PDA

View Full Version : Cat Tracks

Yowie
July 1st 09, 04:38 AM
Kitchen counters are supposed to tbe a 'no go' zone for cats, but I've long
since given up trying to dissuade any feline from being there. Pickle and
Shadow are not really interested anyway, but Suki insists of strutting
between kitchen counter, the window sill and the back of the lounge.

In between the window sill and the lounge is Joel's computer desk, in
between the kitchen counter and the window sill is mine.

Joel's computer desk is full of various bits of rubble and junk, so it can
be tricky for a cat with very little balance to grace to through. When Joel
is using his PC, she tends to like sleeping on top of his tower - its warm
up there and she gets a cat's eye view of the world - indeed, may even get a
few scritches.

But my desk, which is far less cluttered, has plenty of space behind the
monitor & keyboard (the computer itself sits on the floor, because my table
is slighly too small to have it all on there, comfortably). I have even gone
so far as to replace the small cardboard box similar to the one Shmogg liked
to sleep in so that Suki can hang out with me on my computer desk if she
wants.

But she doesn't, does she?

Every time I use my computer, she appears from wherever she was and has to
do the 'circuit' between the kitchen counter, the window sill and the back
of the lounge. Often several times each way.

And every single *&^%^*%$&$!!!! time she has to walk across the damn
keyboard, often stopping to generously place her 'reading eye' directly on
the keyboard so that she can meow at top decibel (as only a deaf cat can) to
me to my face.

I've go so far as to replace my wonderful ergonomic keyboard with one of
those silicone roll up spill proof catfur proof ones, which has slowed down
the rate in which I used to go through keyboards (all suffer the same
death - suffocation by cat butt fur) but it is still quite impossible to
raid in World of Warcraft when there's a mind bogglingly dense cat between
me, and both the monitor and the keyboard.

She's also discovered ome amazing key combinations that change things in
Windows, ones that I never knew about. For example, Control-shift-A will
mark all messages in a newsgroup read, which while useful if thats what you
want to do, is greatly frustrating otherwise. Holding down the right-shift
for 8 second will turn on 'filter keys' whatever that is. And if you if you
press 'shift' five times in a row, you can have 'sticky keys', which comes
as a bit of a surprise when one is about to down the last boss in Naxx.
(Thats a big fight in World of Warcraft, for those of you who don't know,
that involves 25 people who have to work together to get the job done. It
doesn't go very well if one person suddenly stops doing what they ought to
be doing to because their PC has suddenly switched from WoW to the desktop
and needs to have 'sticky keys' undone before switching back)

Suki's favouite trick of all, though, is to just every so gently brush past
the 'power' button on the keyboard, so delicately (and delicately being so
out of character) that at first, I think I'm safe, so I don't do an
emergency 'save all'. I continue doing what I'm doing and suddenly the world
goes grey and the computer starts to shut down. Joel often feels great
concern by my wails of anguish, especially if I'm working on some great
spreadsheet for work and have forgotten to do an interim save in the last
few hours. And they wonder why I can't work from home!

I'm sure there's a way to disable the power key using Windows software, but
if there is, I've yet to find it. I thought I was ingenious by simply
placing a beer bottle cap over it - it was the perfect height and diameter
such that it just covered the button without sticking out and bothering the
other buttons whilst being a tight enough fit that it didn't fall off if I
moved the keyboard or was brushed by a passing cat fetlock. However, I very
quickly discover that Suki's most very favourite ever toy for batting around
is of course beer bottle caps, and putting said cap anywhere near my
keyboard attracted her and her roving paws even more.
I've given up.

Despite having two perfectly good computers in the house, with one even
going so far as to have a spill proof, cat fur proof silicone keyboard, Joel
& I pretty much now share his computer. Its really only a matter of time,
though, until Suki 'discovers' his keyboard too. I wonder if walking on
keyboards is to cats what reflexology is to humans?

Yowie
--
Lurking is no fun either.

Jofirey
July 1st 09, 05:48 AM
"Yowie" > wrote in message
> [...]
> perfect height and diameter such that it just covered the button
> without sticking out and bothering the other buttons whilst being
> a tight enough fit that it didn't fall off if I moved the keyboard
> or was brushed by a passing cat fetlock. However, I very quickly
> discover that Suki's most very favourite ever toy for batting
> around is of course beer bottle caps, and putting said cap
> anywhere near my keyboard attracted her and her roving paws even
> more.
> I've given up.
>
> Despite having two perfectly good computers in the house, with one
> even going so far as to have a spill proof, cat fur proof silicone
> keyboard, Joel & I pretty much now share his computer. Its really
> only a matter of time, though, until Suki 'discovers' his keyboard
> too. I wonder if walking on keyboards is to cats what reflexology

Not sure what does the trick for little cat feet, though mine do
seem to like it when I mess with their paws.

But I am quite sure that beer bottle caps are not involved in human
reflexology. To the point I try to ban bottled beer from the house.
Of course my favorite Dos Equis (Amber) only comes in a bottle but
I'm careful to keep the cap in my hand until I put it in the
trash..Men seem to believe that they are free agents and will find
the trash if that is were life wants them to go

After several years of research, I have determined that they tend to
wander about the house and yard.. Always sharp side up.

Am I am virtually barefoot

tanadashoes
July 1st 09, 07:44 AM
"Yowie" > wrote in message

> Suki's favouite trick of all, though, is to just every so gently brush
> past the 'power' button on the keyboard, so delicately (and delicately
> being so out of character) that at first, I think I'm safe, so I don't do
> an emergency 'save all'. I continue doing what I'm doing and suddenly the
> world goes grey and the computer starts to shut down. Joel often feels
> great concern by my wails of anguish, especially if I'm working on some
> great spreadsheet for work and have forgotten to do an interim save in the
> last few hours. And they wonder why I can't work from home!
>
> I'm sure there's a way to disable the power key using Windows software,
> but if there is, I've yet to find it. I thought I was ingenious by simply
> placing a beer bottle cap over it - it was the perfect height and diameter
> such that it just covered the button without sticking out and bothering
> the other buttons whilst being a tight enough fit that it didn't fall off
> if I moved the keyboard or was brushed by a passing cat fetlock. However,
> I very quickly discover that Suki's most very favourite ever toy for
> batting around is of course beer bottle caps, and putting said cap
> anywhere near my keyboard attracted her and her roving paws even more.
> I've given up.
>
> Despite having two perfectly good computers in the house, with one even
> going so far as to have a spill proof, cat fur proof silicone keyboard,
> Joel & I pretty much now share his computer. Its really only a matter of
> time, though, until Suki 'discovers' his keyboard too. I wonder if walking
> on keyboards is to cats what reflexology is to humans?

And you say that you don't have cats performing masterful b*st*rd cat tricks
any more? I think Suki is working hard to earn the title once held by the
Great Smoggleberry. I also think she is doing a pretty good job of it.

Pam S. giggling

July 1st 09, 09:40 AM
Yowie wrote:

> But my desk, which is far less cluttered, has plenty of space behind the
> monitor & keyboard (the computer itself sits on the floor, because my table
> is slighly too small to have it all on there, comfortably). I have even gone
> so far as to replace the small cardboard box similar to the one Shmogg liked
> to sleep in so that Suki can hang out with me on my computer desk if she
> wants.

> But she doesn't, does she?

> Every time I use my computer, she appears from wherever she was and has to
> do the 'circuit' between the kitchen counter, the window sill and the back
> of the lounge. Often several times each way.

> And every single *&^%^*%$&$!!!! time she has to walk across the damn
> keyboard, often stopping to generously place her 'reading eye' directly on
> the keyboard so that she can meow at top decibel (as only a deaf cat can) to
> me to my face.

[snip stories of kitty mayhem on the keyboard]

Yowie, this is what you need:

http://www.bitboost.com/pawsense/

--
Joyce ^..^

Kreisleriana[_2_]
July 1st 09, 06:21 PM

Nice to see you!

--
Theresa and Dante

Stinky Forever: http://pets.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Yowie
July 2nd 09, 05:41 AM
tanadashoes wrote:
> "Yowie" > wrote in message
>>
>> Suki's favouite trick of all, though, is to just every so gently
>> brush past the 'power' button on the keyboard, so delicately (and
>> delicately being so out of character) that at first, I think I'm
>> safe, so I don't do an emergency 'save all'. I continue doing what
>> I'm doing and suddenly the world goes grey and the computer starts
>> to shut down. Joel often feels great concern by my wails of anguish,
>> especially if I'm working on some great spreadsheet for work and
>> have forgotten to do an interim save in the last few hours. And they
>> wonder why I can't work from home! I'm sure there's a way to disable the
>> power key using Windows
>> software, but if there is, I've yet to find it. I thought I was
>> ingenious by simply placing a beer bottle cap over it - it was the
>> perfect height and diameter such that it just covered the button
>> without sticking out and bothering the other buttons whilst being a
>> tight enough fit that it didn't fall off if I moved the keyboard or
>> was brushed by a passing cat fetlock. However, I very quickly
>> discover that Suki's most very favourite ever toy for batting around
>> is of course beer bottle caps, and putting said cap anywhere near my
>> keyboard attracted her and her roving paws even more. I've given up.
>>
>> Despite having two perfectly good computers in the house, with one
>> even going so far as to have a spill proof, cat fur proof silicone
>> keyboard, Joel & I pretty much now share his computer. Its really
>> only a matter of time, though, until Suki 'discovers' his keyboard
>> too. I wonder if walking on keyboards is to cats what reflexology is
>> to humans?
>
> And you say that you don't have cats performing masterful b*st*rd cat
> tricks any more? I think Suki is working hard to earn the title once
> held by the Great Smoggleberry. I also think she is doing a pretty
> good job of it.

Either Suki does an incredible job of acting like she's as smart as a sack
of hammers, or she truly is the dullest blade in the knife drawer. Shmogg,
late expert of the B*st*rd C*t Trick, on the other hand, clearly had the
smarts of lemon juice in a paper cut, and took great advantage of it.

I suspect Pickle is perhaps just as intelligent as Shmogg, but thus far has
remained a silent 'sleeper' rather than an active agent.

Shadow has now also discovered the out and I suspect may be soon adopted by
the next-door-but-one neighbours as she spends all her 'out' time in their
garden and rubbing on their legs, little flirt that she is. If they wish to
adopt her, then I'll sadly let them - she would be much happier as an 'only'
cat, and I would still get to see her anyway. She and Pickle would no longer
have brutal fights on my bed (and often over my squidgy and vulnerable
flesh, seperated by mere chook feathers and a layer of fabric from /savage
scimitars of insanity/ (aka their claws)) at night and neither would then
feel the need for a (unfortunatley literal) ****ing contest for the house's
alpha cat status.

I don't regret adopting Shadow, she's come an aweful long way from being the
frightened scaredy neurotic cat when she came home to us, but I've always
thought she'd be happiest as an only cat if only I knew someone else who
would put up with her neuroticisms. But now it seems that after nearly two
years of teaching her its OK to be a cat and do cat things in a normal cat
way (rather than expected to behave like a dog), perhaps if there's an
opportunity for her to be an only cat, perhaps I should allow her to take it
even if it does break my heart to do so. (and no, I haven't found that home
yet for her, although if the neighbours show an interest....). I think she
has overcome the worst of her neurtotic behaviour and has finally started
enjoying the life she has always deserved - as a much loved and rather
spoilt feline princess.

Yowie
--
"because its more fun to be evil" - Jarppi, _The Dudesons_

BfloPolska
July 3rd 09, 12:18 AM
On Jun 30, 11:38*pm, "Yowie" >
wrote:
> Kitchen counters are supposed to tbe a 'no go' zone for cats, but I've long
> since given up trying to dissuade any feline from being there. Pickle and
> Shadow are not really interested anyway, but Suki insists of strutting
> between kitchen counter, the window sill and the back of the lounge.

Lots of luck there...China has discovered that there are these things
called counters, and that the Two-legs use them to put stuff on, but
she knows better. Clearly they are made for little cat paws. China has
been investigating the counters and cabinets like a toddler busting
into the pots-and-pans cabinet, and has been just about as noisy. At 4
AM. Sleep? What's that? Oh yeah...something cats do during the day so
their slaves can go to work.

> Every time I use my computer, she appears from wherever she was and has to
> do the 'circuit' between the kitchen counter, the window sill and the back
> of the lounge. Often several times each way.
>
> And every single *&^%^*%$&$!!!! time she has to walk across the damn
> keyboard, often stopping to generously place her 'reading eye' directly on
> the keyboard so that she can meow at top decibel (as only a deaf cat can) to
> me to my face.

Ah, a Brandy trick. Often she comes up and marches the full length of
the desk, and then will play some of her favorite games: Walk on
Keyboard. Lie on Keyboard. Smack the Mouse. Purr and Pet.

> Lurking is no fun either.

It's good to see you back.

Blessed be,
Baha

Kajikit[_2_]
July 3rd 09, 03:51 AM
On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 13:38:52 +1000, "Yowie"
> wrote:

>Suki's favouite trick of all, though, is to just every so gently brush past
>the 'power' button on the keyboard, so delicately (and delicately being so
>out of character) that at first, I think I'm safe, so I don't do an
>emergency 'save all'. I continue doing what I'm doing and suddenly the world
>goes grey and the computer starts to shut down. Joel often feels great
>concern by my wails of anguish, especially if I'm working on some great
>spreadsheet for work and have forgotten to do an interim save in the last
>few hours. And they wonder why I can't work from home!
>
>I'm sure there's a way to disable the power key using Windows software, but
>if there is, I've yet to find it. I thought I was ingenious by simply
>placing a beer bottle cap over it - it was the perfect height and diameter
>such that it just covered the button without sticking out and bothering the
>other buttons whilst being a tight enough fit that it didn't fall off if I
>moved the keyboard or was brushed by a passing cat fetlock. However, I very
>quickly discover that Suki's most very favourite ever toy for batting around
>is of course beer bottle caps, and putting said cap anywhere near my
>keyboard attracted her and her roving paws even more.
>I've given up.

I had a keyboard with a 'sleep' button on it once... after
accidentally pressing it a dozen times and having felines walk across
the keyboard and turn me off, I levered that button OFF and tossed it
in the trash! Then I covered the hole with some tape so it couldn't be
accidentally pressed by a paw. I know you can't pry yours off if it's
a one-piece keyboard, so glue that beerbottle cap down!

Sherry
July 3rd 09, 04:15 AM
On Jun 30, 10:38*pm, "Yowie" >
wrote:
> [...]
> such that it just covered the button without sticking out and bothering the
> other buttons whilst being a tight enough fit that it didn't fall off if I
> moved the keyboard or was brushed by a passing cat fetlock. However, I very
> quickly discover that Suki's most very favourite ever toy for batting around
> is of course beer bottle caps, and putting said cap anywhere near my
> keyboard attracted her and her roving paws even more.
> I've given up.
>
> Despite having two perfectly good computers in the house, with one even
> going so far as to have a spill proof, cat fur proof silicone keyboard, Joel
> & I pretty much now share his computer. Its really only a matter of time,
> though, until Suki 'discovers' his keyboard too. I wonder if walking on
> keyboards is to cats what reflexology is to humans?

Cats can do amazing things to a computer when it's turned on. They
could probably
do some *real* damage if they had credit cards...(they don't, do
they?)
The creepiest computer-cat-trick was my old Cherokee, in 1994 when I
had my
first Macintosh. I turned it off every night; but it booted up by
pushing one button
on the keyboard. If anyone remembers old Macs, here's what Cherokee
did;
He must've jumped onthe keyboard, hit the "on" key and the computer
booted up. The
harddrive was an icon, on the desktop, and to change its name, all
you did was higlight
the icon and type in the new name.
Believe it or not, we got up onemorning, the Mac was not only turned
on, but the hard drive
had been re-named "666". Scary, huh?

Sherry

Marina
July 3rd 09, 04:32 AM
Sherry wrote:
> Cats can do amazing things to a computer when it's turned on. They
> could probably
> do some *real* damage if they had credit cards...(they don't, do
> they?)
> The creepiest computer-cat-trick was my old Cherokee, in 1994 when I
> had my
> first Macintosh. I turned it off every night; but it booted up by
> pushing one button
> on the keyboard. If anyone remembers old Macs, here's what Cherokee
> did;
> He must've jumped onthe keyboard, hit the "on" key and the computer
> booted up. The
> harddrive was an icon, on the desktop, and to change its name, all
> you did was higlight
> the icon and type in the new name.
> Believe it or not, we got up onemorning, the Mac was not only turned
> on, but the hard drive
> had been re-named "666". Scary, huh?

Now that's scary. LOL!

--