PDA

View Full Version : Too Sad!

CatEyes
July 15th 09, 03:31 PM
It's supposed to be funny, but to see this poor cat, so horribly overweight
that it can't even get up to play, is just too sad to me.

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2009/07/15/funny-pictures-video-big-kitteh-vs-little-kitteh/

Hugs,

CatNipped

Bobble[_6_]
July 16th 09, 12:08 AM
"CatEyes" > wrote in
:

> It's supposed to be funny, but to see this poor cat, so horribly
> overweight that it can't even get up to play, is just too sad to me.
>
> http://icanhascheezburger.com/2009/07/15/funny-pictures-video-big-kitte
> h-vs-little-kitteh/
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

I think that kitten will shave off a bit of weight.

Bobble

MaryL
July 16th 09, 01:19 AM
"CatEyes" > wrote in message
> It's supposed to be funny, but to see this poor cat, so horribly
> overweight that it can't even get up to play, is just too sad to me.
>
> http://icanhascheezburger.com/2009/07/15/funny-pictures-video-big-kitteh-vs-little-kitteh/
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Yes! It's sad, and it's also animal abuse. I wonder what that kitten will
look like in a few years.

MaryL

cl
July 16th 09, 01:24 AM
CatEyes wrote:
> It's supposed to be funny, but to see this poor cat, so horribly overweight
> that it can't even get up to play, is just too sad to me.

Not that sad. I guess you missed the part at 48 seconds where the
"horribly overweight cat that can't even get up to play" stood up,
played with the kitten, and even chased it - slowly perhaps but the cat
still moved after the kitten. As the other poster said I think the
kitten will probably help the older cat lose some weight.

cl

Cheryl[_5_]
July 16th 09, 11:53 AM
cl wrote:
> CatEyes wrote:
>> It's supposed to be funny, but to see this poor cat, so horribly
>> overweight that it can't even get up to play, is just too sad to me.
>>

> Not that sad. I guess you missed the part at 48 seconds where the
> "horribly overweight cat that can't even get up to play" stood up,
> played with the kitten, and even chased it - slowly perhaps but the cat
> still moved after the kitten. As the other poster said I think the
> kitten will probably help the older cat lose some weight.
>
> cl

I thought it was a funny example of how a slower, older and - yes -
fatter cat finally decides to swat that annoying youngster good, so as
to be left in peace - but it doesn't really work, since like all
youngsters, the kitten isn't cowed at all and bounces right back!

Cheryl

Christina Websell
July 20th 09, 05:37 PM
"CatEyes" > wrote in message
> It's supposed to be funny, but to see this poor cat, so horribly
> overweight that it can't even get up to play, is just too sad to me.
>
> http://icanhascheezburger.com/2009/07/15/funny-pictures-video-big-kitteh-vs-little-kitteh/

I tried to get the video to play I couldn't but I have seen other videos
making fun of obese pets. I don't find them funny at all.
I look at it like this: If I choose to have a pet I have implicitly agreed
(morally) that I will look after it to the best of my ability and give it
the best life I can.
Feeding it with treats and stuff to excess so it gets really fat does not
prove that you love it so much, quite the reverse.
I have heard it said that cats can be free fed and will never overeat.
Maybe some can, but that doesn't apply to Boyfriend, he would eat from
morning until night given the chance. He isn't given the chance. He is fed
wet food in the morning, he gets a couple of tablespoons of dry at teatime
now, and more wet before I go to bed (this stops him moaning at my bedroom
door that he is starving at 4 a.m.)
If I fed him according to what he says his appetite is he would be HUGE.
I ignore him if he begs but it's not easy. He gets on the arm of my chair
where I am innocently sitting to watch a TV programme. I ignore him. He
makes a little "mah" noise and puts a foot out to touch my face. I ignore
him.
He waits ten minutes. He is still sitting on the arm of my chair. He puts
his foot out again to touch my face but this time there are claws that prick
my cheek - he thought I hadn't noticed what he said before. I push him off
the arm of the chair and he goes outside in a huff. He thinks I have not
understood what he is trying to say.
I do understand. He is a very greedy cat and I will not let him get obese.

Tweed

July 20th 09, 07:26 PM
On Jul 20, 9:37*am, "Christina Websell"
> wrote:

> I have heard it said that cats can be free fed and will never overeat.

I muist admit the Fabulous Furballs can be free fed. They like
feeding time- there's all the excitement of "What are we getting?" and
they demand I feed them in the morning and the evening but once it;s
in the bowl the ritual is over and they take a couple of mouthfuls
before wandering off to do something else- it's rare they finish their
feed before the next one- through they go back time and time again for
another nibble. Indeed, looking at how much the manufacturers say I
should be feeding them I am guilty of starving them! Oh well I follow
my instincts on this- they are not big cats, they tend to eat less in
summer (house rule is if the bowl is licked clean and they are still
looking at it then they may get a little extra since for some reason
on this occasion they are extra hungry- they don't abuse it maybe once
a week - or if they got sardine "Whiskas", which causes them to
override being full as they love it a little too much but since I
don't want to give them an unvaried diet and too much fish is not good
it's an occasional thing) a little more in winter and my vet says they
are both in peak condition, not at all overweight (Dunzi could gain
another pound but it stays off) and looking fine on their diet

After all why should pet food manufacturers suggest amounts of food
that might be too much for cats? To sell more perhaps

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Dan M
July 20th 09, 07:47 PM
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:26:49 -0700, LMadigan wrote:

> I muist admit the Fabulous Furballs can be free fed. They like feeding
> time- there's all the excitement of "What are we getting?" and they
> demand I feed them in the morning and the evening but once it;s in the
> bowl the ritual is over and they take a couple of mouthfuls before
> wandering off to do something else- it's rare they finish their feed
> before the next one- through they go back time and time again for
> another nibble.

That's how ours are too. I free-fee them kibble and give them soft food
for breakfast. Most mornings they basically just sample the soft food,
but they are interested in it. Maybe it's the ritual that they like so
much.

Harri insists on being picked up and "flown" to the counter for her
breakfast, and Ranger always sits at my feed and whines until I put his
food down. Sammy usually sits under the dining room table until I put his
food down (he eats in the dining room since he's just a timid boy). Sammy
usually chows down, but the other just take a few tastes then wander
away. But try to go through the breakfast ritual late just once...

July 20th 09, 08:02 PM
On Jul 20, 11:47*am, Dan M > wrote:
.. Maybe it's the ritual that they like so
> much.

It could be- cats are creatures who like routines after all. With the
Fabulous Furballs in the morning I get dressed and they come up for
skritchies then I stand up and they both look at the kitchen door and
I say "Who wants brekkies then?" at which point they both run to the
bowl so by the time I reach the kitchen they are both at their dish.
Dunzi will almost inevitably be sitting to one side to let Sarsi eat
first and Sarsi will be sitting right next to the bowl. I then have
to give them another skritchie before getting out their food and
telling them today's offering. If I miss any step of this they look
indignantly at me

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Dan M
July 20th 09, 08:20 PM
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 12:02:20 -0700, LMadigan wrote:

> It could be- cats are creatures who like routines after all. With the
> Fabulous Furballs in the morning I get dressed and they come up for
> skritchies then I stand up and they both look at the kitchen door and I
> say "Who wants brekkies then?" at which point they both run to the bowl
> so by the time I reach the kitchen they are both at their dish. Dunzi
> will almost inevitably be sitting to one side to let Sarsi eat first and
> Sarsi will be sitting right next to the bowl. I then have to give them
> another skritchie before getting out their food and telling them today's
> offering. If I miss any step of this they look indignantly at me

Yep. We *must* keep to the routines the masters teach us!

Sammy Redcat is that way with the bedtime routine. When I go to bed I
*must* lie flat on my back so he can climb onto my chest for pets and to
tell me about his day. He might only stay there for a minute or two, but
we have to do that routine every night. During the weeks he was missing
it was almost impossible for me to get to sleep - I had gotten used to
his nighttime routine too.

Lesley[_3_]
July 22nd 09, 05:11 PM
On Jul 20, 9:37*am, "Christina Websell"
> wrote:
..
> I have heard it said that cats can be free fed and will never overeat.
> Maybe some can, but that doesn't apply to Boyfriend,

Many years ago it did say on the side of cat food tins "Cats regulate
their appetite and seldom overeat"

It was probably withdrawn after people,pointed out 8 out of 10 cats
overeating is not "seldom"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
July 22nd 09, 08:31 PM
Lesley wrote:
> On Jul 20, 9:37 am, "Christina Websell"
> > wrote:
> .
>> I have heard it said that cats can be free fed and will never overeat.
>> Maybe some can, but that doesn't apply to Boyfriend,
>
> Many years ago it did say on the side of cat food tins "Cats regulate
> their appetite and seldom overeat"
>
> It was probably withdrawn after people,pointed out 8 out of 10 cats
> overeating is not "seldom"
>
> Lesley

I guess I've just been lucky. None of my cats has ever been
particularly fixated on food. (Even Patches, the somewhat obese stray
who'd been on his own for three years, quickly slimmed down, once he
realized there was food available whenever he wanted it.)

Christina Websell
July 23rd 09, 07:32 PM
"Lesley" > wrote in message
On Jul 20, 9:37 am, "Christina Websell"
> wrote:
..
> I have heard it said that cats can be free fed and will never overeat.
> Maybe some can, but that doesn't apply to Boyfriend,

Many years ago it did say on the side of cat food tins "Cats regulate
their appetite and seldom overeat"

It was probably withdrawn after people,pointed out 8 out of 10 cats
overeating is not "seldom"

--------------

I was at home yesterday so Boyfie got fed a bit later than normal, at 9 with
a perfectly good pouch of good quality food. By 10.30 he was insisting that
I'd forgotten to give him his breakfast. I told him he was mistaken but he
was sure it was me that was wrong. We disagreed about it..he'd been fed.
So he sat on the arm of my chair and looked at me. I ignored him. He did
his tiny purr. I ignored that too. Then he put out his paw and touched my
face very softly. He claimed he was starving. I told him he was not. He
thought about it and decided he was and put out one claw and pricked my
cheek with it. Like "didn't you understand what I meant?"
I had to laugh but I pushed him away. He knows very well he isn't allowed
to claw me.
That's why he tried just the one claw!

Tweed

MLB[_2_]
July 24th 09, 05:24 AM
Christina Websell wrote:
> "Lesley" > wrote in message
> On Jul 20, 9:37 am, "Christina Websell"
> > wrote:
> .
>> I have heard it said that cats can be free fed and will never overeat.
>> Maybe some can, but that doesn't apply to Boyfriend,
>
> Many years ago it did say on the side of cat food tins "Cats regulate
> their appetite and seldom overeat"
>
> It was probably withdrawn after people,pointed out 8 out of 10 cats
> overeating is not "seldom"
>
> --------------
>

> I was at home yesterday so Boyfie got fed a bit later than normal, at 9 with
> a perfectly good pouch of good quality food. By 10.30 he was insisting that
> I'd forgotten to give him his breakfast. I told him he was mistaken but he
> was sure it was me that was wrong. We disagreed about it..he'd been fed.
> So he sat on the arm of my chair and looked at me. I ignored him. He did
> his tiny purr. I ignored that too. Then he put out his paw and touched my
> face very softly. He claimed he was starving. I told him he was not. He
> thought about it and decided he was and put out one claw and pricked my
> cheek with it. Like "didn't you understand what I meant?"
> I had to laugh but I pushed him away. He knows very well he isn't allowed
> to claw me.
> That's why he tried just the one claw!
>
> Tweed
>

> Perhaps he needed cuddles! Do youi ever do that? MLB

Karla
July 24th 09, 10:43 AM
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message
(snip)
> I was at home yesterday so Boyfie got fed a bit later than normal, at 9
> with a perfectly good pouch of good quality food. By 10.30 he was
> insisting that I'd forgotten to give him his breakfast. I told him he was
> mistaken but he was sure it was me that was wrong. We disagreed about
> it..he'd been fed.
> So he sat on the arm of my chair and looked at me. I ignored him. He did
> his tiny purr. I ignored that too. Then he put out his paw and touched
> my face very softly. He claimed he was starving. I told him he was not.
> He thought about it and decided he was and put out one claw and pricked my
> cheek with it. Like "didn't you understand what I meant?"
> I had to laugh but I pushed him away. He knows very well he isn't allowed
> to claw me.
> That's why he tried just the one claw!
>
> Tweed

Sneaker will touch me like that, so gently, one paw almost carressing my
face. I always think it's a soul sharing moment, and look into his eyes.
He mearows and heads to the food bowl!

I feed him whenever and whatever he wants, I have spoiled him terribly, but
after living with me for 18 years I figure it's his due.

How can 6 pounds wield such power...
Karla

Wayne Mitchell
July 24th 09, 02:57 PM
"Karla" > wrote:

>Sneaker will touch me like that, so gently, one paw almost carressing my
>face. I always think it's a soul sharing moment, and look into his eyes.

It's a soul-sharing moment with Heidi, too. She, too, uses the one-claw
signal that Boyfie favors, and looking into her eyes I can read the
message, "If you don't get up and feed me right now, I'm going to tear
out your soul and eat it!"
--

Wayne M.

Christina Websell
July 24th 09, 05:38 PM
"Karla" > wrote in message

> "Christina Websell" > wrote in message
> (snip)
>> I was at home yesterday so Boyfie got fed a bit later than normal, at 9
>> with a perfectly good pouch of good quality food. By 10.30 he was
>> insisting that I'd forgotten to give him his breakfast. I told him he
>> was mistaken but he was sure it was me that was wrong. We disagreed
>> about it..he'd been fed.
>> So he sat on the arm of my chair and looked at me. I ignored him. He
>> did his tiny purr. I ignored that too. Then he put out his paw and
>> touched my face very softly. He claimed he was starving. I told him he
>> was not. He thought about it and decided he was and put out one claw and
>> pricked my cheek with it. Like "didn't you understand what I meant?"
>> I had to laugh but I pushed him away. He knows very well he isn't
>> allowed to claw me.
>> That's why he tried just the one claw!
>>
>> Tweed
>>
> Sneaker will touch me like that, so gently, one paw almost carressing my
> face. I always think it's a soul sharing moment, and look into his eyes.
> He mearows and heads to the food bowl!
>
> I feed him whenever and whatever he wants, I have spoiled him terribly,
> but after living with me for 18 years I figure it's his due.
>
> How can 6 pounds wield such power...
> Karla
Easily.

Tweed

Christina Websell
July 24th 09, 06:19 PM
"Wayne Mitchell" > wrote in message
> "Karla" > wrote:
>
>>Sneaker will touch me like that, so gently, one paw almost carressing my
>>face. I always think it's a soul sharing moment, and look into his eyes.
>
> It's a soul-sharing moment with Heidi, too. She, too, uses the one-claw
> signal that Boyfie favors, and looking into her eyes I can read the
> message, "If you don't get up and feed me right now, I'm going to tear
> out your soul and eat it!"
> --

<grin>
Boyfie never touches my face with his paw unless he is trying to make a
point that he thinks I haven't understood i.e. I have refused his request
for more food. He's certain that the tiny purr he then makes will do the
trick. When it doesn't he tries the one claw trick.
I don't mind because I'm glad he's confident enough to do it now. He was
very afraid of me once, as a lost boy. Somewhat like Adrian's Shadow,
gaining confidence takes years.
From a cat that would rush away as soon as I opened the back door to one who
lounges on the spare bed all day if it's raining and is happy to prick me
with one claw in the knowledge that he is safe if he does this., well, it's
great.
However, he feels so safe that if I still ignore his attention-seeking ways
he will start to claw the carpet. Once upon a time that would be guaranteed
to get me to stop him with more food and he very well knew that.
I like it that he feels safe.
But the lad is very greedy. Very, very greedy.
I know he has enough food, the vet told me what I fed him was more than
adequate. He just likes to push it.

Tweed

Christina Websell
July 26th 09, 11:20 PM
"MLB" > wrote in message

>> Perhaps he needed cuddles! Do youi ever do that? MLB

Of course not. I'm a horrible meowmie. He needs smacking regularly.
Now lets be sensible.
It took years for him to trust me and cuddling him without him asking for it
is out of the question.

Tweed

Jofirey
July 27th 09, 12:13 AM
"Christina Websell" > wrote in
message ...

> "MLB" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Perhaps he needed cuddles! Do youi ever do that? MLB
>>>
> Of course not. I'm a horrible meowmie. He needs smacking
> regularly.
> Now lets be sensible.
> It took years for him to trust me and cuddling him without him
> asking for it is out of the question.
>
> Tweed

Sounds like Molly. If I really wanted to **** her off, all I'd have
to do is pick her up and give her a big hug.

As it is, most nights she does make me pick her up and carry her
inside, where she struggles to jump down faster than I can put her
down gently.

Jo

William Hamblen[_2_]
July 27th 09, 01:49 AM
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 16:13:09 -0700, "Jofirey" >
wrote:

>"Christina Websell" > wrote in
>message ...

>> Of course not. I'm a horrible meowmie. He needs smacking
>> regularly.
>> Now lets be sensible.
>> It took years for him to trust me and cuddling him without him
>> asking for it is out of the question.
>>
>> Tweed
>>
>Sounds like Molly. If I really wanted to **** her off, all I'd have
>to do is pick her up and give her a big hug.
>
>As it is, most nights she does make me pick her up and carry her
>inside, where she struggles to jump down faster than I can put her
>down gently.
>
>Jo

Spotsie has a split personality. She purrs and wiggles to get down at
the same time.

Bud

Jofirey
July 27th 09, 01:56 AM
"William Hamblen" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 16:13:09 -0700, "Jofirey"
> >
> wrote:
>

>>"Christina Websell" > wrote in
>>message ...

>>> Of course not. I'm a horrible meowmie. He needs smacking
>>> regularly.
>>> Now lets be sensible.
>>> It took years for him to trust me and cuddling him without him
>>> asking for it is out of the question.
>>>
>>> Tweed
>>>
>>Sounds like Molly. If I really wanted to **** her off, all I'd
>>have
>>to do is pick her up and give her a big hug.
>>
>>As it is, most nights she does make me pick her up and carry her
>>inside, where she struggles to jump down faster than I can put her
>>down gently.
>>
>>Jo
>
> Spotsie has a split personality. She purrs and wiggles to get
> down at
> the same time.
>
> Bud

Molly is kind of like that. I mean it's not as if I could catch her
and pick her up to come inside if she really didn't want me to.

Jo