PDA

View Full Version : Chat is moving... or may be gone

jmcquown[_2_]
July 12th 09, 10:06 AM
The man who was maintaining our chat server no longer has time to deal with
it. He's trying to make arrangements for sites to be hosted on a different
server. I'll post new info as it becomes available.

Jill

ScratchMonkey
July 12th 09, 06:37 PM
"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> The man who was maintaining our chat server no longer has time to deal
> with it. He's trying to make arrangements for sites to be hosted on a
> different server. I'll post new info as it becomes available.

Have you considered signing up a channel at freenode?

http://freenode.net/

jmcquown[_2_]
July 13th 09, 07:12 AM
"ScratchMonkey" > wrote in message
.. .
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> The man who was maintaining our chat server no longer has time to deal
>> with it. He's trying to make arrangements for sites to be hosted on a
>> different server. I'll post new info as it becomes available.
>
> Have you considered signing up a channel at freenode?
>
> http://freenode.net/

I will check it out. However, the new server xeon.edigic.com works
perfectly well. And apparently you can still get to it via the web if you
use Firefox and d/l chatzilla.

Just got through chatting with Marina before she heads off to the island
with Mir and Caliban.

Jill

ScratchMonkey
July 13th 09, 08:29 PM
"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> I will check it out. However, the new server xeon.edigic.com works
> perfectly well. And apparently you can still get to it via the web if
> you use Firefox and d/l chatzilla.

Chatzilla is a "standard" IRC client, so should work with any IRC server.
It's what I've been using for years, from back before Firefox when Mozilla
was only available as a "suite" of browser, email, and other stuff in one
big program.

Some readers may be wary of the name of the Chatzilla download page.

http://chatzilla.hacksrus.com/

"HacksRUs" is a legitimate site. Before the Internet became popular,
"hacker" had a totally different connotation, and I was proud to call
myself one. The guy who writes Chatzilla is obviously an old-timer like me
who still uses the word in the old sense, that of someone who loves to play
with programming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_%28programmer_subculture%29