PDA

View Full Version : ot, kindle

Stormmee
July 22nd 09, 06:47 PM
I know some of you here have one, do you like it? is it worth it and can it
do anything beyond reading books? lee, just starting research

John Kimmel[_2_]
July 23rd 09, 07:39 AM
Stormmee wrote:
> I know some of you here have one, do you like it? is it worth it and can it
> do anything beyond reading books? lee, just starting research

Get an iphone instead.

--
John Kimmel

So in this world
Of the simple and odd,
The bent and plain,
The unbalanced bod,
The imperfect people
And differently pawed,
Some live without love...
That's how they're flawed.

Stormmee
July 23rd 09, 01:52 PM
why can you compare>?
"John Kimmel" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> I know some of you here have one, do you like it? is it worth it and can
>> it do anything beyond reading books? lee, just starting research
> Get an iphone instead.
>
> --
> John Kimmel
>

> So in this world
> Of the simple and odd,
> The bent and plain,
> The unbalanced bod,
> The imperfect people
> And differently pawed,
> Some live without love...
> That's how they're flawed.

Christina Websell
July 23rd 09, 08:28 PM
"Stormmee" > wrote in message
>I know some of you here have one, do you like it? is it worth it and can it
>do anything beyond reading books? lee, just starting research

What is kindle?
Do I need it? ;-)
I have a thingie like a TV screen for my work. I can put a document under
it and turn a knob to see how best I can see it. Yellow on blue, red on
white etc.
It will also scroll in large print from small in black and white.

It cost my employers $6,000.
And the best thing it that it's mine! I can transfer it to another job or
take it home when I retire.

Stormmee
July 23rd 09, 08:40 PM
i used to use one of those back when i could see, if you want to be
impressed ask gramby about her portable one... the kindle so far as i can
tell lets you read books, either the electronic word or it will with the
newer versions talk to you... books aren't supposed to cost as much as a
real book, but i was wondering if it is worth my while or should i just
content myself for now with downloading public domain stuff from the
guetenburg project to my acer which will read that stuff... my real issue is
1 does it do anything besides read books.
2 can i get the books and down load them to something i already have.
and
3 there are several versions, of the ones that read out the material which
one is best.

Lee
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>I know some of you here have one, do you like it? is it worth it and can
>>it do anything beyond reading books? lee, just starting research
>>
> What is kindle?
> Do I need it? ;-)
> I have a thingie like a TV screen for my work. I can put a document under
> it and turn a knob to see how best I can see it. Yellow on blue, red on
> white etc.
> It will also scroll in large print from small in black and white.
>
> It cost my employers $6,000.
> And the best thing it that it's mine! I can transfer it to another job or
> take it home when I retire.

Christina Websell
July 23rd 09, 09:14 PM
Sorry, have no idea, except that the word kindle was used to describe cats
and rabbits giving birth many years ago

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
>i used to use one of those back when i could see, if you want to be
>impressed ask gramby about her portable one... the kindle so far as i can
>tell lets you read books, either the electronic word or it will with the
>newer versions talk to you... books aren't supposed to cost as much as a
>real book, but i was wondering if it is worth my while or should i just
>content myself for now with downloading public domain stuff from the
>guetenburg project to my acer which will read that stuff... my real issue
>is
> 1 does it do anything besides read books.
> 2 can i get the books and down load them to something i already have.
> and
> 3 there are several versions, of the ones that read out the material which
> one is best.
>
> Lee
> "Christina Websell" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>>I know some of you here have one, do you like it? is it worth it and can
>>>it do anything beyond reading books? lee, just starting research
>>>
>> What is kindle?
>> Do I need it? ;-)
>> I have a thingie like a TV screen for my work. I can put a document
>> under it and turn a knob to see how best I can see it. Yellow on blue,
>> red on white etc.
>> It will also scroll in large print from small in black and white.
>>
>> It cost my employers $6,000.
>> And the best thing it that it's mine! I can transfer it to another job
>> or take it home when I retire.

Stormmee
July 23rd 09, 09:28 PM
i never even thought of that reference, how interesting, Lee
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message
> Sorry, have no idea, except that the word kindle was used to describe cats
> and rabbits giving birth many years ago
>

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>i used to use one of those back when i could see, if you want to be
>>impressed ask gramby about her portable one... the kindle so far as i can
>>tell lets you read books, either the electronic word or it will with the
>>newer versions talk to you... books aren't supposed to cost as much as a
>>real book, but i was wondering if it is worth my while or should i just
>>content myself for now with downloading public domain stuff from the
>>guetenburg project to my acer which will read that stuff... my real issue
>>is
>> 1 does it do anything besides read books.
>> 2 can i get the books and down load them to something i already have.
>> and
>> 3 there are several versions, of the ones that read out the material
>> which one is best.
>>
>> Lee

>>> What is kindle?
>>> Do I need it? ;-)
>>> I have a thingie like a TV screen for my work. I can put a document
>>> under it and turn a knob to see how best I can see it. Yellow on blue,
>>> red on white etc.
>>> It will also scroll in large print from small in black and white.
>>>
>>> It cost my employers $6,000.
>>> And the best thing it that it's mine! I can transfer it to another job
>>> or take it home when I retire.

Christine BA
July 23rd 09, 10:11 PM
Christina Websell kirjoitti:
> Sorry, have no idea, except that the word kindle was used to describe cats
> and rabbits giving birth many years ago

My first thought was towards kindling a fire...

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

Christina Websell
July 23rd 09, 10:50 PM
I want to know what a portable kindle is.

Tweed

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
>i never even thought of that reference, how interesting, Lee
> "Christina Websell" > wrote in message
>> Sorry, have no idea, except that the word kindle was used to describe
>> cats and rabbits giving birth many years ago
>>

>> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>>i used to use one of those back when i could see, if you want to be
>>>impressed ask gramby about her portable one... the kindle so far as i can
>>>tell lets you read books, either the electronic word or it will with the
>>>newer versions talk to you... books aren't supposed to cost as much as a
>>>real book, but i was wondering if it is worth my while or should i just
>>>content myself for now with downloading public domain stuff from the
>>>guetenburg project to my acer which will read that stuff... my real issue
>>>is
>>> 1 does it do anything besides read books.
>>> 2 can i get the books and down load them to something i already have.
>>> and
>>> 3 there are several versions, of the ones that read out the material
>>> which one is best.
>>>
>>> Lee
>>> "Christina Websell" > wrote in
>>> message ...

Stormmee
July 23rd 09, 10:53 PM
they are sold at amazon if you mean the reader, and i keep hoping mark reads
this thread and gives out his opinion, Lee
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message
>I want to know what a portable kindle is.
>
> Tweed
>

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>>i never even thought of that reference, how interesting, Lee
>> "Christina Websell" > wrote in message
>>> Sorry, have no idea, except that the word kindle was used to describe
>>> cats and rabbits giving birth many years ago

Granby
July 23rd 09, 11:18 PM
You are talking that you have what is called here, a CCTV, closed circuit TV
camera on a stand? I also have a portable one that is about the size of
three packs of cigarettes laid side be side. This is a newer version.

http://www.iltsource.com/Optelec_Compact_p/compwrld.htm

They take some doing to learn how to use, especially if reading a menu.
Whip on out and everyone with a hundred miles wants to see it. My family
wants me to hold the menu and place the device on it rather than read on a
flat surface where I have to lean over to see.

They are wonderful for a dozen things once you get the hang of it.
"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> why can you compare>?
> "John Kimmel" > wrote in message
>> Stormmee wrote:
>>> I know some of you here have one, do you like it? is it worth it and can
>>> it do anything beyond reading books? lee, just starting research
>> Get an iphone instead.
>>
>> --
>> John Kimmel
>>

>> So in this world
>> Of the simple and odd,
>> The bent and plain,
>> The unbalanced bod,
>> The imperfect people
>> And differently pawed,
>> Some live without love...
>> That's how they're flawed.

John Kimmel[_2_]
July 24th 09, 04:16 AM
Stormmee wrote:
> why can you compare>? "John Kimmel" > wrote in message ...

Because you can compare yourself. Google the Kindle, see what it can do and how much it costs. Here's a few things my iphone can do:

Read books.
Play audio books.
Watch high resolution video in color.
Listen to music.
Lots of free books, video, music available including anything in public domain.
Full Internet access anywhere.
Look up song lyrics while I'm at a concert so I can sing along with Riders in the Sky.
Fit in shirt pocket.
GPS with maps of the entire world.
Satellite images of the entire world.
Phone with voicemail/call waiting etc.
Rolodex
Phonebook for the entire world.
Yellow pages for entire world.
Restaurant listings and reviews.
Happy hour maps.
Camera
Translate any language into any other.
Weather anywhere in the world.
Calculator
Calendar
Clock, any time zone
Facebook
Usenet (thru google)
Photo album.
Shopping at places other than Amazon.
Internet photo albums.
Email
Text messaging.
Bus schedules
Bus signaling light
Voice recorder
Video games
Not tied to Amazon
Thousands more applications, most of them free or 99 cents.
$300 plus $80/mo-$100/mo cell service.
It is always in my pocket.

What can a Kindle do. How much does the Kindle cost?
--
John Kimmel

So in this world
Of the simple and odd,
The bent and plain,
The unbalanced bod,
The imperfect people
And differently pawed,
Some live without love...
That's how they're flawed.

Sara[_4_]
July 24th 09, 05:55 AM
On Jul 23, 11:16*pm, John Kimmel > wrote:
> Stormmee wrote:
> > why can you compare>? "John Kimmel" > wrote in messagenews:nMWdnb_FoKkwmPXXnZ2dnUVZ_smdnZ2d@gigan ews.com...
>
> Because you can compare yourself. *Google the Kindle, see what it can do and how much it costs. *Here's a few things my iphone can do:
>
> Read books.
> Play audio books.
> Watch high resolution video in color.
> Listen to music.
> Lots of free books, video, music available including anything in public domain.
> Full Internet access anywhere.
> Look up song lyrics while I'm at a concert so I can sing along with Riders in the Sky.
> Fit in shirt pocket.
> GPS with maps of the entire world.
> Satellite images of the entire world.
> Phone with voicemail/call waiting etc.
> Rolodex
> Phonebook for the entire world.
> Yellow pages for entire world.
> Restaurant listings and reviews.
> Happy hour maps.
> Camera
> Translate any language into any other.
> Weather anywhere in the world.
> Calculator
> Calendar
> Clock, any time zone
> Facebook
> Usenet (thru google)
> Photo album.
> Shopping at places other than Amazon.
> Internet photo albums.
> Email
> Text messaging.
> Bus schedules
> Bus signaling light
> Voice recorder
> Video games
> Not tied to Amazon
> Thousands more applications, most of them free or 99 cents.
> $300 plus $80/mo-$100/mo cell service.
> It is always in my pocket.
>
> What can a Kindle do. *How much does the Kindle cost?
> --
> John Kimmel
>
> So in this world
> Of the simple and odd,
> The bent and plain,
> The unbalanced bod,
> The imperfect people
> And differently pawed,
> Some live without love...
> That's how they're flawed.

my husband and I both have Kindles, and we love them. I like the
size, I can't imagine trying to read a book on an iPhone :( The newer
one has a couple other functions, but I don't use them and doubt I
will in the future. I just love the portability of the thing, and
the simplicity of buying books and having them instantly available to
read whenever I want. I like the way I can set the font size too.

Sara
if you go to www.amazon.com you can real all about what the newer
kindle offers.

Granby
July 24th 09, 08:00 AM
With all due respect to your iphone, which for a fully sighted person IS a
wonderful thing, for the ones discussing the Kindle, it would be a waste of
time.
Most of the many things the iphone can do are lost on a visually impaired
person.
"John Kimmel" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> why can you compare>? "John Kimmel" > wrote in message
>>

> Because you can compare yourself. Google the Kindle, see what it can do
> and how much it costs. Here's a few things my iphone can do:
>
> Read books.
> Play audio books.
> Watch high resolution video in color.
> Listen to music.
> Lots of free books, video, music available including anything in public
> domain.
> Full Internet access anywhere.
> Look up song lyrics while I'm at a concert so I can sing along with Riders
> in the Sky.
> Fit in shirt pocket.
> GPS with maps of the entire world.
> Satellite images of the entire world.
> Phone with voicemail/call waiting etc.
> Rolodex
> Phonebook for the entire world.
> Yellow pages for entire world.
> Restaurant listings and reviews.
> Happy hour maps.
> Camera
> Translate any language into any other.
> Weather anywhere in the world.
> Calculator
> Calendar
> Clock, any time zone
> Facebook
> Usenet (thru google)
> Photo album.
> Shopping at places other than Amazon.
> Internet photo albums.
> Email
> Text messaging.
> Bus schedules
> Bus signaling light
> Voice recorder
> Video games
> Not tied to Amazon
> Thousands more applications, most of them free or 99 cents.
> $300 plus $80/mo-$100/mo cell service.
> It is always in my pocket.
>
> What can a Kindle do. How much does the Kindle cost?
> --
> John Kimmel
>

> So in this world
> Of the simple and odd,
> The bent and plain,
> The unbalanced bod,
> The imperfect people
> And differently pawed,
> Some live without love...
> That's how they're flawed.

Stormmee
July 24th 09, 03:40 PM
so far the kindle will read e books to me, and if i could easily google i
wouldn't have bothered this group with the question, can the i phone handle
a screen reader? Lee
"John Kimmel" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> why can you compare>? "John Kimmel" > wrote in message
>>

> Because you can compare yourself. Google the Kindle, see what it can do
> and how much it costs. Here's a few things my iphone can do:
>
> Read books.
> Play audio books.
> Watch high resolution video in color.
> Listen to music.
> Lots of free books, video, music available including anything in public
> domain.
> Full Internet access anywhere.
> Look up song lyrics while I'm at a concert so I can sing along with Riders
> in the Sky.
> Fit in shirt pocket.
> GPS with maps of the entire world.
> Satellite images of the entire world.
> Phone with voicemail/call waiting etc.
> Rolodex
> Phonebook for the entire world.
> Yellow pages for entire world.
> Restaurant listings and reviews.
> Happy hour maps.
> Camera
> Translate any language into any other.
> Weather anywhere in the world.
> Calculator
> Calendar
> Clock, any time zone
> Facebook
> Usenet (thru google)
> Photo album.
> Shopping at places other than Amazon.
> Internet photo albums.
> Email
> Text messaging.
> Bus schedules
> Bus signaling light
> Voice recorder
> Video games
> Not tied to Amazon
> Thousands more applications, most of them free or 99 cents.
> $300 plus $80/mo-$100/mo cell service.
> It is always in my pocket.
>
> What can a Kindle do. How much does the Kindle cost?
> --
> John Kimmel
>

> So in this world
> Of the simple and odd,
> The bent and plain,
> The unbalanced bod,
> The imperfect people
> And differently pawed,
> Some live without love...
> That's how they're flawed.

Stormmee
July 24th 09, 03:42 PM
thnk you, Lee
"Sara" > wrote in message
On Jul 23, 11:16 pm, John Kimmel > wrote:
> Stormmee wrote:
> > why can you compare>? "John Kimmel" > wrote in
> > messagenews:nMWdnb_FoKkwmPXXnZ2dnUVZ_smdnZ2d@gigan ews.com...
>
> Because you can compare yourself. Google the Kindle, see what it can do
> and how much it costs. Here's a few things my iphone can do:
>
> Read books.
> Play audio books.
> Watch high resolution video in color.
> Listen to music.
> Lots of free books, video, music available including anything in public
> domain.
> Full Internet access anywhere.
> Look up song lyrics while I'm at a concert so I can sing along with Riders
> in the Sky.
> Fit in shirt pocket.
> GPS with maps of the entire world.
> Satellite images of the entire world.
> Phone with voicemail/call waiting etc.
> Rolodex
> Phonebook for the entire world.
> Yellow pages for entire world.
> Restaurant listings and reviews.
> Happy hour maps.
> Camera
> Translate any language into any other.
> Weather anywhere in the world.
> Calculator
> Calendar
> Clock, any time zone
> Facebook
> Usenet (thru google)
> Photo album.
> Shopping at places other than Amazon.
> Internet photo albums.
> Email
> Text messaging.
> Bus schedules
> Bus signaling light
> Voice recorder
> Video games
> Not tied to Amazon
> Thousands more applications, most of them free or 99 cents.
> $300 plus $80/mo-$100/mo cell service.
> It is always in my pocket.
>
> What can a Kindle do. How much does the Kindle cost?
> --
> John Kimmel
>
> So in this world
> Of the simple and odd,
> The bent and plain,
> The unbalanced bod,
> The imperfect people
> And differently pawed,
> Some live without love...
> That's how they're flawed.

my husband and I both have Kindles, and we love them. I like the
size, I can't imagine trying to read a book on an iPhone :( The newer
one has a couple other functions, but I don't use them and doubt I
will in the future. I just love the portability of the thing, and
the simplicity of buying books and having them instantly available to
read whenever I want. I like the way I can set the font size too.

Sara
if you go to www.amazon.com you can real all about what the newer
kindle offers.

Stormmee
July 24th 09, 03:44 PM
and the amount of people coming into the rest area needing to charge is a
concern even if the visual thing coulg be worked out, Lee
"Granby" > wrote in message
> With all due respect to your iphone, which for a fully sighted person IS a
> wonderful thing, for the ones discussing the Kindle, it would be a waste
> of time.
> Most of the many things the iphone can do are lost on a visually impaired
> person.
> "John Kimmel" > wrote in message
>> Stormmee wrote:
>>> why can you compare>? "John Kimmel" > wrote in message
>>>

>> Because you can compare yourself. Google the Kindle, see what it can do
>> and how much it costs. Here's a few things my iphone can do:
>>
>> Read books.
>> Play audio books.
>> Watch high resolution video in color.
>> Listen to music.
>> Lots of free books, video, music available including anything in public
>> domain.
>> Full Internet access anywhere.
>> Look up song lyrics while I'm at a concert so I can sing along with
>> Riders in the Sky.
>> Fit in shirt pocket.
>> GPS with maps of the entire world.
>> Satellite images of the entire world.
>> Phone with voicemail/call waiting etc.
>> Rolodex
>> Phonebook for the entire world.
>> Yellow pages for entire world.
>> Restaurant listings and reviews.
>> Happy hour maps.
>> Camera
>> Translate any language into any other.
>> Weather anywhere in the world.
>> Calculator
>> Calendar
>> Clock, any time zone
>> Facebook
>> Usenet (thru google)
>> Photo album.
>> Shopping at places other than Amazon.
>> Internet photo albums.
>> Email
>> Text messaging.
>> Bus schedules
>> Bus signaling light
>> Voice recorder
>> Video games
>> Not tied to Amazon
>> Thousands more applications, most of them free or 99 cents.
>> $300 plus $80/mo-$100/mo cell service.
>> It is always in my pocket.
>>
>> What can a Kindle do. How much does the Kindle cost?
>> --
>> John Kimmel
>>

>> So in this world
>> Of the simple and odd,
>> The bent and plain,
>> The unbalanced bod,
>> The imperfect people
>> And differently pawed,
>> Some live without love...
>> That's how they're flawed.

Granby
July 24th 09, 08:58 PM
I don't se that anyone over the age of 20 can read an iphone. Saw two today
and yeah, they do all of those things but most of the ones that had them
said the same thing about reading stuff on them, especially maps.
"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> so far the kindle will read e books to me, and if i could easily google i
> wouldn't have bothered this group with the question, can the i phone
> handle a screen reader? Lee
> "John Kimmel" > wrote in message
>> Stormmee wrote:
>>> why can you compare>? "John Kimmel" > wrote in message
>>>

>> Because you can compare yourself. Google the Kindle, see what it can do
>> and how much it costs. Here's a few things my iphone can do:
>>
>> Read books.
>> Play audio books.
>> Watch high resolution video in color.
>> Listen to music.
>> Lots of free books, video, music available including anything in public
>> domain.
>> Full Internet access anywhere.
>> Look up song lyrics while I'm at a concert so I can sing along with
>> Riders in the Sky.
>> Fit in shirt pocket.
>> GPS with maps of the entire world.
>> Satellite images of the entire world.
>> Phone with voicemail/call waiting etc.
>> Rolodex
>> Phonebook for the entire world.
>> Yellow pages for entire world.
>> Restaurant listings and reviews.
>> Happy hour maps.
>> Camera
>> Translate any language into any other.
>> Weather anywhere in the world.
>> Calculator
>> Calendar
>> Clock, any time zone
>> Facebook
>> Usenet (thru google)
>> Photo album.
>> Shopping at places other than Amazon.
>> Internet photo albums.
>> Email
>> Text messaging.
>> Bus schedules
>> Bus signaling light
>> Voice recorder
>> Video games
>> Not tied to Amazon
>> Thousands more applications, most of them free or 99 cents.
>> $300 plus $80/mo-$100/mo cell service.
>> It is always in my pocket.
>>
>> What can a Kindle do. How much does the Kindle cost?
>> --
>> John Kimmel
>>

>> So in this world
>> Of the simple and odd,
>> The bent and plain,
>> The unbalanced bod,
>> The imperfect people
>> And differently pawed,
>> Some live without love...
>> That's how they're flawed.

Lesley[_3_]
July 24th 09, 09:33 PM
On Jul 24, 12:58*pm, "Granby" > wrote:
> I don't se that anyone over the age of 20 can read an iphone.

One of the funniest things ever happened to me was my gadget obssessed
friend Chaz got one of the first i-phones and we were sitting in the
pub and he was showing his new toy off annoucing "It can tell me where
I am!"

I said "You're in the back bar at the "Black Lion I can tell you
that""

He said "No look!"

According to his i-phone he was about 1/2 a mile away on the other
side of the main road!

Don't EVER get me started on SatNavs

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furbals

Granby
July 24th 09, 09:41 PM
That is like my GPS always had me on the other side of the covered bridge
about a block down the road.
"Lesley" > wrote in message
On Jul 24, 12:58 pm, "Granby" > wrote:
> I don't se that anyone over the age of 20 can read an iphone.

One of the funniest things ever happened to me was my gadget obssessed
friend Chaz got one of the first i-phones and we were sitting in the
pub and he was showing his new toy off annoucing "It can tell me where
I am!"

I said "You're in the back bar at the "Black Lion I can tell you
that""

He said "No look!"

According to his i-phone he was about 1/2 a mile away on the other
side of the main road!

Don't EVER get me started on SatNavs

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furbals

Jofirey
July 24th 09, 09:46 PM
They are pretty useless for someone with 'old eyes' and poor hearing
as well.

Jo

"Granby" > wrote in message
> With all due respect to your iphone, which for a fully sighted
> person IS a wonderful thing, for the ones discussing the Kindle,
> it would be a waste of time.
> Most of the many things the iphone can do are lost on a visually
> impaired person.
> "John Kimmel" > wrote in message
>> Stormmee wrote:
>>> why can you compare>? "John Kimmel" > wrote in
>>> message ...
>>>

>> Because you can compare yourself. Google the Kindle, see what it
>> can do and how much it costs. Here's a few things my iphone can
>> do:
>>
>> Read books.
>> Play audio books.
>> Watch high resolution video in color.
>> Listen to music.
>> Lots of free books, video, music available including anything in
>> public domain.
>> Full Internet access anywhere.
>> Look up song lyrics while I'm at a concert so I can sing along
>> with Riders in the Sky.
>> Fit in shirt pocket.
>> GPS with maps of the entire world.
>> Satellite images of the entire world.
>> Phone with voicemail/call waiting etc.
>> Rolodex
>> Phonebook for the entire world.
>> Yellow pages for entire world.
>> Restaurant listings and reviews.
>> Happy hour maps.
>> Camera
>> Translate any language into any other.
>> Weather anywhere in the world.
>> Calculator
>> Calendar
>> Clock, any time zone
>> Facebook
>> Usenet (thru google)
>> Photo album.
>> Shopping at places other than Amazon.
>> Internet photo albums.
>> Email
>> Text messaging.
>> Bus schedules
>> Bus signaling light
>> Voice recorder
>> Video games
>> Not tied to Amazon
>> Thousands more applications, most of them free or 99 cents.
>> $300 plus $80/mo-$100/mo cell service.
>> It is always in my pocket.
>>
>> What can a Kindle do. How much does the Kindle cost?
>> --
>> John Kimmel
>>

>> So in this world
>> Of the simple and odd,
>> The bent and plain,
>> The unbalanced bod,
>> The imperfect people
>> And differently pawed,
>> Some live without love...
>> That's how they're flawed.

Granby
July 24th 09, 10:57 PM
Yep, Lee and I were just discussing those very things.
"Jofirey" > wrote in message
> They are pretty useless for someone with 'old eyes' and poor hearing as
> well.
>
> Jo
>
> "Granby" > wrote in message
>> With all due respect to your iphone, which for a fully sighted person IS
>> a wonderful thing, for the ones discussing the Kindle, it would be a
>> waste of time.
>> Most of the many things the iphone can do are lost on a visually impaired
>> person.
>>>>

>>> Because you can compare yourself. Google the Kindle, see what it can do
>>> and how much it costs. Here's a few things my iphone can do:
>>>
>>> Read books.
>>> Play audio books.
>>> Watch high resolution video in color.
>>> Listen to music.
>>> Lots of free books, video, music available including anything in public
>>> domain.
>>> Full Internet access anywhere.
>>> Look up song lyrics while I'm at a concert so I can sing along with
>>> Riders in the Sky.
>>> Fit in shirt pocket.
>>> GPS with maps of the entire world.
>>> Satellite images of the entire world.
>>> Phone with voicemail/call waiting etc.
>>> Rolodex
>>> Phonebook for the entire world.
>>> Yellow pages for entire world.
>>> Restaurant listings and reviews.
>>> Happy hour maps.
>>> Camera
>>> Translate any language into any other.
>>> Weather anywhere in the world.
>>> Calculator
>>> Calendar
>>> Clock, any time zone
>>> Facebook
>>> Usenet (thru google)
>>> Photo album.
>>> Shopping at places other than Amazon.
>>> Internet photo albums.
>>> Email
>>> Text messaging.
>>> Bus schedules
>>> Bus signaling light
>>> Voice recorder
>>> Video games
>>> Not tied to Amazon
>>> Thousands more applications, most of them free or 99 cents.
>>> $300 plus $80/mo-$100/mo cell service.
>>> It is always in my pocket.
>>>
>>> What can a Kindle do. How much does the Kindle cost?
>>> --
>>> John Kimmel
>>>

>>> So in this world
>>> Of the simple and odd,
>>> The bent and plain,
>>> The unbalanced bod,
>>> The imperfect people
>>> And differently pawed,
>>> Some live without love...
>>> That's how they're flawed.

John F. Eldredge
August 1st 09, 03:10 PM
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 15:41:17 -0500, Granby wrote:

> That is like my GPS always had me on the other side of the covered
> bridge about a block down the road.
> "Lesley" > wrote in message

> On Jul 24, 12:58 pm, "Granby" > wrote:
>> I don't se that anyone over the age of 20 can read an iphone.
>
> One of the funniest things ever happened to me was my gadget obssessed
> friend Chaz got one of the first i-phones and we were sitting in the pub
> and he was showing his new toy off annoucing "It can tell me where I
> am!"
>
> I said "You're in the back bar at the "Black Lion I can tell you that""
>
> He said "No look!"
>
> According to his i-phone he was about 1/2 a mile away on the other side
> of the main road!
>
> Don't EVER get me started on SatNavs
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furbals

I have a GPS unit that I use in my car. I have found that it has a
pretty accurate idea of where I am when I am moving, but, when I stop,
its idea of where I am can be off by 200 feet or more. I suspect that
this behavior may be by design, so that a terrorist scouting out a target
ahead of time for a mortar attack or the like can't get an accurate
reading of where the target is located. It is well known that military
GPS units are more accurate than the units sold to civilians.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from http://pgp.mit.edu

John F. Eldredge
August 1st 09, 03:14 PM
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:58:43 -0500, Granby wrote:

> I don't se that anyone over the age of 20 can read an iphone. Saw two
> today and yeah, they do all of those things but most of the ones that
> had them said the same thing about reading stuff on them, especially
> maps.

I am 51. I don't have an iPhone, but I do have a Blackberry Storm, which
has a screen about the same size as the iPhone's. I don't have a problem
reading the screen except in bright sunlight, which is a problem with
virtually all backlit screens. The Kindle uses a different technique,
reflective rather than backlit, which means that it is easy to read in
bright light, but difficult to read in dim light.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from http://pgp.mit.edu

ScratchMonkey
August 1st 09, 08:05 PM
"Granby" > wrote in
:

> I don't se that anyone over the age of 20 can read an iphone. Saw two
> today and yeah, they do all of those things but most of the ones that
> had them said the same thing about reading stuff on them, especially
> maps.

Beverage Warning:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/apple_claims_new_iphone_only?
utm_source=b-section

Stormmee
August 3rd 09, 02:45 AM
my sister has had a blackberry and now an i phone, she says the ip is harder
to read, Lee... she is hmmm oh yeah 44, Lee