PDA

View Full Version : A pure white kitten has been dumped here

Pat[_4_]
July 7th 09, 09:56 PM
We started seeing it yesterday - a little thing, probably not more than 10
weeks old, pure white, short-haired and cute as can be, but just a bit
frightened of the hoomins. I left a bowl of food in the yard when I saw the
kitten early this morning sleeping under an elm tree by the fence. Looked
like this was where it spent the night.

I made sure the bitty saw me as I left the food about 20' away. Then I went
away. A few minutes later I peeked around the corner to see if white bitty
was eating the food. Sure enough, and it saw me peeking too, and did not run
off.

Later, I was walking in a different part of the yard and startled the white
bitty, who ran off into the blackberry patch. I happened to notice a few
bites left in the food bowl at that time, and later it was gone. So the
bitty is still around.

Ah, just what I needed, another cat! And while I still have Twiggy and her
brood of two in treatment for earmites.

Gandalf
July 8th 09, 05:11 AM
On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 15:56:39 -0500, "Pat" >
wrote:

>We started seeing it yesterday - a little thing, probably not more than 10
>weeks old, pure white, short-haired and cute as can be, but just a bit
>frightened of the hoomins. I left a bowl of food in the yard when I saw the
>kitten early this morning sleeping under an elm tree by the fence. Looked
>like this was where it spent the night.
>
>I made sure the bitty saw me as I left the food about 20' away. Then I went
>away. A few minutes later I peeked around the corner to see if white bitty
>was eating the food. Sure enough, and it saw me peeking too, and did not run
>off.
>
>Later, I was walking in a different part of the yard and startled the white
>bitty, who ran off into the blackberry patch. I happened to notice a few
>bites left in the food bowl at that time, and later it was gone. So the
>bitty is still around.
>
>Ah, just what I needed, another cat! And while I still have Twiggy and her
>brood of two in treatment for earmites.

How is it that dumped cats and kittens ALWAYS seem to find the cat lover
in the area? And the cat lover who can't pay for the cats she already
has?

I have a BIG weakness for white cats: I got Blizzard(RB) when she was
too young to be away from her mother, and she shared my life for 18
wonderful years. She wasn't a very smart cat, but she sure knew how to
be a sweet kitty! A consummate lap fungus; one of the many things I miss
terribly :(

I hope this kitten does well under your care, and doesn't run up a big
vet bill....yeah, like that's not going to happen...

Please keep us posted. Any chance of pics, maybe a little later? I love
pics of white kittens :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~ >^..^<

- Robert Heinlein

Takayuki
July 8th 09, 05:24 AM
"Pat" > wrote:
>We started seeing it yesterday - a little thing, probably not more than 10
>weeks old, pure white, short-haired and cute as can be, but just a bit
>frightened of the hoomins. I left a bowl of food in the yard when I saw the
>kitten early this morning sleeping under an elm tree by the fence. Looked
>like this was where it spent the night.

You have an epidemic! I hope you'll be able to do something for the
kitten. She sounds extremely cute, but I don't envy you. It's funny
that I've never seen any kittens in my own neighborhood, just the
neighbors' cats on their usual rounds.

Takayuki
July 8th 09, 05:34 AM
(Gandalf) wrote:
>How is it that dumped cats and kittens ALWAYS seem to find the cat lover
>in the area? And the cat lover who can't pay for the cats she already
>has?
>
>I have a BIG weakness for white cats: I got Blizzard(RB) when she was
>too young to be away from her mother, and she shared my life for 18
>wonderful years. She wasn't a very smart cat, but she sure knew how to
>be a sweet kitty! A consummate lap fungus; one of the many things I miss
>terribly :(
>
>I hope this kitten does well under your care, and doesn't run up a big
>vet bill....yeah, like that's not going to happen...
>
>Please keep us posted. Any chance of pics, maybe a little later? I love
>pics of white kittens :)

But she'll need a zoom lens, since Pat can't get within 20 feet of
her. Krista once mentioned that tiny white cats that you can't get
near are twinkle-afar cats, from this poem:

High in a tree
at the alley’s end.
Right at the top
so no-one can get her,
or fret her
or pet her,
lives one little cat

A tiny-white-star cat,
a twinkle afar cat.
In the moonlight she dances,
like snowflakes on branches,
she spins and she whirls.

Pat[_4_]
July 8th 09, 06:06 AM
"Gandalf" > wrote

| How is it that dumped cats and kittens ALWAYS seem to find the cat lover
| in the area? And the cat lover who can't pay for the cats she already
| has?

I've about decided to start a charity for rescued cats. I know how to apply
for the tax-exempt status.... There will be a website, and depending on
funding, perhaps I will be able to get a bigger place. I'd like to emulate
Cat House on The Kings but on a smaller scale.

See http://www.cathouseonthekings.com/facility.php - watch the video.

| I have a BIG weakness for white cats: I got Blizzard(RB) when she was
| too young to be away from her mother, and she shared my life for 18
| wonderful years. She wasn't a very smart cat, but she sure knew how to
| be a sweet kitty! A consummate lap fungus; one of the many things I miss
| terribly :(

I miss my Cotton-cat terribly too. He was a gentle long-haired giant who
sang to me and brought me unharmed live snakes because he knew I love them.

| I hope this kitten does well under your care, and doesn't run up a big
| vet bill....yeah, like that's not going to happen...

I have yet to see if I can even get close to it.

| Please keep us posted. Any chance of pics, maybe a little later? I love
| pics of white kittens :)

I'll sure try. Lazy me, haven't even gotten pics of the little brood yet.
BTW mama got her stitches out and is doing well. She's so small....

Sherry
July 8th 09, 06:28 AM
On Jul 8, 12:06*am, "Pat" > wrote:
> "Gandalf" > wrote
>
> | How is it that dumped cats and kittens ALWAYS seem to find the cat lover
> | in the area? And the cat lover who can't pay for the cats she already
> | has?
>
> I've about decided to start a charity for rescued cats. I know how to apply
> for the tax-exempt status.... There will be a website, and depending on
> funding, perhaps I will be able to get a bigger place. I'd like to emulate
> Cat House on The Kings but on a smaller scale.
>
> Seehttp://www.cathouseonthekings.com/facility.php- watch the video.
>
> | I have a BIG weakness for white cats: I got Blizzard(RB) when she was
> | too young to be away from her mother, and she shared my life for 18
> | wonderful years. She wasn't a very smart cat, but she sure knew how to
> | be a sweet kitty! A consummate lap fungus; one of the many things I miss
> | terribly :(
>
> I miss my Cotton-cat terribly too. He was a gentle long-haired giant who
> sang to me and brought me unharmed live snakes because he knew I love them.
> |
> | I hope this kitten does well under your care, and doesn't run up a big
> | vet bill....yeah, like that's not going to happen...
>
> I have yet to see if I can even get close to it.
>
> | Please keep us posted. Any chance of pics, maybe a little later? I love
> | pics of white kittens :)
>
> I'll sure try. Lazy me, haven't even gotten pics of the little brood yet.
> BTW mama got her stitches out and is doing well. She's so small....

I'd seen that video before and was very impressed. There *has* to be a
lot more involved than
the video suggests -- it would take a tremendous amount of money to
properly care for so many.
And the owner surely has a corps of volunteers to keep it so nice for
the cats. Just for appearances,
the place really looks great.

Sherry

Karla
July 8th 09, 02:46 PM
"Takayuki" > wrote in message
> (Gandalf) wrote:
>>How is it that dumped cats and kittens ALWAYS seem to find the cat lover
>>in the area? And the cat lover who can't pay for the cats she already
>>has?
>>
>>I have a BIG weakness for white cats: I got Blizzard(RB) when she was
>>too young to be away from her mother, and she shared my life for 18
>>wonderful years. She wasn't a very smart cat, but she sure knew how to
>>be a sweet kitty! A consummate lap fungus; one of the many things I miss
>>terribly :(
>>
>>I hope this kitten does well under your care, and doesn't run up a big
>>vet bill....yeah, like that's not going to happen...
>>
>>Please keep us posted. Any chance of pics, maybe a little later? I love
>>pics of white kittens :)
>
> But she'll need a zoom lens, since Pat can't get within 20 feet of
> her. Krista once mentioned that tiny white cats that you can't get
> near are twinkle-afar cats, from this poem:
>
> High in a tree
> at the alley's end.
> Right at the top
> so no-one can get her,
> or fret her
> or pet her,
> lives one little cat
>
> A tiny-white-star cat,
> a twinkle afar cat.
> In the moonlight she dances,
> like snowflakes on branches,
> she spins and she whirls.

That is lovely, thank you,
Karla

Outsider
July 8th 09, 08:04 PM
(Gandalf) wrote in
:

> How is it that dumped cats and kittens ALWAYS seem to find the cat
> lover in the area? And the cat lover who can't pay for the cats she
> already has?

The cat food dish in the back yard might be a hint.

> I have a BIG weakness for white cats:

Yeah, white cats are great.

Andy

Pat[_4_]
July 8th 09, 09:33 PM
"outsider" > wrote
| (Gandalf) wrote

| > How is it that dumped cats and kittens ALWAYS seem to find the cat
| > lover in the area? And the cat lover who can't pay for the cats she
| > already has?
| >
| The cat food dish in the back yard might be a hint.

There's no permanent feeding station or dish in the backyard; I don't leave
food outside as a rule. But if there's a hungry wild kitten hanging around,
what choice do I have?

Gandalf
July 9th 09, 08:34 AM
On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 15:33:27 -0500, "Pat" >
wrote:

>"outsider" > wrote
>| (Gandalf) wrote
>
>| > How is it that dumped cats and kittens ALWAYS seem to find the cat
>| > lover in the area? And the cat lover who can't pay for the cats she
>| > already has?
>| >
>| The cat food dish in the back yard might be a hint.
>
>There's no permanent feeding station or dish in the backyard; I don't leave
>food outside as a rule. But if there's a hungry wild kitten hanging around,
>what choice do I have?

None, really. No cat lover has a choice in this situation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ >^..^<

- Robert Heinlein

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
July 9th 09, 08:55 PM
Pat wrote:
> "outsider" > wrote
> | (Gandalf) wrote
>
> | > How is it that dumped cats and kittens ALWAYS seem to find the cat
> | > lover in the area? And the cat lover who can't pay for the cats she
> | > already has?
> | >
> | The cat food dish in the back yard might be a hint.
>
> There's no permanent feeding station or dish in the backyard; I don't leave
> food outside as a rule. But if there's a hungry wild kitten hanging around,
> what choice do I have?

Ignore it? ;-) (Non pet people would, without even thinking about it!)

Kyla =^..^=[_2_]
July 10th 09, 05:12 AM
"Gandalf"
> On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 15:33:27 -0500, "Pat" > wrote:
>

>>"outsider" (Gandalf) wrote

>>| The cat food dish in the back yard might be a hint.
>>
>>There's no permanent feeding station or dish in the backyard; I don't
>>leave
>>food outside as a rule. But if there's a hungry wild kitten hanging
>>around,
>>what choice do I have?
>>

> None, really. No cat lover has a choice in this situation.

I feed a couple of ferals on my patio, and I'm on a very limited income,
but I can do without a few things, and daily give then some kibble and the
leftovers that my 4 haven't eaten for their last meal. I also have a few
cans of canned that my cats hate, so I feed the ferals.
Simple as that.
The 2 young possums came by again last night...awwww
Kyla

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~ >^..^<
>
> "Life without cats would be only marginally worth living."
> -TC, and the unmercifully, relentlessly, sweet calico kitty, Kenzie.
>
> Every day is a treasure with Kenzie; I try to treat them that way. There
> will only be so many, and then there will never, ever, be any more.
>
> How you behave towards cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
> - Robert Heinlein

Sherry
July 10th 09, 06:14 AM
On Jul 9, 11:12*pm, "Kyla =^..^=" > wrote:
> "Gandalf"
>

> > On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 15:33:27 -0500, "Pat" > wrote:
>
> >>"outsider" *(Gandalf) wrote

> >>There's no permanent feeding station or dish in the backyard; I don't
> >>leave
> >>food outside as a rule. But if there's a hungry wild kitten hanging
> >>around,
> >>what choice do I have?
>
> > None, really. No cat lover has a choice in this situation.
>
> I feed a couple of *ferals on my patio, and I'm on a very limited income,
> but I can do without a few things, and daily give then some kibble and the
> leftovers that my 4 haven't eaten for their last meal. *I also have a few
> cans of canned that my cats hate, so I feed the ferals.
> Simple as that.
> The 2 young possums came by again last night...awwww
> Kyla

It would be great if you could trap, neuter, and release the ferals.
It's not an easy task.
Maybe your humane society would help you with that. When they're
living in
neighborhoods & being fed, they do breed prolifically. Public opinion
is really
divided WRT feeding ferals -- I understand that it's impossible to
turn away a
cat that looks hungry. But there's a rule (even a law in some
communities)..."If
you feed it, you own it."
Vet costs have skyrocketed in the last 10 years or so to where now,
most people
aren't financially able to spay, neuter and vaccinate every stray cat
in the neighborhood.
But ferals can be responsible for spreading disease to owned cats. And
there's always
some jerk in the neighborhood who just doesn't like cats and starts
complaining.
Then animal control gets involved, which is usually not a good thing
for the ferals.

I had a feral male I tried to trap for a year. We caught everthing in
that trap *except* that cat.
Thank God it was male, so at least we never had kittens. But I'm sure
he left a long progeny
somewhere down the road. He disappeared and I still feel bad about
that cat. He's the only
stray ever, that I didn't end up taking responsibility for. Another
one had to be PTS because
he *was* diseased, but it was better than dying a slow death from
FeLV.

Knock on wood, we have had no stray cats in over a year. I am glad.
The onlything I feed outdoors
is a terrapin, who comes up every a.m. and eats dry cat kibble off the
porch.

Sherry

jmcquown[_2_]
July 10th 09, 12:30 PM
"hopitus" > wrote in message
On Jul 9, 11:14 pm, Sherry > wrote:
> On Jul 9, 11:12 pm, "Kyla =^..^=" > wrote:

> > > None, really. No cat lover has a choice in this situation.
>
> > I feed a couple of ferals on my patio, and I'm on a very limited income,
> > but I can do without a few things, and daily give then some kibble and
> > the
> > leftovers that my 4 haven't eaten for their last meal. I also have a few
> > cans of canned that my cats hate, so I feed the ferals.
> > Simple as that.
> > The 2 young possums came by again last night...awwww
> > Kyla
>
> It would be great if you could trap, neuter, and release the ferals.
> It's not an easy task.
> Maybe your humane society would help you with that. When they're
> living in
> neighborhoods & being fed, they do breed prolifically. Public opinion
> is really
> divided WRT feeding ferals -- I understand that it's impossible to
> turn away a
> cat that looks hungry. But there's a rule (even a law in some
> communities)..."If
> you feed it, you own it."
> Vet costs have skyrocketed in the last 10 years or so to where now,
> most people
> aren't financially able to spay, neuter and vaccinate every stray cat
> in the neighborhood.
> But ferals can be responsible for spreading disease to owned cats. And
> there's always
> some jerk in the neighborhood who just doesn't like cats and starts
> complaining.
> Then animal control gets involved, which is usually not a good thing
> for the ferals.
>
> I had a feral male I tried to trap for a year. We caught everthing in
> that trap *except* that cat.
> Thank God it was male, so at least we never had kittens. But I'm sure
> he left a long progeny
> somewhere down the road. He disappeared and I still feel bad about
> that cat. He's the only
> stray ever, that I didn't end up taking responsibility for. Another
> one had to be PTS because
> he *was* diseased, but it was better than dying a slow death from
> FeLV.
>
> Knock on wood, we have had no stray cats in over a year. I am glad.
> The onlything I feed outdoors
> is a terrapin, who comes up every a.m. and eats dry cat kibble off the
> porch.
>
> Sherry

When my first offspring was a boy, we had a box turtle we had brought
home from the Everglades, and it ate cat kibble out of the cat's bowl
right beside her. Cat was not too thrilled with this companion but
this
went on for several years....till we moved to a place very near the
river
and at the first opportunity, Tortuga headed for the river when we
weren't
looking and we never saw him again.

I'm sorry, I just had to laugh. Tortuga (Spanish for Turtle) is the name of
a Mexican restaurant in Germantown, TN. (No, they didn't serve turtles and
the food was quite excellent.) I haven't heard that word in a few years :)
I'm assuming Tortuga went off to do whatever turtles do...

Jill

Jofirey
July 11th 09, 04:19 AM
"hopitus" > wrote in message
On Jul 10, 5:30 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> [...]
> home from the Everglades, and it ate cat kibble out of the cat's
> bowl
> right beside her. Cat was not too thrilled with this companion but
> this
> went on for several years....till we moved to a place very near
> the
> river
> and at the first opportunity, Tortuga headed for the river when we
> weren't
> looking and we never saw him again.
>
> I'm sorry, I just had to laugh. Tortuga (Spanish for Turtle) is
> the name of
> a Mexican restaurant in Germantown, TN. (No, they didn't serve
> turtles and
> the food was quite excellent.) I haven't heard that word in a few
> years :)
> I'm assuming Tortuga went off to do whatever turtles do...

Thank you for wording that delicately in case we mourned his loss.
Well, we did,
but only his loss to *us*, not 'cause we thought he died. Let me
explain something.
Miami river is polluted, smelly, and anyone who lives right adjacent
to it at any point
has a *boat* and slip for it and only for that reason. A friend
whose
house was right
on the river (we lived a block away from it) told us they saw
Tortuga
makng his slow
beeline for the river, but had no idea he was ours, and just watched
him go throught
their yard toward it....the Everglades is, after all, a really big
*swamp* and we think
Tortuga could smell the water...they swim, and we had good reason to
believe he
lived a long and happy life. Uh oh...Tortuga was a *girl* having
laid
several eggs while
with us! So what a small world, a restaurant in TN. My dad's kin are
all in and around
McMinnville (middle TN) and Nashville and that's the only parts I've
ever been.

*******************

Tortuga is also the name of a restaurant in Fredrick MD, not too far
from Washington, DC. We would always stop there when heading out of
town, or when arriving back from elsewhere. It was just a little to
far to go if we weren't on our way somewhere else.

It had the second best Coconut Crème Pie in the world. A place in
Hawaii (Lions Head?) has the best.

Jo

John F. Eldredge
July 11th 09, 12:52 PM
On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 20:31:09 -0700, hopitus wrote:

> [...]
>> far to go if we weren't on our way somewhere else.
>>
>> It had the second best Coconut Crème Pie in the world. Â*A place in
>> Hawaii (Lions Head?) has the best.
>>
>> Jo
>
> My mouth is drooling for coconut creme pie. They grow on trees in your
> yard
> in south FL but there's busting into them, peeling, cracking them open,
> draining out the milk from the "eye" (when a kid I loved drinking the
> milk right'
> from the coconut) and hammering it open and extracting the meat out.
> Most of
> the year down there the heat discourages most folks from frequent baking
> of
> anything, except in winter. So we just used to *eat* the coconut meat.
> Not as
> good as a pie but to a little kid still a treat after all that work.

Coconut creme pies grow on trees in Florida?

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from http://pgp.mit.edu

Matthew[_3_]
July 11th 09, 06:30 PM
"John F. Eldredge" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 20:31:09 -0700, hopitus wrote:
>
>> On Jul 10, 9:19 pm, "Jofirey" > wrote:
>>> "hopitus" > wrote in message

>>> Thank you for wording that delicately in case we mourned his loss.
>>> Well, we did,
>>> but only his loss to *us*, not 'cause we thought he died. Let me
>>> explain something.
>>> Miami river is polluted, smelly, and anyone who lives right adjacent to
>>> it at any point
>>> has a *boat* and slip for it and only for that reason. A friend whose
>>> house was right
>>> on the river (we lived a block away from it) told us they saw Tortuga
>>> makng his slow
>>> beeline for the river, but had no idea he was ours, and just watched
>>> him go throught
>>> their yard toward it....the Everglades is, after all, a really big
>>> *swamp* and we think
>>> Tortuga could smell the water...they swim, and we had good reason to
>>> believe he
>>> lived a long and happy life. Uh oh...Tortuga was a *girl* having laid
>>> several eggs while
>>> with us! So what a small world, a restaurant in TN. My dad's kin are
>>> all in and around
>>> McMinnville (middle TN) and Nashville and that's the only parts I've
>>> ever been.
>>>
>>> *******************
>>>
>>> Tortuga is also the name of a restaurant in Fredrick MD, not too far
>>> from Washington, DC. We would always stop there when heading out of
>>> town, or when arriving back from elsewhere. It was just a little to
>>> far to go if we weren't on our way somewhere else.
>>>
>>> It had the second best Coconut Crème Pie in the world. A place in
>>> Hawaii (Lions Head?) has the best.
>>>
>>> Jo
>>
>> My mouth is drooling for coconut creme pie. They grow on trees in your
>> yard
>> in south FL but there's busting into them, peeling, cracking them open,
>> draining out the milk from the "eye" (when a kid I loved drinking the
>> milk right'
>> from the coconut) and hammering it open and extracting the meat out.
>> Most of
>> the year down there the heat discourages most folks from frequent baking
>> of
>> anything, except in winter. So we just used to *eat* the coconut meat.
>> Not as
>> good as a pie but to a little kid still a treat after all that work.
>
> Coconut creme pies grow on trees in Florida?

Yeappie along with a lot of tourist. Haven't you heard Florida is full of
nuts ;-)

> John F. Eldredge --
> PGP key available from http://pgp.mit.edu
> "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better
> than not to think at all." -- Hypatia of Alexandria

Kyla =^..^=[_2_]
July 11th 09, 07:13 PM
"Sherry"
On Jul 9, 11:12 pm, "Kyla =^..^="
> "Gandalf"
> > On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 15:33:27 -0500, "Pat" > wrote:
>
> >>"outsider" (Gandalf) wrote

> >>There's no permanent feeding station or dish in the backyard; I don't
> >>leave
> >>food outside as a rule. But if there's a hungry wild kitten hanging
> >>around,
> >>what choice do I have?
>
> > None, really. No cat lover has a choice in this situation.
>
> I feed a couple of ferals on my patio, and I'm on a very limited income,
> but I can do without a few things, and daily give then some kibble and the
> leftovers that my 4 haven't eaten for their last meal. I also have a few
> cans of canned that my cats hate, so I feed the ferals.
> Simple as that.
> The 2 young possums came by again last night...awwww
> Kyla

It would be great if you could trap, neuter, and release the ferals.
It's not an easy task.
Maybe your humane society would help you with that. When they're
living in
neighborhoods & being fed, they do breed prolifically. Public opinion
is really
divided WRT feeding ferals -- I understand that it's impossible to
turn away a
cat that looks hungry. But there's a rule (even a law in some
communities)..."If
you feed it, you own it."
Vet costs have skyrocketed in the last 10 years or so to where now,
most people
aren't financially able to spay, neuter and vaccinate every stray cat
in the neighborhood.
But ferals can be responsible for spreading disease to owned cats. And
there's always
some jerk in the neighborhood who just doesn't like cats and starts
complaining.
Then animal control gets involved, which is usually not a good thing
for the ferals.

I had a feral male I tried to trap for a year. We caught everthing in
that trap *except* that cat.
Thank God it was male, so at least we never had kittens. But I'm sure
he left a long progeny
somewhere down the road. He disappeared and I still feel bad about
that cat. He's the only
stray ever, that I didn't end up taking responsibility for. Another
one had to be PTS because
he *was* diseased, but it was better than dying a slow death from
FeLV.

Knock on wood, we have had no stray cats in over a year. I am glad.
The onlything I feed outdoors
is a terrapin, who comes up every a.m. and eats dry cat kibble off the
porch.

Sherry

*sigh* The humane society here is no help at all, and I just put out a small
amout of kibble anywway, and some water. I did give the ferals some canned
food that my cats ate and when I went out to the patio to get the paper
plate off the porch, a giant slug was on it. He got tossed into the garden.
We have 4 cats, are claiming only 3 and could get fined and evicted if they
found out. I keep the glass door shut most of the time and spray it down
with Lysol to kill the germs. I have no funds to get them fixed. But
you're right, about the disease part.
I'll get it figured out. Thanks everybody.
Luffs n Purrs
Kyla

July 11th 09, 10:36 PM

Yes, but as she said, it's a lot of work to get them open. :)

--
Joyce ^..^

Granby
July 13th 09, 02:50 PM
Opening coconuts is one thing I am good at. Get a 16 penny nail, a fat
nail, Make about three holes in the bottom, drain out the milk. Wrap the
coconut in a towel and whack a few times with a hammer. Not that I get a
lot of practice here in Illinois but a friend sends me one every now and
then. The ones in the stores are too green.