PDA

View Full Version : Persia's Fountain Isn't Running

jmcquown[_2_]
July 16th 09, 01:39 PM
Persia adores her Drinkwell fountain. Something about that little bit of
running water attracts her like nothing else.

When she first came to me in 2001 she'd use the toilet as a stepping stone
to get up on the bathroom counter when I was brushing my teeth. She'd put
her face under the running water to drink. I decided right then and there
she needed her own fountain :)

I cleaned it this morning. I clean it every week (okay, sometimes if I'm
busy every week and a half). I always remove the motor and the impeller
blade in the motor, clean it out well with a little brush. I scrub the bowl
and other parts and replace the filter every 4-6 weeks. (I scrub the
filter, too, between replacements). This morning I reassembled it, filled
it, plugged it back in. When I did the motor was making a rather loud
annoying noise. It's never done that before. I figured Persia would never
go for that sound (rather like drinking from a small sucky-monster). So I
unplugged it and reached underneath and gave the motor a tap. Plugged it
back in. Now it won't circulate water at all. I emptied it, pulled the
motor out, put it back. Nothing, nada, zip.

Fortunately I have another Drinkwell I brought back with me from TN. It's
in a box in the garage. I'm sure the problem is with the motor so I'll just
swap it out and see if it fixes the problem. But I have to tell you,
cleaning a pet fountain at 7AM is not my idea of fun. I was barely awake as
it was and hadn't had my coffee or a shower yet. So for now she'll just
have to drink fresh water from the basin. I'll swap out the motor later
today.

The things we won't do for our furbabies! :)

Jill

Magic Mood Jeep
July 16th 09, 01:58 PM
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Persia adores her Drinkwell fountain. Something about that little bit
> of running water attracts her like nothing else.
>
> When she first came to me in 2001 she'd use the toilet as a stepping
> stone to get up on the bathroom counter when I was brushing my teeth.
> She'd put her face under the running water to drink. I decided right
> then and there she needed her own fountain :)
>
> I cleaned it this morning. I clean it every week (okay, sometimes if
> I'm busy every week and a half). I always remove the motor and the
> impeller blade in the motor, clean it out well with a little brush. I
> scrub the bowl and other parts and replace the filter every 4-6 weeks.
> (I scrub the filter, too, between replacements). This morning I
> reassembled it, filled it, plugged it back in. When I did the motor was
> making a rather loud annoying noise. It's never done that before. I
> figured Persia would never go for that sound (rather like drinking from
> a small sucky-monster). So I unplugged it and reached underneath and
> gave the motor a tap. Plugged it back in. Now it won't circulate water
> at all. I emptied it, pulled the motor out, put it back. Nothing,
> nada, zip.
>
> Fortunately I have another Drinkwell I brought back with me from TN.
> It's in a box in the garage. I'm sure the problem is with the motor so
> I'll just swap it out and see if it fixes the problem. But I have to
> tell you, cleaning a pet fountain at 7AM is not my idea of fun. I was
> barely awake as it was and hadn't had my coffee or a shower yet. So for
> now she'll just have to drink fresh water from the basin. I'll swap out
> the motor later today.
>
> The things we won't do for our furbabies! :)
>
> Jill

I had that happen with one of mine, and it wasn't the motor, but the
impellor! one of the 'blades' broke off. Replacements can be bought
online direct from the manufacturer.

--
>^..^< This is Kitty. Copy and paste Kitty into your signature to help
her
wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde

Will in New Haven
July 16th 09, 02:33 PM
On Jul 16, 8:39*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Persia adores her Drinkwell fountain. *Something about that little bit of
> running water attracts her like nothing else.
>
> When she first came to me in 2001 she'd use the toilet as a stepping stone
> to get up on the bathroom counter when I was brushing my teeth. *She'd put
> her face under the running water to drink. *I decided right then and there
> she needed her own fountain :)
>
> I cleaned it this morning. *I clean it every week (okay, sometimes if I'm
> busy every week and a half). *I always remove the motor and the impeller
> blade in the motor, clean it out well with a little brush. *I scrub the bowl
> and other parts and replace the filter every 4-6 weeks. *(I scrub the
> filter, too, between replacements). *This morning I reassembled it, filled
> it, plugged it back in. *When I did the motor was making a rather loud
> annoying noise. *It's never done that before. *I figured Persia would never
> go for that sound (rather like drinking from a small sucky-monster). *So I
> unplugged it and reached underneath and gave the motor a tap. *Plugged it
> back in. *Now it won't circulate water at all. *I emptied it, pulled the
> motor out, put it back. *Nothing, nada, zip.
>
> Fortunately I have another Drinkwell I brought back with me from TN. *It's
> in a box in the garage. *I'm sure the problem is with the motor so I'll just
> swap it out and see if it fixes the problem. *But I have to tell you,
> cleaning a pet fountain at 7AM is not my idea of fun. *I was barely awake as
> it was and hadn't had my coffee or a shower yet. *So for now she'll just
> have to drink fresh water from the basin. *I'll swap out the motor later
> today.

Feather (RB) and I had an apartment that had its own fountain. It was
_supposed_ to be the bathroom sink but it had a permanent drip and
that's where he loved to get his drink. Jumping up there was no
problem and he would drink from the water bowl on the floor only right
after he ate, when it was just _too_ handly. Then, against all odds,
the landlord had someone come in and fix the drip. So I had to make it
drip again.

--
Will in New Haven

Jofirey
July 16th 09, 03:45 PM
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Persia adores her Drinkwell fountain. Something about that little
> bit of running water attracts her like nothing else.
>
> When she first came to me in 2001 she'd use the toilet as a
> stepping stone to get up on the bathroom counter when I was
> brushing my teeth. She'd put her face under the running water to
> drink. I decided right then and there she needed her own fountain
> :)
>
> I cleaned it this morning. I clean it every week (okay, sometimes
> if I'm busy every week and a half). I always remove the motor and
> the impeller blade in the motor, clean it out well with a little
> brush. I scrub the bowl and other parts and replace the filter
> every 4-6 weeks. (I scrub the filter, too, between replacements).
> This morning I reassembled it, filled it, plugged it back in.
> When I did the motor was making a rather loud annoying noise.
> It's never done that before. I figured Persia would never go for
> that sound (rather like drinking from a small sucky-monster). So
> I unplugged it and reached underneath and gave the motor a tap.
> Plugged it back in. Now it won't circulate water at all. I
> emptied it, pulled the motor out, put it back. Nothing, nada,
> zip.
>
> Fortunately I have another Drinkwell I brought back with me from
> TN. It's in a box in the garage. I'm sure the problem is with
> the motor so I'll just swap it out and see if it fixes the
> problem. But I have to tell you, cleaning a pet fountain at 7AM
> is not my idea of fun. I was barely awake as it was and hadn't
> had my coffee or a shower yet. So for now she'll just have to
> drink fresh water from the basin. I'll swap out the motor later
> today.
>
> The things we won't do for our furbabies! :)
>
> Jill

I adore my furbabies. Its the two legs that drive me up the wall.
Oldest grandson messed up and his car was finally booted. (Unpaid
parking tickets) Also no money. So I got up, went to my bank and
got cash, went to his local bank branch and deposited it. Car out
of hock and parking permit purchased. (Or it damn well better be).

Got nicely settled down only to find out younger grandson can't get
off work in time to make it to his dentist appointment. (Yippee Ki
Yay that he is working at all!) So I switch appointments with him
and go get my teeth cleaned.

Stuff that needed done, and that I'm willing to do. But dang, that
wasn't how I meant to spend my day when I got up yesterday morning!.

Spent the evening petting Jake and muttering about the kids.

Jo

Winnie
July 16th 09, 10:21 PM
On Jul 16, 8:39*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Persia adores her Drinkwell fountain. *Something about that little bit of
> running water attracts her like nothing else.
>
> When she first came to me in 2001 she'd use the toilet as a stepping stone
> to get up on the bathroom counter when I was brushing my teeth. *She'd put
> her face under the running water to drink. *I decided right then and there
> she needed her own fountain :)
>
> I cleaned it this morning. *I clean it every week (okay, sometimes if I'm
> busy every week and a half). *I always remove the motor and the impeller
> blade in the motor, clean it out well with a little brush. *I scrub the bowl
> and other parts and replace the filter every 4-6 weeks. *(I scrub the
> filter, too, between replacements). *This morning I reassembled it, filled
> it, plugged it back in. *When I did the motor was making a rather loud
> annoying noise. *It's never done that before. *I figured Persia would never
> go for that sound (rather like drinking from a small sucky-monster). *So I
> unplugged it and reached underneath and gave the motor a tap. *Plugged it
> back in. *Now it won't circulate water at all. *I emptied it, pulled the
> motor out, put it back. *Nothing, nada, zip.
>
> Fortunately I have another Drinkwell I brought back with me from TN. *It's
> in a box in the garage. *I'm sure the problem is with the motor so I'll just
> swap it out and see if it fixes the problem. *But I have to tell you,
> cleaning a pet fountain at 7AM is not my idea of fun. *I was barely awake as
> it was and hadn't had my coffee or a shower yet. *So for now she'll just
> have to drink fresh water from the basin. *I'll swap out the motor later
> today.
>
> The things we won't do for our furbabies! :)
>
> Jill

You are a good cat mom Jill. You won't catch me washing Rusty food
dishes or
scooping the litter box at 7 am. The only thing I would do that early
in the morning
is to cleanup any cat vomit.

Winnie

Winnie
July 16th 09, 10:22 PM
On Jul 16, 9:33*am, Will in New Haven
> wrote:
> On Jul 16, 8:39*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>

> > Persia adores her Drinkwell fountain. *Something about that little bit of
> > running water attracts her like nothing else.
>
> > When she first came to me in 2001 she'd use the toilet as a stepping stone
> > to get up on the bathroom counter when I was brushing my teeth. *She'd put
> > her face under the running water to drink. *I decided right then and there
> > she needed her own fountain :)
>
> > I cleaned it this morning. *I clean it every week (okay, sometimes if I'm
> > busy every week and a half). *I always remove the motor and the impeller
> > blade in the motor, clean it out well with a little brush. *I scrub the bowl
> > and other parts and replace the filter every 4-6 weeks. *(I scrub the
> > filter, too, between replacements). *This morning I reassembled it, filled
> > it, plugged it back in. *When I did the motor was making a rather loud
> > annoying noise. *It's never done that before. *I figured Persia would never
> > go for that sound (rather like drinking from a small sucky-monster). *So I
> > unplugged it and reached underneath and gave the motor a tap. *Plugged it
> > back in. *Now it won't circulate water at all. *I emptied it, pulled the
> > motor out, put it back. *Nothing, nada, zip.
>
> > Fortunately I have another Drinkwell I brought back with me from TN. *It's
> > in a box in the garage. *I'm sure the problem is with the motor so I'll just
> > swap it out and see if it fixes the problem. *But I have to tell you,
> > cleaning a pet fountain at 7AM is not my idea of fun. *I was barely awake as
> > it was and hadn't had my coffee or a shower yet. *So for now she'll just
> > have to drink fresh water from the basin. *I'll swap out the motor later
> > today.
>
> Feather (RB) and I had an apartment that had its own fountain. It was
> _supposed_ to be the bathroom sink but it had a permanent drip and
> that's where he loved to get his drink. Jumping up there was no
> problem and he would drink from the water bowl on the floor only right
> after he ate, when it was just _too_ handly. Then, against all odds,
> the landlord had someone come in and fix the drip. So I had to make it
> drip again.
>
> --
> Will in New Haven- Hide quoted text -

I notice Rusty likes to go in the bath tub since the tub faucet
started dripping.
The noise is driving me nuts and I will call someone to come fix it
soon.

Winnie

Jofirey
July 16th 09, 11:22 PM
"Winnie" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > today.
>
> Feather (RB) and I had an apartment that had its own fountain. It
> was
> _supposed_ to be the bathroom sink but it had a permanent drip and
> that's where he loved to get his drink. Jumping up there was no
> problem and he would drink from the water bowl on the floor only
> right
> after he ate, when it was just _too_ handly. Then, against all
> odds,
> the landlord had someone come in and fix the drip. So I had to
> make it
> drip again.
>
> --
> Will in New Haven- Hide quoted text -

I notice Rusty likes to go in the bath tub since the tub faucet
started dripping.
The noise is driving me nuts and I will call someone to come fix it

*****
Put a small sponge under it and you won't hear it.
Jo

Mishi[_2_]
July 17th 09, 03:24 AM
Jofirey wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Persia adores her Drinkwell fountain. Something about that little bit
>> of running water attracts her like nothing else.
>>
>> When she first came to me in 2001 she'd use the toilet as a stepping
>> stone to get up on the bathroom counter when I was brushing my teeth.
>> She'd put her face under the running water to drink. I decided right
>> then and there she needed her own fountain :)
>>
>> I cleaned it this morning. I clean it every week (okay, sometimes if
>> I'm busy every week and a half). I always remove the motor and the
>> impeller blade in the motor, clean it out well with a little brush. I
>> scrub the bowl and other parts and replace the filter every 4-6
>> weeks. (I scrub the filter, too, between replacements). This morning
>> I reassembled it, filled it, plugged it back in. When I did the motor
>> was making a rather loud annoying noise. It's never done that before.
>> I figured Persia would never go for that sound (rather like drinking
>> from a small sucky-monster). So I unplugged it and reached underneath
>> and gave the motor a tap. Plugged it back in. Now it won't circulate
>> water at all. I emptied it, pulled the motor out, put it back.
>> Nothing, nada, zip.
>>
>> Fortunately I have another Drinkwell I brought back with me from TN.
>> It's in a box in the garage. I'm sure the problem is with the motor
>> so I'll just swap it out and see if it fixes the problem. But I have
>> to tell you, cleaning a pet fountain at 7AM is not my idea of fun. I
>> was barely awake as it was and hadn't had my coffee or a shower yet.
>> So for now she'll just have to drink fresh water from the basin. I'll
>> swap out the motor later today.
>>
>> The things we won't do for our furbabies! :)
>>
>> Jill

Hi Jill,

They make replacement pumps with automatic shut off if the water gets
too low. I think I will get one, as I am always paranoid that it will
run out of water and burn up.

Mishi

jmcquown[_2_]
July 17th 09, 04:21 PM
"Mishi" > wrote in message
> Jofirey wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> Persia adores her Drinkwell fountain. Something about that little bit
>>> of running water attracts her like nothing else.
>>>
>>> When she first came to me in 2001 she'd use the toilet as a stepping
>>> stone to get up on the bathroom counter when I was brushing my teeth.
>>> She'd put her face under the running water to drink. I decided right
>>> then and there she needed her own fountain :)
>>>
>>> I cleaned it this morning. I clean it every week (okay, sometimes if
>>> I'm busy every week and a half). I always remove the motor and the
>>> impeller blade in the motor, clean it out well with a little brush. I
>>> scrub the bowl and other parts and replace the filter every 4-6 weeks.
>>> (I scrub the filter, too, between replacements). This morning I
>>> reassembled it, filled it, plugged it back in. When I did the motor was
>>> making a rather loud annoying noise. It's never done that before. I
>>> figured Persia would never go for that sound (rather like drinking from
>>> a small sucky-monster). So I unplugged it and reached underneath and
>>> gave the motor a tap. Plugged it back in. Now it won't circulate water
>>> at all. I emptied it, pulled the motor out, put it back. Nothing,
>>> nada, zip.
>>>
>>> Fortunately I have another Drinkwell I brought back with me from TN.
>>> It's in a box in the garage. I'm sure the problem is with the motor so
>>> I'll just swap it out and see if it fixes the problem. But I have to
>>> tell you, cleaning a pet fountain at 7AM is not my idea of fun. I was
>>> barely awake as it was and hadn't had my coffee or a shower yet. So for
>>> now she'll just have to drink fresh water from the basin. I'll swap out
>>> the motor later today.
>>>
>>> The things we won't do for our furbabies! :)
>>>
>>> Jill
>
> Hi Jill,
>
> They make replacement pumps with automatic shut off if the water gets too
> low. I think I will get one, as I am always paranoid that it will run out
> of water and burn up.
>
> Mishi

I make sure her fountain is filled daily and make sure it's cleaned
regularly so I don't worry about water levels. But she does love having it
running all the time so she can drink from the spout. I've fixed by
replacing the motor with the spare I had :)

Jill