PDA

View Full Version : New Cat Cradle with Barrel

jmcquown[_2_]
July 8th 09, 01:59 PM
Persia's little kitty cradle with the barrel is much the worse for wear
since I first bought it in 2002. She occasionally bit chunks out of the
carpeting. And after sitting for a year in my untenanted apartment, not
vacuumed, it's just cruddy. (It was also off-white, sort of an oatmeal
shade... now it looks dirty light brown).

I decided Persia she needed a new one as befits her new house. The Drs.
Foster & Smith catalong had a sale on cat furniture. I found one very
similar to the one she had at a good price. Low to the ground, as she's
getting older. It's sort of moss green which will go very nicely with my
living room furniture and won't show dirt or fur as much.

The FedX guy delivered it yesterday afternoon while I was standing in the
driveway talking to Lynn. She'd just arrived home and came over to thank me
for cat-sitting again. She said, "Hmmm, what's this he's delivering?" The
driver said, "Looks like something for her cat!" LOL (How did he know I
have a cat?)

Sure enough, it's Persia's new cat furniture. Now I just have to put it
together. In preparation for this I decided to move the old one to the
other side of the room. Persia immediately took offense. How *dare* you
move my kitty cradle?! Never mind that she'd pointedly ignored it since I
brought it in here during the move. Suddenly it's "Don't move my
furniture!" and she was right up in the cradle. <G> So I had to move it
back by the big picture windows.

Once I get the new one assembled I'll move the other one out to the garage.
I may have to rub the new one with some catnip in order to get her to accept
it. But sorry, old girl, that other one is going to the Salvation Army.
I'm sure someone there will give it the Woolight treatment or whatever. Me,
I've already got tracked all over wall-to-wall white carpet (thanks Mom!) to
deal with.

Jill

Magic Mood Jeep
July 8th 09, 02:32 PM
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Persia's little kitty cradle with the barrel is much the worse for wear
> since I first bought it in 2002. She occasionally bit chunks out of the
> carpeting. And after sitting for a year in my untenanted apartment, not
> vacuumed, it's just cruddy. (It was also off-white, sort of an oatmeal
> shade... now it looks dirty light brown).
>
> I decided Persia she needed a new one as befits her new house. The Drs.
> Foster & Smith catalong had a sale on cat furniture. I found one very
> similar to the one she had at a good price. Low to the ground, as she's
> getting older. It's sort of moss green which will go very nicely with
> my living room furniture and won't show dirt or fur as much.
>
> The FedX guy delivered it yesterday afternoon while I was standing in
> the driveway talking to Lynn. She'd just arrived home and came over to
> thank me for cat-sitting again. She said, "Hmmm, what's this he's
> delivering?" The driver said, "Looks like something for her cat!" LOL
> (How did he know I have a cat?)
>
> Sure enough, it's Persia's new cat furniture. Now I just have to put it
> together. In preparation for this I decided to move the old one to the
> other side of the room. Persia immediately took offense. How *dare*
> you move my kitty cradle?! Never mind that she'd pointedly ignored it
> since I brought it in here during the move. Suddenly it's "Don't move
> my furniture!" and she was right up in the cradle. <G> So I had to move
> it back by the big picture windows.
>
> Once I get the new one assembled I'll move the other one out to the
> garage. I may have to rub the new one with some catnip in order to get
> her to accept it. But sorry, old girl, that other one is going to the
> Salvation Army. I'm sure someone there will give it the Woolight
> treatment or whatever. Me, I've already got tracked all over
> wall-to-wall white carpet (thanks Mom!) to deal with.
>
> Jill

Good luck with assembly :) But IIRC, Drs F & S assembly instructions are
slightly more user-friendly than IKEA :)

You may not need to rub it with catnip - I think Drs F & S infuse the
carpeting used in these with catnip spray - but then again, if they did
that, every cat in the neighborhood would have been following the delivery
van right to your door!

--
>^..^< This is Kitty. Copy and paste Kitty into your signature to help
her
wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde

jmcquown[_2_]
July 8th 09, 03:28 PM
"Magic Mood Jeep" > wrote in message
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Sure enough, it's Persia's new cat furniture. Now I just have to put it
>> together. In preparation for this I decided to move the old one to the
>> other side of the room. Persia immediately took offense. How *dare* you
>> move my kitty cradle?! Never mind that she'd pointedly ignored it since
>> I brought it in here during the move. Suddenly it's "Don't move my
>> furniture!" and she was right up in the cradle. <G> So I had to move it
>> back by the big picture windows.
>>
>> Once I get the new one assembled I'll move the other one out to the
>> garage. I may have to rub the new one with some catnip in order to get
>> her to accept it. But sorry, old girl, that other one is going to the
>> Salvation Army. I'm sure someone there will give it the Woolight
>> treatment or whatever. Me, I've already got tracked all over
>> wall-to-wall white carpet (thanks Mom!) to deal with.
>>
>> Jill
>

> Good luck with assembly :) But IIRC, Drs F & S assembly instructions are
> slightly more user-friendly than IKEA :)

Thanks! Having never purchased anything from IKEA I wouldn't know :) But I
am pretty handy with a set of tools. I'm pretty sure I can figure it out.
Thing is, Persia will probably want to "help", which as we know won't be all
that helpful.

> You may not need to rub it with catnip - I think Drs F & S infuse the
> carpeting used in these with catnip spray

I think they do, too. But she's been known to be standoffish about any
strange piece of furniture. We'll see. Her old one will be donated so some
other poor kitty might enjoy it.

> that, every cat in the neighborhood would have been following the delivery
> van right to your door!

Heh, that FedX driver pulled to a stop so fast he practically overshot the
house! Maybe he was running from the feral cats I'm told are on the island.
LOL I've never actually seen feral cats here. [I'm told there are feral
cats by the clubhouse, the tennis courts and the swimming pool. Since I'm
not a member of the club I wouldn't have any reason to go over there.]

Jill

jmcquown[_2_]
July 8th 09, 11:34 PM
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Persia's little kitty cradle with the barrel is much the worse for wear
> since I first bought it in 2002. She occasionally bit chunks out of the
> carpeting. And after sitting for a year in my untenanted apartment, not
> vacuumed, it's just cruddy. (It was also off-white, sort of an oatmeal
> shade... now it looks dirty light brown).
>
> I decided Persia she needed a new one as befits her new house. The Drs.
> Foster & Smith catalong had a sale on cat furniture. I found one very
> similar to the one she had at a good price. Low to the ground, as she's
> getting older. It's sort of moss green which will go very nicely with my
> living room furniture and won't show dirt or fur as much.
>
> The FedX guy delivered it yesterday afternoon while I was standing in the
> driveway talking to Lynn. She'd just arrived home and came over to thank
> me for cat-sitting again. She said, "Hmmm, what's this he's delivering?"
> The driver said, "Looks like something for her cat!" LOL (How did he know
> I have a cat?)
>
> Sure enough, it's Persia's new cat furniture. Now I just have to put it
> together. In preparation for this I decided to move the old one to the
> other side of the room. Persia immediately took offense. How *dare* you
> move my kitty cradle?! Never mind that she'd pointedly ignored it since I
> brought it in here during the move. Suddenly it's "Don't move my
> furniture!" and she was right up in the cradle. <G> So I had to move it
> back by the big picture windows.
>
> Once I get the new one assembled I'll move the other one out to the
> garage. I may have to rub the new one with some catnip in order to get her
> to accept it. But sorry, old girl, that other one is going to the
> Salvation Army. I'm sure someone there will give it the Woolight treatment
> or whatever. Me, I've already got tracked all over wall-to-wall white
> carpet (thanks Mom!) to deal with.
>
> Jill

Update: I'm sending it back. I won't mention the specific model here but
if you need to know you can email me.

The assembly instructions were simple. Screw the wooden posts into the
bottom of the covered cradle. Sure. They screwed in... and kept turning
and turning and turning. They never did tighten; the holes for the screws
in the cradle were stripped. I wouldn't trust a grasshopper to jump up on
it, much less Persia. I continued to assemble it, hoping as I got it more
together somehow it would stabilize. It didn't.

I took advantage of Drs. Foster & Smith's online live help. (A nice
feature.) They did their best to help me get this thing safely assembled.
I'm sorry, it's wobbly and weak.

I'm not a novice at putting things together, not by a long shot. I'm going
to send this piece of cat furniture back. I'll clean Persia's old one
somehow and rub it with some catnip to get her attention. Meanwhile, she
has her crackle sack, her pyramid bed, and my new bed to snooze on :)

Jill

Magic Mood Jeep
July 9th 09, 01:31 AM
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> [...]
>
> The assembly instructions were simple. Screw the wooden posts into the
> bottom of the covered cradle. Sure. They screwed in... and kept
> turning and turning and turning. They never did tighten; the holes for
> the screws in the cradle were stripped. I wouldn't trust a grasshopper
> to jump up on it, much less Persia. I continued to assemble it, hoping
> as I got it more together somehow it would stabilize. It didn't.
>
> I took advantage of Drs. Foster & Smith's online live help. (A nice
> feature.) They did their best to help me get this thing safely
> assembled. I'm sorry, it's wobbly and weak.
>
> I'm not a novice at putting things together, not by a long shot. I'm
> going to send this piece of cat furniture back. I'll clean Persia's old
> one somehow and rub it with some catnip to get her attention.
> Meanwhile, she has her crackle sack, her pyramid bed, and my new bed to

Bummer. I know Weebs LOVES any new piece of FURniture.