PDA

View Full Version : speaking of blindness, on topic

Stormmee
July 9th 09, 11:16 AM
one of the finest things about animals is their ability to understannd our
limits as humans, all of the animals i have ever cared for, except the fish
have figured out very quickly that i couldn't see, depending on the degree
of my vision limits at the time the animals have adpated, the squirrel i had
used to go under the bed and bring me its nuts so i could open them, the
raccoon would bang his water dis to get it filled, the first dog guide knew
which side was worst and protected that side more... second dog picked up
more and more of the mobility chores as my eyes got worse... and the cats...

Violette was ferrell and rarely showed herself during the day but at night
when she came out she would sit in front of DH to get his attention, to get
mine she would come up to me and put one tiny velvet paw on me to say i
want...

all of them have learned that when they want a pick up and cuddle they can
put their front paws on my leg and i will stop what i am doing and pick them
up.

if i am walking through the house and they are in the floor they meow, grunt
or grumble to let me know they are on the floor and to not step on them...
they stay silent if DH takes the same route.

it also has lead to some interesting ******* cat tricks but this post is
already too long to list those,

Lee

Granby
July 9th 09, 11:38 AM
My animals have always been the same until Willow. She will not move! Sort
of like, I am a cat, you are human. I know who should have the upper paw in
this situation, why don't you know this. Since she has taken up residence
in the fishtank, we don't have any issues.
"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> one of the finest things about animals is their ability to understannd our
> limits as humans, all of the animals i have ever cared for, except the
> fish have figured out very quickly that i couldn't see, depending on the
> degree of my vision limits at the time the animals have adpated, the
> squirrel i had used to go under the bed and bring me its nuts so i could
> open them, the raccoon would bang his water dis to get it filled, the
> first dog guide knew which side was worst and protected that side more...
> second dog picked up more and more of the mobility chores as my eyes got
> worse... and the cats...
>
> Violette was ferrell and rarely showed herself during the day but at night
> when she came out she would sit in front of DH to get his attention, to
> get mine she would come up to me and put one tiny velvet paw on me to say
> i want...
>
> all of them have learned that when they want a pick up and cuddle they can
> put their front paws on my leg and i will stop what i am doing and pick
> them up.
>
> if i am walking through the house and they are in the floor they meow,
> grunt or grumble to let me know they are on the floor and to not step on
> them... they stay silent if DH takes the same route.
>
> it also has lead to some interesting ******* cat tricks but this post is
> already too long to list those,
>
> Lee

Stormmee
July 9th 09, 12:19 PM
so she adapted her surroundings to fit both your and her needs, smart cat,
Lee
"Granby" > wrote in message
> My animals have always been the same until Willow. She will not move!
> Sort of like, I am a cat, you are human. I know who should have the upper
> paw in this situation, why don't you know this. Since she has taken up
> residence in the fishtank, we don't have any issues.
> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> one of the finest things about animals is their ability to understannd
>> our limits as humans, all of the animals i have ever cared for, except
>> the fish have figured out very quickly that i couldn't see, depending on
>> the degree of my vision limits at the time the animals have adpated, the
>> squirrel i had used to go under the bed and bring me its nuts so i could
>> open them, the raccoon would bang his water dis to get it filled, the
>> first dog guide knew which side was worst and protected that side more...
>> second dog picked up more and more of the mobility chores as my eyes got
>> worse... and the cats...
>>
>> Violette was ferrell and rarely showed herself during the day but at
>> night when she came out she would sit in front of DH to get his
>> attention, to get mine she would come up to me and put one tiny velvet
>> paw on me to say i want...
>>
>> all of them have learned that when they want a pick up and cuddle they
>> can put their front paws on my leg and i will stop what i am doing and
>> pick them up.
>>
>> if i am walking through the house and they are in the floor they meow,
>> grunt or grumble to let me know they are on the floor and to not step on
>> them... they stay silent if DH takes the same route.
>>
>> it also has lead to some interesting ******* cat tricks but this post is
>> already too long to list those,
>>
>> Lee

Granby
July 9th 09, 08:21 PM
well, yeah but also had something to do with tolerating the dog when she
wants to and ignoring the other cats when she wants. I was just a side
benefit.
"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> so she adapted her surroundings to fit both your and her needs, smart cat,
> Lee
> "Granby" > wrote in message
>> My animals have always been the same until Willow. She will not move!
>> Sort of like, I am a cat, you are human. I know who should have the
>> upper paw in this situation, why don't you know this. Since she has
>> taken up residence in the fishtank, we don't have any issues.
>> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>> one of the finest things about animals is their ability to understannd
>>> our limits as humans, all of the animals i have ever cared for, except
>>> the fish have figured out very quickly that i couldn't see, depending on
>>> the degree of my vision limits at the time the animals have adpated, the
>>> squirrel i had used to go under the bed and bring me its nuts so i could
>>> open them, the raccoon would bang his water dis to get it filled, the
>>> first dog guide knew which side was worst and protected that side
>>> more... second dog picked up more and more of the mobility chores as my
>>> eyes got worse... and the cats...
>>>
>>> Violette was ferrell and rarely showed herself during the day but at
>>> night when she came out she would sit in front of DH to get his
>>> attention, to get mine she would come up to me and put one tiny velvet
>>> paw on me to say i want...
>>>
>>> all of them have learned that when they want a pick up and cuddle they
>>> can put their front paws on my leg and i will stop what i am doing and
>>> pick them up.
>>>
>>> if i am walking through the house and they are in the floor they meow,
>>> grunt or grumble to let me know they are on the floor and to not step on
>>> them... they stay silent if DH takes the same route.
>>>
>>> it also has lead to some interesting ******* cat tricks but this post is
>>> already too long to list those,
>>>
>>> Lee

tanadashoes
July 9th 09, 08:54 PM
"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> one of the finest things about animals is their ability to understannd our
> limits as humans, all of the animals i have ever cared for, except the
> fish have figured out very quickly that i couldn't see, depending on the
> degree of my vision limits at the time the animals have adpated, the
> squirrel i had used to go under the bed and bring me its nuts so i could
> open them, the raccoon would bang his water dis to get it filled, the
> first dog guide knew which side was worst and protected that side more...
> second dog picked up more and more of the mobility chores as my eyes got
> worse... and the cats...
>
> Violette was ferrell and rarely showed herself during the day but at night
> when she came out she would sit in front of DH to get his attention, to
> get mine she would come up to me and put one tiny velvet paw on me to say
> i want...
>
> all of them have learned that when they want a pick up and cuddle they can
> put their front paws on my leg and i will stop what i am doing and pick
> them up.
>
> if i am walking through the house and they are in the floor they meow,
> grunt or grumble to let me know they are on the floor and to not step on
> them... they stay silent if DH takes the same route.
>
> it also has lead to some interesting ******* cat tricks but this post is
> already too long to list those,
>
> Lee

That is so charming, Lee. Mine tend to stick in one place and I've learned
to slide my feet along the carpet at night (I'm night blind) so that we
don't have the cat yodeling voice of doom coming from the floor. The owners
also know that they have to get my attention physically or verbally to get
their snugglings at night. We manage, but as I've said in other posts, we
are not a quiet family.

Pam S.

Dan M
July 9th 09, 09:12 PM
On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 15:54:13 -0400, tanadashoes wrote:

> That is so charming, Lee. Mine tend to stick in one place and I've
> learned to slide my feet along the carpet at night (I'm night blind) so
> that we don't have the cat yodeling voice of doom coming from the floor.
> The owners also know that they have to get my attention physically or
> verbally to get their snugglings at night. We manage, but as I've said
> in other posts, we are not a quiet family.
>
> Pam S.

Our masters are pretty good about just taking what they want. If I'm
sitting in my rocking chair and a kitty wants lap time, they just hop up.
Well, Sammy usually meows for permission first, but even he sometimes
just hops up.

The only thing I've yet to work out with the cats is teaching Amelia how
to tell me that she wants to be an under-cat. She sometimes likes to come
under the covers when I'm in bed. If she's already on the bed she just
stands near the top of the sheets and scratches - that's her signal that
she wants to be an under-cat.

The problem is when she's on the floor, I'm in bed, and Amelia wants to
come up and under-cat. Her signal then is to stand by the side of bed and
stick her sharp claws into my butt. We REALLY need to work out a new
signal for that case.

tanadashoes
July 9th 09, 09:17 PM
"Dan M" > wrote in message

> Our masters are pretty good about just taking what they want. If I'm
> sitting in my rocking chair and a kitty wants lap time, they just hop up.
> Well, Sammy usually meows for permission first, but even he sometimes
> just hops up.
>
> The only thing I've yet to work out with the cats is teaching Amelia how
> to tell me that she wants to be an under-cat. She sometimes likes to come
> under the covers when I'm in bed. If she's already on the bed she just
> stands near the top of the sheets and scratches - that's her signal that
> she wants to be an under-cat.
>
> The problem is when she's on the floor, I'm in bed, and Amelia wants to
> come up and under-cat. Her signal then is to stand by the side of bed and
> stick her sharp claws into my butt. We REALLY need to work out a new
> signal for that case.

Man I can agree with that. Tanada likes to under-cat. However, she lets me
know that she is there and I shouldn't move (I toss and turn a lot) by
sticking one claw into my intact cheek. Talk about jumping out of bed. . .

Pam S.

Stormmee
July 9th 09, 09:29 PM
it is very interesting because even the tome of the meow is different,
like... oh fat one do not crush me, Lee
"tanadashoes" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> one of the finest things about animals is their ability to understannd
>> our limits as humans, all of the animals i have ever cared for, except
>> the fish have figured out very quickly that i couldn't see, depending on
>> the degree of my vision limits at the time the animals have adpated, the
>> squirrel i had used to go under the bed and bring me its nuts so i could
>> open them, the raccoon would bang his water dis to get it filled, the
>> first dog guide knew which side was worst and protected that side more...
>> second dog picked up more and more of the mobility chores as my eyes got
>> worse... and the cats...
>>
>> Violette was ferrell and rarely showed herself during the day but at
>> night when she came out she would sit in front of DH to get his
>> attention, to get mine she would come up to me and put one tiny velvet
>> paw on me to say i want...
>>
>> all of them have learned that when they want a pick up and cuddle they
>> can put their front paws on my leg and i will stop what i am doing and
>> pick them up.
>>
>> if i am walking through the house and they are in the floor they meow,
>> grunt or grumble to let me know they are on the floor and to not step on
>> them... they stay silent if DH takes the same route.
>>
>> it also has lead to some interesting ******* cat tricks but this post is
>> already too long to list those,
>>
>> Lee
>
> That is so charming, Lee. Mine tend to stick in one place and I've
> learned to slide my feet along the carpet at night (I'm night blind) so
> that we don't have the cat yodeling voice of doom coming from the floor.
> The owners also know that they have to get my attention physically or
> verbally to get their snugglings at night. We manage, but as I've said in
> other posts, we are not a quiet family.
>
> Pam S.

Stormmee
July 9th 09, 09:32 PM
try pourning a cup of coffee in the morning, a bit of artheritis, and
blind... Trudi wants attention NOW... she can't wait until i am done
puouring and turn around...NONONO!!! that little bitty hussy can strech just
the shot part of my rear end and sink both front claws in, Lee
"Dan M" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 15:54:13 -0400, tanadashoes wrote:
>
>> That is so charming, Lee. Mine tend to stick in one place and I've
>> learned to slide my feet along the carpet at night (I'm night blind) so
>> that we don't have the cat yodeling voice of doom coming from the floor.
>> The owners also know that they have to get my attention physically or
>> verbally to get their snugglings at night. We manage, but as I've said
>> in other posts, we are not a quiet family.
>>
>> Pam S.
>
> Our masters are pretty good about just taking what they want. If I'm
> sitting in my rocking chair and a kitty wants lap time, they just hop up.
> Well, Sammy usually meows for permission first, but even he sometimes
> just hops up.
>
> The only thing I've yet to work out with the cats is teaching Amelia how
> to tell me that she wants to be an under-cat. She sometimes likes to come
> under the covers when I'm in bed. If she's already on the bed she just
> stands near the top of the sheets and scratches - that's her signal that
> she wants to be an under-cat.
>
> The problem is when she's on the floor, I'm in bed, and Amelia wants to
> come up and under-cat. Her signal then is to stand by the side of bed and
> stick her sharp claws into my butt. We REALLY need to work out a new
> signal for that case.

Granby
July 9th 09, 10:47 PM
O T has one front claw that comes and then tends to spiral. When he wants
attention and puts his paws on me, this one nail always gets me. I try and
keep it cut very short but it seems to grow faster than the others. He does
his aerobics on my stomach and man that can hurt. It is like he has a four
piece marching band and every fourth beat, it is a stick it to her beat.
"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> it is very interesting because even the tome of the meow is different,
> like... oh fat one do not crush me, Lee
> "tanadashoes" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>> one of the finest things about animals is their ability to understannd
>>> our limits as humans, all of the animals i have ever cared for, except
>>> the fish have figured out very quickly that i couldn't see, depending on
>>> the degree of my vision limits at the time the animals have adpated, the
>>> squirrel i had used to go under the bed and bring me its nuts so i could
>>> open them, the raccoon would bang his water dis to get it filled, the
>>> first dog guide knew which side was worst and protected that side
>>> more... second dog picked up more and more of the mobility chores as my
>>> eyes got worse... and the cats...
>>>
>>> Violette was ferrell and rarely showed herself during the day but at
>>> night when she came out she would sit in front of DH to get his
>>> attention, to get mine she would come up to me and put one tiny velvet
>>> paw on me to say i want...
>>>
>>> all of them have learned that when they want a pick up and cuddle they
>>> can put their front paws on my leg and i will stop what i am doing and
>>> pick them up.
>>>
>>> if i am walking through the house and they are in the floor they meow,
>>> grunt or grumble to let me know they are on the floor and to not step on
>>> them... they stay silent if DH takes the same route.
>>>
>>> it also has lead to some interesting ******* cat tricks but this post is
>>> already too long to list those,
>>>
>>> Lee
>>
>> That is so charming, Lee. Mine tend to stick in one place and I've
>> learned to slide my feet along the carpet at night (I'm night blind) so
>> that we don't have the cat yodeling voice of doom coming from the floor.
>> The owners also know that they have to get my attention physically or
>> verbally to get their snugglings at night. We manage, but as I've said
>> in other posts, we are not a quiet family.
>>
>> Pam S.

Kyla =^..^=[_2_]
July 11th 09, 07:18 PM
That is amazing and wonderful, lee. You have some very special creatures
there.
Kyla

"Stormmee"
> one of the finest things about animals is their ability to understannd our
> limits as humans, all of the animals i have ever cared for, except the
> fish have figured out very quickly that i couldn't see, depending on the
> degree of my vision limits at the time the animals have adpated, the
> squirrel i had used to go under the bed and bring me its nuts so i could
> open them, the raccoon would bang his water dis to get it filled, the
> first dog guide knew which side was worst and protected that side more...
> second dog picked up more and more of the mobility chores as my eyes got
> worse... and the cats...
>
> Violette was ferrell and rarely showed herself during the day but at night
> when she came out she would sit in front of DH to get his attention, to
> get mine she would come up to me and put one tiny velvet paw on me to say
> i want...
>
> all of them have learned that when they want a pick up and cuddle they can
> put their front paws on my leg and i will stop what i am doing and pick
> them up.
>
> if i am walking through the house and they are in the floor they meow,
> grunt or grumble to let me know they are on the floor and to not step on
> them... they stay silent if DH takes the same route.
>
> it also has lead to some interesting ******* cat tricks but this post is
> already too long to list those,
>
> Lee

Christina Websell
July 12th 09, 06:10 PM
"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> one of the finest things about animals is their ability to understannd our
> limits as humans, all of the animals i have ever cared for, except the
> fish have figured out very quickly that i couldn't see, depending on the
> degree of my vision limits at the time the animals have adpated, the
> squirrel i had used to go under the bed and bring me its nuts so i could
> open them, the raccoon would bang his water dis to get it filled, the
> first dog guide knew which side was worst and protected that side more...
> second dog picked up more and more of the mobility chores as my eyes got
> worse... and the cats...
>
> Violette was ferrell and rarely showed herself during the day but at night
> when she came out she would sit in front of DH to get his attention, to
> get mine she would come up to me and put one tiny velvet paw on me to say
> i want...
>
> all of them have learned that when they want a pick up and cuddle they can
> put their front paws on my leg and i will stop what i am doing and pick
> them up.
>
> if i am walking through the house and they are in the floor they meow,
> grunt or grumble to let me know they are on the floor and to not step on
> them... they stay silent if DH takes the same route.
>
> it also has lead to some interesting ******* cat tricks but this post is
> already too long to list those,

KFC soon learnt that her mainly black self on my black rug could lead to her
being trodden on. If I was on the move, she'd get up from the rug and sit
under a kitchen stool to protect herself. She was a very wise cat.
Boyfie doesn't have this problem, he is tabby & white and I can see him.
Guide dogs learn this too. If they are laying in the path of their owner
they get up and move.

Tweed

Stormmee
July 14th 09, 12:23 AM
or groan loudly like "could you walk aroud ne i just got comfortable, Lee
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> one of the finest things about animals is their ability to understannd
>> our limits as humans, all of the animals i have ever cared for, except
>> the fish have figured out very quickly that i couldn't see, depending on
>> the degree of my vision limits at the time the animals have adpated, the
>> squirrel i had used to go under the bed and bring me its nuts so i could
>> open them, the raccoon would bang his water dis to get it filled, the
>> first dog guide knew which side was worst and protected that side more...
>> second dog picked up more and more of the mobility chores as my eyes got
>> worse... and the cats...
>>
>> Violette was ferrell and rarely showed herself during the day but at
>> night when she came out she would sit in front of DH to get his
>> attention, to get mine she would come up to me and put one tiny velvet
>> paw on me to say i want...
>>
>> all of them have learned that when they want a pick up and cuddle they
>> can put their front paws on my leg and i will stop what i am doing and
>> pick them up.
>>
>> if i am walking through the house and they are in the floor they meow,
>> grunt or grumble to let me know they are on the floor and to not step on
>> them... they stay silent if DH takes the same route.
>>
>> it also has lead to some interesting ******* cat tricks but this post is
>> already too long to list those,
>>
> KFC soon learnt that her mainly black self on my black rug could lead to
> her being trodden on. If I was on the move, she'd get up from the rug and
> sit under a kitchen stool to protect herself. She was a very wise cat.
> Boyfie doesn't have this problem, he is tabby & white and I can see him.
> Guide dogs learn this too. If they are laying in the path of their owner
> they get up and move.
>
> Tweed

Stormmee
July 14th 09, 12:24 AM
you only think that because i haven't posted the very long list of *******
cat things they can, will, and have done bbecause they know i can't see, Lee
"Kyla =^..^=" > wrote in message
> That is amazing and wonderful, lee. You have some very special creatures
> there.
> Kyla
>
> "Stormmee"
>> one of the finest things about animals is their ability to understannd
>> our limits as humans, all of the animals i have ever cared for, except
>> the fish have figured out very quickly that i couldn't see, depending on
>> the degree of my vision limits at the time the animals have adpated, the
>> squirrel i had used to go under the bed and bring me its nuts so i could
>> open them, the raccoon would bang his water dis to get it filled, the
>> first dog guide knew which side was worst and protected that side more...
>> second dog picked up more and more of the mobility chores as my eyes got
>> worse... and the cats...
>>
>> Violette was ferrell and rarely showed herself during the day but at
>> night when she came out she would sit in front of DH to get his
>> attention, to get mine she would come up to me and put one tiny velvet
>> paw on me to say i want...
>>
>> all of them have learned that when they want a pick up and cuddle they
>> can put their front paws on my leg and i will stop what i am doing and
>> pick them up.
>>
>> if i am walking through the house and they are in the floor they meow,
>> grunt or grumble to let me know they are on the floor and to not step on
>> them... they stay silent if DH takes the same route.
>>
>> it also has lead to some interesting ******* cat tricks but this post is
>> already too long to list those,
>>
>> Lee

Christina Websell
July 14th 09, 06:25 PM
LOL! But they always do get up, don't they?
We just got some fancy phones at work, they are fantastic but they have a
tiny screen to use and the screen is a beige colour with slightly darker
beige words on it to tell you what to do.
That is useless to me. I had to put my nose on it to follow the
instructions. My manager brought it to the attention of the powers that be,
and a person came out the next day and recommended that they bought me a
software package that would appear on my computer screen to allow me to use
all the functions on the phone.
So I waited. Since March. Today I got fed up and called to see when I'd
have it.
They'd forgotten all about it.
I went ape****.
I will, apparently, now, soon, have the software or a phone with a screen I
can read.
They are obliged to provide me with it and they know it. They also know
that "forgetting" that a disabled employee asked for help would get them
into serious s88t with the government under the Disability Discrimination
Act.

Stormmee
July 14th 09, 06:31 PM
kassie my second dog did pretty much without fail... Spanky the first one
would wait to see if i were serious, when my foot touched him he would groan
and if possible roll over out of the way, if i said mov it, he knew i meant
it and he moved,

that "i forgot" gets old really quick... and then if you try and be paitent
thinking its just taking time you do get forgotten, but if you had asked
once every week or two then you would have been "pushy",

Lee
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message
> LOL! But they always do get up, don't they?
> We just got some fancy phones at work, they are fantastic but they have a
> tiny screen to use and the screen is a beige colour with slightly darker
> beige words on it to tell you what to do.
> That is useless to me. I had to put my nose on it to follow the
> instructions. My manager brought it to the attention of the powers that
> be,
> and a person came out the next day and recommended that they bought me a
> software package that would appear on my computer screen to allow me to
> use
> all the functions on the phone.
> So I waited. Since March. Today I got fed up and called to see when I'd
> have it.
> They'd forgotten all about it.
> I went ape****.
> I will, apparently, now, soon, have the software or a phone with a screen
> can read.
> They are obliged to provide me with it and they know it. They also know
> that "forgetting" that a disabled employee asked for help would get them
> into serious s88t with the government under the Disability Discrimination
> Act.

Christina Websell
July 14th 09, 07:55 PM
"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> kassie my second dog did pretty much without fail... Spanky the first one
> would wait to see if i were serious, when my foot touched him he would
> groan and if possible roll over out of the way, if i said mov it, he knew
> i meant it and he moved,
>
> that "i forgot" gets old really quick... and then if you try and be
> paitent thinking its just taking time you do get forgotten, but if you had
> asked once every week or two then you would have been "pushy",

It's difficult for me, as my colleagues do not seem to understand visual
disability. Why would they, though, if they've never experienced it
themselves?

Jofirey
July 14th 09, 09:10 PM
"Christina Websell" > wrote in
message ...

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> kassie my second dog did pretty much without fail... Spanky the
>> first one would wait to see if i were serious, when my foot
>> touched him he would groan and if possible roll over out of the
>> way, if i said mov it, he knew i meant it and he moved,
>>
>> that "i forgot" gets old really quick... and then if you try and
>> be paitent thinking its just taking time you do get forgotten,
>> but if you had asked once every week or two then you would have
>> been "pushy",
>>

> It's difficult for me, as my colleagues do not seem to understand
> visual disability. Why would they, though, if they've never
> experienced it themselves?

Some people are just far more empathetic than others. I've been
quite surprised at the number of people who have been genuinely
helpful to me both with my hearing problems and with mobility issues
I have.

Darn near makes up for some of the days I don't go out, or else come
back sooner than I intended because if I have to say one more time,
"I'm sorry, I'm deaf, I can't understand what you are saying...."
(For the most part I've found that is the most useful thing to say)

That's not anyone's fault. Not mine or anyone else's. Just gets
really old some days. For some reason I guess when I'm in the store
I look more helpful than I feel. Complete strangers will ask me
questions, and it tends to embarrass both of us when I can't
understand them.

Jo

Christina Websell
July 14th 09, 11:02 PM
"Jofirey" > wrote in message

> "Christina Websell" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>> kassie my second dog did pretty much without fail... Spanky the first
>>> one would wait to see if i were serious, when my foot touched him he
>>> would groan and if possible roll over out of the way, if i said mov it,
>>> he knew i meant it and he moved,
>>>
>>> that "i forgot" gets old really quick... and then if you try and be
>>> paitent thinking its just taking time you do get forgotten, but if you
>>> had asked once every week or two then you would have been "pushy",
>>>

>> It's difficult for me, as my colleagues do not seem to understand visual
>> disability. Why would they, though, if they've never experienced it
>> themselves?
>
> Some people are just far more empathetic than others. I've been quite
> surprised at the number of people who have been genuinely helpful to me
> both with my hearing problems and with mobility issues I have.
>
> Darn near makes up for some of the days I don't go out, or else come back
> sooner than I intended because if I have to say one more time, "I'm sorry,
> I'm deaf, I can't understand what you are saying...."
> (For the most part I've found that is the most useful thing to say)
>
> That's not anyone's fault. Not mine or anyone else's. Just gets really
> old some days. For some reason I guess when I'm in the store I look more
> helpful than I feel. Complete strangers will ask me questions, and it
> tends to embarrass both of us when I can't understand them.

Yes. You look "normal" so do I. You cannot hear and I cannot see. It's a
nuisance, isn't it?
We should wear a badge.

Tweed

Stormmmee
July 14th 09, 11:26 PM
most embarrasing to me is "oh, but you don't LOOK blind", Lee
"Jofirey" > wrote in message

> "Christina Websell" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>> kassie my second dog did pretty much without fail... Spanky the first
>>> one would wait to see if i were serious, when my foot touched him he
>>> would groan and if possible roll over out of the way, if i said mov it,
>>> he knew i meant it and he moved,
>>>
>>> that "i forgot" gets old really quick... and then if you try and be
>>> paitent thinking its just taking time you do get forgotten, but if you
>>> had asked once every week or two then you would have been "pushy",
>>>

>> It's difficult for me, as my colleagues do not seem to understand visual
>> disability. Why would they, though, if they've never experienced it
>> themselves?
>
> Some people are just far more empathetic than others. I've been quite
> surprised at the number of people who have been genuinely helpful to me
> both with my hearing problems and with mobility issues I have.
>
> Darn near makes up for some of the days I don't go out, or else come back
> sooner than I intended because if I have to say one more time, "I'm sorry,
> I'm deaf, I can't understand what you are saying...."
> (For the most part I've found that is the most useful thing to say)
>
> That's not anyone's fault. Not mine or anyone else's. Just gets really
> old some days. For some reason I guess when I'm in the store I look more
> helpful than I feel. Complete strangers will ask me questions, and it
> tends to embarrass both of us when I can't understand them.
>
> Jo

Jofirey
July 15th 09, 12:48 AM
"Stormmmee" > wrote in message
> most embarrasing to me is "oh, but you don't LOOK blind", Lee

For what it's worth, most people know just how stupid that sounds as
soon and its out of their mouth.

Another advantage of deaf, you either don't hear or can ignore
things like that.

I don't understand why, it shouldn't be embarrassing to you, only to
them. But unfortunately that isn't how it works out.

And some days it just gets so exhausting.

Jo

Christina Websell
July 15th 09, 07:27 PM
"Jofirey" > wrote in message

> "Stormmmee" > wrote in message
>> most embarrasing to me is "oh, but you don't LOOK blind", Lee
>
> For what it's worth, most people know just how stupid that sounds as soon
> and its out of their mouth.
>
> Another advantage of deaf, you either don't hear or can ignore things like
> that.
>
> I don't understand why, it shouldn't be embarrassing to you, only to them.
> But unfortunately that isn't how it works out.
>
> And some days it just gets so exhausting.

I was asked only yesterday why I did not take a turn to cover a colleagues
leave by someone who felt hard done to at having do it. It needs good sight
to do it.
I said I was excused. She wanted to know why, so I explained that I have a
visual impairment. She said "Oh.." but I heard her mutter when I was going
out of the door "you look ok to me.."
That's the difficulty. I don't look like I can't see properly.

Tweed

Stormmmee
July 15th 09, 07:41 PM
you do bring up the fact that there is always a very short list of things
that are positive about a particular disability.

it is embarrasing because i always wonder if the people i am forced to deal
with are really that stupid... and because i posess more than a bit of a
paranoid tendency... what about the people who don't say this... are they
smarter or do i "Look blind" to them, not that it should matter like i said
i am a bit paranoid. Lee
"Jofirey" > wrote in message

> "Stormmmee" > wrote in message
>> most embarrasing to me is "oh, but you don't LOOK blind", Lee
>
> For what it's worth, most people know just how stupid that sounds as soon
> and its out of their mouth.
>
> Another advantage of deaf, you either don't hear or can ignore things like
> that.
>
> I don't understand why, it shouldn't be embarrassing to you, only to them.
> But unfortunately that isn't how it works out.
>
> And some days it just gets so exhausting.
>
> Jo

Stormmmee
July 15th 09, 07:57 PM
but the first time you bump into something in front of her either she will
mutter about you faking it or she will become so condecending you will just
want to smack her, Lee
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message

> "Jofirey" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Stormmmee" > wrote in message
>>> most embarrasing to me is "oh, but you don't LOOK blind", Lee
>>
>> For what it's worth, most people know just how stupid that sounds as soon
>> and its out of their mouth.
>>
>> Another advantage of deaf, you either don't hear or can ignore things
>> like that.
>>
>> I don't understand why, it shouldn't be embarrassing to you, only to
>> them. But unfortunately that isn't how it works out.
>>
>> And some days it just gets so exhausting.
>>

> I was asked only yesterday why I did not take a turn to cover a colleagues
> leave by someone who felt hard done to at having do it. It needs good
> sight to do it.
> I said I was excused. She wanted to know why, so I explained that I have
> a visual impairment. She said "Oh.." but I heard her mutter when I was
> going out of the door "you look ok to me.."
> That's the difficulty. I don't look like I can't see properly.
>
> Tweed

Phoenix
July 15th 09, 08:22 PM
Christina Websell wrote:
> She said "Oh.." but I heard her mutter when I was going
> out of the door "you look ok to me.."
> That's the difficulty. I don't look like I can't see properly.

And here's what confuses me: how, exactly, is "can't see
properly" SUPPOSED to look? I mean, Little Bit looks like a
perfectly normal cat...until you notice that she doesn't respond
to visual stimulus, or you notice that her pupils never change
size. Are you supposed to have dark glasses on, or squidged up
eyeballs, or....what? Wear a giant sign? Yeesh.

The worst of my own disabilities are the "invisible" ones, the
fatigue and pain. The limp and the curved spine are obvious but
often, they aren't the main problems.

One day, each and every person will become disabled in some way,
unless they die early. I wish people would think it through and
be more, I dunno, empathic or something. Jo's right. It gets
awfully tiring explaining it over and over again.

--
Deborah
slave to the magnificent seven

Jofirey
July 15th 09, 09:44 PM
"Stormmmee" > wrote in message
> you do bring up the fact that there is always a very short list of
> things that are positive about a particular disability.
>
> it is embarrasing because i always wonder if the people i am
> forced to deal with are really that stupid... and because i posess
> more than a bit of a paranoid tendency... what about the people
> who don't say this... are they smarter or do i "Look blind" to
> them, not that it should matter like i said i am a bit paranoid.
> Lee

As the saying goes, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they
aren't out to get me.

Anyone who for whatever reason doesn't know exactly what is going on
around them is going to be at least a little bit paranoid.

Jo

Stormmmee
July 15th 09, 09:47 PM
most people think you should have those things called "blindisms" think
stevie wonder the way he shakes his head, there is also rocking when
sitting, the glasses, shifting from foot to foot, sitting with your fingers
in your face. there are a host of others, but my mother prevented any
tendency to these, and tweed was an adult before her eye issues... if people
would think the disability issue to the logical conclusion, which is as you
state, everyone will end up with one... death being the ultimate
diasability... it scares them shtless so they never think about it... and
even when they do they don't for long... I am just grateful the critters
only torture me a bit, and they at least like me enough to come and put
those paws on me to gets pets, Lee
"Phoenix" > wrote in message
> Christina Websell wrote:
>> She said "Oh.." but I heard her mutter when I was going out of the door
>> "you look ok to me.."
>> That's the difficulty. I don't look like I can't see properly.
>
> And here's what confuses me: how, exactly, is "can't see properly"
> SUPPOSED to look? I mean, Little Bit looks like a perfectly normal
> cat...until you notice that she doesn't respond to visual stimulus, or you
> notice that her pupils never change size. Are you supposed to have dark
> glasses on, or squidged up eyeballs, or....what? Wear a giant sign? Yeesh.
>
> The worst of my own disabilities are the "invisible" ones, the fatigue and
> pain. The limp and the curved spine are obvious but often, they aren't the
> main problems.
>
> One day, each and every person will become disabled in some way, unless
> they die early. I wish people would think it through and be more, I dunno,
> empathic or something. Jo's right. It gets awfully tiring explaining it
> over and over again.
>
> --
> Deborah
> slave to the magnificent seven

Stormmmee
July 15th 09, 09:51 PM
lol, you are so right, Lee,,, and the cats don't help with the occasional
******* cat trick...
"Jofirey" > wrote in message

> "Stormmmee" > wrote in message
>> you do bring up the fact that there is always a very short list of things
>> that are positive about a particular disability.
>>
>> it is embarrasing because i always wonder if the people i am forced to
>> deal with are really that stupid... and because i posess more than a bit
>> of a paranoid tendency... what about the people who don't say this... are
>> they smarter or do i "Look blind" to them, not that it should matter like
>> i said i am a bit paranoid. Lee
>
> As the saying goes, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out
> to get me.
>
> Anyone who for whatever reason doesn't know exactly what is going on
> around them is going to be at least a little bit paranoid.
>
> Jo

Stormmee
July 16th 09, 01:27 PM
i was thinking if i wear a badge or t shirt it will say:

I'm perfect, YOU are NOT, come back when you are and i might speak to you,

Lee
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message

> "Jofirey" > wrote in message

>>> It's difficult for me, as my colleagues do not seem to understand visual
>>> disability. Why would they, though, if they've never experienced it
>>> themselves?
>>
>> Some people are just far more empathetic than others. I've been quite
>> surprised at the number of people who have been genuinely helpful to me
>> both with my hearing problems and with mobility issues I have.
>>
>> Darn near makes up for some of the days I don't go out, or else come back
>> sooner than I intended because if I have to say one more time, "I'm
>> sorry, I'm deaf, I can't understand what you are saying...."
>> (For the most part I've found that is the most useful thing to say)
>>
>> That's not anyone's fault. Not mine or anyone else's. Just gets really
>> old some days. For some reason I guess when I'm in the store I look more
>> helpful than I feel. Complete strangers will ask me questions, and it
>> tends to embarrass both of us when I can't understand them.
>>
> Yes. You look "normal" so do I. You cannot hear and I cannot see. It's
> a nuisance, isn't it?
> We should wear a badge.
>
> Tweed

Stormmee
July 16th 09, 01:28 PM
a thought that i know because this is your workplace and you can't say
this,... but my impluse would b e to say... remember its my eyes that are
limited NOT my ears, Lee
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message

> "Jofirey" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Stormmmee" > wrote in message
>>> most embarrasing to me is "oh, but you don't LOOK blind", Lee
>>
>> For what it's worth, most people know just how stupid that sounds as soon
>> and its out of their mouth.
>>
>> Another advantage of deaf, you either don't hear or can ignore things
>> like that.
>>
>> I don't understand why, it shouldn't be embarrassing to you, only to
>> them. But unfortunately that isn't how it works out.
>>
>> And some days it just gets so exhausting.
>>

> I was asked only yesterday why I did not take a turn to cover a colleagues
> leave by someone who felt hard done to at having do it. It needs good
> sight to do it.
> I said I was excused. She wanted to know why, so I explained that I have
> a visual impairment. She said "Oh.." but I heard her mutter when I was
> going out of the door "you look ok to me.."
> That's the difficulty. I don't look like I can't see properly.
>
> Tweed

Jofirey
July 16th 09, 03:47 PM
"Stormmee" > wrote in message
>i was thinking if i wear a badge or t shirt it will say:
>
> I'm perfect, YOU are NOT, come back when you are and i might speak
> to you,

Now see, that is just right. Not hostile, only true!

Jo

Stormmee
July 16th 09, 03:54 PM
another one i have considered it would say: G*D made me this way, what's
your excuse, Lee
"Jofirey" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>i was thinking if i wear a badge or t shirt it will say:
>>
>> I'm perfect, YOU are NOT, come back when you are and i might speak to
>> you,
>>

> Now see, that is just right. Not hostile, only true!
>
> Jo

Granby
July 16th 09, 06:08 PM
I'm back, do you need some help? Ducking for cover.
"Stormmee" > wrote in message
>i was thinking if i wear a badge or t shirt it will say:
>
> I'm perfect, YOU are NOT, come back when you are and i might speak to you,
>
> Lee
> "Christina Websell" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Jofirey" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Christina Websell" > wrote in
>>> message ...

>>> Some people are just far more empathetic than others. I've been quite
>>> surprised at the number of people who have been genuinely helpful to me
>>> both with my hearing problems and with mobility issues I have.
>>>
>>> Darn near makes up for some of the days I don't go out, or else come
>>> back sooner than I intended because if I have to say one more time, "I'm
>>> sorry, I'm deaf, I can't understand what you are saying...."
>>> (For the most part I've found that is the most useful thing to say)
>>>
>>> That's not anyone's fault. Not mine or anyone else's. Just gets really
>>> old some days. For some reason I guess when I'm in the store I look
>>> more helpful than I feel. Complete strangers will ask me questions, and
>>> it tends to embarrass both of us when I can't understand them.
>>>
>> Yes. You look "normal" so do I. You cannot hear and I cannot see. It's
>> a nuisance, isn't it?
>> We should wear a badge.
>>
>> Tweed

Stormmee
July 16th 09, 06:13 PM
"Granby" > wrote in message
> I'm back, do you need some help? Ducking for cover.
> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>i was thinking if i wear a badge or t shirt it will say:
>>
>> I'm perfect, YOU are NOT, come back when you are and i might speak to
>> you,
>>
>> Lee

>>> Yes. You look "normal" so do I. You cannot hear and I cannot see.
>>> It's
>>> a nuisance, isn't it?
>>> We should wear a badge.
>>>
>>> Tweed

Stormmee
July 16th 09, 06:14 PM
xxxx the cats helped, LOL,
"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> "Granby" > wrote in message
>> I'm back, do you need some help? Ducking for cover.
>> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>>i was thinking if i wear a badge or t shirt it will say:
>>>
>>> I'm perfect, YOU are NOT, come back when you are and i might speak to
>>> you,
>>>
>>> Lee
>>> "Christina Websell" > wrote in
>>> message

Christina Websell
July 16th 09, 08:00 PM
Oh, it just makes me annoyed, Lee.
I am not blind in the true sense of the word but I do have a significant
visual impairment enough to have special equipment.
One of my colleagues said a few weeks ago when I admitted I could not tell
if she had a dress on, or a skirt and top "Why do you keep talking about
your sight problem?
I managed to control myself.

Tweed

Stormmee
July 16th 09, 08:34 PM
another pita, if you don't "admit" or discuss then you are hiding it if you
do you are wining, no pleasing those who don't get it. Lee
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message
> Oh, it just makes me annoyed, Lee.
> I am not blind in the true sense of the word but I do have a significant
> visual impairment enough to have special equipment.
> One of my colleagues said a few weeks ago when I admitted I could not tell
> if she had a dress on, or a skirt and top "Why do you keep talking about
> your sight problem?
> I managed to control myself.
>
> Tweed

Granby
July 16th 09, 09:36 PM
You do realize that Blindness is the one thing more people are afraid of
than anything else? The reason being that 9 out of 10 will experience some
form of it as age advances. I have a couple of girls I grew up with that
tormented me to death and now, neither can no longer drive and such. They
have told me a dozen times that they were sorry they did as they had no idea
what I was going through.
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message
> Oh, it just makes me annoyed, Lee.
> I am not blind in the true sense of the word but I do have a significant
> visual impairment enough to have special equipment.
> One of my colleagues said a few weeks ago when I admitted I could not tell
> if she had a dress on, or a skirt and top "Why do you keep talking about
> your sight problem?
> I managed to control myself.
>
> Tweed

Christina Websell
July 20th 09, 06:28 PM
We have a team "away day" soon, we are invited to raise questions and I will
raise disability awareness.
I am the only person in the team who has a disability.

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> another pita, if you don't "admit" or discuss then you are hiding it if
> you do you are wining, no pleasing those who don't get it. Lee
> "Christina Websell" > wrote in message
>> Oh, it just makes me annoyed, Lee.
>> I am not blind in the true sense of the word but I do have a significant
>> visual impairment enough to have special equipment.
>> One of my colleagues said a few weeks ago when I admitted I could not
>> tell if she had a dress on, or a skirt and top "Why do you keep talking
>> about your sight problem?
>> I managed to control myself.
>>
>> Tweed

Christina Websell
July 20th 09, 08:07 PM
"hopitus" > wrote in message
Some people *enjoy* their disabilities. You and Lee don't, and I just
ignore mine,
easy to do between DMV renewals, LOL, but my BIL in San Francisco had
his
license revoked not because he can't *see* but because he has
Alzheimer's and
always think he is going to the airport there, but forgets how to get
there. It is
fairly obvious to all of us that he enjoys his sons being called by
the CHP to come
pick him up and the resulting car impoundment. Keeps my nephews on
their toes
as he can't be left alone for too long. I would call Alzheimers a
disability, wouldn't you?

--------------
Yes.

Tweed

Stormmee
July 21st 09, 01:10 AM
it is not only a disability for the person but the family as well. and no i
don't enjoy my blindness, but i refuse to wine about it, i can and will
discuss issues, but in reality these are facts of my life like my gender,
weight or the fact that i love poptarts and DH and gramby say they are an
abomination... i have to live my life and blindness affects certain aspects
of it, but i have none to blame and dispise anyone to feel sorry for it, as
my grandmother said to me once, if bad vision was good enough for an apostle
who still did his work its good enough for you, get on with life, Lee
"hopitus" > wrote in message
On Jul 16, 2:36 pm, "Granby" > wrote:
> You do realize that Blindness is the one thing more people are afraid of
> than anything else? The reason being that 9 out of 10 will experience some
> form of it as age advances. I have a couple of girls I grew up with that
> tormented me to death and now, neither can no longer drive and such. They
> have told me a dozen times that they were sorry they did as they had no
> idea
> what I was going through."Christina Websell"
> > wrote in message

> > Oh, it just makes me annoyed, Lee.
> > I am not blind in the true sense of the word but I do have a significant
> > visual impairment enough to have special equipment.
> > One of my colleagues said a few weeks ago when I admitted I could not
> > tell
> > if she had a dress on, or a skirt and top "Why do you keep talking about
> > your sight problem?
> > I managed to control myself.
>
> > Tweed

Some people *enjoy* their disabilities. You and Lee don't, and I just
ignore mine,
easy to do between DMV renewals, LOL, but my BIL in San Francisco had
his
license revoked not because he can't *see* but because he has
Alzheimer's and
always think he is going to the airport there, but forgets how to get
there. It is
fairly obvious to all of us that he enjoys his sons being called by
the CHP to come
pick him up and the resulting car impoundment. Keeps my nephews on
their toes
as he can't be left alone for too long. I would call Alzheimers a
disability, wouldn't you?

Granby
July 21st 09, 01:43 AM
Of the worst kind. Blindness, deafness, limbs missing, you can figure ways
to continue to do what you have to do. This Alzheimer's steals it all
eventually. Have had a few friends get it and know of some of my teachers
that did. Sure hope they figure it out before too long.
"hopitus" > wrote in message
On Jul 16, 2:36 pm, "Granby" > wrote:
> You do realize that Blindness is the one thing more people are afraid of
> than anything else? The reason being that 9 out of 10 will experience some
> form of it as age advances. I have a couple of girls I grew up with that
> tormented me to death and now, neither can no longer drive and such. They
> have told me a dozen times that they were sorry they did as they had no
> idea
> what I was going through."Christina Websell"
> > wrote in message

> > Oh, it just makes me annoyed, Lee.
> > I am not blind in the true sense of the word but I do have a significant
> > visual impairment enough to have special equipment.
> > One of my colleagues said a few weeks ago when I admitted I could not
> > tell
> > if she had a dress on, or a skirt and top "Why do you keep talking about
> > your sight problem?
> > I managed to control myself.
>
> > Tweed

Some people *enjoy* their disabilities. You and Lee don't, and I just
ignore mine,
easy to do between DMV renewals, LOL, but my BIL in San Francisco had
his
license revoked not because he can't *see* but because he has
Alzheimer's and
always think he is going to the airport there, but forgets how to get
there. It is
fairly obvious to all of us that he enjoys his sons being called by
the CHP to come
pick him up and the resulting car impoundment. Keeps my nephews on
their toes
as he can't be left alone for too long. I would call Alzheimers a
disability, wouldn't you?

Granby
July 21st 09, 01:48 AM
My Grandmother wasn't so poetic about it. She said, "**** happens, stand up
in it or drown, it is up to you". That was looooong before Forest Gump made
the saying famous.