Dr. Beck her only problem with Emily - she can't hear her
> heartbeat through the stethoscope.
> Last year Dr. Beck stopped the purr by suddenly clamping her hand over
> Emily's face, startling her just long enough to get a reading.
>
> This year, Dr. Beck tried a different tactic. She had the stethoscope
> ready before I opened the carry-cage door. As soon as Emily emerged,
> Dr. Beck clamped it onto her chest while Emily was still looking
> around and orienting herself. Success! Her heart was strong.
>
> Emily endured the rectal thermometer and the needles with her usual
> aplomb. Then, the exam completed, she stepped back into her carry-cage
> for a graceful exit, with no curtain calls. And she enjoyed another
> victory. She's overweight, and has managed to lose a pound since last
> year!

bobblespin[_2_]
February 19th 08, 06:09 PM
Bobcat > wrote in news:7f175e51-cb57-4d3c-a4f6-
:

> I've posted news of our grey kitty Emily's annual visit to the vets in
> this newsgroup before. She's an extrovert. She loves attention. If she
> were human she'd be chosen prom queen. At the vet's she always makes a
> dramatic entrance from the carry-cage onto the examining table. She
> looks around to see who her audience is this year, then begins to purr
> when she sees that the spotlight is on her. This contented rumble
> gives Dr. Beck her only problem with Emily - she can't hear her
> heartbeat through the stethoscope.
> Last year Dr. Beck stopped the purr by suddenly clamping her hand over
> Emily's face, startling her just long enough to get a reading.
>
> This year, Dr. Beck tried a different tactic. She had the stethoscope
> ready before I opened the carry-cage door. As soon as Emily emerged,
> Dr. Beck clamped it onto her chest while Emily was still looking
> around and orienting herself. Success! Her heart was strong.
>
> Emily endured the rectal thermometer and the needles with her usual
> aplomb. Then, the exam completed, she stepped back into her carry-cage
> for a graceful exit, with no curtain calls. And she enjoyed another
> victory. She's overweight, and has managed to lose a pound since last
> year!

Our former cat Tuffy (a grey tabby tough guy) used to be like that at
the vets. We had 2 other cats then, and while the others were getting
their checkups, he'd sit on the chair and watch everything. We always
did him last, because he just lapped up all the fussing from the
technicians while he waited. He loved whatever the vet did to him
because it meant he was getting attention (not that he lacked any from
us). Deek too used to purr (probably from fright) and the vet couldn't
hear his heart.

Bobble

Kreisleriana[_3_]
February 19th 08, 06:28 PM
"Bobcat" > wrote in message
> I've posted news of our grey kitty Emily's annual visit to the vets in
> this newsgroup before. She's an extrovert. She loves attention. If she
> were human she'd be chosen prom queen. At the vet's she always makes a
> dramatic entrance from the carry-cage onto the examining table. She
> looks around to see who her audience is this year, then begins to purr
> when she sees that the spotlight is on her. This contented rumble
> gives Dr. Beck her only problem with Emily - she can't hear her
> heartbeat through the stethoscope.
> Last year Dr. Beck stopped the purr by suddenly clamping her hand over
> Emily's face, startling her just long enough to get a reading.
>
> This year, Dr. Beck tried a different tactic. She had the stethoscope
> ready before I opened the carry-cage door. As soon as Emily emerged,
> Dr. Beck clamped it onto her chest while Emily was still looking
> around and orienting herself. Success! Her heart was strong.
>
> Emily endured the rectal thermometer and the needles with her usual
> aplomb. Then, the exam completed, she stepped back into her carry-cage
> for a graceful exit, with no curtain calls. And she enjoyed another
> victory. She's overweight, and has managed to lose a pound since last
> year!

Sigh. I wish my guys would take a leaf from Emily's book. They are so
miserable when they go to the vet, it rips me up. Somehow it's all the
worse when they are both such good-natured boys, and bothered by so few
things.

jofirey
February 19th 08, 06:51 PM
"Bobcat" > wrote in message
> I've posted news of our grey kitty Emily's annual visit to the vets in
> this newsgroup before. She's an extrovert. She loves attention. If she
> were human she'd be chosen prom queen. At the vet's she always makes a
> dramatic entrance from the carry-cage onto the examining table. She
> looks around to see who her audience is this year, then begins to purr
> when she sees that the spotlight is on her. This contented rumble
> gives Dr. Beck her only problem with Emily - she can't hear her
> heartbeat through the stethoscope.
> Last year Dr. Beck stopped the purr by suddenly clamping her hand over
> Emily's face, startling her just long enough to get a reading.
>
> This year, Dr. Beck tried a different tactic. She had the stethoscope
> ready before I opened the carry-cage door. As soon as Emily emerged,
> Dr. Beck clamped it onto her chest while Emily was still looking
> around and orienting herself. Success! Her heart was strong.
>
> Emily endured the rectal thermometer and the needles with her usual
> aplomb. Then, the exam completed, she stepped back into her carry-cage
> for a graceful exit, with no curtain calls. And she enjoyed another
> victory. She's overweight, and has managed to lose a pound since last
> year!

Jake does that. He has heart problems and the vet has a terrible time
listening to his heart because stress makes Jake purr like a locomotive.

Glad Emily is doing to well.

Jo

February 19th 08, 09:32 PM
Bobcat > wrote:

> I've posted news of our grey kitty Emily's annual visit to the vets in
> this newsgroup before. She's an extrovert. She loves attention. If she
> were human she'd be chosen prom queen. At the vet's she always makes a
> dramatic entrance from the carry-cage onto the examining table. She
> looks around to see who her audience is this year, then begins to purr
> when she sees that the spotlight is on her.

What a cutie! Self-involvement is so charming in a cat. :) Too bad it's
not so charming in humans, otherwise there would be a whole lot of very
charming people around.

> This year, Dr. Beck tried a different tactic. She had the stethoscope
> ready before I opened the carry-cage door. As soon as Emily emerged,
> Dr. Beck clamped it onto her chest while Emily was still looking
> around and orienting herself. Success! Her heart was strong.

Hooray! Glad to hear she's doing OK.

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

Sam
February 20th 08, 04:14 AM
Bobcat wrote:
> I've posted news of our grey kitty Emily's annual visit to the vets in
> this newsgroup before. She's an extrovert. She loves attention. If she
> were human she'd be chosen prom queen. At the vet's she always makes a
> dramatic entrance from the carry-cage onto the examining table. She
> looks around to see who her audience is this year, then begins to purr
> when she sees that the spotlight is on her. This contented rumble
> gives Dr. Beck her only problem with Emily - she can't hear her
> heartbeat through the stethoscope.
> Last year Dr. Beck stopped the purr by suddenly clamping her hand over
> Emily's face, startling her just long enough to get a reading.
>
> This year, Dr. Beck tried a different tactic. She had the stethoscope
> ready before I opened the carry-cage door. As soon as Emily emerged,
> Dr. Beck clamped it onto her chest while Emily was still looking
> around and orienting herself. Success! Her heart was strong.
>
> Emily endured the rectal thermometer and the needles with her usual
> aplomb. Then, the exam completed, she stepped back into her carry-cage
> for a graceful exit, with no curtain calls. And she enjoyed another
> victory. She's overweight, and has managed to lose a pound since last
> year!
Our Smokey (RB) used to *love* our vet. He purred from the time he came
into the reception area until it was time to go. He went on a leash and
pulled toward the door as soon as he knew where he was.

Once our vet tried every trick he knew to get Smokey to stop purring so
he could listen to his chest with no success. He finally gave up and
said that if he's purring that strongly, his heart must be OK.

We still miss our Black Beauty.

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe

Marina
February 20th 08, 05:26 AM
Bobcat wrote:

> Emily endured the rectal thermometer and the needles with her usual
> aplomb. Then, the exam completed, she stepped back into her carry-cage
> for a graceful exit, with no curtain calls. And she enjoyed another
> victory. She's overweight, and has managed to lose a pound since last
> year!

go emily. what a good girl.

Susan M[_3_]
February 20th 08, 01:52 PM
Bobcat wrote:
> I've posted news of our grey kitty Emily's annual visit to the vets in
> this newsgroup before. She's an extrovert. She loves attention. If she
> were human she'd be chosen prom queen. At the vet's she always makes a
> dramatic entrance from the carry-cage onto the examining table. She
> looks around to see who her audience is this year, then begins to purr
> when she sees that the spotlight is on her. This contented rumble
> gives Dr. Beck her only problem with Emily - she can't hear her
> heartbeat through the stethoscope.
> Last year Dr. Beck stopped the purr by suddenly clamping her hand over
> Emily's face, startling her just long enough to get a reading.

Love the visual with this - thanks!

Susan M
Otis and Chester

polonca12000
February 23rd 08, 09:05 PM
Bobcat wrote:
> I've posted news of our grey kitty Emily's annual visit to the vets in
> this newsgroup before. She's an extrovert. She loves attention. If she
> were human she'd be chosen prom queen. At the vet's she always makes a
> dramatic entrance from the carry-cage onto the examining table. She
> looks around to see who her audience is this year, then begins to purr
> when she sees that the spotlight is on her. This contented rumble
> gives Dr. Beck her only problem with Emily - she can't hear her
> heartbeat through the stethoscope.
> Last year Dr. Beck stopped the purr by suddenly clamping her hand over
> Emily's face, startling her just long enough to get a reading.
>
> This year, Dr. Beck tried a different tactic. She had the stethoscope
> ready before I opened the carry-cage door. As soon as Emily emerged,
> Dr. Beck clamped it onto her chest while Emily was still looking
> around and orienting herself. Success! Her heart was strong.
>
> Emily endured the rectal thermometer and the needles with her usual
> aplomb. Then, the exam completed, she stepped back into her carry-cage
> for a graceful exit, with no curtain calls. And she enjoyed another
> victory. She's overweight, and has managed to lose a pound since last
> year!

Great story! I'm glad Emily is doing so well.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek