PDA

View Full Version : Laku's brush

Christine BA
July 11th 09, 07:34 AM
There has been talk of all kinds of brushes here, Zoom Grooms,
Furminators etc. Laku has a very simple but yet effective brush, and it
wasn't expensive either, just 2,50 Euros (about 3.50 USD). I seem to
recall that those fancy ones cost along the lines of 30-50 Euros...
Well anyway, I've been brushing Laku for a few days straight now, as
he's had a bit of a hairball problem lately, we've been finding them
here and there a few days. But now that I've brushed him it's been much
better, no hairballs anymore, as the loose hair comes off on the brush
and not into his tummy. Laku even comes to the toilet with me and jumps
up on the lid of the "throne" after I'm done using it to demand his
brushins... :)

I snapped a pic of the brush together with today's "harvest" of fur,
complete with a measuring tape running along to give you a sense of
scale (been wathing too much CSI or something...). I hope the link works.

http://family.webshots.com/photo/2402246090065970501CGgfwI

The bristles are very dense and they are metal. I do protect Laku's ears
when I brush and take care not to scratch him sideways as it might hurt,
but he's always purring his butt off as he's being brushed so I'm sure
I'm not hurting him.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

MaryL
July 11th 09, 08:13 AM
"Christine BA" > wrote in message
> There has been talk of all kinds of brushes here, Zoom Grooms, Furminators
> etc. Laku has a very simple but yet effective brush, and it wasn't
> expensive either, just 2,50 Euros (about 3.50 USD). I seem to recall that
> those fancy ones cost along the lines of 30-50 Euros...
> Well anyway, I've been brushing Laku for a few days straight now, as he's
> had a bit of a hairball problem lately, we've been finding them here and
> there a few days. But now that I've brushed him it's been much better, no
> hairballs anymore, as the loose hair comes off on the brush and not into
> his tummy. Laku even comes to the toilet with me and jumps up on the lid
> of the "throne" after I'm done using it to demand his brushins... :)
>
> I snapped a pic of the brush together with today's "harvest" of fur,
> complete with a measuring tape running along to give you a sense of scale
> (been wathing too much CSI or something...). I hope the link works.
>
> http://family.webshots.com/photo/2402246090065970501CGgfwI
>
> The bristles are very dense and they are metal. I do protect Laku's ears
> when I brush and take care not to scratch him sideways as it might hurt,
> but he's always purring his butt off as he's being brushed so I'm sure I'm
> not hurting him.
>
> --
> Christine in Finland
> christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

This looks like what is called a "slicker" brush in the U.S. They come in a
variety of sizes. I was never successful with them, but many people like
them for their cats.

MaryL

Marina
July 11th 09, 12:50 PM
Christine BA wrote:
> There has been talk of all kinds of brushes here, Zoom Grooms,
> Furminators etc. Laku has a very simple but yet effective brush, and it
> wasn't expensive either, just 2,50 Euros (about 3.50 USD). I seem to
> recall that those fancy ones cost along the lines of 30-50 Euros...
> Well anyway, I've been brushing Laku for a few days straight now, as
> he's had a bit of a hairball problem lately, we've been finding them
> here and there a few days. But now that I've brushed him it's been much
> better, no hairballs anymore, as the loose hair comes off on the brush
> and not into his tummy. Laku even comes to the toilet with me and jumps
> up on the lid of the "throne" after I'm done using it to demand his
> brushins... :)
>
> I snapped a pic of the brush together with today's "harvest" of fur,
> complete with a measuring tape running along to give you a sense of
> scale (been wathing too much CSI or something...). I hope the link works.
>
> http://family.webshots.com/photo/2402246090065970501CGgfwI
>
> The bristles are very dense and they are metal. I do protect Laku's ears
> when I brush and take care not to scratch him sideways as it might hurt,
> but he's always purring his butt off as he's being brushed so I'm sure
> I'm not hurting him.

I have a brush like that. Frank used to like it, but neither of my
current two like to be brushed at all. (I expect that's centimetres and
not inches on the measuring tape!)

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Christine BA
July 11th 09, 01:16 PM
Marina kirjoitti:
> Christine BA wrote:
>> There has been talk of all kinds of brushes here, Zoom Grooms,
>> Furminators etc. Laku has a very simple but yet effective brush, and
>> it wasn't expensive either, just 2,50 Euros (about 3.50 USD). I seem
>> to recall that those fancy ones cost along the lines of 30-50 Euros...
>> Well anyway, I've been brushing Laku for a few days straight now, as
>> he's had a bit of a hairball problem lately, we've been finding them
>> here and there a few days. But now that I've brushed him it's been
>> much better, no hairballs anymore, as the loose hair comes off on the
>> brush and not into his tummy. Laku even comes to the toilet with me
>> and jumps up on the lid of the "throne" after I'm done using it to
>> demand his brushins... :)
>>
>> I snapped a pic of the brush together with today's "harvest" of fur,
>> complete with a measuring tape running along to give you a sense of
>> scale (been wathing too much CSI or something...). I hope the link works.
>>
>> http://family.webshots.com/photo/2402246090065970501CGgfwI
>>
>> The bristles are very dense and they are metal. I do protect Laku's
>> ears when I brush and take care not to scratch him sideways as it
>> might hurt, but he's always purring his butt off as he's being brushed
>> so I'm sure I'm not hurting him.
>>

> I have a brush like that. Frank used to like it, but neither of my
> current two like to be brushed at all. (I expect that's centimetres and
> not inches on the measuring tape!)

Yes, it's centimetres on the measuring tape, I'm not into inches and
don't have a measuring tape showing inches... :)

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

---MIKE---
July 11th 09, 01:27 PM
I use the "Love Glove" on Amber and she loves it. Tiger prefers the
Zoom Groom.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

MatSav
July 11th 09, 02:53 PM
"Christine BA" > wrote in message
> There has been talk of all kinds of brushes here, Zoom Grooms,
> Furminators etc. Laku has a very simple but yet effective
> brush, and it wasn't expensive either, just 2,50 Euros (about
> 3.50 USD). I seem to ... I snapped a pic of the brush together
> with today's "harvest" of fur, complete with a measuring tape
> running along to give you a sense of scale (been wathing too
> much CSI or something...). I hope the link works.
>
> http://family.webshots.com/photo/2402246090065970501CGgfwI
>
> The bristles are very dense and they are metal. I do protect
> Laku's ears when I brush and take care not to scratch him
> sideways as it might hurt, but he's always purring his butt off
> as he's being brushed so I'm sure I'm not hurting him.

Mrs Cat (RB) absolutely hated that type of brush. But Minstrel
(RB) loved it. Some cats obviously prefer agressive grooming.

--
MatSav

Jofirey
July 11th 09, 06:16 PM
"Christine BA" > wrote in message
> There has been talk of all kinds of brushes here, Zoom Grooms,
> Furminators etc. Laku has a very simple but yet effective brush,
> and it wasn't expensive either, just 2,50 Euros (about 3.50 USD).
> I seem to recall that those fancy ones cost along the lines of
> 30-50 Euros...
> Well anyway, I've been brushing Laku for a few days straight now,
> as he's had a bit of a hairball problem lately, we've been finding
> them here and there a few days. But now that I've brushed him it's
> been much better, no hairballs anymore, as the loose hair comes
> off on the brush and not into his tummy. Laku even comes to the
> toilet with me and jumps up on the lid of the "throne" after I'm
> done using it to demand his brushins... :)
>
> I snapped a pic of the brush together with today's "harvest" of
> fur, complete with a measuring tape running along to give you a
> sense of scale (been wathing too much CSI or something...). I hope
> the link works.
>
> http://family.webshots.com/photo/2402246090065970501CGgfwI
>
> The bristles are very dense and they are metal. I do protect
> Laku's ears when I brush and take care not to scratch him sideways
> as it might hurt, but he's always purring his butt off as he's
> being brushed so I'm sure I'm not hurting him.

Ah yes, sometimes referred to as the 'wire brush treatment'. Molly
adores being brushed. So much so that I'm afraid of hurting her or
removing too much fur. And it seems like the 'rougher' the brush
the more she likes it.

Jo

July 11th 09, 10:40 PM
Marina wrote:

> Christine BA wrote:

>> I snapped a pic of the brush together with today's "harvest" of fur,
>> complete with a measuring tape running along to give you a sense of
>> scale (been wathing too much CSI or something...). I hope the link works.
>>
>> http://family.webshots.com/photo/2402246090065970501CGgfwI

> I have a brush like that. Frank used to like it, but neither of my
> current two like to be brushed at all. (I expect that's centimetres and
> not inches on the measuring tape!)

I'm sure it must be centimeters - the multiples of 10 are larger and
printed in red, which tells me that the numbers on the tape are based
on 10s (metric), not on 12s (imperial).

--
Joyce ^..^

July 11th 09, 10:41 PM
---MIKE--- wrote:

> I use the "Love Glove" on Amber and she loves it. Tiger prefers the
> Zoom Groom.

Apparently, cat brushes have to have a name that rhymes? :)

--
Joyce ^..^

Christine BA
July 11th 09, 10:46 PM
kirjoitti:
> Marina wrote:
>
> > Christine BA wrote:
>
> >> I snapped a pic of the brush together with today's "harvest" of fur,
> >> complete with a measuring tape running along to give you a sense of
> >> scale (been wathing too much CSI or something...). I hope the link works.
> >>
> >> http://family.webshots.com/photo/2402246090065970501CGgfwI
>
> > I have a brush like that. Frank used to like it, but neither of my
> > current two like to be brushed at all. (I expect that's centimetres and
> > not inches on the measuring tape!)
>
> I'm sure it must be centimeters - the multiples of 10 are larger and
> printed in red, which tells me that the numbers on the tape are based
> on 10s (metric), not on 12s (imperial).

And we don't do inches, except in jeans sizes... :)

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

Sjouke Burry[_2_]
July 11th 09, 11:09 PM
Christine BA wrote:
> There has been talk of all kinds of brushes here, Zoom Grooms,
> Furminators etc. Laku has a very simple but yet effective brush, and it
> wasn't expensive either, just 2,50 Euros (about 3.50 USD). I seem to
> recall that those fancy ones cost along the lines of 30-50 Euros...
> Well anyway, I've been brushing Laku for a few days straight now, as
> he's had a bit of a hairball problem lately, we've been finding them
> here and there a few days. But now that I've brushed him it's been much
> better, no hairballs anymore, as the loose hair comes off on the brush
> and not into his tummy. Laku even comes to the toilet with me and jumps
> up on the lid of the "throne" after I'm done using it to demand his
> brushins... :)
>
> I snapped a pic of the brush together with today's "harvest" of fur,
> complete with a measuring tape running along to give you a sense of
> scale (been wathing too much CSI or something...). I hope the link works.
>
> http://family.webshots.com/photo/2402246090065970501CGgfwI
>
> The bristles are very dense and they are metal. I do protect Laku's ears
> when I brush and take care not to scratch him sideways as it might hurt,
> but he's always purring his butt off as he's being brushed so I'm sure
> I'm not hurting him.

When are you going to knit a sweater from that??

July 11th 09, 11:10 PM
Christine wrote:

> kirjoitti:

>> Marina wrote:

>>> I have a brush like that. Frank used to like it, but neither of my
>>> current two like to be brushed at all. (I expect that's centimetres and
>>> not inches on the measuring tape!)

>> I'm sure it must be centimeters - the multiples of 10 are larger and
>> printed in red, which tells me that the numbers on the tape are based
>> on 10s (metric), not on 12s (imperial).

> And we don't do inches, except in jeans sizes... :)

Yeah, I thought about saying that (that Finland uses metric), but
I figured Marina knew that already. :)

--
Joyce ^..^

Christine BA
July 12th 09, 12:05 AM
Sjouke Burry kirjoitti:

> When are you going to knit a sweater from that??

I should store it and make yarn from it, but it might take a good while
before I'd have enough for a sweater... :)

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

Marina
July 12th 09, 03:31 AM
wrote:
> Christine wrote:
>
> > kirjoitti:

> >> I'm sure it must be centimeters - the multiples of 10 are larger and
> >> printed in red, which tells me that the numbers on the tape are based
> >> on 10s (metric), not on 12s (imperial).
>
> > And we don't do inches, except in jeans sizes... :)
>
> Yeah, I thought about saying that (that Finland uses metric), but
> I figured Marina knew that already. :)

Yes, it was just an aside to our metrically impaired friends. :) So they
wouldn't think we have huge cats and brushing implements. If I recall
correctly, though, that brush was sold as a dog brush. No matter, Frank
liked it.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

William Hamblen[_2_]
July 12th 09, 07:13 AM
On 11 Jul 2009 21:40:41 GMT, wrote:

>Marina wrote:
>
> > Christine BA wrote:
>
> >> I snapped a pic of the brush together with today's "harvest" of fur,
> >> complete with a measuring tape running along to give you a sense of
> >> scale (been wathing too much CSI or something...). I hope the link works.
> >>
> >> http://family.webshots.com/photo/2402246090065970501CGgfwI
>
> > I have a brush like that. Frank used to like it, but neither of my
> > current two like to be brushed at all. (I expect that's centimetres and
> > not inches on the measuring tape!)
>
>I'm sure it must be centimeters - the multiples of 10 are larger and
>printed in red, which tells me that the numbers on the tape are based
>on 10s (metric), not on 12s (imperial).

Especially because the tape is marked as a 5 meter tape.

Bud

Adrian[_2_]
July 12th 09, 12:18 PM
wrote:
> Marina wrote:
>
>> Christine BA wrote:
>
>>> I snapped a pic of the brush together with today's "harvest" of fur,
>>> complete with a measuring tape running along to give you a sense of
>>> scale (been wathing too much CSI or something...). I hope the link
>>> works.
>>>
>>> http://family.webshots.com/photo/2402246090065970501CGgfwI
>
>> I have a brush like that. Frank used to like it, but neither of my
>> current two like to be brushed at all. (I expect that's centimetres
>> and not inches on the measuring tape!)
>
> I'm sure it must be centimeters - the multiples of 10 are larger and
> printed in red, which tells me that the numbers on the tape are based
> on 10s (metric), not on 12s (imperial).

I think Britain and USA are the only two countries left that don't use the
metric system.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Christina Websell
July 12th 09, 05:14 PM
"Marina" > wrote in message
> wrote:
>> Christine wrote:

>> and >>> not inches on the measuring tape!)
>>
>> > And we don't do inches, except in jeans sizes... :)
>>
>> Yeah, I thought about saying that (that Finland uses metric), but
>> I figured Marina knew that already. :)
>>

> Yes, it was just an aside to our metrically impaired friends. :) So they
> wouldn't think we have huge cats and brushing implements. If I recall
> correctly, though, that brush was sold as a dog brush. No matter, Frank
> liked it.
>
> --

I'm very metrically impaired! I was brought up on the imperial system and
if someone says 45 cm I cannot visualise what that looks like, whereas my
sister in law who is 20 years younger than me will say to me "6 feet? How
big is that?"
I'm just about used to temperatures in C. If it's 20 it's nice and warm, if
it's -2 I know how much ice will be on my chicken drinkers :-)
It's all about visualisation for me. When N told me she was 1.76 or 1.78
metres tall (can't remember exactly) I didn't have a clue until I met her
that she was 5 ft 10.
When I went to buy a Zoom Groom the assistant tried to sell me a slicker
brush instead. I already had one that I'd bought when I had a hairy dog.
It was no good for whippets with their fine short coats and tissue-paper
skin. KFC didn't mind it but Boyfie did. It took a huge leap of faith for
him to let me groom him at all and the metal spikes of the slicker brush was
a step too far. It *is* very effective at getting loose hair out though.
He was very suspicious of the Zoom Groom at first, I was only allowed one
pass of it over his back for a long time. He loves it now, those long
rubber fingers massaging him send him into rolling-on-the-floor ecstasy "do
it more, do it more.."
Plus it gets so much loose hair out you'd be amazed, No hairballs here.

Tweed

MaryL
July 12th 09, 06:38 PM
"Adrian" > wrote in message
om...
> wrote:
>> Marina wrote:

>>> I have a brush like that. Frank used to like it, but neither of my
>>> current two like to be brushed at all. (I expect that's centimetres
>>> and not inches on the measuring tape!)
>>
>> I'm sure it must be centimeters - the multiples of 10 are larger and
>> printed in red, which tells me that the numbers on the tape are based
>> on 10s (metric), not on 12s (imperial).
>
> I think Britain and USA are the only two countries left that don't use the
> metric system.
> --
> Adrian (Owned by Snoopy, Bagheera & Shadow)
> Cats leave pawprints on your heart
> http://community.webshots.com/user/clowderuk

We're "cousins," after all. :)

MaryL