PDA

View Full Version : Princess

BigBoy
July 12th 09, 07:48 PM
My little Princess started taking Tapazole as her thyroid test was
high normal - she started vomiting and not eating very well the other
day. I'm contacting the vet and stopping the Tapazole. Please we
could use a lot of purrs and prayers.

Thank you.

Mommy of Big Boy, Princess, Mr. Boots, Ms. Tigger, Sugar and Spice,
Ms. Blue Belle and Cheddar.

Kyla =^..^=[_2_]
July 12th 09, 08:12 PM
"BigBoy"
> My little Princess started taking Tapazole as her thyroid test was
> high normal - she started vomiting and not eating very well the other
> day. I'm contacting the vet and stopping the Tapazole. Please we
> could use a lot of purrs and prayers.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Mommy of Big Boy, Princess, Mr. Boots, Ms. Tigger, Sugar and Spice,
> Ms. Blue Belle and Cheddar.

Lots of Purrs and prayers lovingly sent from our house to yours. You should
talk to Gandalf, his kitty Kenzie takes Tapazole for a problem she's having,
and ...well..I'll put you in touch with with him.
Poor Princess:(
Love
Kyla and Mosey

Joy
July 12th 09, 10:33 PM
Purrs and prayers are on the way.

--

Joy

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of
masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch. - Leo Dworken

"BigBoy" > wrote in message
> My little Princess started taking Tapazole as her thyroid test was
> high normal - she started vomiting and not eating very well the other
> day. I'm contacting the vet and stopping the Tapazole. Please we
> could use a lot of purrs and prayers.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Mommy of Big Boy, Princess, Mr. Boots, Ms. Tigger, Sugar and Spice,
> Ms. Blue Belle and Cheddar.

Irulan
July 13th 09, 12:49 AM
Tons of purrs and prayers going Princess's way. Hope she recovers quickly.

Lily & her mama

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

Marina
July 13th 09, 02:55 AM
BigBoy wrote:
> My little Princess started taking Tapazole as her thyroid test was
> high normal - she started vomiting and not eating very well the other
> day. I'm contacting the vet and stopping the Tapazole. Please we
> could use a lot of purrs and prayers.

Many purrs on the way for Princess.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Gandalf
July 13th 09, 03:20 AM
On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 11:48:24 -0700 (PDT), BigBoy >
wrote:

>My little Princess started taking Tapazole as her thyroid test was
>high normal - she started vomiting and not eating very well the other
>day. I'm contacting the vet and stopping the Tapazole. Please we
>could use a lot of purrs and prayers.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Mommy of Big Boy, Princess, Mr. Boots, Ms. Tigger, Sugar and Spice,
>Ms. Blue Belle and Cheddar.

Nausea and vomiting are a very, very common side effect of Tapezole.

When Kenzie first got sick in March, she could not tolerate her
Tapezole, and she was throwing up and not eating....sounds familiar.

So what I did was take her off the Tapezole for a week, so she would get
her appetite back.

Then I started her at 1/4 her dose of Tapezole, for about a week. Then,
I increased it to 1/2 her Tapezole dose, for about a week.

Then I increased it to 3/4 for a week, and finally to her full dose of
Tapezole. So it took about a month to get her to her full dose.

Also, it takes a full month on the Tapezole for the thyroid level to
stabilize. My TED told me there was no point in checking it until Kenzie
had been at the full dose for a month.

Kenzie initially lost a LOT of weight, but has been slowly gaining it
back. Since March.

What is Princess's dose of Tapezole? If she is just above the normal
range, her dose should be pretty small, I would think.

Kenzie was initially put at 5mg/day of Tapezole, as her thyroid level
was VERY high.

Now, she's at 3.75mg/day of Tapezole, and is tolerating it fine, as long
as she is able to nibble dry food all day long. And that is what she
does: she just nibbles dry kibble all day long, rather than eating a
bunch at one time.

Kenzie has never liked canned food, and will not eat any of the 'cat
treats' you can buy; such as Pounce, etc.

I neglected to fill her food bowl once, and she started throwing up
again. Her bowl of food wasn't empty when I went to bed, but it was in
the morning, and I found that Kenzie had thrown up during the night.

She had a bad time for several days after that happened, but luckily,
she started eating again.

I also give Kenzie a small amount of sardines as a treat every time I
give her the Tapezole dose, 2x day. So she has at least a little food in
her stomach, with the Tapezole, every time.

If and when Kenzie gains back enough weight, I may have to put her on a
'weight control' food, so she can continue to eat whenever she wants.

Because I only have Kenzie, it makes it very easy to leave food out all
of the time for her. And fortunately, she prefers dry cat food.

I know in multi cat households, this can be much more difficult.

I hope this helps you some with Princess.

You can E-mail me if you wish; my E-mail address is good, and I check it
at least once a day.

Purrs that she feels better, soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ >^..^<

- Robert Heinlein

Ginger-lyn[_2_]
July 13th 09, 08:26 PM
BigBoy wrote:
> My little Princess started taking Tapazole as her thyroid test was
> high normal - she started vomiting and not eating very well the other
> day. I'm contacting the vet and stopping the Tapazole. Please we
> could use a lot of purrs and prayers.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Mommy of Big Boy, Princess, Mr. Boots, Ms. Tigger, Sugar and Spice,
> Ms. Blue Belle and Cheddar.

Purrs for Princess and for you, too. Maybe a lower dose of Tapazole
would work? My Internet is on a very low dose of it, and is doing well.
I hope Dr. Custer can find a solution for you.

Ginger-lyn

bigboy
July 14th 09, 03:45 PM
On Jul 12, 2:48*pm, BigBoy > wrote:
> My little Princess started taking Tapazole as her thyroid test was
> high normal - she started vomiting and not eating very well the other
> day. *I'm contacting the vet and stopping the Tapazole. *Please we
> could use a lot of purrs and prayers.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Mommy of Big Boy, Princess, Mr. Boots, Ms. Tigger, Sugar and Spice,
> Ms. Blue Belle and Cheddar.

Took Princess to the vet yesterday and the vet took blood tests and
her white blood cell count is 2.8 which is almost half of what it
should be. He sent the info to an outside lab for more testing. In
researching Tapazole, I found that one of the more serious side
effects of it is a decrease in white blood cells. Dr. Custer said he
had never experienced this. Has anyone else had this problem or know
of anyone with the problem. I'm very concerned and would appareciate
any and all purrs and prayers.

Princess will be 14 Saturday, July 18.

Thank you so much for your advise and your purrs.

Mommy of Princess
BigBoy, Mr. Boots, Ms. Tigger, Sugar and Spice, Ms. Blue Belle and
Cheddar

Adrian[_2_]
July 14th 09, 04:03 PM
bigboy wrote:
> On Jul 12, 2:48 pm, BigBoy > wrote:
>> My little Princess started taking Tapazole as her thyroid test was
>> high normal - she started vomiting and not eating very well the other
>> day. I'm contacting the vet and stopping the Tapazole. Please we
>> could use a lot of purrs and prayers.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Mommy of Big Boy, Princess, Mr. Boots, Ms. Tigger, Sugar and Spice,
>> Ms. Blue Belle and Cheddar.
>
> Took Princess to the vet yesterday and the vet took blood tests and
> her white blood cell count is 2.8 which is almost half of what it
> should be. He sent the info to an outside lab for more testing. In
> researching Tapazole, I found that one of the more serious side
> effects of it is a decrease in white blood cells. Dr. Custer said he
> had never experienced this. Has anyone else had this problem or know
> of anyone with the problem. I'm very concerned and would appareciate
> any and all purrs and prayers.
>
> Princess will be 14 Saturday, July 18.
>
> Thank you so much for your advise and your purrs.
>
> Mommy of Princess
> BigBoy, Mr. Boots, Ms. Tigger, Sugar and Spice, Ms. Blue Belle and
> Cheddar

More purrs on the way for Princess.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Gandalf
July 15th 09, 12:04 AM
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 07:45:18 -0700 (PDT), bigboy >
wrote:

>On Jul 12, 2:48*pm, BigBoy > wrote:
>> My little Princess started taking Tapazole as her thyroid test was
>> high normal - she started vomiting and not eating very well the other
>> day. *I'm contacting the vet and stopping the Tapazole. *Please we
>> could use a lot of purrs and prayers.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Mommy of Big Boy, Princess, Mr. Boots, Ms. Tigger, Sugar and Spice,
>> Ms. Blue Belle and Cheddar.
>
>Took Princess to the vet yesterday and the vet took blood tests and
>her white blood cell count is 2.8 which is almost half of what it
>should be. He sent the info to an outside lab for more testing. In
>researching Tapazole, I found that one of the more serious side
>effects of it is a decrease in white blood cells. Dr. Custer said he
>had never experienced this. Has anyone else had this problem or know
>of anyone with the problem. I'm very concerned and would appareciate
>any and all purrs and prayers.
>
>Princess will be 14 Saturday, July 18.
>
>Thank you so much for your advise and your purrs.
>
>Mommy of Princess
>BigBoy, Mr. Boots, Ms. Tigger, Sugar and Spice, Ms. Blue Belle and
>Cheddar

I hate to have to say this, but you NEED a new and MUCH BETTER vet.

When Kenzie was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, and put on Tapezole, my
vet warned me that approx. 10% of cats cannot tolerate Tapezole, because
it can attack their bone marrow.

Bone marrow is the tissue/cells inside the larger bones of the body
where ALL blood cells are made, red cells, and the 5 major classes of
white blood cells: lymphocytes, monocytes, polymorphonucleocytes,
eosinophils, and basophils.

This was before Kenzie had received a single dose.

You vet should know this, and should have warned you about it. The fact
that he's 'never experienced it', and 'sent the info to an outside lab
for more testing' tells me he doesn't even KNOW about it.

This is REALLY SCARY: you found the information on the 'net, but your
vet, WHOSE JOB IT IS TO KNOW THE EFFECTS OF THE MEDICATION HE IS
PRESCRIBING, seems completely ignorant of this MAJOR and very
significant, and relatively common, side effect. Wow.

I was warned to check Kenzie's gums 'regularly' to look for them
becoming pale (red blood cell decrease, due to the Tapezole, resulting
in anemia) and warned to check/observe Kenzie for any signs of
infection, which can happen much more easily when their white blood cell
count is depressed due to the Tapezole affecting the bone marrow, and
reducing the white blood count.

I was fortunate: Kenzie did not have any problems with the Tapezole
affecting her bone marrow.

My Kenzie is somewhere between 13 and 14 years old. I got her as an
adult; I'm her third human. I didn't get an accurate age for her, when I
adopted her, more than 10 years ago.

Purrs are on the way for Princess, and for you. I know what you and
Princess are going through :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~ >^..^<

- Robert Heinlein

bigboy
July 27th 09, 08:39 PM
On Jul 13, 3:26*pm, Ginger-lyn > wrote:
> BigBoy wrote:
> > My littlePrincessstarted taking Tapazole as her thyroid test was
> > high normal - she started vomiting and not eating very well the other
> > day. *I'm contacting the vet and stopping the Tapazole. *Please we
> > could use a lot of purrs and prayers.
>
> > Thank you.
>
> > Mommy of Big Boy,Princess, Mr. Boots, Ms. Tigger, Sugar and Spice,
> > Ms. Blue Belle and Cheddar.
>
> Purrs forPrincessand for you, too. *Maybe a lower dose of Tapazole
> would work? *My Internet is on a very low dose of it, and is doing well..
> * I hope Dr. Custer can find a solution for you.
>
> Ginger-lyn

Happy birthday, Ginger-lyn and Julie.

Please let me know if Internet was diagnosed with her thyroid problem
by Drs. Miley and Jenne or whoever and if you were advised that there
may be a side effect of a low white blood count. My Princess started
the Tapazole two months ago and now has a low white blood count.
This
was diagnosed by Dr. Custer.

Thank you very much.