PDA

View Full Version : Wow!

cshenk
March 26th 10, 01:04 AM
Daisy cat came to sit in my lap again!

Cool! Daisy is a rescued relatively high semi-feral.

dgk
March 26th 10, 01:37 PM
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 20:04:03 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Daisy cat came to sit in my lap again!
>
>Cool! Daisy is a rescued relatively high semi-feral.

Few feelings are better. It is a great honor indeed.

cybercat
March 26th 10, 01:56 PM
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Daisy cat came to sit in my lap again!
>
> Cool! Daisy is a rescued relatively high semi-feral.

Wow indeed! You must be doing a few things right!

cshenk
March 26th 10, 10:12 PM
"cybercat" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote in message

>> Daisy cat came to sit in my lap again!

>> Cool! Daisy is a rescued relatively high semi-feral.

> Wow indeed! You must be doing a few things right!

Hehe for you and dgk (combining messages). Yeah, way cool feeling!

She was letting us pet her (but not pick her up) by about 3 weeks for short
times (foster moms all reported they never *saw* her for first 3 months and
no petting). By 2 months Charlotte could pick her up but she never is happy
if Don or I do (so far, perhaps should test that).

She did climb into my lap once in the very early days. It was almost like a
'Thank you Mom' but not again. It was only about 2-3 mins that first time.

Today, she hopped into Don's lap for a 'purrfect petting session' for about
10 mins.

Oh she's a lovely lady and loves to be worshiped with petting and has as
soon as she got comfy with us, but the only time she'd be in your lap was
when you were asleep and felt her furry little self climb gently on the bed
to join you. Before this, she'd sit beside you or let you pet her when she
was in her favorite perch.

She craves the loving attention but is afraid of being hurt again. Now, she
seems to have decided at last, that this can't happen here.

Daisy-chan (little cat, little love, Japanese and no exact translation
possible) history can not be known. We can infer a reasonable amount from
her behavior. Abused by toddler probably as a kitten (xrays and previous
broken ribs in same pattern as toddler squeezes) and tossed out at a very
young age but past weening likely (loves dogs so they must have had them and
dogs that knew cats). May have lived wild from age 4 months or so to about
9-12 months (age not really known). Spayed while pregnant but records do
not show if it was apparently first pregnancy or second. I assume first.

I forgot when last posting to add up her other years based on how long she
has been with us. She is someplace between 4 and 5, having been with us 2
years.

cshenk
March 28th 10, 01:43 AM
LOL!

I'm now being mobbed by the cat. She knows no half measures! Hehe she has
decided someplace in her kitty brain that after dark, she can mug us all she
wants to. Now it includes crawling in laps and carefully washing every inch
of your fingers.

Fortunately she's always been careful with the claws (some just are,
naturally, best I can tell).

cybercat
March 28th 10, 03:44 AM
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> LOL!
>
> I'm now being mobbed by the cat. She knows no half measures! Hehe she
> has decided someplace in her kitty brain that after dark, she can mug us
> all she wants to. Now it includes crawling in laps and carefully washing
> every inch of your fingers.

This is totally endearing.

> Fortunately she's always been careful with the claws (some just are,
> naturally, best I can tell).

I think this is true. Gracie always has been, Bella not so much. :)

cshenk
March 28th 10, 09:50 PM
"cybercat" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote
>> I'm now being mobbed by the cat. She knows no half measures! Hehe she
>> has decided someplace in her kitty brain that after dark, she can mug us
>> all she wants to. Now it includes crawling in laps and carefully washing
>> every inch of your fingers.

> This is totally endearing.

Tickles too! She's not quite to the level of laying in your lap (too soon,
give her time) but perching there and letting you gently surround her with
your arms for short spates of petting is definately allowed. She even let
me pick her up and cuddled my shoulder for a moment!

>> Fortunately she's always been careful with the claws (some just are,
>> naturally, best I can tell).

> I think this is true. Gracie always has been, Bella not so much. :)

Yes, some of my cats had to be clipped pretty often as they never got the
hint . Daisy only gets clipped with her every 6 month vet visit (we insist
then for their safety and warn in advance because she's not that well
behaved at the vets). More often isnt needed for her and if it weren't to
protect the vet, I'd not bother then.

LOL, so ok, I also have the first cat that has ever damaged furniture. My
poor lazyboy chair has a small tatter now. After some 30 cats, with only 2
declawed (rescues you've heard of), it was about time. I think a bit of
fancy burlap with twine and some pretty brick-a-brack will make that edge
into a happy cat scratch since she obviously likes it. Works for us!

dgk
March 30th 10, 02:20 PM
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:50:06 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:

>"cybercat" wrote
>> "cshenk" wrote
>>> I'm now being mobbed by the cat. She knows no half measures! Hehe she
>>> has decided someplace in her kitty brain that after dark, she can mug us
>>> all she wants to. Now it includes crawling in laps and carefully washing
>>> every inch of your fingers.
>
>> This is totally endearing.
>
>Tickles too! She's not quite to the level of laying in your lap (too soon,
>give her time) but perching there and letting you gently surround her with
>your arms for short spates of petting is definately allowed. She even let
>me pick her up and cuddled my shoulder for a moment!
>
>>> Fortunately she's always been careful with the claws (some just are,
>>> naturally, best I can tell).
>
>> I think this is true. Gracie always has been, Bella not so much. :)
>
>Yes, some of my cats had to be clipped pretty often as they never got the
>hint . Daisy only gets clipped with her every 6 month vet visit (we insist
>then for their safety and warn in advance because she's not that well
>behaved at the vets). More often isnt needed for her and if it weren't to
>protect the vet, I'd not bother then.
>
>LOL, so ok, I also have the first cat that has ever damaged furniture. My
>poor lazyboy chair has a small tatter now. After some 30 cats, with only 2
>declawed (rescues you've heard of), it was about time. I think a bit of
>fancy burlap with twine and some pretty brick-a-brack will make that edge
>into a happy cat scratch since she obviously likes it. Works for us!

I have a lazy boy type chair that is just in shreds. Oddly, it's the
only furniture that has been damaged by the cats outside of some
inadvertent scratches on two leather chairs. But this one is in the
computer room and is thus ok to have in taters although the SO does
request that it be thrown out. But it was my father's chair so I play
the sympathy card and the chair stays. Besides, it has one of those
really big mushy backs, and at the top it forms an indented -- sort of
hard to describe.

Look at this one:

http://www.reclinersplus.com/fabric-recliners/contemporary/infernopushbackrecliner.cfm

That's sort of like that but you can't really see that the top of the
rear cushion forms a sort of cat hammock where it meets the back
support of the chair. Espy just LOVES to lie in that space.

cybercat
March 30th 10, 05:30 PM
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" wrote
>> "cshenk" wrote
>>> I'm now being mobbed by the cat. She knows no half measures! Hehe she
>>> has decided someplace in her kitty brain that after dark, she can mug us
>>> all she wants to. Now it includes crawling in laps and carefully
>>> washing every inch of your fingers.
>
>> This is totally endearing.
>
> Tickles too! She's not quite to the level of laying in your lap (too
> soon, give her time) but perching there and letting you gently surround
> her with your arms for short spates of petting is definately allowed. She
> even let me pick her up and cuddled my shoulder for a moment!
>
>>> Fortunately she's always been careful with the claws (some just are,
>>> naturally, best I can tell).
>
>> I think this is true. Gracie always has been, Bella not so much. :)
>
> Yes, some of my cats had to be clipped pretty often as they never got the
> hint . Daisy only gets clipped with her every 6 month vet visit (we
> insist then for their safety and warn in advance because she's not that
> well behaved at the vets). More often isnt needed for her and if it
> weren't to protect the vet, I'd not bother then.
>
> LOL, so ok, I also have the first cat that has ever damaged furniture. My
> poor lazyboy chair has a small tatter now. After some 30 cats, with only
> 2 declawed (rescues you've heard of), it was about time. I think a bit of
> fancy burlap with twine and some pretty brick-a-brack will make that edge
> into a happy cat scratch since she obviously likes it. Works for us!

I don't know how I missed this post! Your cats are lucky devils. :) We clip
monthly when we do not procrastinate. But Bella's "quick" is very long, I
guess that happens when they go a long time without clipping? So hers have
to stay pretty long. We have Alpine Scratchers everywhere, but they do use
the odd couch corner every now and then. We chose pretty tough fabric, so it
is not bad.

MLB[_2_]
March 30th 10, 05:38 PM
dgk wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:50:06 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> "cybercat" wrote
>>> "cshenk" wrote
>>> This is totally endearing.
>> Tickles too! She's not quite to the level of laying in your lap (too soon,
>> give her time) but perching there and letting you gently surround her with
>> your arms for short spates of petting is definately allowed. She even let
>> me pick her up and cuddled my shoulder for a moment!

>>> I think this is true. Gracie always has been, Bella not so much. :)
>> Yes, some of my cats had to be clipped pretty often as they never got the
>> hint . Daisy only gets clipped with her every 6 month vet visit (we insist
>> then for their safety and warn in advance because she's not that well
>> behaved at the vets). More often isnt needed for her and if it weren't to
>> protect the vet, I'd not bother then.
>>
>> LOL, so ok, I also have the first cat that has ever damaged furniture. My
>> poor lazyboy chair has a small tatter now. After some 30 cats, with only 2
>> declawed (rescues you've heard of), it was about time. I think a bit of
>> fancy burlap with twine and some pretty brick-a-brack will make that edge
>> into a happy cat scratch since she obviously likes it. Works for us!
>

> I have a lazy boy type chair that is just in shreds. Oddly, it's the
> only furniture that has been damaged by the cats outside of some
> inadvertent scratches on two leather chairs. But this one is in the
> computer room and is thus ok to have in taters although the SO does
> request that it be thrown out. But it was my father's chair so I play
> the sympathy card and the chair stays. Besides, it has one of those
> really big mushy backs, and at the top it forms an indented -- sort of
> hard to describe.
>
> Look at this one:
>
> http://www.reclinersplus.com/fabric-recliners/contemporary/infernopushbackrecliner.cfm
>
> That's sort of like that but you can't really see that the top of the
> rear cushion forms a sort of cat hammock where it meets the back
> support of the chair. Espy just LOVES to lie in that space.

If you wanted, you could have it re-upholstered. My DIL took up
upholstery as a hobby. I have had several chairs done over the years
and it has worked out. MLB

cshenk
March 31st 10, 01:38 AM
"cybercat" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote

>> LOL, so ok, I also have the first cat that has ever damaged furniture.
>> My poor lazyboy chair has a small tatter now. After some 30 cats, with
>> only 2 declawed (rescues you've heard of), it was about time. I think a
>> bit of fancy burlap with twine and some pretty brick-a-brack will make
>> that edge into a happy cat scratch since she obviously likes it. Works
>> for us!

> I don't know how I missed this post! Your cats are lucky devils. :) We
> clip monthly when we do not procrastinate. But Bella's "quick" is very
> long, I guess that happens when they go a long time without clipping?

I'm not sure. Honestly, we only clipped some of them. (BTW as i typo to
you, Daisy turns lap kitty. She now climbs in my lap in daylight and likes
to be gently encircled).

> So hers have to stay pretty long. We have Alpine Scratchers everywhere,
> but they do use the odd couch corner every now and then. We chose pretty
> tough fabric, so it is not bad.

Same here. Its not a worry that she selected one item and the damage is
easily covered. I got the material today on the way home and will do it
this weekend with an upholstery needle. It will take about 45 mins but do to
the design I want to make for her. The chair looks kinda like the one dgk
posted but fabric covered.

(dgk, I'll get back with you later, pressed for time tonight, sorry).

dgk
March 31st 10, 03:12 PM
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:38:41 -0600, MLB > wrote:

>dgk wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:50:06 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:
>>
>>> "cybercat" wrote
>>> Tickles too! She's not quite to the level of laying in your lap (too soon,
>>> give her time) but perching there and letting you gently surround her with
>>> your arms for short spates of petting is definately allowed. She even let
>>> me pick her up and cuddled my shoulder for a moment!

>>> Yes, some of my cats had to be clipped pretty often as they never got the
>>> hint . Daisy only gets clipped with her every 6 month vet visit (we insist
>>> then for their safety and warn in advance because she's not that well
>>> behaved at the vets). More often isnt needed for her and if it weren't to
>>> protect the vet, I'd not bother then.
>>>
>>> LOL, so ok, I also have the first cat that has ever damaged furniture. My
>>> poor lazyboy chair has a small tatter now. After some 30 cats, with only 2
>>> declawed (rescues you've heard of), it was about time. I think a bit of
>>> fancy burlap with twine and some pretty brick-a-brack will make that edge
>>> into a happy cat scratch since she obviously likes it. Works for us!
>>

>> I have a lazy boy type chair that is just in shreds. Oddly, it's the
>> only furniture that has been damaged by the cats outside of some
>> inadvertent scratches on two leather chairs. But this one is in the
>> computer room and is thus ok to have in taters although the SO does
>> request that it be thrown out. But it was my father's chair so I play
>> the sympathy card and the chair stays. Besides, it has one of those
>> really big mushy backs, and at the top it forms an indented -- sort of
>> hard to describe.
>>
>> Look at this one:
>>
>> http://www.reclinersplus.com/fabric-recliners/contemporary/infernopushbackrecliner.cfm
>>
>> That's sort of like that but you can't really see that the top of the
>> rear cushion forms a sort of cat hammock where it meets the back
>> support of the chair. Espy just LOVES to lie in that space.
>

>If you wanted, you could have it re-upholstered. My DIL took up
>upholstery as a hobby. I have had several chairs done over the years
>and it has worked out. MLB

Not worth it. The mechanism is pretty shot as well. My father has been
dead for twenty years and they had that chair a long time before he
died. I really do just hold onto it because Espy loves it so much.
Plus, I guess, it was my father's chair and I would feel bad throwing
it out. It likely will go fairly soon though. I could put in another
cat tree and Espy would probably like that just as much.

MLB[_2_]
April 2nd 10, 12:43 AM
dgk wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:38:41 -0600, MLB > wrote:
>
>> dgk wrote:

>>> I have a lazy boy type chair that is just in shreds. Oddly, it's the
>>> only furniture that has been damaged by the cats outside of some
>>> inadvertent scratches on two leather chairs. But this one is in the
>>> computer room and is thus ok to have in taters although the SO does
>>> request that it be thrown out. But it was my father's chair so I play
>>> the sympathy card and the chair stays. Besides, it has one of those
>>> really big mushy backs, and at the top it forms an indented -- sort of
>>> hard to describe.
>>>
>>> Look at this one:
>>>
>>> http://www.reclinersplus.com/fabric-recliners/contemporary/infernopushbackrecliner.cfm
>>>
>>> That's sort of like that but you can't really see that the top of the
>>> rear cushion forms a sort of cat hammock where it meets the back
>>> support of the chair. Espy just LOVES to lie in that space.
>>

>> If you wanted, you could have it re-upholstered. My DIL took up
>> upholstery as a hobby. I have had several chairs done over the years
>> and it has worked out. MLB
>
> Not worth it. The mechanism is pretty shot as well. My father has been
> dead for twenty years and they had that chair a long time before he
> died. I really do just hold onto it because Espy loves it so much.
> Plus, I guess, it was my father's chair and I would feel bad throwing
> it out. It likely will go fairly soon though. I could put in another
> cat tree and Espy would probably like that just as much.

You are probably right. The frame of the chair is most important. If
it is weak or not well made, it is best to forget it. MLB