PDA

View Full Version : Need a first aid solutlon

PasoShirleyB
June 26th 09, 05:31 PM
Hi, it's ShirleyB, mom of Rex, maMA and Loki. And foster mom to the
two ferals who didn't get adopted (Lil Girl n Lil Boy). This is from
the second litter that turned up on my porch, Mama being the mom of
the first and Loki her baby (now indoors) I haven't posted in a coon's
age (or, cat''s age).

The feral mom, Lil Girl, I think was in a fight yesterday. She comes
with Her Lil Boy every morning for food and milk and I didn't see this
wound yesterday, tho they didn't stay long. Long story really short,
over the winter and bad weather, she, being a smart cookie, has
decided the couch just inside the front door is a lot warmer than the
OUTSIDE. So she's gotten a little less feral. Not him, he's a macho
man.

But now with summer coming she doesn't even want to come in, she'll
just stand there and have me scratch her ears and tail for half an
hour. And she doesn't run when I come outside.

Enuf of that. My perdicament: With them being out all day and nite
now, I want to get some peroxide on that wound. Had it been during the
winter, could have done it while she was inside, cause I did put flea
stuff on her and she didn't even mind. She won't, I don't think, let
me do it outside. when she's out, she remembers she's sposed to be
wild and is a little leery. I thought about loading some peroxide into
my little squirt gun (long story involving possum) and trying to shoot
it onto her thru the screen, but I'd only get one shot, and might make
her really freak out.

If I try and get her into a cage, same thing might happen, but I don't
know. Should I leave it alone and let Lil Boy lick it (he was doing
that this mornign) and that might heal it?

Ive posted a couple of pix on webshots, here:

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/573251461ZoizuZ?vhost=entertainment

The first is of the wound, and the second is just her pretty self.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Shirl,

mom to imerial Rex, maMA and Loki and foster mom to Lil Girl and Lil
Boy

Pat[_4_]
June 26th 09, 05:38 PM
"PasoShirleyB" >

| Any suggestions appreciated.

Next time you pet her, have some salve on your finger and smooth it over the
wound. A good one is Horseman's Dream Aloe Vera Veterinary Cream. It doesn't
burn or sting. This is what I would use on that kind of wound. I've treated
many wounds with it, including some of my own. The animal can lick it off
and it won't hurt them either. It's available at most better farm supply and
feed stores, or online from Jeffers (the cheapest) and many others.

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&pf_id=11787

Mischief[_2_]
June 26th 09, 09:32 PM
On Jun 26, 9:31*am, PasoShirleyB > wrote:
> Hi, it's ShirleyB, mom of Rex, maMA and Loki. And foster mom to the
> two ferals who didn't get adopted (Lil Girl n Lil Boy). This is from
> the second litter that turned up on my porch, Mama being the mom of
> the first and Loki her baby (now indoors) I haven't posted in a coon's
> age (or, cat''s age).
>
> The feral mom, Lil Girl, I think was in a fight yesterday. She comes
> with Her Lil Boy every morning for food and milk and I didn't see this
> wound yesterday, tho they didn't stay long. Long story really short,
> over the winter and bad weather, she, being a smart cookie, has
> decided the couch just inside the front door is a lot warmer than the
> OUTSIDE. So she's gotten a little less feral. Not him, he's a macho
> man.
>
> But now with summer coming she doesn't even want to come in, she'll
> just stand there and have me scratch her ears and tail for half an
> hour. And she doesn't run when I come outside.
>
> Enuf of that. *My perdicament: With them being out all day and nite
> now, I want to get some peroxide on that wound. Had it been during the
> winter, *could have done it while she was inside, cause I did put flea
> stuff on her and she didn't even mind. She won't, I don't think, let
> me do it outside. when she's out, she remembers she's sposed to be
> wild and is a little leery. I thought about loading some peroxide into
> my little squirt gun (long story involving possum) and trying to shoot
> it onto her thru the screen, but I'd only get one shot, and might make
> her really freak out.
>
> If I try and get her into a cage, same thing might happen, but I don't
> know. Should I leave it alone and let Lil Boy lick it (he was doing
> that this mornign) and that might heal it?
>
> Ive posted a couple of pix on webshots, here:
>
> http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/573251461ZoizuZ?vhost=enterta....
>
> The first is of the wound, and the second is just her pretty self.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> Shirl,
>
> mom to imerial Rex, maMA and Loki and foster mom to Lil Girl and Lil
> Boy

Is it a scratch or a puncture? Depending on how deep it is, there's a
risk for it turning into an abscess.

I like Pat's idea of putting salve on it, but I'd tried to clean it
too. Peroxide or some type of dilute anti-biotic solution would be a
good idea, if you could get it on and then be able to wipe it and then
rinse it clean.. In terms of a salve, I'd recommend neosporin or we
call it Triple Antibiotic Ointment in the generic sense, available at
any drug store.

with all the bacteria in a cats mouth not to mention the abrasive
tongue, if you can discourage any kind of licking that would be best
so to try to let the wound heal on its own.

A trip to a vet is always good if that's an option,

hope this helps,

Kristi

PasoShirleyB
June 27th 09, 01:14 AM
On Jun 26, 1:32*pm, Mischief > wrote:
> On Jun 26, 9:31*am, PasoShirleyB > wrote:
>

> > Hi, it's ShirleyB, mom of Rex, maMA and Loki. And foster mom to the
> > two ferals who didn't get adopted (Lil Girl n Lil Boy). This is from
> > the second litter that turned up on my porch, Mama being the mom of
> > the first and Loki her baby (now indoors) I haven't posted in a coon's
> > age (or, cat''s age).
>
> > The feral mom, Lil Girl, I think was in a fight yesterday. She comes
> > with Her Lil Boy every morning for food and milk and I didn't see this
> > wound yesterday, tho they didn't stay long. Long story really short,
> > over the winter and bad weather, she, being a smart cookie, has
> > decided the couch just inside the front door is a lot warmer than the
> > OUTSIDE. So she's gotten a little less feral. Not him, he's a macho
> > man.
>
> > But now with summer coming she doesn't even want to come in, she'll
> > just stand there and have me scratch her ears and tail for half an
> > hour. And she doesn't run when I come outside.
>
> > Enuf of that. *My perdicament: With them being out all day and nite
> > now, I want to get some peroxide on that wound. Had it been during the
> > winter, *could have done it while she was inside, cause I did put flea
> > stuff on her and she didn't even mind. She won't, I don't think, let
> > me do it outside. when she's out, she remembers she's sposed to be
> > wild and is a little leery. I thought about loading some peroxide into
> > my little squirt gun (long story involving possum) and trying to shoot
> > it onto her thru the screen, but I'd only get one shot, and might make
> > her really freak out.
>
> > If I try and get her into a cage, same thing might happen, but I don't
> > know. Should I leave it alone and let Lil Boy lick it (he was doing
> > that this mornign) and that might heal it?
>
> > Ive posted a couple of pix on webshots, here:
>
> >http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/573251461ZoizuZ?vhost=enterta....
>
> > The first is of the wound, and the second is just her pretty self.
>
> > Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> > Shirl,
>
> > mom to imerial Rex, maMA and Loki and foster mom to Lil Girl and Lil
> > Boy
>
> Is it a scratch or a puncture? *Depending on how deep it is, there's a
> risk for it turning into an abscess.
>
> I like Pat's idea of putting salve on it, but I'd tried to clean it
> too. *Peroxide or some type of dilute anti-biotic solution would be a
> good idea, if you could get it on and then be able to wipe it and then
> rinse it clean.. In terms of a salve, I'd recommend neosporin or we
> call it Triple Antibiotic Ointment in the generic sense, available at
> any drug store.
>
> with all the bacteria in a cats mouth not to mention the abrasive
> tongue, if you can discourage any kind of licking that would be best
> so to try to let the wound heal on its own.
>
> A trip to a vet is always good if that's an option,
>
> hope this helps,
>
> Kristi

Thanks guys, the salve sounds good. I have on hand NeoSporin.Think
I'll try and lure Lil Girl inside for milk tonight or tomorrow a.m. I
think Lil Boy has been licking the sore, and that's why it looks like
there is hair gone.

If she's calm enuf I'll try peroxide first. It doesn't sting, so
maybe . . . It looks like a circle about the size of a large penny
with 3 to 4 little points in it. I think they're the punctures. They
don't look horribly deep but when cats 'groom' another cat's wound,
they tend to heal pretty fast. I'll try and get the salve on her and
keep an eye on her the next couple of days. I'll take her to TED if
absolutely necessary, but it will be hard to trap her again. She's
quite savvy for a little girl!

Thanks again, Shirl

PasoShirleyB
June 27th 09, 03:40 PM
On Jun 26, 5:14*pm, PasoShirleyB > wrote:
> [...]
>
> > A trip to a vet is always good if that's an option,
>
> > hope this helps,
>
> > Kristi
>
> Thanks guys, the salve sounds good. I have on hand NeoSporin.Think
> I'll try and lure Lil Girl inside for milk tonight or tomorrow a.m. I
> think Lil Boy has been licking the sore, and that's why it looks like
> there is hair gone.
>
> If she's calm enuf I'll try peroxide first. It doesn't sting, so
> maybe . . . *It looks like a circle about the size of a large penny
> with 3 to 4 little points in it. I think they're the punctures. They
> don't look horribly deep but when cats 'groom' another cat's wound,
> they tend to heal pretty fast. I'll try and get the salve on her and
> keep an eye on her the next couple of days. I'll take her to TED if
> absolutely necessary, but it will be hard to trap her again. She's

Me again re Lil Girl: Got her to come inside last night (bribed her
with milk). I think the wound isn't as bad as I'd thought, but there's
definitely some Lil Boy grooming going on. There is NO hair right
around the wound, and that means major licking!

I was able to put some more NeoSporin on it. It looks clean, not angry
red or anything and definitely not infected. She spent the night on
the couch by the door and awakened me at 4:30 this morning to please
come let her out. I think we're in good shape now, thanks all.

Shirl

Takayuki
June 27th 09, 08:23 PM
PasoShirleyB > wrote:
>Me again re Lil Girl: Got her to come inside last night (bribed her
>with milk). I think the wound isn't as bad as I'd thought, but there's
>definitely some Lil Boy grooming going on. There is NO hair right
>around the wound, and that means major licking!
>
>I was able to put some more NeoSporin on it. It looks clean, not angry
>red or anything and definitely not infected. She spent the night on
>the couch by the door and awakened me at 4:30 this morning to please
>come let her out. I think we're in good shape now, thanks all.

This is like the next generation of Mama, Loki and Bruver. :) I'm
glad her owchie is healing.

Kajikit[_2_]
June 29th 09, 09:20 PM
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 07:40:05 -0700 (PDT), PasoShirleyB
> wrote:

>Me again re Lil Girl: Got her to come inside last night (bribed her
>with milk). I think the wound isn't as bad as I'd thought, but there's
>definitely some Lil Boy grooming going on. There is NO hair right
>around the wound, and that means major licking!
>
>I was able to put some more NeoSporin on it. It looks clean, not angry
>red or anything and definitely not infected. She spent the night on
>the couch by the door and awakened me at 4:30 this morning to please
>come let her out. I think we're in good shape now, thanks all.
>
>Shirl

Sounds like she'll be fine! I'm glad you could get her to come inside
so you could check her out and keep an eye on her for a little bit.
That's the problem with caring for strays... they're stubborn little
critters when it comes to asserting their independance! And it's tough
to treat a cat that doesn't want to be touched! The stray kitty I'm
feeding now is a sweety but he doesn't want to be touched at all. If I
stand too close to the food dish when I put it down for him, he'll
back away from it and wait for me to go away again.